You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Murcc

modstation game timer is wrong

11 comments in this topic

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,844 posts
12,007 battles

The latest version of the Modstation game timer times wrong.  I came out of a game, which we lost by just a few points.  The game point counter indicated that we were going to win about 30 sec before the enemy could overtake our points.  The enemy points actually increased just past our value as the timer expired.  Two of us were indicating time, so apparently another person on our team also was using the same timer.  The last wounded ship was doing the right thing by heading for cover behind an island against 2 enemy ships that had more health, especially since there was an indication of living = win.  However, it was wrong and resulted in a loss.  Had it been known, he could have tried something else.  

Anyways...... check the timer and don't rely on it, at least not until it is fixed.

Edit:  Nothing wrong.  The game timer was counting time for the enemy to reach 1000, not time to win at present rate of point accumulation.  Game time expired as they passed us, even though 1000 points wasn't reached.

Edited by Murcc

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,401 battles

Do you have the replay? I'm curious what would cause such a behavior in the timers. They generally just divide the remaining points by the rate of gain, which isn't a complex calculation.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,844 posts
12,007 battles
57 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Did the timer show that the enemy would win in less time or what did it indicate?

The timer indicated an enemy win in 2:30.  The game time remaining was 1:30.   I could be mistaken on the exact time remaining, but the result should have been the same, because the game time remaining was less than the time indicated for the enemy to win.

47 minutes ago, SilverPhatShips said:

Are you sure someone didn't die at the last moment Changing the timer

We only had one ship left and he lived til the end.

44 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Do you have the replay? I'm curious what would cause such a behavior in the timers. They generally just divide the remaining points by the rate of gain, which isn't a complex calculation.

Agreed.  I'll see if I can dig out the replay.  Usually the timer is accurate.  I make endgame decisions based on that timer.  This is the first time I have seen it in error.

[-ACE-]
Members
428 posts
7,787 battles

........... (duplicate post)..............

Edited by mumphred

[-ACE-]
Members
428 posts
7,787 battles
2 hours ago, Murcc said:

The game point counter indicated that we were going to win about 30 sec before the enemy could overtake our points. 

You are misreading the timer. it only tells you when each team will reach 1000 pts at the current rate.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
2 hours ago, Murcc said:

The game point counter indicated that we were going to win about 30 sec before the enemy could overtake our points. 

I wouldn't rely to heavily on a second-party score timer. My parents' car had a "miles to empty" display. They quickly learned that it was only an approximate value.

[-ACE-]
Members
428 posts
7,787 battles
15 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I wouldn't rely to heavily on a second-party score timer. My parents' car had a "miles to empty" display. They quickly learned that it was only an approximate value.

The score timer is correct. it tells you when each team will reach 1000 pts at the current rate.

It does not calculate how many points each team will have when the battle timer runs out.  (that would be useful at times tho..)

It also does not calculate when a team will pass the other team in points. (again, that would be useful..)

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

So sounds like the game time expired before your team had more points than them even though your rate was higher. This wouldn't be an issue with this timer in this instance as others have stated it only tells you how long at the current rate until a team will reach 1000 points. 

Edited by RipNuN2

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,844 posts
12,007 battles

Yes.  I do think I misread the timer.  I was thinking time to win, not what the game timer was actually timing, which was time to 1000 points.  Usually that one comes first, but in this instance, it did not.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Nothing to see here.  :fish_palm: