You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mahrs

Oddball/New Premie Inquiry

12 comments in this topic

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

I’m trying to get more into the French/Euro lines...in particular, the French BB, DD (not so much the cruisers anymore). Figured I’d ping for consensus on a few things.

I’ve got DeGrasse (thanks WG), I’ve got Dunker...is either Champagne or Gascogne worth the trouble/dubs? The turret layout gives me pause...Bayard doesn’t seem like a good fit for me (I’m more of a heavy cruiser guy, but I like that she seems to be an open water ship) unless I’m missing something. 

Euro DD seem to be Orkan or nothing...

I suppose the fact that I don’t see a lot of these in game should tell me something, but I thought I’d ask. 

[SALVO]
Members
27,924 posts
40,347 battles
23 minutes ago, Mahrs said:

I’m trying to get more into the French/Euro lines...in particular, the French BB, DD (not so much the cruisers anymore). Figured I’d ping for consensus on a few things.

I’ve got DeGrasse (thanks WG), I’ve got Dunker...is either Champagne or Gascogne worth the trouble/dubs? The turret layout gives me pause...Bayard doesn’t seem like a good fit for me (I’m more of a heavy cruiser guy, but I like that she seems to be an open water ship) unless I’m missing something. 

Euro DD seem to be Orkan or nothing...

I suppose the fact that I don’t see a lot of these in game should tell me something, but I thought I’d ask. 

IMO, those 2 French tier 8 premium BBs aren't really worth the trouble.  I own the Gascogne and its guns are very unreliable.  Not so sure about the Champ's guns, but she's squishy as hell.

As for the Orkan, she's ok.  Her torps are normal Euro DD torps (i.e. fast, 12 km range, low damage, quick to reload), but she has only one rack of them.

• Cool 1

[UNC]
Members
1,216 posts
7,311 battles

Gascogne is pretty universally panned as a bad ship.  I rather like her but she can be frustrating to drive; she shares the formerly German dispersion with all the rest of the French BBs and with a low(er) rifle count in an odd turret layout it can be painful.  She is fast and her secondaries are decent, though with many of them being 100mm would need IFHE to damage anything other than DDs.  Champagne and Orkan I have no experience with; Orkan is basically a Lightning with less torps and radar IIRC.  Smaland is closer to the tech tree Euro-DD playstyle than Orkan.  Bayard is La Galissoniere with an extra turret.  IMO the reload is a bit too long to make her enjoyable, and she is super squishy.

[CO-OP]
Members
5,183 posts
41,758 battles

Black Bart (Jean Bart-black) will be available next month for Black Friday. 

Friesland is a unique EUR-DD.  It has smoke, no torpedoes, only 2x2 turrets, but sub-2 second reloads.

• Cool 2

[TRU]
Members
829 posts
29,082 battles

I'd recommend the Friesland.  I used free XP to get her and was at first taken aback by the lack of torpedoes and no heal.   After a few rough games, I altered my play style and found pretty good success with her.  With hydro, you can easily gun down enemy DDs that think their smoke is keeping them safe (not to mention spot enemy torpedoes).  

Friesland's guns are also rapid fire, and you can light just about anything in multiple fires.  The AA suite is no joke, and you can down dozens of planes.  

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles

Do you like the Lightning? Do you like Cossack? Do you like tech-tree Euro DD torpedoes? Do you like playing Hsienyang with radar instead of smoke?

Smoosh together the hull and guns of Lightning, the torpedoes of Oland in Kidd's launcher and the smokelessness of Radar Hsienyang, and you have Orkan. At least that's the way I see it, and my curiosity was not enough to override my caution.

An alternative choice for a mid-ish tier Euro DD is Blyskawica, for 51,000 coal - but she is to the Euro DD tech tree what Aigle is to the French, while Friesland also has smoke but NO torpedoes AT ALL.

The only one that truly looks and plays like the rest of the line is Smaland, at Tier 10 - but not everyone has 2 million FXP to throw around.

As I see it, Orkan works well in division where you can sail up to a smoke cloud, pop radar and have your friend(s) pour death and destruction into it on cue. Meanwhile, you dump your rack of fast but weak fish to give the enemy DD the choice between taking a torp hit or constraining their path and making themselves an easy gunnery mark. Since I rarely if ever division, Orkan would be a very poor choice for me.

To find out what Gascogne is like, take an Alsace into the training room (in PTS) with a friend and get them to destroy your B turret.

Champagne is the same thing but with 16 inch guns and only three in each turret. 

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles

Do you want a bigger Graf Spee that gives up torps for speed boost at T8? Gascogne is basically a flanking battlecruiser that can kinda tank, but shouldn't. 

Do you want to sit back, relax, sip a fresh brew of coffee and play easy mode shooty boats? Champagne while being forced to the backlines is a very comfy experience, but you only have 6 rifles. And spee(d) boost. Sniper Graf Spee. Also is the more accurate of the two by a landslide. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,284 battles

Avoid Gascogne. She’s not just mediocre, she’s ruddy boring as hell. As mentioned, wait a month and buy Jean Bart Black instead. 

Orkan is ok, not amazing, but she does have her strengths. That said, between her and Friesland I’d go for the Friesland first.

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

Jean Bart might just be it.  The others...well...if I was hoping you all would reverse my opinion and talk me into 'em I would have left disappointed. 

My Graf Spee (thanks again, WG!) just sits in port.  It's not a ship I recall enjoying, not much motivation to sail her. 

I'll look at Friesland...got my face torn off by one a few days back... The best part was my team expressing shock at her RoF after the fact.  "Yeah...there's a reason I asked you to shoot her." It was a good carry for that 3-man DIV, led by the Fries...tough one to lose.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

Gascogne sucks, avoid like the plague. 

Champagne seems like to have dud potential as well.  Very fragile with very little HPs and only 6 guns.  However, those guns do have massive range, like 25 km and are very accurate at long range so jury is still out.  Still I am not buying her. 

Orkan is pretty much the worst of the Lightning class ships.  You give up a turret and a set of torps for a useless secondary gun for very short range radar which is not worth the trade in my book.  Lightning and Cossack are much more competitive.

As for ships to actually consider.

Jean Bart, however, I think this is only going to be available via lottery through buying crates and hoping you win one.  It might be very expensive to try to get one (or really cheap if you get really lucky)

Friesland - These can be a real beast.  Their rate of fire is stupendous.  The only thing is they are very one dimensional.  You just spam clicking your fire button over and over and over and over.   The lack of torps is also a disadvantages as ships just have no fear of you and will push you without a second thought. If I recall, they are pretty slow as well.

Smalland, if you can get the 2 million FXP you need for her she is pretty much a Halland with a very short range Radar instead of the AA consumable.  Oh and she gets slightly slower torps and less of them but with a bit higher rate of fire on the guns.  The downside is that she is pretty much a Halland and while the Radar does open up some anti-DD opportunities, the lack of smoke and its short ranage means your not going to really be able to take advantage of the radar that often.  Also while it still has fast torps, they are 10 knots slower than the Halland.  Finally, since they are so close, well you can get the Halland in the tech tree and to but it bluntly, 2 million FXP is an awful lot of FXP to spend on a ship that is nearly a copy of the tech tree ship +/- a few gimmicks.

Also something to consider is that the Straussburg is going to be coming out soon.  She is going to be a Tier 7 Dunkerque with faster reload and a reload booster.   She might actually be interesting.

[UN1]
Members
1,497 posts
4,854 battles

I can't comment on all of them cause I don't own them all, but I will comment on the ones I do.

Gascogne is a purchase I regret. Richelieu is objectively a vastly superior ship, cause a ship that has 100% of its firepower while directly nose-in is actually a massive tactical advantage. Gascogne used to have the secondary advantage, but French secondaries got gutted with the IFHE rework. Champagne is definitely the better buy for this tier, but I'd avoid both. 

Jean Bart, while crate only for the Black Friday sale, is arguably one of the best ships in the game. This has a lot to do with the fact that the Richelieu is a fantastic ship, except the Jean Bart just takes it to the next level. This is a ship worth gambling for. 

My commentary purely from observing:

Friesland is very strong, but players now realize the tactic to counter her is to rush her. 

Smaland is a ship you see extensively in very high competitive level play. Halland is better for ransoms and such, but it's Smaland you see in KOTS tournaments.

Bayard is a monster. A glass monster, but a monster nonetheless. Massively underrated. That ship can do some serious damage. 

Members
417 posts
5,650 battles

Stick with the Tech tree BBs.  At least You will find your favorite within the end of it.  The exception is Jean Bart.  In my opinion the best of all the premiums and tech tree save the République