Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

ST 0.9.10, changes to test ships

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

526
[CMFRT]
Modder
984 posts
2,391 battles

I like the buffs to Plymouth. I desperately want an RNCL trainer that plays like the rest of the tech tree line... so I really hope this ship isnt for steel.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,322
[SPTR]
Members
27,218 posts
17,189 battles

Every little bit of buff to Vermont helps or at least makes her a bit more manageable. 

Fact: the difference between Vermont and Gearing in terms of engine horsepower is only 5k horses.

Its like having a lawnmower's engine in a semi-trailer truck.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
831
[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles

I'm not sure what kind of feedback your expecting here, "based on testing results" is kind of vague but..

I like that that Vermont and Plymouth were buffed as they seemed like they needed it.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the Hizen HP nerf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,754
[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
1,288 posts
19,931 battles

Italian battleships will be dead on arrival. Inaccurate SAP that is designed to land only 1-2 shells at the most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,045
[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
5,664 posts
4,488 battles
12 minutes ago, jchk0918 said:

Any updates on Kitakami?:cap_popcorn:

Hopefully coming soon and not for Steel!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,177
[ARGSY]
Members
22,308 posts
16,251 battles

Weren't Oklahoma's shells already the worst at tier? Is a further nerf really justified?

2 hours ago, Rolkatsuki said:

Fact: the difference between Vermont and Gearing in terms of engine horsepower is only 5k horses.

Its like having a lawnmower's engine in a semi-trailer truck.

Hydrodynamics doesn't work quite the same way. It's the last few knots that want most of the power.

2 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

I like the buffs to Plymouth. I desperately want an RNCL trainer that plays like the rest of the tech tree line... so I really hope this ship isnt for steel.

Amen. Coal would be nice - this ship doesn't seem particularly OP even with smoke and radar (lack of HE and short radar range/duration will keep that in check) - but if it's Research Bureau there will be difficult choices to make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,649
[KWF]
Members
5,220 posts
6,659 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Weren't Oklahoma's shells already the worst at tier? Is a further nerf really justified?

I follow Oklahoma  tweaks as she seems to be the new whipping boy of WG balance.  Her AP penetration was indeed the lowest. Then it was buffed, but the Rof was nerfed. Which bring us to the new round of changes. 

You know something is going on when ships like New York and Texas, themselves being semi-decent seem to outperform Oklahoma on almost everything except turret layout.

Another reward ship to join the ranks of Genova, Siroco, Mikoyan as just a vehicle to do time limited events easier.

Edited by warheart1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
610
[GRAVE]
Members
1,409 posts
19,864 battles

OK: WG’s NA HQ is in Texas, so that is the only reason I can explain this, although finally her accurate secondaries get range to them

Vermont: further proof the only good ship of the new branch is the T10

Plymouth: Yeah, that was needed

Hizen: still trying to shoehorn T10 firepower at T9, huh?

ITL BBs: still need to see testing to see if those changes were needed or not.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
146
[CS7]
Members
268 posts
4,575 battles
2 hours ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

I just realized thatt buff to Oklahoma's secondaries could almost make them repectable, if only she had access to slot 4...

She does have access to Secondary Battery Modification 1 in Slot 3 at T5.  By my calculations with the flag and AFT, her secondary battery now has a range of 8.3 km.  Not bad for tier 5, and probably the best option for this ship given her armor profile and main battery limitations.  This an especially attractive option if you already have a high skill captain for MA/GA/OH you can plug into her.

Still hoping for something more from her main battery, though: perhaps another deg/s for her turrets (or whatever it takes so you can't outturn them).  Also, given her respectable range for the tier, a fighter would be a nice option for her catapult aircraft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,704
[SIM]
Members
5,587 posts
9,012 battles

An Oklahoma nerf? :cap_book: Seems like someone got into their Halloween candy too early this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,043
[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,112 posts
11,050 battles
29 minutes ago, Maddau said:

She does have access to Secondary Battery Modification 1 in Slot 3 at T5.  By my calculations with the flag and AFT, her secondary battery now has a range of 8.3 km.  Not bad for tier 5, and probably the best option for this ship given her armor profile and main battery limitations.  This an especially attractive option if you already have a high skill captain for MA/GA/OH you can plug into her.

Still hoping for something more from her main battery, though: perhaps another deg/s for her turrets (or whatever it takes so you can't outturn them).  Also, given her respectable range for the tier, a fighter would be a nice option for her catapult aircraft.

I realized it after I posted about slot 3 and 4, which I had backwards in my head (Very crazy week). Oklahoma is going to have better secondaries than Prince Eitel Friederich, and that is just crazy! I have farmed a lot of secondary damage in that boat, so yeah, it looks like Oklahoma and Massachusetts are going to be sharing a captain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
311
[CAAT]
Members
556 posts
4,417 battles
47 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Oklahoma is going to have better secondaries than Prince Eitel Friederich, and that is just crazy! I have farmed a lot of secondary damage in that boat, so yeah, it looks like Oklahoma and Massachusetts are going to be sharing a captain.

See, this secondaries buff to Oklahoma is definitely fine, although I don't know if that justifies its 40s main battery reload still. HOWEVER, I would rather they save the "super-secondaries" treatment for Nevada '42 refit (or maybe they will still give Nevada this treatment, but at a tier higher in Tier 6...that would be amazing <3), but either way, Oklahoma needed SOMETHING to compensate for that terrible main battery reload, so I'm happy it's the secondaries! That said, not too sure about the penetration nerf though....I don't think Oklahoma needs LESS penetration...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
146
[CS7]
Members
268 posts
4,575 battles
8 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/85

Please leave feedback below

Mahalo,

-Hapa

@Hapa_Fodder, please inquire about OK getting a fighter as an option to the spotting plane.  Honestly, her stock range is just fine for the tier and her muzzle velocity.  Her AA, though, while having decent range, could use a little help (e.g. fighter).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
627
[SVF]
Members
1,781 posts
2,335 battles

*sighs*

 

Oklahoma's secondaries aren't nearly good enough, given the guns used, to continue to beat the main battery into glue.  The previous AP pen buff was a small step in the right direction, but given WG's haphazard and arbitrary balans practices I'm fearing the nerf was using a sledgehammer (again) rather than more modest finetuning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
146
[CS7]
Members
268 posts
4,575 battles
5 minutes ago, landcollector said:

*sighs*

 

Oklahoma's secondaries aren't nearly good enough, given the guns used, to continue to beat the main battery into glue.  The previous AP pen buff was a small step in the right direction, but given WG's haphazard and arbitrary balans practices I'm fearing the nerf was using a sledgehammer (again) rather than more modest finetuning.

Didn't they just go back to using New York's stock shells?  He secondary battery barrels look very similar to MA's.  5" shells.  Can always increase pen with IFHE if you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
627
[SVF]
Members
1,781 posts
2,335 battles
1 hour ago, Maddau said:

5" shells.  Can always increase pen with IFHE if you want.

The pen isn't the problem.  The casemated 127mm/51 guns are very slow reloading ones (7s base), and deck mounted 127mm/25 DP guns fire shells that are some of the slowest (if not the slowest) in the game at ~657 m/s muzzle velocity.  Those won't be hitting anything at the above suggested 8.3km.

Edited by landcollector

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,496
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,427 posts
12,338 battles

Vermont -"speed lost due to steering was reduced"

Praise the Lord, shes got some form of speed retention 

Edited by tcbaker777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
627
[SVF]
Members
1,781 posts
2,335 battles
1 hour ago, tcbaker777 said:

Vermont -"speed lost due to steering was reduced"

Praise the Lord, shes got some form of speed retention 

It's good, yes, but on the other hand I notice the blatant omission of such luxury for Kansas and Minnesota.  More of WG's  "give everything to the T10, and give nothing to the tiers preceding it." approach.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
146
[CS7]
Members
268 posts
4,575 battles
18 minutes ago, landcollector said:

The pen isn't the problem.  The casemated 127mm/51 guns are very slow reloading ones (7s base), and deck mounted 127mm/25 DP guns fire shells that are some of the slowest (if not the slowest) in the game at ~657 m/s muzzle velocity.  Those won't be hitting anything at the above suggested 8.3km.

Interesting.  I am assuming you are getting this info from the Wiki.  It seems the Wiki has more info on the secondary battery than was mentioned in the DevBlog:

Secondary Armament:
18x1 127.0 mm, range - 4.5 km.
Maximum HE shell damage – 1,800. Chance to cause fire – 6%. HE initial velocity - 960 m/s

Assuming the Wiki is correct, the velocity of the deck mounted guns is a drawback.  However, right now the Wiki is very incomplete, though, and already the range of the secondaries is out dated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
627
[SVF]
Members
1,781 posts
2,335 battles
1 hour ago, Maddau said:

Interesting.  I am assuming you are getting this info from the Wiki.  It seems the Wiki has more info on the secondary battery than was mentioned in the DevBlog:

Secondary Armament:
18x1 127.0 mm, range - 4.5 km.
Maximum HE shell damage – 1,800. Chance to cause fire – 6%. HE initial velocity - 960 m/s

Assuming the Wiki is correct, the velocity of the deck mounted guns is a drawback.  However, right now the Wiki is very incomplete, though, and already the range of the secondaries is out dated.

I'm referencing a third party datamining site actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
610
[GRAVE]
Members
1,409 posts
19,864 battles
1 hour ago, Maddau said:

Didn't they just go back to using New York's stock shells?  He secondary battery barrels look very similar to MA's.  5" shells.  Can always increase pen with IFHE if you want.

OK uses two different 5in guns on her secondaries

Her casemate secondaries (9 per side) use the 5in guns found on Shenyang and A-hull Nicholas, which have a very fast muzzle velocity (960m/s) but reload slowly at 7secs

she also has DP 5in/25 mounts (4 per side) which reload at a decent 4 seconds, but have a muzzle velocity of only ~650m/s, making them among the slowest and floatiest shells in the game

Is this a major issue? If we’re talking T7 or up, yes. However, this is T5, where 21mm of pen on these things with Massa/Georgia/Ohio/Japanese 140mm accuracy pens far more targets at this tier than T8-10. If the case mate guns reloaded much faster, the secondaries might end up being too good.

Still, just because the secondaries are god tier doesn’t mean the ship is god tier, because the 40sec reload and 60sec turret traverse on the main guns makes her more “T5 Mikasa aquirable for free” than anything else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,189
[DVYJC]
Members
3,661 posts
8,735 battles
10 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

I like the buffs to Plymouth. I desperately want an RNCL trainer that plays like the rest of the tech tree line... so I really hope this ship isnt for steel.

I just want a premium Fiji so I can Narai. Fiji Black seems to be the most likely source. I can hope!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×