You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Finally Met a CV Unicum in a FDR

50 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

I've been interested since seeing it to meet an FDR in my Massachusetts. I finally got the opportunity.

The FDR player has a 70% overall win rate with 77% after 367 games in a Midway and 75% after 15 games in an FDR. However, the FDR didn't exactly dominate this game. Overall, our Midway, I think, contributed as much or more to its team. He has a 55% average overall and with the Midway after 213 games.

The FDR attacked me several times but my Massachusetts with a fighter was able to fend it off fairly well. It only landed one really good strike on me from bombs. It finally gave up attacking me, even though I was alone on a flank, and went elsewhere.

image.thumb.png.77c0026d73ba888d397555445d4af7cd.png 

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
15 minutes ago, littleflips said:

Looks like that Des Moines ate a lot of the mid ways planes 

That Des Moines player was good. He got our last CL and our last BB solo in our base before finally succumbing to the Midway (he was on very low health by then). 

[PVE]
Members
6,946 posts
22,709 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I've been interested since seeing it to meet an FDR in my Massachusetts. I finally got the opportunity.

The FDR player has a 70% overall win rate with 77% after 367 games in a Midway and 75% after 15 games in an FDR. However, the FDR didn't exactly dominate this game. Overall, our Midway, I think, contributed as much or more to its team. He has a 55% average overall and with the Midway after 213 games.

The FDR attacked me several times but my Massachusetts with a fighter was able to fend it off fairly well. It only landed one really good strike on me from bombs. It finally gave up attacking me, even though I was alone on a flank, and went elsewhere.

image.thumb.png.77c0026d73ba888d397555445d4af7cd.png 

Actually...both your Midway & you outscored their FDR (considering he got a 50% XP boost for winning he only got 928 BXP before that bonus).

Wish you could check stats w/out CVs (or any other for that matter) to see how much his CV stats influence his overall WR.

Members
23 posts
68 battles

FDR is desgined to farm big capital ships therefore have a very low impact on the game, Midway meanwhile can strike small and important targets like DDs.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
28,260 posts
24,670 battles
6 hours ago, littleflips said:

Looks like that Des Moines ate a lot of the mid ways planes 

With an absurdly high 2057 BaseXPs, he did quite a bit more than give Midway problems.  That DM and Yamato led the way to victory.  I'd be curious to see that DM player's reward screens.  Must've been fantastic numbers to get 2057 BaseXPs.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
1 minute ago, Danhvn said:

FDR is desgined to farm big capital ships therefore have a very low impact on the game, Midway meanwhile can strike small and important targets like DDs.

I think Flambass came to the same conclusion in a recent video when he pestered a DD with the FDR for several minutes but then gave up trying to sink it and went elsewhere. With the tough planes, however, the FDR is a most excellent scout.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

With an absurdly high 2057 BaseXPs, he did quite a bit more than give Midway problems.  That DM and Yamato led the way to victory.  I'd be curious to see that DM player's reward screens.  Must've been fantastic numbers to get 2057 BaseXPs.

Did you see the Panzerknacker DM video?

[WOLF3]
Members
28,260 posts
24,670 battles
23 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I think Flambass came to the same conclusion in a recent video when he pestered a DD with the FDR for several minutes but then gave up trying to sink it and went elsewhere. With the tough planes, however, the FDR is a most excellent scout.

That's funny because because there was all sorts of DOOOOMMMMM! posting because of the sheer amount of rockets FDR could launch in an attack run.  On paper it should be the end for a DD, but apparently not so.

And 3700 BaseXPs is insanely high.

Also, watching him do those 2 bomb drops on the Daring exemplifies why I hate Dive Bombers.  Too inaccurate.  Beached Daring;  He lined up 2 perfect bomb drops, 2 hits was all he got.  The later drops against that same DD were even worse results despite decent aim.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles

I'd love to get my hands on an FDR, the model is very nice and it'd be a great port queen.

But the steAl means that Shikishima wins out, if it was coal I'd do it no prob.

• Cool 1

[B_Y_F]
Members
591 posts
14,340 battles

Go check gaishu's VOD on twitch. If you survive in a MASS...that FDR player is definitely not as good as you think. 

• Cool 1

[UN1]
Members
1,283 posts
3,965 battles

The ship has some serious damage output, but the catch is that it doesn't have the damage output against targets that are more influential to the outcome of the game, like destroyers.  

• Cool 1

[CLUMP]
Members
1,086 posts
1,345 battles

But according to CV haters FDR is brokenly OP :Smile_trollface: But seriously FDR rocket planes suck against DDs their good against Cruisers :Smile_popcorn: 

Edited by LastRemnant
  • Meh 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,697 posts
7,094 battles

I'm no CV-Hater.. And not particularly comfortable in my FDR.. But if that FDR had a hard time with a Massachusetts.. I'm at a loss...any T8 BB in the game is nothing more than a snack for it's planes.. I can only guess you just weren't viewed as a target of importance.  I'm not saying it's an insanely OP CV.. because frankly I think it has some issues due to such limited target selection and game impact.   But in my experience,   two squadron flights would be all that was needed to end a Massachusetts or pretty much any BB in the game, if isolated.  my bad games in FDR are due to me trying to influence games by chasing DDs or CLs, out of habit, which just takes way too much time in a CV which has a lot of time challenges. .I'm guessing you just got the roulette wheel luck and weren't not the BB targeted for extermination.  

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,859 posts
4,733 battles

IMO the OP's result shot shows that CVs aren't as OP as people claim.  Here we have two *very* good players in supposedly the most OP botes in the game, and the best they can do is 5 kills between them.  Yes, important contributors.  No, not dominant like the old RTS drivers of similar rank.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

Members
2,439 posts
5,404 battles
13 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

That Des Moines player was good. He got our last CL and our last BB solo in our base before finally succumbing to the Midway (he was on very low health by then). 

Sums up CVs In wows to a T. Great player takes on 2 ships with a CA and comes out with the win. What does he get for his super play? A big F U to from the CV player while he laughs his way to free damage since there is no counter play.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
10 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Sums up CVs In wows to a T. Great player takes on 2 ships with a CA and comes out with the win. What does he get for his super play? A big F U to from the CV player while he laughs his way to free damage since there is no counter play.

It took our Midway about ten minutes to sink that single Des Moines, and it was being shot at by a Smolensk and a F Der Grobe at the same time too. The Midway got in the final blow but hardly sank the Des Moines by itself.

[OO7]
Members
604 posts
7,517 battles

the Midway was not very good if it took him 10 mins to sink the DM.  A midway HE DB drop will take ~40% of the DM's health.  I've been dropped enough times in clan battle to know what a really good CV player can do.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
17 minutes ago, mixmkz said:

the Midway was not very good if it took him 10 mins to sink the DM.  A midway HE DB drop will take ~40% of the DM's health.  I've been dropped enough times in clan battle to know what a really good CV player can do.

Most DM players, including me, take hydro but I think that guy had the defensive AA module instead.

[OO7]
Members
604 posts
7,517 battles

DFAA doesn't matter, the way AA damage works is that the planes that are not in the attacking squad takes damage first.  So the first strike will always land.  Having grouped AA just prevents a 2nd or maybe 3rd strike.  The Midway can devastate you on the first run, recall.  Then come back with a new squad to finish the job provided the team chip in with a salvo or two.  The only CV players that can't do this are the one that eats flak and have their whole squad wiped out before the strike even begins.

Edited by mixmkz

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,347 battles
18 hours ago, iDuckman said:

IMO the OP's result shot shows that CVs aren't as OP as people claim.  Here we have two *very* good players in supposedly the most OP botes in the game, and the best they can do is 5 kills between them.  Yes, important contributors.  No, not dominant like the old RTS drivers of similar rank.

Why do people keep responding to the idea that CVs are OP? No one who seriously thinks about the matter believes them to be OP. They simply make the game suck with their unethical, toxic game play. 

The claim that CVs are "op" comes from the inability of many players to articulate clearly how they feel about the interaction, like the old "Smolensk is OP" claims. Ships like CVs and Smolensk are deemed OP because players lack vocabulary. 

Time to retire the "responses to claims of OP" and deal with the actual situation at hand.

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CNO]
Members
6,083 posts
18,555 battles

I've yet to go up against an FDR, but I've watched the videos and explored its stats.  It is an extremely asymmetrical CV.  The most of any CV in the game.  Many videos where you see it destroy the opposition is when it's allowed to operate within it asymmetrical forte without being challenged (or with minimal challenge) against its asymmetrical disadvantages.  

[POP]
Members
1,163 posts
9,925 battles
On 10/18/2020 at 7:02 AM, iRA6E said:

I'm no CV-Hater.. And not particularly comfortable in my FDR.. But if that FDR had a hard time with a Massachusetts.. I'm at a loss...any T8 BB in the game is nothing more than a snack for it's planes.. I can only guess you just weren't viewed as a target of importance.  I'm not saying it's an insanely OP CV.. because frankly I think it has some issues due to such limited target selection and game impact.   But in my experience,   two squadron flights would be all that was needed to end a Massachusetts or pretty much any BB in the game, if isolated.  my bad games in FDR are due to me trying to influence games by chasing DDs or CLs, out of habit, which just takes way too much time in a CV which has a lot of time challenges. .I'm guessing you just got the roulette wheel luck and weren't not the BB targeted for extermination.  

It is not the Massachusetts the FDR had trouble with but it's fighter consumable.   FDR's planes have so much health they are very difficult to kill with regular AA.  Flak can nuke them if the CV potatoes into it but the real threat is fighters.  They kill at a 1 for 1 ratio regardless of tier and HP pool.  FDR has very slow plane regen too so it cannot sustain losses.

I am saving up for her but not because she is strong, just from a collection standpoint.