Panhandler62

Game Management with AP Carriers

7 comments in this topic

[BAWK]
Members
154 posts
10,523 battles

I am reaching the "ish" level for damage with MVR. I think my cumulative damage average is about 68k now. Most of my games are considerably better now (it will take awhile to shake off the really bad games from the learning curve... lol)

This said; my win ratio is poo.

What do y'all do to effectively impact match outcomes? I try to balance AA cover and spotting but I can't actually clear the DDs unless I get  cruiser to use my spotting. I get the best damage farming games by chasing the YOLOs and lone wolves, but I don't think that is necessarily helping with game management since they are not generally very effective players anyway.  I have also found it hard to hit stacked ships without loosing my plane inventory early since these German planes seem to have given up armor for speed.

Please help me suck less. :)

• Boring 1

Members
3,190 posts
2,959 battles

German fighters have supersonic rockets, if you launch them from high altitude they have a range of 10+ kilometers, so that should help with hitting stacked ships.

Japanese bombs work on cruisers well, but are exceptionally good against Russian/Soviet battleships T7>(aim for the turrets)and Japanese cruisers >T4. If you can take down a CV's CAP they do ridiculous amounts of damage.

In my limited experience with German bombs they're good for dealing with low AA cruisers & Standard US BB's. Haven't used American AP bombs.

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
52,518 battles
54 minutes ago, Panhandler62 said:

I am reaching the "ish" level for damage with MVR. I think my cumulative damage average is about 68k now. Most of my games are considerably better now (it will take awhile to shake off the really bad games from the learning curve... lol)

This said; my win ratio is poo.

What do y'all do to effectively impact match outcomes? I try to balance AA cover and spotting but I can't actually clear the DDs unless I get  cruiser to use my spotting. I get the best damage farming games by chasing the YOLOs and lone wolves, but I don't think that is necessarily helping with game management since they are not generally very effective players anyway.  I have also found it hard to hit stacked ships without loosing my plane inventory early since these German planes seem to have given up armor for speed.

Please help me suck less. :)

I try to spot more early on and relay information by ping only Vasily. I wouldn't recommend attacks unless AA has been compromised on red. Usually HE spam from your team helps here . 

Then about 5 minutes in, I start on the cruisers. Because Battleships are slow loaders and huge targets for the team.

But be opportunistic at that 5 min mark. Because any stragglers are likely flamed out on their AA. So attacking is better.

It's a common pitfall to attack right away, but patience yields better results.

One particular battle long ago I had to face a 3 Wooster division. They dared me to attack. But I spotted them to near dead and roasted AA. Then I dropped one of them with bombs. The other two were BB food. 

Spotting worked in that instance along with the red div arrogantly sailing open water.

Give your team early opportunity to hit farther and it pays dividends 5 minutes later.

However this hinges upon whether your team fires right away and shoots at what you spot.

In other situations dropping long torpedoes at right angles of your team to force red to sail wide also works.

It's best to do this with a near empty squadron.

Don't use heals unless you are using a full strike and going in.

Fighter interception is not nearly as important as spotting. So drop off fighters carefully to spot as such that no AA will affect them.

If a CV bothers to curtail this, then you effectively neutralized his ability to spot as well.

In that situation, just fly light and spot until red is toasted about 1/3 down by HE spam. Then open up. But pick the loners off first.

Use of islands by cruisers is also a liability because mid match it is you popping over and dropping him. His AA should be fragged by that time.

• Cool 1

[ARPGT]
Members
80 posts
7,913 battles

I have Gunther for my MvR, so my strategy is a little different. I start with the Torp Bombers, drop a strike off and send back to my CV and begin spotting for the next two-three minutes. If I see an opportunity, I'll go in and make a drop on a target. Recall, launch Trops again. I do this until I have roughly 5 Torp Planes left, before switching to Rockets, cause by then, some Cruisers have gotten into position, making it easy to land drops on them. I usually only need two solid Rocket drops to get the Air Supremacy Skill activated, thus my planes regenerate roughly 50 sec per Plane. After that, I'm *very* aggressive, but I keep to isolated or key targets giving my team trouble. Don't be afraid to use Rockets on DDs, while they're not the best, semi-angled DDs give the best damage for you, but those hits are what matter the most for the Air Supremacy Skill. Unless it's a stationary Cruiser, I reserve Dive Bombers for BBs only. 

Goes without saying, avoid the hell out of Hallands. Try to use Fighters to figure out where the Halland is, and avoid that [edited] completely.

[NSEW]
Members
2,909 posts
12,205 battles

What I don't see within the game are the values of which the bombs, rockets can pen.  For example, on non CV information panel.  It would show that HE penetration value is shown, if not mistaken as well as AP shells.  

Where would one find the penetration values of the German arsenal?

[WDWL]
Members
1,521 posts
13,327 battles

Ok I am slightly above average in most of my CV so take my opinions with a grain of salt but here goes:

Regardless of type of cv, farming damage on bb's is not always going to be the go to tactic for winning.   AP CV's may not be as effective at killing DD's but they are effective at harassing them and DD's in most games are the biggest influences on a win.  Giving yours the advantage is most times the best move early on.  Don't waste an entire match trying to solo kill a dd alone if noone else is willing to help, but be there to set up friendly ships for success. 

Save your ap bombs and ap rockets for ideal targets (stationary and alone is best) don't trade an entire squadron of planes to strike a ship moving in open water who can easily out maneuver your drop.  Have patience and wait for ships to get distracted and or into stationary positions where they are bow taking and are forced to either sit still and take the hit from you or move out from cover and get nuked by your team.

Realize you do not have the tools to carry your team if they do not play to win.

[TFFOX]
Members
1,198 posts
7,366 battles

I use my hosho's AP bombs to bully low-tier battleships as they don't have any AA. you could probably do that in a rhein too. also another suggestion would be to go through the stat blocks of a ton of ships and make a list of the ones w/ crappy AA, than target them (if you have the time to make a list like that)