Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xamdam

"Early Access"

26 comments in this topic

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
146 posts
12,471 battles

Excuse me if my memory is failing. It wouldn't be the first time. Didn't we used to at least have random drops that would give us a chance at having a pop at the new ships? 

I'm trying to figure this one out and all I can come up with is, unless you pay up in real cash, there's no way your going to gain "early access" (to the new, wide-bodied US BBs). That's fine and all, not really that interested but if that's the case, how about changing the title to "Pay To Gain Early Access"?

You know, full transparency and all that jive...

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,179 battles
5 minutes ago, xamdam said:

Didn't we used to at least have random drops that would give us a chance at having a pop at the new ships? 

You have to bear in mind that those drops are for the lines that start at Tier 1 or 2 and go up to Tier 10, and the drops are for Tiers 5 to 8.

This current event, like the Russian Cruiser one earlier this year, starts at Tier 8, so the rules are going to be different. However, this one is substantially more fair than the Russian one, because in the RU cruiser event you might or might not have drawn enough tokens to get the new-release ships, even the Tallinn. However, in THIS event, the Kansas will be given to EVERYBODY who finishes the directives. Even if you never played a US BB in your life, completing the directives will jump you straight to Tier 8 in the "slow-heavy" line. (Note, however, that it will not unlock the ships below that if you haven't already done so.)

The last time they guaranteed us an early-release ship like that was with the Euro destroyers early this year. THAT event only guaranteed us the T5.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
146 posts
12,471 battles

Finish the directives by playing the game or, paying cash? 

• Meh 1

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
146 posts
12,471 battles

FWIW, I own Montana, have enough XP stacked on Colorado to unlock Kansas, assuming it will be split from there so I'm really not that concerned. I just can't see how this is possible to gain "Early Access" without opening my wallet to do so. In which case, I think it's misleading...

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,179 battles
1 minute ago, xamdam said:

Finish the directives by playing the game or, paying cash? 

Finish the directives by playing the game.

There are eight tasks in the final directive. If the first two directives are any guide (and they usually are), you only have to do six to get the Kansas. That means you don't need the Minnesota or the Florida.

• Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
146 posts
12,471 battles

Hmm... I'll read into that a bit more later. 

It's quite obvious though with the Florida already in the Premium Shop and the number of Minnesotas I've already seen in games people are plenty willing to drop big bucks to get that "early access". I just don't remember it being such a cash grab before and, while I'm not surprised, I am a bit disappointed. These aren't exactly low tier ships that anyone with the money on hand can just flat out buy...

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,108 posts
11,012 battles
23 minutes ago, xamdam said:

FWIW, I own Montana, have enough XP stacked on Colorado to unlock Kansas, assuming it will be split from there so I'm really not that concerned. I just can't see how this is possible to gain "Early Access" without opening my wallet to do so. In which case, I think it's misleading...

Kansas is earnable for free just by finishing the fourth directive in the event.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,179 battles
10 minutes ago, xamdam said:

These aren't exactly low tier ships that anyone with the money on hand can just flat out buy...

Of course not, but neither is necessary.

Quite a few people got the Minnesota on the first bundle and decided that 1000 doubloons was worth it to get the ship in port, fully researched, without a long grind. I would have done that if she'd been first in my rotation, but she wasn't, I'm not willing to spend the dubs it would take to go fishing for her, and I don't suggest that anyone else does so either. Florida looks interesting, but not interesting enough for me to put money down for (and I can certainly afford it). There's nothing she does that other ships in my port don't do just as well IMHO. 

Plenty of people have disposable income to spend which, because of current circumstances, they're not always able to spend in the way they'd like. So they spend it here instead. 

1 minute ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Kansas is earnable for free just by finishing the fourth directive in the event.

I've tried to tell him that already, but it seems some people have a bee in their bonnet about Florida or Minnesota being needed. It's as if they haven't noticed that they progressed to Directive 2 without having either. I don't for the life of me know what's going on here. Having ONE of the alternative requirements for ONE task be for premium ships seems to send them into a red rage and cloud their perception of everything else.

Some of it is just misunderstanding for sure, but I'm pretty sure that at least a small part of it is deliberate malice. There are people spreading lies to damage WG and stir up rage against the company.

• Cool 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,108 posts
11,012 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I've tried to tell him that already, but it seems some people have a bee in their bonnet about Florida or Minnesota being needed. It's as if they haven't noticed that they progressed to Directive 2 without having either. I don't for the life of me know what's going on here. Having ONE of the alternative requirements for ONE task be for premium ships seems to send them into a red rage and cloud their perception of everything else.

Some of it is just misunderstanding for sure, but I'm pretty sure that at least a small part of it is deliberate malice. There are people spreading lies to damage WG and stir up rage against the company.

Who wants to be these are the same players going full potato and causing unfun lopsided matches. TBH, I am not sure they aren't doing it intentionally as a form of trolling. In fact, I wonder if some of these players might be some of the old fashioned TKers that WG washed out with the pink and orange penalty system coming back to find a new way to make players miserable.

Edited by Shannon_Lindsey

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,179 battles
16 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

In fact, I wonder if some of these players might be some of the old fashioned TKers that WG washed out with the pink and orange penalty system coming back to find a new way to make players miserable.

In some cases, the post and battle counts argue otherwise. They can't have rerolled and put that many battles on the board since their last banning. One thing is for sure; my Ignore list is not wanting for new members.

Members
3,637 posts
42,218 battles
18 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Who wants to be these are the same players going full potato and causing unfun lopsided matches. TBH, I am not sure they aren't doing it intentionally as a form of trolling. In fact, I wonder if some of these players might be some of the old fashioned TKers that WG washed out with the pink and orange penalty system coming back to find a new way to make players miserable.

I hope the old TK players are not back, because Kitakami is coming soon.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,179 battles
3 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

I hope the old TK players are not back, because Kitakami is coming soon.

I seem to recall WG saying they were well aware of the TK potential and would be taking steps in that direction. It wouldn't be difficult for them to hard-code the Kita's torpedoes so that they reflect all damage instantly back on the launching ship, but we shall have to await further developments to see exactly what they have planned.

I'm actually praying for her to be steel. While that means I would likely never get her, it would also lock the casual trolls out of getting her pretty much permanently. 

• Cool 1

Members
3,637 posts
42,218 battles
42 minutes ago, xamdam said:

Hmm... I'll read into that a bit more later. 

It's quite obvious though with the Florida already in the Premium Shop and the number of Minnesotas I've already seen in games people are plenty willing to drop big bucks to get that "early access". I just don't remember it being such a cash grab before and, while I'm not surprised, I am a bit disappointed. These aren't exactly low tier ships that anyone with the money on hand can just flat out buy...

Some players budgeted for the game normal and just spent the budget accordingly to see what happens.

In my case I didn't have to fish much. About twenty five dollars or so. About as much as Two foot long sandwiches fully loaded.

But many are probably not so fortunate.

Like it was stated before. It's all done without buying premiums. Kansas you will get, just pay attention to the missions. And optimize anything that  stacks.

What you do is up to you. But like I stated before the event dropped. Budget like you normally do and stick with it. Don't exceed.

You have plenty of time to just grind out alone and wait until the end if you want. It's up to you.

Like stated before. Not many do much of anything in the home, since we normally do stuff outside.

But given the circumstances, most of us are actually not spending much for home stuff. So this game and Netflix passes the time. 

It's up to you OP.

Members
3,637 posts
42,218 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I seem to recall WG saying they were well aware of the TK potential and would be taking steps in that direction. It wouldn't be difficult for them to hard-code the Kita's torpedoes so that they reflect all damage instantly back on the launching ship, but we shall have to await further developments to see exactly what they have planned.

I'm actually praying for her to be steel. While that means I would likely never get her, it would also lock the casual trolls out of getting her pretty much permanently. 

Agreed, but it can't hurt to levy a 21 game co-op cool down. This will sting, but serves them right.

I may have done some silly things in a Benham, but Kitakami can be just plain ridiculous and borderline malicious since it can cover half a map.

[BBNS]
Beta Testers
395 posts
6,751 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Of course not, but neither is necessary.

Quite a few people got the Minnesota on the first bundle and decided that 1000 doubloons was worth it to get the ship in port, fully researched, without a long grind. I would have done that if she'd been first in my rotation, but she wasn't, I'm not willing to spend the dubs it would take to go fishing for her, and I don't suggest that anyone else does so either. Florida looks interesting, but not interesting enough for me to put money down for (and I can certainly afford it). There's nothing she does that other ships in my port don't do just as well IMHO. 

Plenty of people have disposable income to spend which, because of current circumstances, they're not always able to spend in the way they'd like. So they spend it here instead. 

I got the the tier 8 British Heavy Crusier because ut was the first bundle in that event a T8 or 9 ship for 1k doubloons is well worth it to me

[PVE]
Members
4,780 posts
21,093 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You have to bear in mind that those drops are for the lines that start at Tier 1 or 2 and go up to Tier 10, and the drops are for Tiers 5 to 8.

This current event, like the Russian Cruiser one earlier this year, starts at Tier 8, so the rules are going to be different. However, this one is substantially more fair than the Russian one, because in the RU cruiser event you might or might not have drawn enough tokens to get the new-release ships, even the Tallinn. However, in THIS event, the Kansas will be given to EVERYBODY who finishes the directives. Even if you never played a US BB in your life, completing the directives will jump you straight to Tier 8 in the "slow-heavy" line. (Note, however, that it will not unlock the ships below that if you haven't already done so.)

The last time they guaranteed us an early-release ship like that was with the Euro destroyers early this year. THAT event only guaranteed us the T5.

Ah, another "here we go again" event.  This one really doesn't even inspire me to play at all, let alone spend anything on the game. This "clone wars" approach lessens the value of the prize: and, I'm speaking for myself here.  To what end do I need a wide, slow cloned American BB?  Why........other to collect; which, I really don't do at all....  Why even have these clones versus new ship lines or the expansion into the Cold War?

Anyway, I'll be away for a few weeks and maybe that will see me through to the Xmas test of this game's viability.  Cause, right now, it's at the Fun Meter's "who cares" index and falling fast.

Anyway, I'd rather this game designed and deploy the current USS Wichita than all of what we currently have in the Dev cycle:  at least, we'd have a cure to Radar then and one bad arsed combatant......

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,938 posts
1 hour ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Which for me is basically another port slot and some credits from selling the damn thing. 

• Cool 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,161 posts
19,061 battles

Almost every early access (I think started with RN BBs) has been different to some degree.  Some random drops from daily containers, some from temporary currencies, etc.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,179 battles
49 minutes ago, justdags said:

I got the the tier 8 British Heavy Crusier because ut was the first bundle in that event a T8 or 9 ship for 1k doubloons is well worth it to me

The British cruiser event was a stand-out because you got the permacamos with the ships. Each of those was worth at least 1K dubs already (Albemarle's was worth 3K), so you were value-neutral at worst from the start if you got them in the first bundle.

25 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

To what end do I need a wide, slow cloned American BB?

YOU might not, but others don't feel the same way. For me, the low-mid tier US battleships (not including the Wyoming for some strange reason) were an absolute joy to play; the Colorado was a lot of fun to regrind; the promise of trying out an upward extension of this concept greatly interests me. If it doesn't work out, I've lost nothing; the directives have motivated grinds I was working through anyway; and the challenge of juggling this, Five Epochs (now complete), the Gothic Camo missions, the Anchorage Dockyard and a couple of other things keeps life interesting for me.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,938 posts
6 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Anyway, I'll be away for a few weeks and maybe that will see me through to the Xmas test of this game's viability.  Cause, right now, it's at the Fun Meter's "who cares" index and falling fast.

Yeah, there are looming possible changes that promise to purge the game of its remaining enjoyment.  

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,100 posts
6,069 battles

Buy Florida and use her to grind the objectives...that's what I'm doing. 

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,640 posts
12,045 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

Buy Florida and use her to grind the objectives...that's what I'm doing. 

Do you like the Florida?

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,100 posts
6,069 battles
52 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

Do you like the Florida?

Great boat IMHO.

[CRF]
Members
919 posts
8,687 battles
4 hours ago, justdags said:

Yes - if the ship drops in the first random great.  I think WG would be better served if you could see maybe two of the enxt random bundles - it might entice someone to buy three randoms to get the ship if they saw it was there...

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
146 posts
12,471 battles

Alright, in my own defense, I don't read this forum every day. More and more rarely it seems as the years go by. I wonder why...

I see now that if I continue to grind through the "US Battleships" directives (which I might add get buried in all the other stuff under that string of "Combat Missions") and  that by completing all I will be awarded the Kansas. Fine. I can see room for improvement on that end but that's not what this is about.

But, that happens when? A few days before it actually gets released? Okay. I guess that qualifies as "Early Access"... My bad.

It just seems to me that there were other ways to get these things "early" with random drops and whatever other things popped up that lived up to the "Early Access" motto better in the past. Now it seems they want (cough, to trick...) you to pour out your wallet for loot boxes, crates, containers whatever you want to call them in the Armory if want any realistic "Early Access". 

Business related? Surely, misleading? I think so. Please correct me if I'm wrong but it didn't used to be this way. Did it?

I'm near the end of my game here. I have most of the top tier tech tree ships and no real desire to really grind anything else. I just don't like being fooled, or tricked into clicking on something that might show up on my bank statement (and get me in trouble with the wife...) later. It feels like that's where they're leaning now though.

Edited by xamdam

Sign in to follow this