You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Savaging Skynet in the Surrey!

11 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles

I had a mission to farm fire damage in UK and IJN cruisers. I was feeling in a British mood, and the Fiji was by its nature unsuitable. The bots must suffer. Skynet delenda est.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

i really want to know how it feels to have a "british" mood,is that some urge to go to pubs and watch soccer?

Edited by Cruxdei

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles
Just now, Cruxdei said:

i really want to know how it feels to have a "british" mood,is that some urge to go to pubs and watch soccer?

:Smile_veryhappy:

It means, "At that moment, I preferred to use a British cruiser for this job rather than a Japanese one."

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

How are the Brit heavies treating you? I did most of that mission in Edinburgh, but haven’t really the motivation to keeping grinding. I feel like I missed the heyday of Brit CLs...

I suppose I ought to relax...just picked up two new DD lines and a cruiser line plus the two old cruiser and BB lines I haven’t finished...way more than I’ve got time for.

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles
1 minute ago, Mahrs said:

I feel like I missed the heyday of Brit CLs...

I would argue that the shining moment for British light cruisers was the Fiji, from the time she came into the game to just before WG made the MM changes that made Tier 7 into T9's b*tch instead of T5's overlord. Those were the days when Flamu called Fiji the best tech-tree Tier 7 cruiser in the game, and to do much better you had to grind all the way to the Minotaur. 

Surrey feels nowhere near as good as Fiji did. I sort of wish they'd take her spotter plane away and just give her the extra range as standard. She is horribly gimped by her short reach when the spotter is down, especially when uptiered and most especially when stock. A lot of cruisers in her MM spread outrange her, even Tier 5 ones like Omaha and Konigsberg, and Krasny Krym if you go all-in on a captain with BFT/AFT. And unlike the light line, her AP doesn't feel like anything special.

She's not a BAD ship, but a lot of the other choices are currently more enjoyable or more relevant to missions the game is asking us to do. I think my lack of enthusiasm is because WG misinterpreted Drake and Goliath; IIRC from Friedman's book on later British cruisers, they were supposed to have three quad turrets rather than four triples, and that little change (and the fact that any 1940's-vintage British 9.2 inch gun should have made Russian 220mm look anaemic) dampened any enthusiasm I had to get up and finish the line in a hurry.

• Cool 1

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
52,536 battles
45 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

Yes, I too want to know what that is like? And is the mood contagious to the extent that other nations of the Commonwealth adopt this mood?🤔

Or are the other Commonwealth nations have different moods?🤔

Because that would be a great help indeed. I seem to be the recipient of some moods that are confusing and confounding, with a dash of consternation. 😏

Nice video 👍

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts
38 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I would argue that the shining moment for British light cruisers was the Fiji, from the time she came into the game to just before WG made the MM changes that made Tier 7 into T9's b*tch instead of T5's overlord. Those were the days when Flamu called Fiji the best tech-tree Tier 7 cruiser in the game, and to do much better you had to grind all the way to the Minotaur. 

Surrey feels nowhere near as good as Fiji did. I sort of wish they'd take her spotter plane away and just give her the extra range as standard. She is horribly gimped by her short reach when the spotter is down, especially when uptiered and most especially when stock. A lot of cruisers in her MM spread outrange her, even Tier 5 ones like Omaha and Konigsberg, and Krasny Krym if you go all-in on a captain with BFT/AFT. And unlike the light line, her AP doesn't feel like anything special.

She's not a BAD ship, but a lot of the other choices are currently more enjoyable or more relevant to missions the game is asking us to do. I think my lack of enthusiasm is because WG misinterpreted Drake and Goliath; IIRC from Friedman's book on later British cruisers, they were supposed to have three quad turrets rather than four triples, and that little change (and the fact that any 1940's-vintage British 9.2 inch gun should have made Russian 220mm look anaemic) dampened any enthusiasm I had to get up and finish the line in a hurry.

Y'know, I'd take out my Fiji but then the Edin complains... then of course in strides Belfast and it's like "oh h**l no you again?!" 

Belfast just smiles and off we go to battle. Fiji and Edin were two favorites when grinding that line. Mino, she sort of disappoints, a bit fragile. Maybe I'll take a look back to port at Fiji today. 

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles
33 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

And is the mood contagious to the extent that other nations of the Commonwealth adopt this mood?

The Australians play and watch their own national flavour of football*; the Canadians prefer ice hockey. 

I cannot speak for the Indians (when Mysore arrives) with regard to football; however, at the appropriate time of year, they share the Australian and English fondness for cricket.

* Most Australians who favour soccer over Australian Rules football are descended from those nationalities that play soccer in Europe. 

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
52,536 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The Australians play and watch their own national flavour of football*; the Canadians prefer ice hockey. 

I cannot speak for the Indians (when Mysore arrives) with regard to football; however, at the appropriate time of year, they share the Australian and English fondness for cricket.

* Most Australians who favour soccer over Australian Rules football are descended from those nationalities that play soccer in Europe. 

Ah, I have watched Australian rules football 🏈. It's actually quite entertaining and brutal. It's like rugby, but with blood and dislocations. I remember watching years ago and I occasionally catch it on. I am not sure what it is, but it's one of those sports you can't quite look away.

I do catch soccer when I get a chance. The rivalries in England are amazing. Those clubs can be intense. 

American football 🏈 is derived from rugby, but evolved over the years.

It employs strategy to mount a proper defense from a creative offense.

While at first glance, it seems like they just run and pass the ball.

The offensive and defensive coordinators call in specific plays to move the ball down field.

I used to play Madden football on PS2. I never cared for the template offense and defense. So I created a playbook from scratch on both sides.

You might say I gave my friends and brother a headache because I was very clever in exploiting a defense and also knowing how to shut down an offense.

It was not common to have me score a lot before half time. And then score more in the second half.

I ran the ball effectively and the passing game found holes to throw the ball in. I knew enough to draw the backfield in and to move over enough to gap a receiver in that space.

It was real time strategy.

It still is at the professional level. 

I still have that play book on that game. I need to use it for a new game.

Because no matter what a coach adds to games these days, I know how to open it up on those play books.

American football 🏈 is a bit complicated when you see past the padding and the grunting. LOL

It involves using your brain if you are a coordinator.

A shame players just play the preset aspect of the playbooks. Because the real fun is creating a play that no one has ever seen. And watching it be successful and cunning in the execution.

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles

If you can get to her, she's worth a visit. I went there in the days of film cameras and it hurt that I had to ration my shots. Never had a chance to get back in the digital era. Take a zoom lens with as wide a "short" end as you can manage; you will thank me.