Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

Think it's time for a break

30 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,593 posts
7,430 battles

I got on this evening looking to grind to the Kansas...and just looked at the missions and directives and it just didn't appeal to me. Early access through a grind wall to me is kinda silly when you can just click a button and unlock the boat with the free xp saved from the Colorado. 

I also feel like the game to me has gotten kinda stale. It's the same old story, load up, throw shells at people, rinse and repeat over and over and over and over...or planes...over and over. There isn't really any new content that appeals to me outside of Ise and Tone, but god only knows how long that is gonna take to be released. I thought about grinding Ohio but that's a few months of the above to get through the lines, and spending money on this game is unappealing. 

Tbh I really wanted to see a Pearl Harbor refit line to grind at this point, but I suspect it's just gonna be money outta my pocket for boats that shoulda been in the game since beta :/

I'll be back when there is new content, ya'll enjoy your games (I mean that in the nicest/least snarky way possible.) 

• Cool 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
12,005 posts
21,175 battles

I've been thinking about getting a really nice steering wheel with 3 pedals and a 6 speed shifter with reverse and a Nemo brake lever. The non team work aspect of this game, kind of blew random and ranked battles for me and WG doesn't want to work on the PVE aspect of the game. I like the skill part of racing and there is no RNG ruining the game for you.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
12,669 posts
14,320 battles
6 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I've been thinking about getting a really nice steering wheel with 3 pedals and a 6 speed shifter with reverse and a Nemo brake lever. The non team work aspect of this game, kind of blew random and ranked battles for me and WG doesn't want to work on the PVE aspect of the game. I like the skill part of racing and there is no RNG ruining the game for you.

Chess is like that too where it’s purely your skills vs your your opponent’s skills as a player.

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles
7 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

Early access through a grind wall to me is kinda silly when you can just click a button and unlock the boat with the free xp saved from the Colorado. 

I take it that credits are not a problem for you.

I reground the Colorado in anticipation of an RNG event and could have let it go this entire patch, but the fact that I will get my Kansas fully buffed with all the B upgrades paid for is a major attraction to pushing on. 

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,155 posts
12,294 battles

I got on this evening looking to grind to the Kansas...and just looked at the missions and directives and it just didn't appeal to me. Early access through a grind wall to me is kinda silly when you can just click a button and unlock the boat with the free xp saved from the Colorado. 

I also feel like the game to me has gotten kinda stale. It's the same old story, load up, throw shells at people, rinse and repeat over and over and over and over...or planes...over and over. There isn't really any new content that appeals to me outside of Ise and Tone, but god only knows how long that is gonna take to be released. I thought about grinding Ohio but that's a few months of the above to get through the lines, and spending money on this game is unappealing. 

Tbh I really wanted to see a Pearl Harbor refit line to grind at this point, but I suspect it's just gonna be money outta my pocket for boats that shoulda been in the game since beta :/

I'll be back when there is new content, ya'll enjoy your games (I mean that in the nicest/least snarky way possible.) 

Alright, see ya when you get back, Dr.Venture.  

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

Well, there is new content like every patch these days. Remember the undocumented carrier patch just last patch? Boy oh howdy that was some seriously new - and Free, Free, Free! - content. 

I get where you're coming from. It's as if your gaming fun has turned into a gaming job. Same old, same old. Strap on a ship, jump in the water, 20 minutes maximum life credits burned. Seven hundred and thirty missions/objectives/grinds/ships/patches and insignia glare back at you too. "Get to work and grind me!" they cry out. 

Maybe subs will return soon, eh?  And hey - don't we have ARP returning very soon? 

If you take an extended break @Dr_Venture be sure to keep it under that magical six months (180 days) so you don't miss out on any of the free gunk coming our way. Sign in and play a few matches around five months or thereabouts. 

Enjoy your break!!! 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

I'm at the opposite end, I play the game to enjoy taking the ships into battle, I only add new ships for more variety, if I could just add all the ships to my fleet that wouldn't affect how much I play at all, either way. 

But WG seems determined to degrade the actual gameplay over time, making it less and less appealing.  Graphics "upgrades" that make the water look like plastic and crank up the glare.  Sound "upgrades" that make the game sound like an 80s arcade built by 2020 Las Vegas designers.  UI "upgrades" that look thrown-together and are actually less informative half the time.  A CV rebork that's still a WIP almost two years in.  The looming submarine and skill rebork problems.   Unannounced changes to gameplay that they try to tell us aren't (see, latest CV changes).   Etc. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,682 posts
30,013 battles

For years players have been complaining that the game is stale. If the forum archives went back to when I started, the complaint was often cited as a reason to move on. It truly is the same old thing over and over just using different types of ships. The game lacks direction and depth and without a story to compel you, it just gets boring. Scenarios were a breath of fresh air with rewards to farm and something new to do but of course, Wargaming stopped working on that.... It is a shame. 

At a certain point you just have to look at where you are spending time and money and decide if it is worth it to you. New nations, new ships, etc, seem pointless if you are not playing the ones you have now. I came to that realization when the Pan Asian DDs were released. All I could think in my head is "Why?" and ignored them. 

All of Wargaming's titles are fun at first and then you get to realize that you are just playing the maps. Everyone goes for their "spot" and it plays out the way it is going to play out. It isn't especially complex, it isn't especially interesting, but the flashy sounds & graphics along with the idea that you are using some wonderful historic vehicles gets the blood up a bit. After playing a while it is just like Tanks only wetter. Wargaming lacks imagination and it shows in their products. 

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Members
7,875 posts
42,745 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Chess is like that too where it’s purely your skills vs your your opponent’s skills as a player.

I play GO so there's that.

[BEA5T]
Members
6,807 posts
34,353 battles
11 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

For years players have been complaining that the game is stale. If the forum archives went back to when I started, the complaint was often cited as a reason to move on. It truly is the same old thing over and over just using different types of ships. The game lacks direction and depth and without a story to compel you, it just gets boring. Scenarios were a breath of fresh air with rewards to farm and something new to do but of course, Wargaming stopped working on that.... It is a shame. 

At a certain point you just have to look at where you are spending time and money and decide if it is worth it to you. New nations, new ships, etc, seem pointless if you are not playing the ones you have now. I came to that realization when the Pan Asian DDs were released. All I could think in my head is "Why?" and ignored them. 

All of Wargaming's titles are fun at first and then you get to realize that you are just playing the maps. Everyone goes for their "spot" and it plays out the way it is going to play out. It isn't especially complex, it isn't especially interesting, but the flashy sounds & graphics along with the idea that you are using some wonderful historic vehicles gets the blood up a bit. After playing a while it is just like Tanks only wetter. Wargaming lacks imagination and it shows in their products. 

So true.  Marginal equals Pass (M=P) is all this corporation can manage.  And, they are at least breaking even at this point.........  What that says is that the market has grown complacent.  And that, will soon change from the outside.  AI driven games and government interventions will "force the gaming markets" to adapt or evolve to remain viable. 

Unless you are a collector, New should be about how the game "evolves" towards some goal(s).....   This game doesn't even try.   In three years this December, it seriously hasn't done a thing to "innovate the battlespace" nor the environment....  Quite the contrary.   The Cruiser Line Split; Update 8.0; removing or nerfing PVE content and scenarios; the Dockyard fiascos; and, the endless "clone wars" as the US BB event is the latest buy wall gimmick......   Ever wonder what happened to subs???  

Is it worth it?   That is a personal choice.   

• Cool 1

[SVF]
Members
2,893 posts
2,776 battles
1 hour ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

can i interested you with this?

https://replayswows.com/replay/110410#stats

Often players complained about the speed too slow, the re load too long. They over look the line characteristic. It sniper so you need to position where you can get some good shots and preparing to get away or push. You dont get in range that could endanger you and if you too far back your shots not count. You need to find the right range.

x9 citadel hits (cruisers/bb), but not from the back, from the front line. Barely use repair and heal and mostly stay concealed until shots out. The new is offering interesting new way of play. Required very high skills floor, are you up to the challenge?

Everyone can cherry pick games where everything goes right to make a ship look better than it really is.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles
8 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

Maybe not beta, but sooner than this split - and this split should have been it. 

But I've been considering a break too. My reduced playing as it is in terms of gameplay I don't have that issue. But my issue is yeah - directives that make this game more of a job if you want the rewards, the bull that was PR and other things, this joke of a split, a lot with the German CV's and really CV's since the rework, on top of my issues with CV's since alpha that have never been addressed, the lazy as hell CV and Submarine tech trees, and just a 5+ year long list of stupid, underhanded, taught literally in 101 classes of game design and intro to international business to not do actions and mistakes, I'm honestly so far past the boiling point it's not even funny. It's honestly hard to word things without completly devolving in to swear filled rants and seem 'non-constructive' which seems to be an ever moving damn bar that at times feels more like "the devs don't want to hear it so it's not constructive".

Oh, and if any WG people see this - don't be mistaken, I'm not leaving the forum. I will still be lurking here to give you all headaches and rant at some of the bush league nonsense you pull, the T-Balls you some how miss like a USN split where you literally have 3/8 ships for a full split already in game as premiums, 3/6 if we lop off tiers 3 and 4, and your incompetence at even some basic historical accuracy in areas - particularly in CV's where at minimum 70% of the issues shouldn't even be one. Seriously - no one on your staff ANYWHERE speaks freaking German to tell you that you called AP rockets simply 'High Explosive', and maybe tossed an 'AP' at the end which is the wrong damn designation? I mean, considering even google translate could tell you that one, and it took me 5-10 minutes to find a freaking manual on German munition designations and abbreviations, just to make sure I wasn't misremembering since I actually studied WWII long enough and do speak some German - that mistake is like missing the T-ball and managing to smack yourself in the head levels of fail.

• Thanks 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
4,308 battles
2 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

It's honestly hard to word things without completly devolving in to swear filled rants and seem 'non-constructive' which seems to be an ever moving damn bar that at times feels more like "the devs don't want to hear it so it's not constructive".

Seems?

No, dont pull that punch.

WG deserves to have it land.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
13 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

It's honestly hard to word things without completly devolving in to swear filled rants and seem 'non-constructive' which seems to be an ever moving damn bar that at times feels more like "the devs don't want to hear it so it's not constructive".

10 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Seems?

No, dont pull that punch.

WG deserves to have it land.

That's pretty much universal to all online video game discussion venues that are official or run by those who seek official recognition.  Posts that praise, support, or cheer-lead the decisions of the company are given far more leeway than posts that are critical in any way. 

If it seems bad here, then take a look at Paradox, where posts that criticize are almost automatically called "trolling", and the moderators outright LIE about past conversations they've had with posters.

Devs/publishers don't create these venues to build community or foster honest discussion, they create them as a hype pipeline. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

New should be about how the game "evolves" towards some goal(s)

What sort of goal do you propose? Personally, one of the things I like about this game is that it doesn't have an "end" (besides the last day before the servers shut down). I'm not that much of a grinder that I can even keep up with the lines as they are introduced, much less finish off the ones I haven't already done, so even if I saw "Every T10 in my port" as the ultimate definition of "winning", I'd be spending a long time catching up. 

Update 8.0;

I know it displeased a lot of people, but I'd never have gone any higher than T6 without it. The rework made Randoms CV play enjoyable for me for the first time.

removing or nerfing PVE content and scenarios;

My feelings are mixed about this. IMHO it created two classes of Operations players - the hardcore divisioned-up farmers and the unleavened mass that was everyone else. It meant there was a lack of better players to carry first-timers to a win and encourage them to keep trying. It's the reason Newport is such a sh**show - all the people who could guarantee at least a four-star finish every time were div-farming their way through Dynamo (when it was King) and Narai (after it disappeared). I tried the Hoperations discord a couple of times and felt I was utterly unwelcome if I wanted to do anything other than farm Narai. And that poisoned me against Operations. THAT IS ON THE PLAYERBASE.

In the meantime, the last year or two have seen Co-op given entry to more things than ever before - almost every directive can now be completed in co-op; every campaign since Halsey has had a co-op completion path (and the latest one is universally co-op compatible); we have been given more bot ships to kill and and the issues with regard to early ending on points were fixed for us. You had to be around for the Indianapolis Marathon in 2018 and the shift to Directives thereafter to understand how much the landscape has shifted for Co-op mains. 

Yes, this game is built around Randoms, Ranked and Clan Battles and yes, there will be some things that a Co-op exclusive player simply can't get done. But sometimes I think the PvE only crowd has a very short memory.

1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

New nations, new ships, etc, seem pointless if you are not playing the ones you have now.

That has to be the biggest non-sequitur I've ever seen in three years here. 

• Cool 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
1,424 posts
8,278 battles

CP 2077 is right around the corner. My WoWS playtime will be taking a hit when that game drops. 

• Cool 1

[T_D_F]
Members
1,739 posts
12,900 battles
1 minute ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

CP 2077 is right around the corner. My WoWS playtime will be taking a hit when that game drops. 

This game is gonna be sublime.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
8 minutes ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

6 minutes ago, Pytheas said:

This game is gonna be sublime.

I was very much looking forward to that game... interesting setting, potentially a good character build system, CDPR's disdain for invasive "DRM", etc... and then they announced first-person-only, and that was the end of that.  I'd like to be able to see my character, third person makes controlling the character in chaotic environments so much more intuitive (we don't have character's full suite of senses to get around the world in so it makes up for that, for starters), and then there's the motion sickness issue. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
4,308 battles
26 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

That's pretty much universal to all online video game discussion venues that are official or run by those who seek official recognition.  Posts that praise, support, or cheer-lead the decisions of the company are given far more leeway than posts that are critical in any way. 

If it seems bad here, then take a look at Paradox, where posts that criticize are almost automatically called "trolling", and the moderators outright LIE about past conversations they've had with posters.

Devs/publishers don't create these venues to build community or foster honest discussion, they create them as a hype pipeline. 

The sad thing is Paradox didnt used to be that way...

...but I left before it got as bad as you say...as I couldnt afford the constant DLC spam business model.

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
1,424 posts
8,278 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I was very much looking forward to that game... interesting setting, potentially a good character build system, CDPR's disdain for invasive "DRM", etc... and then they announced first-person-only, and that was the end of that.

Sorry to hear that. I am a big proponent of choice in video games. That they left out 3rd person is sad and I do understand that some people have issues with 1st person. For me, though, it's the opposite. I can't stand the 'over the shoulder' 3rd person view. I don't need to see the PC as it is supposed to be me.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
4 minutes ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

Sorry to hear that. I am a big proponent of choice in video games. That they left out 3rd person is sad and I do understand that some people have issues with 1st person. For me, though, it's the opposite. I can't stand the 'over the shoulder' 3rd person view. I don't need to see the PC as it is supposed to be me.

Maybe it's for the best.  I don't like where the video game industry has gone and is headed, most games are clearly not targeted at me, and the business models of most companies range from aggravating to downright abusive.  The things that Asym_KS talks about in the future of gaming, with AI-driven "adaptation" to the player sound downright horrible. 

Like I've said before, this is very likely my last video game, and I'm probably done gaming once WG finally makes this game into the unplayable mess they seem determined to make it with things like the looming skill rebork.

[BEA5T]
Members
6,807 posts
34,353 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

What sort of goal do you propose? Personally, one of the things I like about this game is that it doesn't have an "end" (besides the last day before the servers shut down). I'm not that much of a grinder that I can even keep up with the lines as they are introduced, much less finish off the ones I haven't already done, so even if I saw "Every T10 in my port" as the ultimate definition of "winning", I'd be spending a long time catching up. 

I know it displeased a lot of people, but I'd never have gone any higher than T6 without it. The rework made Randoms CV play enjoyable for me for the first time.

My feelings are mixed about this. IMHO it created two classes of Operations players - the hardcore divisioned-up farmers and the unleavened mass that was everyone else. It meant there was a lack of better players to carry first-timers to a win and encourage them to keep trying. It's the reason Newport is such a sh**show - all the people who could guarantee at least a four-star finish every time were div-farming their way through Dynamo (when it was King) and Narai (after it disappeared). I tried the Hoperations discord a couple of times and felt I was utterly unwelcome if I wanted to do anything other than farm Narai. And that poisoned me against Operations. THAT IS ON THE PLAYERBASE.

In the meantime, the last year or two have seen Co-op given entry to more things than ever before - almost every directive can now be completed in co-op; every campaign since Halsey has had a co-op completion path (and the latest one is universally co-op compatible); we have been given more bot ships to kill and and the issues with regard to early ending on points were fixed for us. You had to be around for the Indianapolis Marathon in 2018 and the shift to Directives thereafter to understand how much the landscape has shifted for Co-op mains. 

Yes, this game is built around Randoms, Ranked and Clan Battles and yes, there will be some things that a Co-op exclusive player simply can't get done. But sometimes I think the PvE only crowd has a very short memory.

Games need a "Vision" as to where, in the future, the game is headed.   First world level, competitive game do this very well......  A Vision statement is the strategic direction for corporations to outline, what they see as to the products and services of the future of that business.  Something to look forward to.   In this game, as an example: "2021 is looking for a few great CPT's to escort strategic material convoys across the North Atlantic....  Do you have what it takes......outnumbered in the Cold Atlantic???"   A new major game mode for 2021.  Or, another......"Ever wonder what happens when shooting over the Horizon becomes normal?  Where radar is the aiming reticle and missiles fly fast and true...... Care to take a chance>?" (Cold war tease...)  Or, "what happens Captains, when two equally armed Surface Action Groups literally turn the corner of an Island and have a meeting engagement at point black ranges?  Are you good enough to survive up close and personal........>?"   What do we get now..................sigh.........."get ready captains, the Polish Battleship and Carrier lines are coming out in Update.........."  WOW, so exciting.  

Look, if you want to collect every T10 ship...........have at it.  That's a might boring but, to each their own I wish you well.........!  Truly.  I like a lot of what you publish !

Given more things?  I've spent a long time in corporate business systems development and designing corporate "business and innovative cultural systems;" and, throwing scraps at PVE in counter intuitive to say the least.   Their previous marketing and game play nightmares drove off a great many people.........serious, paying customers!   That would have gotten a great many of us normal people relived of our corporate duties and dismissed......  Paying customers.......a lot of "collectors" left this game and that, is outright Gumpian........to say the least.  For what?  A game mode that is fraught with illicit conduct (Clan Battles and the teams that were dismissed because of using team composition exploits?);  another PVP mode that is so unbalanced that there is little chance of player parity because the game population and skill densities are a mess (Ranked); or, the flag ship mode where stomps are the norm; where negative karma is the communication tool; and, where there is no technology/weapons balances that are the draw for gimmick laden sales events (Carriers and Radar Cruisers>?)  

PVE is the place where the "rest of us ended up versus uninstalling the game.......that place?

We have wildly divergent opinions.     And, I don't see that as an issue.....

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
3 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

For years players have been complaining that the game is stale. If the forum archives went back to when I started, the complaint was often cited as a reason to move on. It truly is the same old thing over and over just using different types of ships. The game lacks direction and depth and without a story to compel you, it just gets boring.

This is true, and the reason why this type of game is never the only game I play.

I mean sure, they can add new game modes, or whatever foofaraw they want, but the core gameplay is always going to be red vs. blue matches.

I'm ok with that though, because it means that, years after release, the game is still what I expect, and will reliably scratch my itch for the gameplay type.

Edited by Skpstr

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,682 posts
30,013 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Biggest huh? Fascinating, you must not read much...... 

2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

This is true, and the reason why this type of game is never the only game I play.

I mean sure, they can add new game modes, or whatever foofaraw they want, but the core gameplay is always going to be red vs. blue matches.

I'm ok with that though, because it means that, years after release, the game is still what I expect, and will reliably scratch my itch for the gameplay type.

This is probably the most healthy opinion so far. Just play a bit and only when you are wanting to do some scratching. I have done this with Tanks and is probably why I still play it almost daily for one match. Course that is all you have to do in order to get a free tank every month so it works out nicely. I am still figuring out if I have left Ships or not. Every day after playing my tank, I look at the screen and ponder if I am interested in playing Ships.. For the past week or so the answer has been no and really just not feeling it anymore. 

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
3 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

This is probably the most healthy opinion so far. Just play a bit and only when you are wanting to do some scratching. 

Having said that, since the wife and kid are back to school, and I'm still only back part-time, I've been pretty itchy lol.