You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USS_Taylor_Swift

can WG explain the rationale of the random cyclones in CBs?

13 comments in this topic

Members
1,632 posts
1,286 battles

From what I understand this mechanic was put in place to somehow soften the impact of CVs, but from what I've experienced, all it does is further disadvantage a team that's running a BB comp. My clan is one of two clans I've encountered this season that has been running the 2 BB comp, playing CBs on hardmode. Now, these cyclones are supposed to make it harder for the red team with a CV to hit us from being plane spotted, but all it really does is leave us blind and our BBs ineffective while the red CV is still free to farm. In future, if you still insist on forcing the stale gameplay of CVs in clan battles, please remove this mechanic.

[PHD]
Members
868 posts
5,821 battles

They tried to "balance" the most disgusting and game breaking class in the history of gaming. But you cannot balance that which cannot be balanced.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[K-9]
Members
2 posts
10,836 battles

Despite the WoW article explaining how Cyclones between the 4th and 15th minute of battle in this CB season would help to balance/limit CV aircraft spotting, my clan has yet to see a cyclone appear as promised.   The warning about a cyclone has frequently appeared during CB, but it never actually shows up.  :Smile_glasses:

[KSC]
Members
793 posts
10,953 battles
30 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

From what I understand this mechanic was put in place to somehow soften the impact of CVs, but from what I've experienced, all it does is further disadvantage a team that's running a BB comp. My clan is one of two clans I've encountered this season that has been running the 2 BB comp, playing CBs on hardmode. Now, these cyclones are supposed to make it harder for the red team with a CV to hit us from being plane spotted, but all it really does is leave us blind and our BBs ineffective while the red CV is still free to farm. In future, if you still insist on forcing the stale gameplay of CVs in clan battles, please remove this mechanic.

It's two-fold:

A) It's data collection on restricting CV view range to 8km and how that affects the spotting game, as opposed to non-cyclone full view-range games.

B) It's surface ship comp variance.  The unpredictable percentage chance enforces comps that have to be able to survive in long-range fights, while still holding up in mid-range brawls.  The unknown chance forces you to plan for both.

---

There's not a lot you can do to really change clan battles outside of altering the tier, or coming up with some very strange restrictions (no repeated ship of each type, all DD comp, etc...).  This works to vary it up, while also gives WG data.

Edited by Ahskance

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
1 hour ago, SnowBuck1 said:

Despite the WoW article explaining how Cyclones between the 4th and 15th minute of battle in this CB season would help to balance/limit CV aircraft spotting, my clan has yet to see a cyclone appear as promised.   The warning about a cyclone has frequently appeared during CB, but it never actually shows up.  :Smile_glasses:

We finally has a cyclone show up tonight however the battle ended while the cyclone was still only restricting spotting to 14 km out because lets face it, most of these battles end up with a brawl over the cap points anyway. 

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,381 posts
4,923 battles

The cyclcone is totally discredited.

We just crushed the CB opponets harder and faster to win the game before it reached the area in time clock.

Cyclones in Wows are not the storms we are afraid of. The thing only makes it easier to laugh at the pathetic efforts to so called "Balance" a game that refuses to end when one team in this corner and the other team 40 miles away in the opposite corner.

[BONKS]
Members
222 posts
9,240 battles
4 hours ago, xHeavy said:

The cyclcone is totally discredited.

We just crushed the CB opponets harder and faster to win the game before it reached the area in time clock.

Cyclones in Wows are not the storms we are afraid of. The thing only makes it easier to laugh at the pathetic efforts to so called "Balance" a game that refuses to end when one team in this corner and the other team 40 miles away in the opposite corner.

I highly doubt you've steamrolled a competent team in under four minutes.

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,388 posts
21,001 battles
9 hours ago, Akeno017 said:

They only ever appear in the battles without CVs anyway.

Lul.

Working as intended

Members
1,632 posts
1,286 battles
18 hours ago, Ahskance said:

There's not a lot you can do to really change clan battles outside of altering the tier, or coming up with some very strange restrictions (no repeated ship of each type, all DD comp, etc...).  This works to vary it up, while also gives WG data.

Up until recently, CVs were always restricted from CBs. Matches were a lot better before they were introduced. 

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
1,246 posts
19,519 battles

I would assume the idea is to prevent ships on the far caps from nuking a spotted destroyer on the other side of the map.

Russian ships like petropavlovsk have 21km range at nearly 1km per second shell speed. 

They originally wanted to limit spotting to 8km but then they forgot that the spotter plane bug exists and they pushed it up to 14km.

It's allowing more capping for sure, and more flanking. Does it keep the DD alive longer? Yes. Does it change the amount of damage CV does to the destroyer? No.