Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaRaptor

First Look: Tier VII Premium French Battleship Strasbourg

13 comments in this topic

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,783 posts
15,193 battles

The sister ship of Tier VI Premium French battleship Dunkerque is inbound: Strasbourg. Wargaming is rolling her out as a Tier VII premium. Since she's up-tiered, surely they've made some improvements to justify the tier shift, yes? Yeah, about that...

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

her selling point is her Main battery reload booster,and thats it.

she didnt get the jean bart treatment.

Edited by Cruxdei

[O7]
Supertester
573 posts
15,311 battles

With Bourgogne, Jean Bart, and now Strasbourg, all we need is a T8 BB with reload booster to complete the French MBRB Premium BB line. 

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,163 battles

WG has the ball, they dribble, they shoot, they .....

... get nothing but air. You get this for Thanksgiving; cuz it's a Turkey!

• Funny 1

[WOLF4]
Members
2,518 posts

The Dunk and Rich sisters are my favorite era vessels 

MBRB will have to be enough

I don't know about in game spec, but the reason Strasbourg is slower is because she has thicker belt and main battery armor than her older sister.

225mm belt 330mm main turret face

Vs

283mm belt and 360mm main turret face 

Edited by why_u_heff_to_be_mad

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,566 posts
30,498 battles

The one thing that undermined Dunkerque in Tier VI was unreliable gunnery.  Fantastic shells for the size, but rendered meaningless because she struggled to hit.

FR BB Dispersion = Worst BB Line Dispersion in the game.

Strasbourg is going to inherit that.

Vulnerability to HE Spam isn't surprising.  All FR BBs, even Jean Bart, Republique, Lyon, Bourgogne are all HE Pen'd easily.  When I played my Cruisers in Randoms, I have a choice to attack between different BBs, I go for FR & RN BBs because they're easy to HE Pen.  Even when I played the regular tech tree FR BBs in Randoms, I was always concerned about protecting my Citadel, but I learned early on that if you put yourself in the wrong position as a FR BB, you will get HE DPM'd down very quickly.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[Y0L0]
Members
2,237 posts
11,048 battles

JB is one of the ships I hate fighting the most, everything she does feels like I'm being gimmicked in one way or another.

StressedBorg does not give me this feeling at all, I'll happily chew on her with Musashi and cackle.

[SPTR]
Members
28,204 posts
20,698 battles

Probably the prem ship made with the most laziness, grab a t6 add roughly ~1km to gun range, remove 5 seconds off main gun reload and add mbrb "yup its a t7 ship now"

i think you have sierra mike flag on your Dunkerque no way her speed is 31kts base speed.

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,283 posts
19,151 battles

Dunks' main problem is she is horrible if uptiered, she get's bow penned easily.  I really played this ship a lot, but the gun accuracy does wear on you.  This ship could have been a good candidate for a secondary build, if the the skill was for all BBs not just T8s and above...I really wish that skill would be for all tiers.  

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,566 posts
30,498 battles
1 hour ago, Morpheous said:

Dunks' main problem is she is horrible if uptiered, she get's bow penned easily.  I really played this ship a lot, but the gun accuracy does wear on you.  This ship could have been a good candidate for a secondary build, if the the skill was for all BBs not just T8s and above...I really wish that skill would be for all tiers.  

Dunkeke's shells are great.  It's just she has trouble hitting things.

Artillery Chart confirms Dunkerque & Strasbourg will share the same shells and shell flight characteristics.  Here is how Dunkerque-class 330mm AP measures up to some of the Tier VII 283mm thru 356mm competition.

yle6INn.jpg

Good shell flight characteristics, good Penetration with the AP, the best in this lot.

But HE has to be considered also, especially if she's bottom tier.  Some important BB deck armor values to consider from Tier IX, ships they'd expect to see.

Izumo:  32-57mm deck armor

Musashi:  50-57mm deck armor

Sovetskky Soyuz:  60mm deck armor

FDG & Pommern:  50mm deck armor

All Tier IX USN BBs, to include Minnesota:  38mm deck armor

Strasbourg 330mm 2x4

1.7 Sigma with likely terrible FR BB Dispersion Model

21 seconds reload

4800 HE dmg

55mm HE Pen

35% Fire Chance

Good reload, okay HE damage and Fire Chance.  But the accuracy is going to be trash.  Her HE Pen is also the worst compared to her peers below her in this list.  She can Pen the 50mm deck armor of German BBs, but Izumo, Musashi, Sovetsky Soyuz will have good chunks of their deck armor that will cause non-pens.

California 356mm 4x3

1.9 Sigma with the decent USN / RN BB Dispersion Model

34.2 seconds reload

5000 HE dmg

59mm HE Pen

30% Fire Chance

Mediocre fire chance, but 12 rifles and good accuracy helps offset that.  HE Pen is good, only Sovetsky Soyuz with her 60mm deck armor is safe.  But just when things look pretty decent overall, especially for 12 rifles, you got that harsh, punishing 34.2 seconds reload.

King George V 356mm 2x4, 1x2 (The Gold Standard in Tier VII BB HE capability)

1.8 Sigma with the decent USN / RN BB Dispersion Model

25 seconds reload

6100 HE dmg

89mm HE Pen (Tech Tree RN BBs get an HE Pen Buff)

41% Fire Chance

Decent accuracy, and the reload is still good to go among this crowd.  But her HE damage has the highest alpha here and her Fire Chance is the best.  HE Pen is very high and not even Sovetsky Soyuz's 60mm deck armor is immune.  She'll stir fry any Tier IX BB.

Scharnhorst 283mm 3x3

2.0 Sigma with the USN / RN BB Dispersion Model

20 seconds reload

3200 HE dmg

71mm HE Pen

20% Fire Chance

Fast firing, accurate.  German BBs actually have an HE Pen Buff from years ago.  She'll HE Pen even Sovetsky Soyuz's 60mm deck armor.  But she has terrible HE alpha damage and has by far the lowest Fire Chances in this selection.

Lyon 340mm 4x4

1.5 Sigma with the terrible FR BB Dispersion Model

30 seconds reload

4700 HE dmg

57mm HE Pen

26% Fire Chance

Terrible accuracy, terrible Fire Chances.  HE damage and reload is okay.  HE Pen is sufficient in dealing with the Tier IX IJN BB deck armor but Sovetsky Soyuz 60mm deck is too much.  But Lyon has a massive 16-gun salvo which makes up for a lot of things.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[MHG]
Members
553 posts
6,858 battles

Dunkerque, despite all her flaws, is probably one of my top 3 favourite ships to play in game since I aquired her. Having said that, she does have some glaring faults one must play around. If you can get some luck, especially when shooting, she is fully capable of dealing tremendous damage to any target she gets the chance to hit. Her guns have exceptional pen and velocity for their size, especially for a tier 6. She has poor protection and survivability though, relying on decent maneuverability and speed to defend her. 

This Strassburg is a no fly for me as it stands. I see no reason to buy the identical ship a tier up with a single consumable as a gimmick. If she had more reliable guns on a longer reload so she could be used more as a sniper, I'd consider it. If she had some form of minor ice breaker bow and more range on her secondaries, I'd consider it for pure brawling memes.

I don't see enough of a variation from the ship I currently have to warrant spending the money on her. This is coming from someone with lots of disposable income to spend on ships. I enjoy unique gameplay, I enjoy ships with their gimmicks be they good or bad, I enjoy historical ships with great or terrible backgrounds. I really enjoy the French BB's I've played so far.

In my opinion this ship needs some serious tweaks to make me even consider spending my money on it. 

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,283 posts
19,151 battles
On 10/7/2020 at 4:41 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Dunkeke's shells are great.  It's just she has trouble hitting things.

Artillery Chart confirms Dunkerque & Strasbourg will share the same shells and shell flight characteristics.  Here is how Dunkerque-class 330mm AP measures up to some of the Tier VII 283mm thru 356mm competition.

yle6INn.jpg

Good shell flight characteristics, good Penetration with the AP, the best in this lot.

Yeah nice info here... I would agree and throw in HE and Dunk does damage......when she hits :)   KGV is imho an underrated ship by the masses, seems she gets a lot of bad comments from players in randoms...I try to set them straight....and believe it or not I use AP about 50 % of the time, seems to do quite well also against CAs and broadside BBs... I tend to like the damage that isn't as easily repairable.