You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Systemlord_1

, Georgia, plunging shells at close range?

6 comments in this topic

Members
98 posts
10,722 battles

I'm not understanding what's happening, I was within 1 km of a Minotaur facing his stern initially, he was backing up to turn around and presenting a perfect broadside and aimed at his waterline and my shells drove as if my shells were fired from a paintball gun. I notice sometimes this happens at range as well.

I don't understand why my shells drove in this fashion. 

Edited by Systemlord_1

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
52,536 battles

Were you sailing at him full speed or sailing away? Georgia's speed affects the shells coming and going.

The shells land short if opening distance and land high if closing distance.

If Mino was wide and I was closing angled fast, then I aim in water below waterline a bit depending on distance to adjust. If opening then at waterline or slightly higher as in a kiting situation. Speed, distance, angle, relative position of the target, and target speed are factors.

At close range or point blank, I aim a little high. The US and RN 457s tend to dip down at that range. Usually starts around 6km or less. 

Even with target computer factored in, the RNG dictates the dispersion. But fast ships can influence the dispersion slightly too, and not always in your favor.

Try testing in the training room by sailing to and away at targets. Observe how despite target lock, the shells behave based on closing and opening of relative distance. They will be accurate, but once you understand how your guns behave, you tend to be very nasty with them in the future with just practice. 

You will citadel more.

Also a wee tip. Observe your target's painted waterline on the hull. It's a painted border to denote the ship's waterline at static position.

At sea this line tends to bob up and down exposing the lower part of the ship ever so slightly.

By timing the shell impact to the rise of the ship, you will hit more citadels.

Think hitting below the belt in boxing.

In this case you maximize your chances.

Now a parked Stalingrad might not show this bob initially, but it's there because the sea state makes the ship rise and fall.

Wait at that precise moment and its fatal for the ship.

I first observed this with BBs, but you can get results with any ship.

Even DDs can pen uptiered cruisers if the belt is thinner below that waterline. A DD player would just time the AP and wham. This is great for those post torp hits that didn't sink the ship initially but the ship is low enough in health for the DD to get him with guns.

All ships can do this if they know where the weakness is and just wait for it.

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator, Privateers
3,830 posts
20,944 battles
1 hour ago, Systemlord_1 said:

understand

in the WoWs where you install the game, look for replay folder, open it

look and open the folder .9.1, and post the replay file here

Members
98 posts
10,722 battles
9 hours ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

in the WoWs where you install the game, look for replay folder, open it

look and open the folder .9.1, and post the replay file here

It's not as easy as you make it out to be, I've given up trying to play the replays because windows option for opening it are Windows Media Player, that's the only option available. I have the Steam version of WOW's.

Edited by Systemlord_1

Members
1,002 posts
4,096 battles

So what would be considered the sweet spot for Georgia's dispersion? 10kms? Just had an Iowa at 12.9, full broadside & only 2 shells hit.

Members
98 posts
10,722 battles
On 10/14/2020 at 12:06 PM, DeathLord1969 said:

So what would be considered the sweet spot for Georgia's dispersion? 10kms? Just had an Iowa at 12.9, full broadside & only 2 shells hit.

Up to 15km, sometimes you will get trolled by dispersion which happened to me up close.

Edited by Systemlord_1