Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SourHammer

Why I stay in the back with Yamato.

27 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
1,907 posts
12,498 battles

So I get a lot of the " come up here and get in the fight Yamato "   and this really goes for most of the BBs from the Fuso up.   You have to minimize the amount of damage you take, while maximizing the damage you deal.   Other wise it is not profitable to play that ship. 

I got some screen shots of an after battle report that really emphasizes this.   

This was a 4v4 battle our team had the advantage as far as tier goes, but the enemy team had 2 BBs while my Yamato was the only BB on our team consisting of 2 IX CAs and I believe a tier IX DD.   This battle went on for almost the entire amount of time given on the clock, I was able to destroy the last BB ( Amagi ) with about 5 seconds to spare.   Even with the 3 kills I got with 164,000 damage I did with the win I was not able to make up for the amount of damage that I took and I ended up owing the bank 20k.

shot-15.04.06_11.01.21-0840.jpg

shot-15.04.06_11.00.51-0820.jpg

shot-15.04.06_11.01.01-0404.jpg

shot-15.04.06_11.01.15-0016.jpg

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,670 battles

You did it right, Battleships are suppose to stay in the back and use their superior range to hit back while taking minimum damage despite the complains by cruisers and destroyers ordering you to go upfront to be a shell magnet. 

Also it looks like we need a premium account in order to play tier 10.

Edited by goff
  • Cool 2

[SIMP]
Alpha Tester
796 posts
3,386 battles

Let them cry. Battleships on the front line quickly find themselves in port getter ready for the NEXT fight. I've learned that the hard way:sceptic:

• Cool 1

Banned
3,836 posts

and this is why we have cap circles. so cruisers and DDs don't need to run in the open and get murdered just to get in range to fire at the BB, while it fires at you from long before you in range.

this way, we can cap and win instead of suiciding trying to kill the BB.

its also why we have islands. so we can hide cause the BB can fire at us, but we are out of range.

Alpha Tester
1,907 posts
12,498 battles

This battle I was forced to fight in closer ranges due to the nature of a 4v4 battle, and we decided to play defensive to our cap.

Beta Testers
390 posts
2,553 battles

BBs need to be a mix of upfront "shell eating" and "not too close that you get torped" movement.

However, the cruisers and destroyers should be in close support to concentrate fire on the bad guys. That way the BB doesn't take too much fire.

I have driven into a melee with my secondaries firing like mad, main guns a blasting with the CAs and DDs right behind and it was glorious. However, I have driven in to find my allies hiding and been pwend.

This game works like World of Tanks with tier X's. You need to play your tier V - VII ships to make the money for the tier X fights. That way this game doesn't become a tier X only club.

Money mechanics working as intended.

Edited by Husarski
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,670 battles

They may not say so in battlechat but they will complain about it in the wows social media that battleships gamers are too wimpy and they must go upfront to take damage for the team. 

Banned
3,836 posts

BBs need to be a mix of upfront "shell eating" and "not too close that you get torped" movement.

However, the cruisers and destroyers should be in close support to concentrate fire on the bad guys. That way the BB doesn't take too much fire.

I have driven into a melee with my secondaries firing like mad, main guns a blasting with the CAs and DDs right behind and it was glorious. However, I have driven in to find my allies hiding and been pwend.

This game works like World of Tanks with tier X's. You need to play your tier V - VII ships to make the money for the tier X fights. That way this game doesn't become a tier X only club.

Money mechanics working as intended.

and this is why i went tier 7 max.

[DARTH]
[DARTH]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
133 posts
14,585 battles

You would have made 104000 if you had a Premium account!

Alpha Tester
1,907 posts
12,498 battles

You would have made 104000 if you had a Premium account!

Wouldn't that be great if we could have a premium account.     Im not complaining about the loss of credits. I can make money in the tier X with out premium, its just that in this case I was not able to keep my damage to a minimum. I have a thread Here where I was able to keep my damage very low while netting quite a tidy profit and exp.   

Members
26 posts
3,675 battles

If you know you're right, then just stick "to your guns" and play your way. You DO happen to be right in the situation you describe but remember: most of these folk on here.............do you REALLY think they put all that much time into thinking out World War 2 battleship movements that constitute the most efficacious course, or do they just scream and charge as if they were still playing a very BAD game of tanks? Of course we all know the answer to that one. The louder they scream the dumber they are. In any event, YOU are right!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,178 posts
15,765 battles

They may not say so in battlechat but they will complain about it in the wows social media that battleships gamers are too wimpy and they must go upfront to take damage for the team. 

You get the same thing in tanks. People think that because you are a heavy tank that you are supposed to be up front. However, there are tanks in the heavy tree that have no business in a brawl such as the TOG and the 152mm armed KV-2. The TOG for it almost complete lack of armor and the KV-2 because of the SPG like reload.

Beta Testers
1,708 posts
189 battles

Destroyers are actually the frontline vessels in WoWS. Treating this game like WoT isn't going to cut it. Naval warfare in this setting is generally an "I outrange you [edited]" type of thing. Destroyers being fast, peashooter-ish need to get in the closest to use their equipment. BBs can afford to stay further out. Might as well.

[LFD]
Alpha Tester
3,951 posts
723 battles
ONLY GO TO THE FRONT IN A BB AGAINST LOWER TIER SHIPS THAT YOUR ARMOR WILL WORK ON.

Beta Testers
390 posts
2,553 battles

You get the same thing in tanks. People think that because you are a heavy tank that you are supposed to be up front. However, there are tanks in the heavy tree that have no business in a brawl such as the TOG and the 152mm armed KV-2. The TOG for it almost complete lack of armor and the KV-2 because of the SPG like reload.

Depends. If the TOG and KV2 are top tier tanks in the game, then brawl away. The TOG with its mass HPs and good (for being top tier) armour can eat shells while letting the mediums and lights flank and pwn. The KV2 is in the same boat, going first, its armour stops shots and its gun hammers. Then pull back to reload while the follow on tanks finish off whats left aft the 152mm has done its job.

Yes, both alone get owned pretty fast, especially if they are low tier in the fight.

BBs are in the same boat. You should be using your HP pool and armour to stop shots that would sink DDs and CAs. That way you keep ships on the water firing. More guns equals win.

Torps stop you from face hugging which is why I like this game for its balance. Everything has a place. Every battle is different and what you do in a battle varies from one to the other. Sometimes you are up front, sometimes you are in the back.

However, I have seen many a battleship in the low tiers, hiding behind a hill, peeking and poking to get a shot off, then moving back. You end the game as the last ship alive as the other more aggressive battleship on their side pushes and fights. Then its 6 ships vs 1.. and it only goes one way after that. Your team needs your guns, secondaries, armour and HP pool. Using this mix properly wins games.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
390 posts
2,553 battles

The general idea is to keep BB guns constantly in play.

Agreed. Consider this simplistic argument.

The enemy hands out 10 damage, a battleship can take 15 damage and a cruiser can take 5.

If the cruiser goes first, it will die, and the BB will take 5 damage. Only the BB is still shooting.

If the BB goes first, it will take 10, live and now both the CA and the BB are still shooting.

The trick is to take the hits that would sink other ships and armour to shrug off the hits, while the other ships focus fire your targets to make sure you don't die. This is to ensure that all guns are still on the waves when the battle ends. A BB that ends the game with 100 hits left is still shooting. It is the fine mix of ranges that your BB has to master. Close to be a target for guns that kill your support ships but not too close for those pesky torps.

Just like WOT, the more guns still on the field the better chance of winning.

A balance to be kept it is...

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,178 posts
15,765 battles

Depends. If the TOG and KV2 are top tier tanks in the game, then brawl away. The TOG with its mass HPs and good (for being top tier) armour can eat shells while letting the mediums and lights flank and pwn. The KV2 is in the same boat, going first, its armour stops shots and its gun hammers. Then pull back to reload while the follow on tanks finish off whats left aft the 152mm has done its job.

Yes, both alone get owned pretty fast, especially if they are low tier in the fight.

Even as top tier the TOG gets vaporized very fast when focused. You need a team that will support you but in pub matches you are unlikely to get that support. I will disagree on brawling with the 152mm armed KV-2, the turret turns much too slow for close quarters fighting. Now if it can sit back just behind other heavies it can rain hell. The WoT culture doesn't help either, I was top tier in my TOG and having never been in that position on that map asked where and got no answer so I just acted as if I was mid tier and then they started ranting at me but once you start on a path with the TOG you are pretty much locked on it even when it is the wrong one. Now if you have a KV-1, T-14 or KV0220 as top tier you just engage bully mode and bum rush.

Beta Testers
390 posts
2,553 battles

Hmm. Maybe I'm used to TC's and skirmishes. Your support is professional, paying attention and knows their tank.

Perhaps I'm a tad spoiled.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,178 posts
15,765 battles

Hmm. Maybe I'm used to TC's and skirmishes. Your support is professional, paying attention and knows their tank.

Perhaps I'm a tad spoiled.

Play a few pub matches and you will have a whole new view of the game and the players. It will not be good.

Beta Testers
35 posts
349 battles

Agreed. Consider this simplistic argument.

The enemy hands out 10 damage, a battleship can take 15 damage and a cruiser can take 5.

If the cruiser goes first, it will die, and the BB will take 5 damage. Only the BB is still shooting.

If the BB goes first, it will take 10, live and now both the CA and the BB are still shooting.

The trick is to take the hits that would sink other ships and armour to shrug off the hits, while the other ships focus fire your targets to make sure you don't die. This is to ensure that all guns are still on the waves when the battle ends. A BB that ends the game with 100 hits left is still shooting. It is the fine mix of ranges that your BB has to master. Close to be a target for guns that kill your support ships but not too close for those pesky torps.

Just like WOT, the more guns still on the field the better chance of winning.

A balance to be kept it is...

You won't convince anyone of this. I've lost more games than i can count because battleships think they have to sit at 19km while they leave the cruisers to fight the battleships in the cap. We all know how well that works when Cruisers get one shotted by battleships. I honestly hate 90% of battleship players in this game. They sit at max range, they can't hit crap, and they refuse to cap. If you would HP share like you're supposed to we could win a lot more games. You can tank a salvo of battleship fire. Your cruisers cannot. So do not complain when all your cruisers/destroyers die because you're sitting at 21km and still have full health.

Sign in to follow this