Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Jaeger_14

Some Tips for Anchorage (by extension American CA)?

11 comments in this topic

[STRM]
Members
1 post
5,997 battles

Hello All! 

Long time casual player (been around since just after open beta yet only around 4k battles), but this is my first post on the forums proper. I just managed to grind out the Anchorage event totally yesterday, and have been trying to figure out my new prize. I have grinded the American CA line up to the New Orleans, but I stopped there and have kinda switched back to British CLs since I seem to click with that playstyle more. I WANT to get better with the Anchorage, and by extension the high tier American CAs, however, because I recognize the utility and firepower they can bring into a game.

I understand that islands are important, however the angling and visibility gets me every time. I seem to always be too far back and then proceed to eat citadels from the weirdest angles, or I get too close to the island and I am unable to provide any fire support. I wonder if I am maybe getting too close to caps and being prioritized; but I feel like if I sit back any further I become useless. It's totally different from the German CAs and British CLs that I am used to. With the Germans, generally medium range and kiting means you can tank quite a bit, even in open water, and DPM down targets. Especially effective when you have a friend to act as a meat shield. With the British CLs, I feel like I can be aggressive (where I am comfortable), using my stealth, gun arcs, and smoke-hydro to really get into a cap or provide support for my friendly DDs. But with the Americans, it's different, and the New Orleans doesn't really totally prepare you for T8 and upwards in terms of armor and capabilities.

Also, I'm a numpty casual and aggressive "I don't know my name but I must kill" kind of person, so there's that.

Thank you all in advance!

Edited by Jaeger_14
Spelling

[PVE]
Members
1,147 posts
11,447 battles

I am not going to get Anchorage and I actually FXP skipped the Buffalo so I can't say for certain, but I think Anchorage/Buffalo are just awkward all of the way around and they stick out in terms of how the line feels.

This is how Seattle is on the US CL line. Seattle is just awkward in that it has worse firing arcs, speed, and handling for its tier compared to the other ships in its line. I compensated for that by staying a couple of km further back to at least have a shot at reacting to things and repositioning.

Most Buffalos I saw played a bit further back than Des Moines and Baltimores tended to as well. That might be the way to go. 

[FRFR]
Members
1,608 posts

The Anchorage is very similar to Buffalo, which I absolutely hated.  The Buffalo was a much larger ship than Baltimore because of the fourth turret.  In order to take advantage of that turret, you needed to show a lot more broadside, which then got punished heavily. Anchorage shares this weakness, so uses smoke to hide herself.  But the smoke firing penalty is pretty large, so you need to be real careful about your range.  A DD that sneaks up to you can suddenly reveal you when you fire your guns.

So, map awareness is really important.  Having ships that can screen you will help a lot.  Don’t be aggressive in this ship.  I would try to find a spot near islands so you have an escape route ready for when the smoke runs out or if you get spotted.

[SW]
Members
7 posts
14,239 battles

I have the Anchorage and enjoy the ship. It requires a patient play style and an eye for opportunity, rather than blasting away and hoping to tank the response. I have had some success with her, though many of my games have been either/or. Either set a dozen fires on large, slow targets or die early.  Going down early usually because I played too aggressively. Anchorage is a second-line cruiser meant to shoot at range, which ironically is not the spec she was gifted by WG. 15.6km range is all she gets standard, so I choose to mount the spotter plane. Choose your targets carefully (out of range of radar), and coordinate triggering of smoke combined with spotter plane can create some success. Use trigger discipline when in open water or not covered by smoke. If you are shooting at something closer than 8km, you're too close (except targets of opportunity or desperation).

Many players will choose to mount hydro for torpedo detection but her base acceleration is like winter molasses. Dodging torps will be tricky unless you're already pointed in the right direction. Propulsion Mod 1 is a must in my opinion, in any case. 

Anchorage is not easy to play, but that doesn't make her bad. I enjoy the ship because it requires me to use my head.

• Cool 1

[CHBAY]
Beta Testers
621 posts
4,278 battles

I'm really enjoying Anchorage. It's kind of soft, so hang back and rotate between HE and AP. It has great smoke and can get out of a bad spot similar to the Italians. I noticed a lot of people spite-shoot this ship, so try not to be the first one seen.

[NMKJT]
Members
4,125 posts
9,114 battles

Anchorage is gonna be real nasty in games when the new ship shoot this effect wears off. It's quite easy to get damage in her unless the map and team positioning absolutely spite you.

• Cool 1

[SKULS]
Members
288 posts
6,828 battles

USS Anchorage is a Heavy Cruiser with some very good gear and guns I really like the long smoke time and 10.5 kts range for torps I was skeptical at first but after running this ship I'm all in with its performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UOVaFfq91M

Edited by CaptDavid

[1CVDV]
Members
308 posts
14,014 battles

I am in full agreement with what most people are saying.i too feel anchorage is a nice addition to the u.s cruiser line.she can punish the reds and the longer she is in game the stronger she gets.i think anchorage gets a bad rap,and its mostly from people who don't reconige nor use her strengths.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Members
15 posts

I'm a relatively new player and I really enjoy the Anchorage.  I've played the German cruiser line and use a similar play style with the Anchorage.  I learned WoWs playing battleships and had to adjust to being lightly armored, but nimble.  The Anchorage requires one's full attention because it's all about situation awareness - setting up good ones (and escaping bad ones) using islands, smoke and angles.  There's a good video on Twitch about Anchorage being a division boat, and I agree.

• Cool 1

[CHBAY]
Beta Testers
621 posts
4,278 battles

I decided to give her the acceleration boost mod instead of the rudder timing and wow, it's like night and day. She can actually scoot out of trouble in good fashion now.

Sign in to follow this