You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
murder_0ne

Anchorage- deeply disappointing

44 comments in this topic

[LZ1]
Members
291 posts
6,188 battles

I've only played a few games in the ship but it's enough for me to know that the ship isn't for me. Really disappointing after all the effort to get it. I really don't get why WG keeps adding ships that are fundamentally crippled from the start. The US BB split for example. The British heavy cruiser line being another example. Tremendously disappointing.

The Anchorage's armor is completely underwhelming and it's just one big citadel. A single decent volley from any BB and you're deleted regardless of angling. Thus far I haven't played a single game that wasn't Tier 10 MM. Being Tier 8 the MM is terrible and frankly I don't expect to get any good MM with any regularity.

The DPM is horrible with the exceptionally low ROF. The turret angles aren't great, forcing you to give a lot of broadside and the smoke firing penalty is so bad that you might as well not even be in smoke in the first place. Turret rotation speed is terrible. As soon as a DD is inside 8km of your smoke you're done. Which is basically all the time. Range is short at 15.6km, the torps are a welcome addition with great range but are again crippled with terrible angles. The maneuverability is pretty terrible across the board with slow acceleration, poor top speed, large turning circle and terrible rudder shift.

I was thinking that this would be something of a mini Des Moines (mini meaning less DPM and less HP) with torps and smoke but what we got was an overgrown Omaha with smoke. Yes, it's that bad. I'd pick a Fiji over this thing any day of the week. Yes it's that bad. It doesn't do anything well and does everything poorly. It's niche is being on the top of everyone's "easy to kill" list. I really wish WG allowed players to try unique ships on the test server to see if they're worth working towards before wasting all the effort to acquire them only to realize that they're terrible.

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 4

Beta Testers
3,253 posts
26,913 battles

That's the problem !  Everybody is spoiled ...................................

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 4

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,306 posts
12,208 battles

it truly does pay for having US smoke and Fletcher torps, mostly in the gun reload and the AA departments, though the gun reload could be amounted to it having 12 USN 203s at T8

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,296 posts
22,194 battles
10 minutes ago, murder_0ne said:

Really disappointing after all the effort to get it.

It's a unique ship.  Just because a premium comes out and doesn't dominate doesn't mean it's not worth it.  It's just fun to have a variety of ships that play differently.  

• Cool 10
  • Meh 1

[WKY13]
Members
549 posts
11,196 battles

For $12 I don't have any complaints. I just treat it like a Baltimore with smoke and torps. Follow a BB in smoke up and fire it up. Fun times.

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
24 minutes ago, murder_0ne said:

The British heavy cruiser line being another example. Tremendously disappointing.

Wait what?

Call me British but I've enjoyed the RN CAs once I learned how to work em.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[KILL]
Members
998 posts
11,536 battles

so you want to get off all your guns while being immune to battleships.  Have smoke, torps,  it';s amaerican so good aa?,  and hows it's concealment?   at tier 8?    News FLash,  Tier 8 ships suck!  Deal with it.

• Boring 2

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
15,997 battles
4 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Wait what?

Call me British but I've enjoyed the RN CAs once I learned how to work em.

Ya pom!

Edit: I have to agree with the OP on UK CAs - they aren’t particularly good. Most of the time, the situations they are in another nations’ ship would have done just as well or better which raises the question of why do they exist and what is their niche. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[O7]
Supertester
310 posts
12,876 battles
30 minutes ago, murder_0ne said:

The Anchorage's armor is completely underwhelming and it's just one big citadel. A single decent volley from any BB and you're deleted regardless of angling. Thus far I haven't played a single game that wasn't Tier 10 MM. Being Tier 8 the MM is terrible and frankly I don't expect to get any good MM with any regularity.

The DPM is horrible with the exceptionally low ROF. The turret angles aren't great, forcing you to give a lot of broadside and the smoke firing penalty is so bad that you might as well not even be in smoke in the first place. Turret rotation speed is terrible. As soon as a DD is inside 8km of your smoke you're done. Which is basically all the time. Range is short at 15.6km, the torps are a welcome addition with great range but are again crippled with terrible angles. The maneuverability is pretty terrible across the board with slow acceleration, poor top speed, large turning circle and terrible rudder shift.

I was thinking that this would be something of a mini Des Moines (mini meaning less DPM and less HP) with torps and smoke but what we got was an overgrown Omaha with smoke. Yes, it's that bad. I'd pick a Fiji over this thing any day of the week. Yes it's that bad. It doesn't do anything well and does everything poorly. It's niche is being on the top of everyone's "easy to kill" list. I really wish WG allowed players to try unique ships on the test server to see if they're worth working towards before wasting all the effort to acquire them only to realize that they're terrible.

Anchorage's hull is covered in 27mm armor compared to the 25mm typically seen on other cruisers. You can bounce 380mm and smaller AP shells, useful given the number of sub 15" guns she faces in her tier bracket. 

Smoke firing penalty is 8km. It's the worst of the cruisers, but hardly unworkable. If you are constantly close enough to where the 8km detection is an issue, your positioning needs improvement. You also shouldn't be in positions where the DD can run up to you for free. 

Smoke is a lot of the reason why the rest of Anchorage's stats are mediocre. Having cruiser level firepower in the safety of smoke is an extremely powerful combo, necessitating tradeoffs in other areas. Lest you get another Kutuzov or Smolensk. Anchorage is still a very capable cruiser simply due to the powerful combination of US smoke and cruiser firepower. Once you overcome her handling issues, she is a nightmare to face as she farms everyone from the safety of her smoke. 

Edited by Your_SAT_Score
  • Cool 2

[-VT-]
Members
949 posts
27,046 battles

Its a support ship, you have to work with another ship to be effective. For a cruiser you have good conceal, use your smoke support your BBs. You can't push with it don't try, you can light fires really well and yo do have 12, 203HE.  on the 12 guns just because you have them doesn't mean you have to turn an shoot al 12 every time. Pick you spots.  Its a opportunist.  

Edited by vikingno2

Members
4,354 posts
4,615 battles
51 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Better which raises the question of why do they exist and what is their niche. 

According to Notser, they push. Later up the line they have the bow armor to bounce shells and the heal to bounce right back in an engagement. That's not to say you need to pull a Gneisenau and try to brawl, all secondaries blazing, right away. You have just enough maximum range to safely engage in combat, use your 203-234mm guns to lay on the hurt, and when the time is right you have the tools to push when needed. In theory anyways.

Cheshire I noticed has really good secondary angles. You can nearly have all 8 guns firing in a bow in angle. Its pretty wild. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[SALVO]
Members
5,367 posts
4,575 battles
1 hour ago, murder_0ne said:

The British heavy cruiser line being another example. Tremendously disappointing.

If I had a cup of tea for every time I read comments like this one... :cap_tea:

What ever statement you do afterwards is tainted. 

• Funny 1

[RIO]
Members
36 posts
7,794 battles

I feel they could have given both a plane and hydro and it wouldn't have effected the balance that much. Maybe a bit more range would be nice too; its currently mostly a mid-range ship that has to choose to be a sometimes longer-range support via the spotter or a closer-range support with the hydro.

Members
411 posts
16,743 battles

Enh, it’s a tier 8 cruiser. Like pretty much every other it sucks up tiered and is borderline OP facing tier sixes.

I think it plays too much like an Edinburgh, but it’s fine for a freeish ship. I’d rather that than it playing like the broken as hell Belfast.

[POSM]
Members
139 posts
1,994 battles
3 hours ago, murder_0ne said:

I've only played a few games in the ship but it's enough for me to know that the ship isn't for me. Really disappointing after all the effort to get it. I really don't get why WG keeps adding ships that are fundamentally crippled from the start. The US BB split for example. The British heavy cruiser line being another example. Tremendously disappointing.

It is literally a fully upgraded Buffalo that has less ROF, looses the SH shells and some AA in exchange for torps, smoke, and going down a tier. It has the exact same armor, same 15.6 km range, same rudder shift, same speed, same acceleration, same turning circle, same turret rotation speed, and im going to assume same turret angles. It is literally the exact same thing as a Buffalo only trading rof, some alpha and AA(useless anyway) to go DOWN a tier. Assuming you’ve played the US CA line you should know exactly what the anchorage was before buying it, play it like a buffalo that just happens to have smoke instead of radar. 

Members
809 posts

I've only played one game so far and didn't hate it, but it definitely felt weaker than the Baltimore and Cleveland. I didn't do an enormous amount of damage - 60k - because I was citadeled while heavily angled by an Iowa from like 17km, and had to play much more conservatively.  

[LZ1]
Members
291 posts
6,188 battles
1 hour ago, jwatt_ said:

It is literally a fully upgraded Buffalo that has less ROF, looses the SH shells and some AA in exchange for torps, smoke, and going down a tier. It has the exact same armor, same 15.6 km range, same rudder shift, same speed, same acceleration, same turning circle, same turret rotation speed, and im going to assume same turret angles. It is literally the exact same thing as a Buffalo only trading rof, some alpha and AA(useless anyway) to go DOWN a tier. Assuming you’ve played the US CA line you should know exactly what the anchorage was before buying it, play it like a buffalo that just happens to have smoke instead of radar. 

Maybe my issue is that I've only had T10 games so far. As in every game thus far has been T10. It might play much better in a T8 with mostly T6 ships. But of course it would.

[POSM]
Members
139 posts
1,994 battles
1 hour ago, murder_0ne said:

Maybe my issue is that I've only had T10 games so far. As in every game thus far has been T10. It might play much better in a T8 with mostly T6 ships. But of course it would.

I haven’t played mine yet so I can’t give first hand experience, I’ll post again after I’ve played a couple games but on paper it seems identical to the T9 except for hp, ROF, and the AP shell. Are you playing open water, behind islands, or smoke farming? And are you actively using the torpedos or are you using them for self defense? I would recommend not using the torps and playing behind islands or open water if you like dodging, and using the smoke in emergencies. I’ll update with how that goes for me either tonight or tomorrow. 

[ANK-A]
Members
1,342 posts
11,028 battles
6 hours ago, murder_0ne said:

I was thinking that this would be something of a mini Des Moines (mini meaning less DPM and less HP) with torps and smoke but what we got was an overgrown Omaha with smoke. Yes, it's that bad.

It's not bad.  It's citadel is actually better protected than DMs, but Iowa can citadel any cruiser that isn't very angled.

The base range is the same as all other USN 203's.  Unfortunately at T8 you can't extend it.

Now that said, I'm not particularly impressed either.  Late in the testing process they removed the Buffalo's Super AP for New Orleans/Pepsi shells and took a few seconds off the reload as well as shortened the smoke time a bit.  The smoke time I can understand, the removal of the SH AP and especially the ROF nerf I do not.  15.5 seconds is really long and puts the DPM well behind the Baltimore's which does have the super heavy.  There might be some comparison to the Atago, but the Atago has better ballistics, more torps, and most importantly a heal.  If the Anchorage had a heal, I would be much happier with it.  When you look at T8 premiums, Japan, Germany, Russia (and RN of course) all have a ship with a heal.  Oh those with full lines, only the USN and France do not have that option... It's ashame that was not rectified here.... and anyway, the French have the Bayard which has the highest cruiser stats in the tier. 

Like Tashkent or Khaba, they should make it an option to pick one or the other.

Members
40 posts
127 battles
8 hours ago, jwatt_ said:

It has the exact same armor,

There are some differences: turret armour (thicker in Buffalo) and underwater citadel protection (which is strangely thicker in the T8 Anchorage)

Members
661 posts
12 hours ago, Akeno017 said:

Call me British

Well, if your going to be British, might as well go hardcore mode and change your username to 'Fred Dibnah'.  Doesnt get more British than him.

Edited by Farm_Fresh_Eggs
Mashing the wrong keys