Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

Making Karma useful

11 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
5,276 posts
4,523 battles

Simple, make Karma visible in match to your team.

There are multiple reasons to have 0 or low Karma. To have a high Karma there's only one explanation, you are a good and reliable team mate.

• Funny 1
  • Meh 3

[WOLF2]
Members
296 posts
7,185 battles

Not quite in game, but it's visible if you use MM Monitor. I find myself paying as much attention to that as I do overall winrate because you're right - if the total is higher than about 50 it means you're probably a veteran player with some meaningful skill. 

[SALVO]
Members
5,276 posts
4,523 battles
2 minutes ago, HTSMetal said:

Not quite in game, but it's visible if you use MM Monitor. I find myself paying as much attention to that as I do overall winrate because you're right - if the total is higher than about 50 it means you're probably a veteran player with some meaningful skill. 

I don't run MMM, first time I read it is visible there. I wonder why people never talk about that fact, seems useful.

Anyway, having it in the core vanilla game would be nice.

• Meh 1

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles

Karma is better off being deleted, or kept in its useless state.

Far too easily abused system otherwise.

• Cool 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,464 posts
17,756 battles

I've read that many carrier players get negative karma every match just because of the ship they're playing. This doesn't make them bad players but they may have very low karma because of it. In your scenario this would make them a less reliable player. 

I've been given negative karma for playing various ships like the Smolensk, Belfast, Giulio Cesare etc. This doesn't make me a bad player either. Further, karma can be a popularity contest as well. I've gotten compliments for everything from my name to my camo to something funny I typed in chat. Again, nothing to do with skill. 

I just don't see where karma is that useful for determining good team mates. 

Members
1,023 posts
15,558 battles
44 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

There are multiple reasons to have 0 or low Karma. To have a high Karma there's only one explanation, you are a good and reliable team mate.

reported.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Members
3,415 posts
40,738 battles

Hmmm, karma in game....

I never got a negative number, so how would that work?

Can you assign colors?

As stated by many in this thread, the system is capable of being abused.

It had its automatic system responses, but the number itself has been rather useless for years.

You can be reported just for showing up in a match. That is how abused it is.

Let's just say, I think WG should work on the game balance and current content for now. Maybe pause on roll out of new stuff and maybe keep that new stuff in PT for 6 months.

Events like promotions can't be helped, but things like new lines might need to be postponed for the 6 months.

Events that are seasonal could be the same as previous year's, but don't overcomplicate it. Keep it simple.

Halloween was fun. Etc.

Sometimes, if it isn't broken, then don't break it.

But if it is broken, then put all your efforts in to that for 6 months.

Work on tuning the game right now. Take your time and maybe consider what worked before and what doesn't.

This seems to be the best time to pause and review the game's progression.

Crank out tons of surveys on login. Be comprehensive with each of those surveys. But focused on specific topics and follow up questions from Devs.

WG can survey guns, HE and fire, AA, adding ship types, skills, etc. But keep the surveys engaging players so WG can have a resource of feedback rather than a forums bombardment each week.

Get the information now while you have the largest player turnout in lockdown.

Because once it's over, it may be too late to ask any of them later. They may leave the game and not tell you why. They just simply not log in anymore.

Document all the data and get it worked on while devs are under no pressure during the 6 months pause. 

It's better to be proactive than reactive to feedback.

In my line of work, I asked people how are certain things working, I get feedback and implement a preventative maintenance of sorts to mitigate issues in the future. By constantly doing follow up with the specific issues, I was able to find a solution to it and install the equipment necessary for the improvement.

It's called continuous improvement, or CI. I never rested on my laurels, I always wanted to make it way better than I found it.

I think this is something that WG should look into. I am sure they have competent people there that can do this, but maybe not the opportunity to try it.

As a company grows, it has to evolve and be prepared to change as a form of improvement. It starts with streamlined organization and CI.

Never just settle for what you have. But rather keep asking yourself, "How can we make it better?"

[SALVO]
Members
5,276 posts
4,523 battles
3 hours ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

I've read that many carrier players get negative karma every match just because of the ship they're playing. This doesn't make them bad players but they may have very low karma because of it. In your scenario this would make them a less reliable player. 

I've been given negative karma for playing various ships like the Smolensk, Belfast, Giulio Cesare etc. This doesn't make me a bad player either. Further, karma can be a popularity contest as well. I've gotten compliments for everything from my name to my camo to something funny I typed in chat. Again, nothing to do with skill. 

I just don't see where karma is that useful for determining good team mates. 

As I said, having 0 or low karma means nothing, it could be you play CVs, it could be your jokes are bad or you are too chatty, it could be your name being offensive, it could be you are just bad. It gives you absolutely no reliable info, so you can assume nothing about that player. 

Otoh, having high Karma is only possible if you reliably perform good enough for your team mates to notice and compliment you. No one gets high karma just for having a funny name. The higher the karma, the more reliable the info about that player.

[OIL-1]
Members
1,291 posts

Lol. They won't even show what clan you're on until the end of the battle,
there's no chance of showing Karma 'in-battle'.

Do you really want to hear me repeat the same whine over and over in these forums?
Why does everyone on the enemy team have good Karma, and everyone on my team have bad Karma?!

• Confused 1

Members
4,354 posts
4,615 battles

Make karma useful by allowing you to use it for poker chip shuffling or rain stick sounds while waiting in queue or after you died. Kind of like hearthstone where you can interact with the board's environment while waiting. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
666 posts
12,560 battles
5 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

This is no reason.  I played my cv from a long break.  We won i lost 4 karma points in that match. not because I did not pull my weight just because I played a cv. Karma is a dumb system that makes the player "fell" like they are doing something.  it should be removed

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this