You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmNimitz41

I bought the Des Moines. Where's the radar?

32 comments in this topic

[GONE]
Members
247 posts
6,687 battles

Wiki says:  "Slot 2: Damage Control System Modification 1 (Reduces the risk of fire and flooding.: -5% to the risk of fire. / -3% to the risk of flooding when torpedoes hit the torpedo protection.) lessen the fire damage taken, or Surveillance Radar Modification 1 (Increases the action time of the Surveillance Radar consumable.:  +20% action time.) if it is available."

WTH do they mean by "IF"? I looked & it's not there.  Would I want a tissue paper armored ship without it? I don't think so! Can I get it somehow, or am I screwed? 

• Funny 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Meh 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,778 posts
15,774 battles
4 minutes ago, AdmNimitz41 said:

Wiki says:  "Slot 2: Damage Control System Modification 1 (Reduces the risk of fire and flooding.: -5% to the risk of fire. / -3% to the risk of flooding when torpedoes hit the torpedo protection.) lessen the fire damage taken, or Surveillance Radar Modification 1 (Increases the action time of the Surveillance Radar consumable.:  +20% action time.) if it is available."

WTH do they mean by "IF"? I looked & it's not there.  Would I want a tissue paper armored ship without it? I don't think so! Can I get it somehow, or am I screwed? 

You buy that module in the armory

[DOINK]
Members
41 posts
14,048 battles

Should be available in the consumable slot that contains the Fighter/Spotting Aircraft/Radar

Edited by ScortLX

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,332 posts
16,729 battles
6 minutes ago, AdmNimitz41 said:

Des Moines can equip the following consumables:

Valkyrie Chooser of the Slain#7.png

Edited by shadowsrmine

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,937 battles
4 minutes ago, AdmNimitz41 said:

Snip*

You can change out you consumables.

I would, if I were you, swap spotter plane for radar.

That'll fix your issues.

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake

[FML]
Members
4,083 posts
15,933 battles
11 minutes ago, AdmNimitz41 said:

Two separate things. 
1) Radar consumable replaces your spotter/fighter plane. Fix that on the Consumables tab in port.

2) The module referred to above is not required to make your radar work. It does lengthen it’s duration though. You can buy one of these modules in the Armoury for coal (13k iirc). 

[GONE]
Members
247 posts
6,687 battles
2 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Two separate things. 
1) Radar consumable replaces your spotter/fighter plane. Fix that on the Consumables tab in port.

2) The module referred to above is not required to make your radar work. It does lengthen it’s duration though. You can buy one of these modules in the Armoury for coal (13k iirc). 

Thank you. I'm seeing it under both upgrades & consumables. Do I need both? I did pick up the upgrade in the armory.

[FML]
Members
4,083 posts
15,933 battles
7 minutes ago, AdmNimitz41 said:

Thank you. I'm seeing it under both upgrades & consumables. Do I need both? I did pick up the upgrade in the armory.

No, you don’t need both. You should run the radar consumable over the planes. But lots of people opt for the radar module as well to provide maximum spotting of enemy destroyers etc so your team has more time to kill them. But you need to decide what you value more for your gameplay - linger radar duration or whatever the module you were going to put into that slot. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[GONE]
Members
247 posts
6,687 battles
2 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

No, you don’t need both. You should run the radar consumable over the planes. But lots of people opt for the radar module as well to provide maximum spotting of enemy destroyers etc so your team has more time to kill them. But you need to decide what you value more for your gameplay - linger radar duration or whatever the module you were going to put into that slot. 

One of them is replacing damage control mod 1 in upgrades. Given the weak armor, that may be a bad idea. I'll play it a while & see. Either way, I'll keep the one in consumables.

Thank you!

[PIMPS]
Members
1,727 posts
28 minutes ago, murder_0ne said:

6k battles and you still don't understand the basics of the game? Wow.

Doesn't visit here much also.

[NSEW]
Members
2,098 posts
11,306 battles
37 minutes ago, AdmNimitz41 said:

OK, I found it in Slot 3, THANKS. 

I smiled at this. Funny hooah?

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,800 posts
4,733 battles
6 minutes ago, AdmNimitz41 said:

You don't know how to use the wiki, either.  Clicking on the Surveillance Radar Modification 1 (Increases the action time of the Surveillance Radar consumable.:  +20% action time.) link that you yourself quoted will take you to an explanation of what the upgrade is and how you get and apply it. And it will state clearly that it doesn't work at all if you don't also have the Surveillance Radar consumable mounted.

BTW, if you want to extend radar duration even more, mount the Ship Consumables Modification 1 upgrade in Slot 5 for an additional 10%.

[GONE]
Members
247 posts
6,687 battles
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

You don't know how to use the wiki, either.  Clicking on the Surveillance Radar Modification 1 (Increases the action time of the Surveillance Radar consumable.:  +20% action time.) link that you yourself quoted will take you to an explanation of what the upgrade is and how you get and apply it. And it will state clearly that it doesn't work at all if you don't also have the Surveillance Radar consumable mounted.

BTW, if you want to extend radar duration even more, mount the Ship Consumables Modification 1 upgrade in Slot 5 for an additional 10%.

You have a point there. I did go right past that link. Thanks for the "heads up".

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,153 posts
16,382 battles
12 minutes ago, AdmNimitz41 said:

Thanks for the "heads up"

Hi,

I would like to add something into this, pls dont rush up the line. The DM very nasty ship when play it right, she radar heavy and very useful at the right angle. I think you should slow down, go back and play from t6 to t9 to get the "feeling" and adjust your angle skills and honed other skills before jump back to the DM. It a very serious discredit when you said "tissue paper armor", and with the lack of experiences from less battle count, i dont think you can handle t10 yet. 1 mistake will get you punish heavily when play against other skills players.

Plus you need to save credit up to play t10

regards,

[WOLFC]
Members
3,065 posts
3 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

It's under the sun visor. The red button, can't miss it

Yep, it fixes all problems ...

• Haha 2

[GONE]
Members
247 posts
6,687 battles
2 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

Hi,

I would like to add something into this, pls dont rush up the line. The DM very nasty ship when play it right, she radar heavy and very useful at the right angle. I think you should slow down, go back and play from t6 to t9 to get the "feeling" and adjust your angle skills and honed other skills before jump back to the DM. It a very serious discredit when you said "tissue paper armor", and with the lack of experiences from less battle count, i dont think you can handle t10 yet. 1 mistake will get you punish heavily when play against other skills players.

Plus you need to save credit up to play t10

regards,

Basically, I'm a BB player with a slow computer. I needed another ship for Clan battles & heard good things about the DM, so I will have to learn how to play it. And yeah, it is expensive to play!  ; D

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,392 posts
4,198 battles
1 hour ago, AdmNimitz41 said:

One of them is replacing damage control mod 1 in upgrades. Given the weak armor, that may be a bad idea. I'll play it a while & see. Either way, I'll keep the one in consumables.

Thank you!

Uh, DamaCon 1 does nothing for your armor. IIRC it reduces fire and flood chance by a couple percent. Not really noticeable, especially on a CA that shouldn't be tanking (DM is generally the one starting the fires). Radar Mod is the best option IMO, nearly a minute of 10km radar.

And DM actually has pretty decent armor, for a CA. Angle and you can bounce a good percentage of even BB shells. Don't try it for too long though cause eventually something will just overmatch. And anything with more than 18" guns doesn't give a crapabout your armor.

I'm a little concerned that you seem to have zero clue about USN CAs and yet are getting ready to jump into T10 Clan Battles...have you even played the rest of the line?

[0456]
Members
3,822 posts
10,091 battles
35 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

I would like to add something into this, pls dont rush up the line. 

Too late. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too late. 

11 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

I'm a little concerned that you seem to have zero clue about USN CAs and yet are getting ready to jump into T10 Clan Battles...have you even played the rest of the line?

That's what made me take a glance at what I glance at and... suffice to say "Where we're going we won't need eyes to see." 

You're screwed regardless. 

And I know it sounds mean but holy [edited] man... Wow. 

Edited by _ENO_

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,392 posts
4,198 battles
6 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

Too late. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too late. 

That's what made me take a glance at what I glance at and... suffice to say "Where we're going we won't need eyes to see." 

You're screwed regardless. 

And I know it sounds mean but holy [edited] man... Wow. 

I feel sorry for the rest of his clan, from the looks of it their radar cruiser is going to be clueless.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,800 posts
4,733 battles

Basically, I'm a BB player with a slow computer. I needed another ship for Clan battles & heard good things about the DM, so I will have to learn how to play it. And yeah, it is expensive to play!  ; D

You might be better off in Salem.  She doesn't lose money. And that heal!  Lets you make a mistake.  (one)

I'm on a slow machine too.  Props to WG for making WoWS playable on junk.

Edited by iDuckman

[TIMT]
Members
944 posts
4,172 battles
46 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

And DM actually has pretty decent armor, for a CA. Angle and you can bounce a good percentage of even BB shells. Don't try it for too long though cause eventually something will just overmatch. And anything with more than 18" guns doesn't give a crapabout your armor.

She might have had decent armor at some point, but after the IFHE changes and with all the powercreep going on her armor is nothing to brag about. She gets overmatched by almost everthing through the bow (except 15inch) and the constant proliferation of 18inch guns or 30mm overmatch means being able to bounce BB shells is the exception and not the rule. Many cruisers have better armor than her, so her strength lies in using island cover, concealment and maneuverability, as well as her ridiculous firepower.