Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HolyWaterCow

New to French BBs, builds for mid/high tier BBs?

4 comments in this topic

[R-SKY]
Members
64 posts
17,120 battles

I've only been on the receiving end of French BBs and tend to notice that they use both AP and HE and some of them have great secondaries. Are secondary builds (both mods and capt skills) viable for the mid-high tier BBs? I notice most the ships have quadruple turrets, speed, and good secondaries so I'm guessing a bow-in secondary build and switching between AP/HE depending on the situation is the way to go?

I could of course figure it out by just playing the ships but I only have a couple experienced French captains and don't want to end up wasting dubloons/commander XP resetting their skills over and over for each ship (and I want to avoid spending loads of credits on different modules). So for tier7-t10, any recommendations? Are any of the ships significantly different from the others (meaning, they require a completely different build/capt build than other BBs in the line)? Thanks.

[POP]
Members
4,656 posts
12,351 battles

Unless you're planning on running them in co-op, the French battleships don't do well with secondary builds because of the 32mm plating, so if you're in range to use secondaries (even with a full build) you're going to be melted by HE spam from everything that's shooting at you. For everything that's not Republique, switching between HE and AP a lot is the way to go, but commander and module wise a normal tank build (PT or PM, EM, AR, SI, CE, FP, BoS or JoaT/EL) and looking to be on a flank getting broadside shots is typically the way you want to play them. Republique is different in that it gets 30mm AP overmatch and (compared to the lower ships) more consistent gun performance, but the build and playstyle are still pretty similar.

[TBW]
Members
10,570 posts
18,077 battles

Main gun accuracy is the way to go over a secondary build for most of them. Secondary build for Hermes is the way to go in that Operation, if it ever comes back. That build would also depend on how they implement CVs in the new Hermes. All other Operations, I prefer main gun accuracy.

[PVE]
Members
6,926 posts
22,666 battles
1 hour ago, HolyWaterCow said:

I've only been on the receiving end of French BBs and tend to notice that they use both AP and HE and some of them have great secondaries. Are secondary builds (both mods and capt skills) viable for the mid-high tier BBs? I notice most the ships have quadruple turrets, speed, and good secondaries so I'm guessing a bow-in secondary build and switching between AP/HE depending on the situation is the way to go?

I could of course figure it out by just playing the ships but I only have a couple experienced French captains and don't want to end up wasting dubloons/commander XP resetting their skills over and over for each ship (and I want to avoid spending loads of credits on different modules). So for tier7-t10, any recommendations? Are any of the ships significantly different from the others (meaning, they require a completely different build/capt build than other BBs in the line)? Thanks.

Grats on getting to Lyon...loads of lols w/those 16 barrels just around the corner for you.

I ran them w/BFT & AFT & remember the 2ndaries not being 1/2 bad...but that was before not only the rework (where AA buffs from those were much more beneficial) but also before IFHE changed everything so no actual experienced data in present meta I could give.

But most definitely want the gun dispersion buff at all costs...

You will connect every volley w/16 barrels even w/out it but the more the merrier...

Sometimes it just doesn't matter what angle a cruiser is at...16 barrels just seems to find cits no matter what angle they try to hide behind.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Sign in to follow this