You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
weiwaynezhang

Has WG removed any coal ship/captain before?

26 comments in this topic

[NBNG]
Beta Testers
1,573 posts
4,612 battles

Yes they have. What’s your play style? That should determine the ship you should get

[BUOY]
Members
1,133 posts
15,639 battles
14 minutes ago, weiwaynezhang said:

Just start recently,

can't decide what to buy first when I saved enough.

WG has never removed a coal captain before. The only one I could see them removing is Kuznetsov since the other captains either have tough triggers to meet or only give modest bonuses.

WG has removed coal ships before (only T9/10), but so far they've always given 2-3 months warning when removing such ships so it's up to you whether to try and go for a ship.

[ODIN]
Members
224 posts
8,343 battles
21 minutes ago, Jeruk_ said:

Coal ship, yes. The Smolensk.

Captain, no. 

And Jean Bart

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,331 posts
5,811 battles

I'd be looking at Alaska, Georgia and Thunderer as the next most likely coal ships to be removed.  In the past Musashi, Smolensk and Jean Bart have been removed.

• Thanks 1

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,117 posts
4,173 battles
14 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

I'd be looking at Alaska, Georgia and Thunderer as the next most likely coal ships to be removed.  In the past Musashi, Smolensk and Jean Bart have been removed.

Georgia and Thunderer, yes, but isn't Alaska a FXP ship?

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
37 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

I'd be looking at Alaska

I don't see WG throwing away one of their best moneymakers on the NA server.
I wouldn't be surprised at the last two though.

Beta Testers
94 posts
12,745 battles

As for free XP ships, WG did pulled Kronshtadt. The normal reason they have given is the ships have reached a saturation point where weekly games played by an individual ship has been reached. So I agree with Helstrem that Thunderer, Georgia or Alaska is next. For the the last one, Jean Bart, WG did give about 3 months notice.

• Cool 1

[SRBL]
Members
534 posts
13,483 battles

As others mentioned I'd be looking at Thunderer and/or Georgia. Both are fun and have been out for awhile. 

[CHBK]
Members
1,041 posts
3,938 battles
1 hour ago, lloyd1701 said:

WG has never removed a coal captain before. The only one I could see them removing is Kuznetsov since the other captains either have tough triggers to meet or only give modest bonuses.

WG has removed coal ships before (only T9/10), but so far they've always given 2-3 months warning when removing such ships so it's up to you whether to try and go for a ship.

I mean, if you play a German secondary BB, getting 100 secondary hits to trigger the bonus is not difficult at all, get in secondary range of another BB for a little bit and it will proc.

Members
3,669 posts
42,633 battles
1 hour ago, Jeruk_ said:

Coal ship, yes. The Smolensk.

Captain, no. 

Don't get the smollensk. It's almost as unpopular as CVs. Almost.

Let's just say if a DD player had to choose who would live among those two, it would be a tough choice.

BBs would say kill the Smolly, I hope he burn in hell.

It's not for the casual player. But if you can take the abuse, good luck.

Members
3,669 posts
42,633 battles
46 minutes ago, crazycarey said:

As for free XP ships, WG did pulled Kronshtadt. The normal reason they have given is the ships have reached a saturation point where weekly games played by an individual ship has been reached. So I agree with Helstrem that Thunderer, Georgia or Alaska is next. For the the last one, Jean Bart, WG did give about 3 month

1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

er

^^^this

Members
3,669 posts
42,633 battles
47 minutes ago, crazycarey said:

As for free XP ships, WG did pulled Kronshtadt. The normal reason they have given is the ships have reached a saturation point where weekly games played by an individual ship has been reached. So I agree with Helstrem that Thunderer, Georgia or Alaska is next. For the the last one, Jean Bart, WG did give about 3 months notice.

Khron was very good. Better side armor than that mustache wearing Russian cruiser.

[ODIN]
Members
224 posts
8,343 battles
40 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

and the Musashi 

Musashi was sold for FXP, and since OP asked about coal ships, I didn't include it.

[ODIN]
Members
224 posts
8,343 battles
34 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Let's just say if a DD player had to choose who would live among those two, it would be a tough choice.

You can't even get Smolensk anymore, it's been removed from the armory for months.

Members
3,354 posts
17,140 battles
13 minutes ago, SirPent13 said:

Musashi was sold for FXP, and since OP asked about coal ships, I didn't include it.

I bought my Musashi with Coal. It was sold for both. 1.5M FXP and 176k coal

Edited by STINKWEED_

Members
3,669 posts
42,633 battles
16 minutes ago, SirPent13 said:

You can't even get Smolensk anymore, it's been removed from the armory for months.

I hadn't noticed. I could have bought it, but Thunderer was like calling to me for some reason... I hadn't had a feeling like that since.... Ohio.😏

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
49 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I bought my Musashi with Coal. It was sold for both. 1.5M FXP and 176k coal

Musashi was originally for sale of 750k FXP, a cost shared by Missouri.

• Cool 1

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
1 hour ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Smolensk isn't available any more but if it was, I would definitely pick it up just because it is so unique.  The biggest issue I have right now with the coal ships that are available is that none of them are really unique.  Most are just tech tree ships with gimmicks or play very similar to something you can already get in the trees.

That is not to say there any some really good ships there.  Thunderer, Georgia, Salem and even Pommern stand out.  It is just that for all intents and purposes Thunderer is interchangable with Conqueror, Georgia is just an Iowa with gimmicks, Salem is just a Des Moines with different gimmicks and if you really wanted you can get the same brawler and secondaries playstyle out of any Tier 8-10 German tech tree ship.

The most unique ship there is probably Marceau but most think the Kelber is better at the same play styles.

As car as candidates for removal sooner rather than later.  I think Thunderer and Georgia for sure and to be honest, seeing how popular the Pommern is, I think that will have a short life span as well. 

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,505 posts
9,813 battles
3 hours ago, crazycarey said:

As for free XP ships, WG did pulled Kronshtadt.

And Missouri