You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MillenniumDuck

Started 2 months ago today

19 comments in this topic

[FUMA]
Members
102 posts
2,371 battles

Got enough coal to buy first Coal ship.

After talking to many people they all said I should get  Pommern. Seams like a fun ship.

I didn't use the 25% off coupon yet, so asking should I work on another ship or get the capt next?

• Cool 1

[Y0L0]
Members
2,237 posts
11,069 battles

I'm not sure about the appeal of the Pommern, due to its similiarly to tech tree FDG.

Personally I would save for a T10 coal ship, but thats because I know I can afford the T9s for cash if I needed to.

I would definitely try to use the coupon before decembre if you are able to, so you are in time and dont miss out on the reset.

[FUMA]
Members
102 posts
2,371 battles
10 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

I'm not sure about the appeal of the Pommern, due to its similiarly to tech tree FDG.

Personally I would save for a T10 coal ship, but thats because I know I can afford the T9s for cash if I needed to.

I would definitely try to use the coupon before decembre if you are able to, so you are in time and dont miss out on the reset.

Well I should  be able to get  a T10 coal ship by Dec, took me  2 month today to grind out 228k coal.

Would of had more but I bought two of the Radar upgrades for 17k coal each. for the Des Moines and Petro

Edited by MillenniumDuck

Members
2,445 posts
5,473 battles
1 hour ago, Akeno017 said:

Pommern makes all ships think twice about rushing in with 1 around.

[Y0L0]
Members
2,237 posts
11,069 battles
Just now, Legio_X_ said:

The only differences I could see is the triple 380mm (which are by far so of the ugliest turrets ingame) vs. the double 406mms and torp tubes.
Beyond torp tubes, not seeing a real reason to buy Pommern when owning a FDG.

[FUMA]
Members
102 posts
2,371 battles
12 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

The only differences I could see is the triple 380mm (which are by far so of the ugliest turrets ingame) vs. the double 406mms and torp tubes.

I just started  German bb's yesterday for the  bismarck camo mission

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
10,529 posts
19 minutes ago, MillenniumDuck said:

I just started  German bb's yesterday for the  bismarck camo mission

I am big fan of secondary build ships.  While they are not the most efficient builds possible, ships designed to use them are lots of fun I think.  I have the FDG, GK, Odin, Tirp and Sharn but still plan on picking up the Pom.  It's a good premium BB and looks like a really fun secondary ship.

The only reason I haven't snagged it yet is I want to make sure that I am going to have enough steel to use my coupon for the FDR, before it expires.  If for some reason that doesn't work out, I will burn my coupon on the Pom to save some coal and make use of the coupon before I get a new one.

[FUMA]
Members
102 posts
2,371 battles
33 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I am big fan of secondary build ships.  While they are not the most efficient builds possible, ships designed to use them are lots of fun I think.  I have the FDG, GK, Odin, Tirp and Sharn but still plan on picking up the Pom.  It's a good premium BB and looks like a really fun secondary ship.

The only reason I haven't snagged it yet is I want to make sure that I am going to have enough steel to use my coupon for the FDR, before it expires.  If for some reason that doesn't work out, I will burn my coupon on the Pom to save some coal and make use of the coupon before I get a new one.

I'm long ways from steel ships only have 13,700 ...I did get lucky with 3 super containers though.

But I guess I need to try grind out for  the thunder next and use that coupon before some kind of reset they said.

Edited by MillenniumDuck

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
10,529 posts
1 minute ago, MillenniumDuck said:

I'm long ways from steel ships only have 13,700 ...I did get lucky with 3 super containers though

Yeah steel is a very long term goal.  While I don't have the Pom yet, I research new ships to death and watch every available review video.  While you should too to decide for yourself but I will not hesitate to pick up the Pom.

[A-I-M]
Members
4,854 posts
18,002 battles
1 hour ago, Akeno017 said:

Because FDG stands for Frikking Dung-Garbage, which it is.

Pommern is not. Twelve barrels that actually hit and damage stuff. Plus the torpedos.

Every battle I was in, in FDG,  the Reds always could grab it by the balls. With Pommern, their hands aren’t big enough.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,881 posts
21,610 battles
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

As a fellow fan of secondary build ships I certainly hope you have the Massachusetts. While it doesn't have the armor protection of the German BB line, or the built in bonus penetration, it has hard hitting guns, solid AA, and a fast heal. I'm also planning on picking up the Pommern in December when the coupon resets. Gunther Lutjens is also an excellent addition to the Odin and Tirpitz by the way; he literally procs every battle. 

[WOLFC]
Members
5,898 posts
16,516 battles
1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Because FDG stands for Frikking Dung-Garbage, which it is.

Pommern is not. Twelve barrels that actually hit and damage stuff. Plus the torpedos.

Every battle I was in, in FDG,  the Reds always could grab it by the balls. With Pommern, their hands aren’t big enough.

FdG has not been “garbage” for nearly two years. Around late 2018 to early 2019 she received several buffs that greatly improved her performance. The same is true with Izumo, and you still see many players unfairly deriding her as well.

Pommern also has significantly worse accuracy than FdG (1.5 vs 1.8 sigma), but the extra volume of shells compensates somewhat even with the longer reload. However, Pommern’s 380mm guns struggle more against the armor seen at high tiers. She can’t overmatch a lot of the cruisers in her MM spread, and against battleships you’re going to miss the extra pen of the 406s. 

Regardless, neither BB has truly terrible accuracy - this “German dispersion” meme just needs to die, because it has not existed for quite some time since German battleships got the US/UK dispersion. French BBs and the upcoming Italian BBs are the only ships with “German” dispersion.

3 hours ago, Akeno017 said:

Pommern is essentially an FdG that is further optimized for brawling. At closer ranges the lower pen of the 380s and her lower accuracy isn’t as much a factor, and the torpedoes, while situational, can be very useful and help compensate for her lower caliber against enemy battleships. Pommern also doesn’t have an aircraft catapult, so she doesn’t get the spotter/fighter option. Unlike Tirpitz, however, she does have hydro, which is a huge deal and one of the main reasons I’ve never picked up a Tirpitz. In contrast, FdG has better penetration and much shorter reload (26s base with the 406s vs. Pommern’s 33s), so this combined with the better accuracy make her a more flexible platform.

If you love secondary builds and smashing in faces at point blank range, Pommern is great and a lot of fun. If you prefer a more traditional main battery-focused style of battleship play at mid-to-long range while still having good secondaries, FdG is a better fit. That’s not to say Pommern can’t fulfill the more traditional BB role - she still has the amazing FdG armor scheme that, IMO, is superior to GK’s and 12 barrels solve a lot of problems. However, her gun performance can be frustrating when forced into long-range engagements, and for those experienced with German BBs the long reload can feel very frustrating and out of place.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,315 posts
27,013 battles

I have that ship. it's a good ship get it and enjoy.................................

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
4 hours ago, Legio_X_ said:

It's not horrible at range either, certainly seems more reliable than FdG.

[SNGNS]
Members
611 posts
7,154 battles

pommern is one of the most fun ships i have at that tier. literally in my first game with it i torped two divved scharnhorst who did not know how to torpedo while killing a mahan with my secondaries. will it always happen like that? no, absolutely not. but is it fun regardless? yes! absolutely yes!

[PHD]
Members
479 posts
18,967 battles
6 hours ago, Akeno017 said:

Pommern is light years better than FDG and is the best brawling battleship in the game.

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,284 battles

Pommern is a fantastic ship, particularly if you’re still in the early stages if your WoWs career. You’ve chosen wisely.

Being honest, I wouldn’t invest Coal into any of the Captains right now. Save it and use it to get yourself another resource ship with your coupon before it expires. 

[EQRN]
Members
2,440 posts
24,641 battles
7 hours ago, MillenniumDuck said:

Got enough coal to buy first Coal ship.

After talking to many people they all said I should get  Pommern. Seams like a fun ship.

I didn't use the 25% off coupon yet, so asking should I work on another ship or get the capt next?

If you mean the 175k captains, there is a skill rework coming up in the not too distant future that could affect said captains.  I would wait until WG gives definitive explanations on how/if special captains will have their skills changed before sinking that much coal into one.

[Y0L0]
Members
2,237 posts
11,069 battles
2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

FdG has not been “garbage” for nearly two years. Around late 2018 to early 2019 she received several buffs that greatly improved her performance. The same is true with Izumo, and you still see many players unfairly deriding her as well.

I learned this recently when I decided to research bureau the entire line after a 2 year vacation from the game, FDG is amazingly capable from what she once was.

2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Pommern is essentially an FdG that is further optimized for brawling. At closer ranges the lower pen of the 380s and her lower accuracy isn’t as much a factor, and the torpedoes, while situational, can be very useful and help compensate for her lower caliber against enemy battleships. Pommern also doesn’t have an aircraft catapult, so she doesn’t get the spotter/fighter option. Unlike Tirpitz, however, she does have hydro, which is a huge deal and one of the main reasons I’ve never picked up a Tirpitz. In contrast, FdG has better penetration and much shorter reload (26s base with the 406s vs. Pommern’s 33s), so this combined with the better accuracy make her a more flexible platform.

If you love secondary builds and smashing in faces at point blank range, Pommern is great and a lot of fun. If you prefer a more traditional main battery-focused style of battleship play at mid-to-long range while still having good secondaries, FdG is a better fit. That’s not to say Pommern can’t fulfill the more traditional BB role - she still has the amazing FdG armor scheme that, IMO, is superior to GK’s and 12 barrels solve a lot of problems. However, her gun performance can be frustrating when forced into long-range engagements, and for those experienced with German BBs the long reload can feel very frustrating and out of place.

I played my FDG using a hybrid secondary/main gun build and it worked really well at the mid-ranges I tended to play her at. Pommern might be more suited to a brawl but FDG provides results at all ranges. 
Also the triple turrets on GK/Pommern are uggggggggllllllyyyyyyyyy, and a pretty ship is a righteous and just ship!
Though if Pommern had better turret angles then FDG, then that certainly would be an appeal.

Maybe if I didnt own so many things that already do what Pommern offers in so many ways, I'd be interested.
After Tirpitz and Scharnhorst torps, add in GKs triple turrets and FDG in general and it seems that I have all the aspects of Pommern.
Hence from my perspective, Georgia is a better ship to buy, offering something I don't have (No Ohio/Massa etc), as for Coal, right now my goal to re-acquire the 457mm Conq that was stolen from me to make Thunderer.