You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review: Florida

96 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
Members
1,333 posts
13,258 battles

+1 upboat for the review. I was looking forward to this review because I was unsure about if I was going to spend some dosh on Florida as a USN fan. For randoms it looks like she is a really tough ship to play, but what about Operations like Narai? 

[-TKS-]
Members
1,333 posts
13,258 battles
Just now, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

I give this rating 5 out of 10. Coz no mehbote to gudbote rating

I’m gonna judge based on the review it’s probably a Mehbote. Mileage probably determined on if you want a premium USN BB for Narai or not.

[O_O]
Members
7,766 posts
21,251 battles
30 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

professionals (with integrity)

Oh no you didn't! :fish_viking:

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles

Looking at the charts, i'm surprised how average Poltava is. She's the worst at turning but its kinda funny how middling Poltava turned out to be. 

A shame about shipcomrade's closing. It had a good run. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[NRF]
Beta Testers
12 posts
15,375 battles
40 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

+1 upboat for the review. I was looking forward to this review because I was unsure about if I was going to spend some dosh on Florida as a USN fan. For randoms it looks like she is a really tough ship to play, but what about Operations like Narai? 

I just came to read another review by LWM, and do not have Florida, but I have been farming in Narai since other farming OPs were taken down. Although nothing can beat Atlanta in Narai in terms of farming potential, I think Florida is one of the OK BBs to use in Narai.

For me, Lyon is the best BB for Narai, Ashitaka being the second, due to their speed and DPM. Whenever I use a BB for Narai, I prefer to go east of convoy so that I can catch MO broadside when it turns. You need speed to reach that position in time, but if you do, you can sink MO in two salvos, allowing you to not rely on torps by other ships to take it down. Florida seems to have the speed to get to this position. The only thing to watch out for is if one your DD/CL uses smoke and hide all other ships, MO will target you and you don't want that with Florida's armor.

Once you get past MO, then you enjoy shelling APs at broadside of whatever that comes into the harbor. You are usually not shot at by much due to how target selection of bots works, so Florida's armor won't be a big issue even with the short combat range in OPs. Gnei/Sharn is possibly more fun (depends on each person), but their guns are a lot less punchy compared to Lyon/Ashitaka, so you need to effectively use your torps. This is why I prefer Lyon over them, but Gnei/Sharn are quite good for Narai too.

In short, my guess is that Florida will do great in the only Tier 7 OP we currently have, although there are better choices.

I rarely post on forums, but since I randomly decided to respond today... I have always been enjoying your reviews, LittleWhiteMouse. Thank you a lot!

[-TKS-]
Members
1,333 posts
13,258 battles
1 minute ago, Ruozor said:

I just came to read another review by LWM, and do not have Florida, but I have been farming in Narai since other farming OPs were taken down. Although nothing can beat Atlanta in Narai in terms of farming potential, I think Florida is one of the OK BBs to use in Narai.

For me, Lyon is the best BB for Narai, Ashitaka being the second, due to their speed and DPM. Whenever I use a BB for Narai, I prefer to go east of convoy so that I can catch MO broadside when it turns. You need speed to reach that position in time, but if you do, you can sink MO in two salvos, allowing you to not rely on torps by other ships to take it down. The only thing to watch out for is if one your DD/CL uses smoke and hide all other ships, MO will target you and you don't want that with Florida's armor.

Once you get past MO, then you enjoy shelling APs at broadside of whatever that comes into the harbor. You are usually not shot at by much due to how target selection of bots works, so Florida's armor won't be a big issue even with the short combat range in OPs. Gnei/Sharn is possibly more fun (depends on each person), but their guns are a lot less punchy compared to Lyon/Ashitaka, so you need to effectively use your torps. This is why I prefer Lyon over them, but Gnei/Sharn are quite good for Narai too.

In short, my guess is that Florida will do great in the only Tier 7 OP we currently have, although there are better choices.

I rarely post on forums, but since I randomly decided to respond today... I have always been enjoying your reviews, LittleWhiteMouse. Thank you a lot!

Fair enough. Granted I have California too (mostly due to 1. Historical Ship and 2. Native Californian) but she is a slow girl relegated to sitting amongst the transports. The only Florida I’ve seen in Narai was deleted 3 minutes in... somehow. That fact has lingered with me but perhaps I can make her work better than most. Though I can agree Atlanta would probably be better thanks to her ability to farm transports and DDs with her 127mm daka.

[MISRY]
Members
1,335 posts

Take this review lightly. Mouse, while knowledgeable, is subject to her own personal biases, likes, preferences, just like the rest of us. I HATE when people hinge whether they are going to buy a ship or not based on her reivew. Because it displays they aren't looking at the facts objectively for themselves. 

The ship is showing to be in the top part of her class per the numbers so far.

I have 2 battles in it in randoms but only because I've been playing a lot of ranked plus grinding out the Minnesota. Both wins and 109k average damage. Actually, and strangely, 109k dmg each battle. I'm just a slightly above average player too. One of those was a T8 battle and one a T9. 

Just my 2 cents... 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 5

[-TKS-]
Members
1,333 posts
13,258 battles
4 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Take this review lightly. Mouse, while knowledgeable, is subject to her own personal biases, likes, preferences, just like the rest of us. I HATE when people hinge whether they are going to buy a ship or not based on her reivew. Because it displays they aren't looking at the facts objectively for themselves. 

The ship is showing to be in the top part of her class per the numbers so far.

I have 2 battles in it in randoms but only because I've been playing a lot of ranked plus grinding out the Minnesota. Both wins and 109k average damage. Actually, and strangely, 109k dmg each battle. I'm just a slightly above average player too. One of those was a T8 battle and one a T9. 

Just my 2 cents... 

Usually it comes down to the captain to decide if a ship is worth it or not. For example, I loved the Hipper class and Prinz Eugen while most view them as meh at best. I think the best thing to examine is how worth it is the ship in not just randoms and ranked, but coop and ops. I think in this regard the ship is somewhat worth it.

[UN1]
Members
1,497 posts
4,854 battles

Personally, I find the Florida to be a better ship than the California. If I were to purchase one, Florida would get my money for sure. 

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

@LittleWhiteMouse

Whilst I appreciate the very solid review you have provided for yet another ship, I am far more appreciative of your last few paragraphs on @Critter8 and the rest of you folks. "Philly Daily" hasn't visited the forum site since 2016, did you know? Me either until I put my mouse over his name. 

Knowing the early beginnings of all your work and that of others, well, sort of rounds out, fills out my own knowledge and experience of the forums since the very earliest days of the game. 

The influence given and taken by those you mentioned (and probably a few not mentioned) have helped shape this game in a way the devs simply could never have seen. I do so hope they finally understand how important an active, vocal gaming community is to a game such as WoWS. 

Thanks for sharing a bit of history with us. 

• Cool 5

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

Awesome retrospective. 

Also, thanks for saving me from buying this ship thinking it would be good. To be fair, I might actually like it based on the gun performance, but I have no real use for a squishy BB. I imagine I would like it a lot more than Rado or Cali...but, certainly not more than Scharnhorst. 

Fun things I learned in training matches this week. The accuracy plots in these reviews is awesome. Really highlights the value of “crossing the T” - which, of course, no one does...because it doesn’t work in WoWS. Once you start shooting at broadside targets? Most of those nice, tight groups are gonna miss anyways. It turns out that even substantially better accuracy often nets only marginally more hits...often indistinguishable on an engagement to engagement basis. 

Edited by Mahrs

[Y0L0]
Members
2,237 posts
11,069 battles
27 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

I HATE when people hinge whether they are going to buy a ship or not based on her reivew.

Would you prefer if they decided based on other CCs instead?

These reviews have significant amounts of data and stats, plenty to draw your own conclusions.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,333 posts
13,258 battles
10 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

@LittleWhiteMouse

Whilst I appreciate the very solid review you have provided for yet another ship, I am far more appreciative of your last few paragraphs on @Critter8 and the rest of you folks. "Philly Daily" hasn't visited the forum site since 2016, did you know? Me either until I put my mouse over his name. 

Knowing the early beginnings of all your work and that of others, well, sort of rounds out, fills out my own knowledge and experience of the forums since the very earliest days of the game. 

The influence given and taken by those you mentioned (and probably a few not mentioned) have helped shape this game in a way the devs simply could never have seen. I do so hope they finally understand how important an active, vocal gaming community is to a game such as WoWS. 

Thanks for sharing a bit of history with us. 

To be fair, “Phloopy Dooply” is too busy shilling for another game, a very corrupt game that was able to force me to quit because of increasingly terrible customer service and terrible changes. He’s played the game since then but you can tell he has not played it much based on HOW he plays some ships.

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,839 posts
23,219 battles
1 hour ago, Usedcarjock said:

what about Operations like Narai? 

That depends on the player.  Aside from a few times, the last run of Narai had me using no other vessel than Florida.  I've very much enjoyed using her there.  As pointed out, she is squishy.  If you nose on to MO and the CO that shows later on (and they take a liking to you), they'll very easily citadel you.  If you angle properly however, you will bounce them all day long (minus the occasion stray that can and will hurt).  Avoid going nose on against any of the BB's regardless, and sure as spork do not show too much side either.

Something not really mentioned is her torpedo protection, though probably not needed due to her low HP.  That 26% really doesn't amount to much as even a single torpedo from any of the ships you face there will hurt, especially if it hits an unprotected spot.  You will need to avoid being torpedoed with her much more than any other BB.  A salvo from the Campbeltown will cripple you, even if it all goes into the torpedo belt.  Eat a salvo from the Farragut, and you are going to be in very bad shape.  A salvo from Gallant will pretty much end your run.  If either Farragut or Gallant hit you with a full (both launchers) salvo, your run is over, even at 100%.

Despite all that, what I really like about her is that her guns (while not powerful as you'd expect, which is mentioned) are fairly accurate at all but extreme range.  I also like her secondaries, as they have decent enough accuracy and reach out to 6.6 with aft+flag.  The single 5" guns tend to land their hits a lot vs the dual 5" guns (though that is not be saying much considering. heh), and overall they tend to start fires quite a bit.  For me she simply, "clicks".  Results will vary :Smile_Default:

Make no mistakes, Florida is a tricky girl, but if you figure her out she will do very well in Narai.  Otherwise, any of the other T7 BB's will be easier to run with.

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

I see that champagne wont be a good time for you to review ,but thats okay.

Great review though.

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of this graphic.  This speaks a lot to how badly the skill system needs to be reworked given how optimized skill choices have become

That would be great - but they'd have to actually fix the gameplay and change some ships to actually get us to a point there isn't just one optimized loadout. 

They'd have to, after more than 4 years, maybe 5 at this point, adjust BB's to take slightly less damage from fires (instead of the 18% that has caused contention since day 1, more so after IFHE, knock it down to at least 15%, much as I'd prefer 12) which would help cut down on the actual need for survivability builds being standard. Along with either A: removing IFHE or B: changing DCP and Repair Party to have slightly faster CD's and Repair Party to fix more pen damage if IFHE stays. Most, if not all, also need their alpha nerfed slightly so they aren't deleting cruisers quite the same way they are now (enough that basically instead of say 2 citadels and 4 overpens to destroy a cruiser you'd need 2-3 of those overpens to be solid hits).

HE pen on cruisers needs to be standardized beyond say national things like Germany having 1/4. My Dallas and Helena should have the same pen as my Cleveland and Seattle, with or without IFHE in the game. But generally, they should be returned to their previous roles that CL were better DD hunters, while CA stood a better chance vs BB's as opposed to 152 m death rain that melts everything. Maybe Repair Party needs to be a little less unique on cruisers, other than UK zombie type or other such quirks.

DD's need their stealth back, or they need survivability. And depending on nation, out right changes to how the ship play. For them and cruisers, reduced spotting time after firing is long over due. They need radar to have some limitation - be it not going through rocks or only working for the ship using it (and only mini map spots for the team). They need to get rid of that junk mod they added that makes it all torps are spotted at 1.8 km cause especially against slower torps, like USN's, there's almost no excuse to not dodge torps if you take it. Other than Shimakaze (which needs it only really on it's stock torps) the old IJN torp line needs the range it's torps are spotted back down to the same levels as every other nation not using DWT's, or at least cut in half or reduced to .1 over. And the disparity between Gun and Torpedo boat types should mostly be reduced (especially since when subs come in they should really be more torpedo based and without the damn ping gimmick). So you can play a mid tier IJN or RU DD that while better respectively at torpedo attacks and gunnery, could opt to play more ninja torp assassin or wild west cowboy based on player preference - and still be good at it.

CV's - they are basically always going to be stuck with one optimized skill choice. And I'm fine with that as long as they give us module choices like in RTS to customize are play. But so far CV's under the rework have mostly lacked that and are a farce. Make IJN CV's actually historical, there are a number of options because while personally I'd restrict attack planes to the bombs they actually carried being HE, the standard torps and/or SAP DB's could be swapped out for Level Bombing AP (800 kg) bombs or Level Bombing carpet bombers (cause IJN TB's could and did do that kind of stuff). USN could choose between type of plane, type of ordnance, etc. UK HE rockets and SAP ones, maybe HE vs AP but more unique could be to bypass bombs for a second smaller TB group since they focused on torp carrying planes that could also carry bombs, and skip bombing would be another option. Tweak are play and all that way, far more interesting. Though they would have to actually work on balancing CV's (a lot of ordnance damage needs to come down, AA needs to be fixed/balanced, plane regen/hanger needs to be worked on, etc) and bring back odd tiers before we get to that.

They'd also have to stop with things like secondary's being a national flavour thing. Okay fine Germany get's 1/4 that allows theirs to even wreck BB's when they hit weaker armour spots, fine, USN 127 mm guns should still have some decent range and be able to aim someplace they do damage on non-DD's and not just be fire starters. That even goes for cruisers cause yeah, especially some of the Battle/Super cruisers could be decent secondary using ships. 

They'd have to make it so players aren't pushed to survivability builds in BB's because of raining fiery death in longer range sniping matches and make it players of all ship types (save CV's) can actually get closer in and fight at closer ranges to make secondary builds worth something again and not just the 'manly' build. Make it that maybe it's worth making a sneakier BB build to sort of flank an enemy team when in a faster one then surprise them. 

Unless you remove skill entirely - there will never be no 'optimal build' for a ship, even a type may still have one that is considered overall 'better' than the others - but they can at least make it choosing to run secondary build on German and French BB's is a choice in style more than a handicap. But that requires changes well beyond the skill tree, because if we went back 4+ years - sure Germany would still be king of secondary builds with it's 15 cm guns, but French and even ships like Mass would terrorize DD's and cruisers pushing in to caps with secondaries only worried about not getting torped for sailing in a straight line than 152 mm raining death from behind an island - unless it was aiming at the superstructure. Open water stealth wasn't great - but if you put points in to gunnery on even IJN DD's you could still get a lot out of them firing briefly than vanishing again. Same with cruisers - they didn't have to cower behind islands like now, they could fire and fade away. Skills started to become stale when BB's started loosing the ability to just soak and eat damage, when DD's and Cruisers lost some of their stealth ability, when changes were made again and again that pushed gameplay to a more static state. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 4

[NSEW]
Members
2,909 posts
12,205 battles
3 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Thank you for everything.  And thank you all for reading.

Those are my sentiments to the silent warriors.  They are truly the ones that really profoundly had (has) an effect to the mass public, unlike the affect the Whiskey Golf tries to show in their own efforts.

Thank you all for helping the community!

• Cool 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,881 posts
21,610 battles

+1 on the review but I am enjoying the Florida. Everyone has their preferences but it's not bad. Certainly can defend herself against carriers with her decent AA. The reload time is my biggest issue. 

Upvote - GIF - Imgur

• Cool 1

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,421 posts
2,511 battles

I want to like the Florida but she may very well be out of my skill range which happens. I think she's too soft to be good enough to be a true BB and that makes it doubly hard when paired at top or mid tier where you are expected to be the beater for your team. Be careful on saying the ship is good because it's performing well. The Roma is performing fairly well compared to other tier 8 BB's and she is far from the strongest with some incredibly glaring weaknesses.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,528 posts
26,254 battles

I swear, she posts these right when I'm off to work now to give other people a chance to reply first :P

es9dFMQ.gif

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2

[ARGSY]
Members
30,557 posts
28,102 battles
3 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Take this review lightly. Mouse, while knowledgeable, is subject to her own personal biases, likes, preferences, just like the rest of us.

She has said as much herself in the past.

Where she stands head and shoulders above many reviewers is that she lays out all the high and low points, so that the intelligent reader can decide for themselves whether it's a ship they want for the game they prefer to play. The PvE-exclusive player doesn't appreciate a ship's strengths and vulnerabilities through the same lens as a KOTS finalist, for example, nor should they be expected to.

As for the ship herself, WG pitched her at someone who wants a moderately fast (not quite 30kt, but not 20 either) US BB with lots of gun barrels at Tier 7. Trouble is, I don't insist on such a ship being American; if I want a ship which does the things Florida does, I have KGV and Lyon. If for any particular reason I need a fast American battleship, I have Georgia. 

She just isn't a must-have in my fleet, which for me makes her a don't-buy. I'd actually rather get California, because she's an extension of a ship type (US Standards) that I have played a lot and really enjoy.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,320 posts

Time to load up on bath salts and eat the faces of cruisers