You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaGladius

Are cyclones good for the game?

Are cyclones good for the game?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Are cyclones good for the game?

• Yes
    • No

24 comments in this topic

[FRFR]
Members
1,608 posts

I was playing my Molotov this morning and ran into a cyclone.  As a light cruiser armed with tin-foil that requires playing at range to mitigate enemy fire, a cyclone is a straight up FU from the game.  As I was thinking about it though, I can't remember ever liking a cyclone, regardless of the ship I was playing.  The game is designed/balanced around "normal" conditions, and cyclones throw that out the window.

Conversely, I DO like the addition of thunderstorms to the game.  They aren't a global effect, so you can play around them, either avoiding them, or ducking into them to hide.  It does add something tactical to the game, and I enjoy that aspect of them.  Cyclones just seem like something to suffer through.

Regardless, how does everyone else feel?  What are your perspectives?

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles

Sometimes I wonder if it should be the reverse of a thunderstorm. In my mind the cyclone warning should also highlight an area on the mini map to be in. Then when it hits it not only limits your vision but also makes you take damage over time, for being outside the eye of the storm. The main issue is not everyone is fast enough to make it into one place on demand and would be a giant FU to carriers. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

Some ships thrive with cyclones like ones that rely in closing in or have radar. It can also allow more stealthy movement to places the enemy wouldn't expect you.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
38 minutes ago, SeaGladius said:

I was playing my Molotov this morning and ran into a cyclone.  As a light cruiser armed with tin-foil that requires playing at range to mitigate enemy fire, a cyclone is a straight up FU from the game.  

I find it depends on circumstances, and what you run into.

An RU CL running into a BB can be in trouble, but if it's a DD, or the BB has his guns pointed the wrong way, then he's in trouble.

The only time I really dislike them is when you've just cleared a flank of enemies. At that point, you might as well go AFK, because the battle will probably be pretty much over before you can either get close enough, or the cyclone ends.

[-BUI-]
Members
2,797 posts
7,603 battles

Generally when there is a Cyclone, I basically stop playing and wait for the cyclone to go away.   Unless the game is gonna be a for-sure win and I'm in a ship that can either use the cyclone to my advantage or ignore it, there isn't much reason to try to keep playing when its active.   

I generally refer to cyclones as the "everyone stop playing the game" mechanic, since thats all it generally does.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

Members
1,265 posts
8,395 battles

everything in this game seems to be designed to be a big middle finger to brawler ships, cyclone is the only mechanic that let  a brawler ship get close without getting masacrated by snipers or HE spammers behind some island 15km away... we need more mechanics like that not less.

• Cool 1

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
52,536 battles

Now if they can just blow a few AA cruisers off course and into some rocks so they don't move all match?🤔

Oh wait, the cyclone is not needed for that. The AA cruisers do that anyway.😏

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF6]
Members
43 posts
14,487 battles
38 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

everything in this game seems to be designed to be a big middle finger to brawler ships, cyclone is the only mechanic that let  a brawler ship get close without getting masacrated by snipers or HE spammers behind some island 15km away... we need more mechanics like that not less.

Haha, yeah, I play a lot of secondary BB's and brawlers as well, gotta agree, a cyclone warning is basically the game telling me, 'you're going to have a great round'.

Members
982 posts
20,675 battles

Yes.

And honestly, I wish randoms had more variables thrown into the mix. Force players to think and adapt rather than follow the same routine they’ve followed hundreds of times before.

• Cool 2

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

The biggest issue I have with storms of any kind in the game is that the sea state never changes. No matter what it's like moving water line models around on a billiard table.

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

If it was implemented in such a way that it wasn’t just free candy for BBs, especially those with secondaries, I could be a fan...as it stands now? Nah, fam, I’ll pass. 

[NMKJT]
Members
4,125 posts
9,114 battles

Cyclones are a pretty trash mechanic, though the other storms are alright and interesting to work around/in. Cyclones were somewhat entertaining when they first came out years ago, but over time I've seen just how bad they are for gameplay. Having an awful snipey match suddenly turn into an awful 'ball up your team's HP for a brainless push' match isn't an improvement, and usually it feels even stupider.

I don't even enjoy them in my secondary BBs, because it's literally a braindead 'here you can win this' mechanic to crutch badly positioned players into an advantageous situation.

Edited by MnemonScarlet

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
52,536 battles
1 hour ago, mixmkz said:

When I play mino and cyclone hits, I just put on my shoes and walk down the block to buy beer or whatever else I need from the convenient store

If only that were convenient to go to a convenience store. 🤔 I found this on the forum floor. (   .   )

• Boring 1

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
52,536 battles
43 minutes ago, ElAurens said:

The biggest issue I have with storms of any kind in the game is that the sea state never changes. No matter what it's like moving water line models around on a billiard table.

Except, you don't get that ship going the corner and he goes down a pocket. 😏

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
52,536 battles
28 minutes ago, MnemonScarlet said:

Cyclones are a pretty trash mechanic, though the other storms are alright and interesting to work around/in. Cyclones were somewhat entertaining when they first came out years ago, but over time I've seen just how bad they are for gameplay. Having an awful snipey match suddenly turn into an awful 'ball up your team's HP for a brainless push' match isn't an improvement, and usually it feels even stupider.

I don't even enjoy them in my secondary BBs, because it's literally a braindead 'here you can win this' mechanic to crutch badly positioned players into an advantageous situation.

I think it's WG's way to say that : "the match is taking too long and tanks needs the room, wrap it up already!

[WOLFG]
Members
1,479 posts

It just depends on what type of ship you are playing.  For some it's a terrific advantage, for others it's suicide.  Since I play mostly cruisers, I would prefer WG would  just stick a hot poker in my face.

Edited by Captain_Rawhide

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,553 posts
15,104 battles

Radar, especially the fake Russian ships' 12km kind, in cyclone brings back the best gimmick ever graced this game: 4km open water stealth firing buffer. /s

Edited by chewonit

[FORM]
Members
2,999 posts
15,488 battles

I wish that cyclone spotting range varied during the storm more, not being at any constant level. But generally they're a decent twist on things - as long as they're not too common. 

[FRFR]
Members
1,608 posts

It’s been interesting to see the replies. I hadn’t expected the responses to be as lopsided as they are.  Thank you to those that responded and gave your opinion on cyclones!  I still don’t like them, but I’m not one to insist WG do exactly what I want, especially when it’s clear that a majority of people like it.