Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
eMercody_Viveleny

It’s about time Audacious got a buff.

7 comments in this topic

Members
57 posts
3,402 battles

Intro:
             Despite managing pretty good server stats, she really doesn’t feel like she should be, perhaps having a lower amount of players is the reason. As you all know most people immediately put Audacious down as the worst CV in the game, and I can’t help but agree, as disappointed as that makes me. Basically she hasn’t really been touched since release outside of the global nerfs, it’s about time she got some new light.

Now before continuing I should explain her purpose of existence, or at least how I see it, so my suggestions look better. The British CV line specialize in damage over time and trade alpha to achieve it, they also have tankier planes at a slower speed and lower squadron size. I believe these planes should be difficult to kill and have good DoT at the cost of not hitting as hard. In the current form you are playing this line for the fantastic carpet bombers, they are very difficult to be shot down by AA and a good drop from behind can easily do 5 digits with several fires. Perhaps that could be shifted though.

The Issues:
             First up on the chopping block is the rockets. Good lord, these suck. Firstly they do not fly any faster than the other squadrons so scouting is harmed as to be expected in the trait of “slower planes.” The penetration of these rockets aren’t very good at only 28mm, to put that into perspective, cruisers with 30mm armor like the Goliath can eat a large portion of the incoming rockets and butcher the damage. Nothing new there, but the new thing is the reticle change, which is larger than the old one which causes the rockets to shotgun, directly lowering the possible damage you can get out of them. So basically they have a spread made for a large ship but the penetration made for a small ship, what could go wrong? Unfortunately there aren’t enough rockets to stick and broadside light targets take ~25% less damage than before and bow in light targets can be missed entirely. The news doesn’t get any better considering the time to even get to that shotgun accuracy is extremely long with even FDR able to beat it, the flight to the target is more dangerous than a torpedo run, flak is unavoidable and extremely dangerous to these planes.

If any buff is to be done something has to be done about the rocket planes. It should be noted that there isn’t much these rockets can do that a carpet bomber can’t, so something bigger is needed.

The torpedoes aren’t particularly bad for being the worst that carriers have to offer, they let Audacious hit targets she normally couldn’t hit considering the 28mm pen of her rockets and the 41mm pen of her bombs. They also do it in a cool manner by converging, however they are ultra slow and the individual torpedoes aren’t that hard hitting. There is some missing potential here.

The class trait of low alpha high DoTs has caused several issues for the Audacious. In the most simple explanation, there are multiple consumables, skills and modules to counter damage over time. This results in her having a lower impact in the game as most of the damage she does is of a low value. Midway tends to strike a better balance of DoTs and Alpha which makes it more preferred to Audacious.

My Proposals:

1. Rockets are going to be hard to balance due to their quantity, however here is my proposal. Shrink the attacking flight by one, this allows for much more accuracy so theoretically it would do about the same amount of damage as now. Further improving accuracy is to commit to the punish broadside thing by improving the vertical dispersion (kinda like FDR.) Change the flight path to quickly lose altitude at the start of the run before flattening out, and obviously due to the one less plane, reduce the aim time to allow the attack to start closer. This would result in the rocket planes being more difficult to shoot down as they now can avoid flak very well as well as actively dodge it. The smaller strike force would help with plane conservation and allow for a little bit more aggressive play. The rockets become more universal despite not hitting harder.
  2. Bombs have their damage buffed by a moderate at most amount (say 10%) at the cost of losing some fire chance. This is to strike a better balance between alpha and dots.
  3. Now torpedoes are obviously not the focus of the line, but a series of incremental buffs wouldn’t hurt as they lag behind foreign counterparts. 

In conclusion

Throughout her existence, Audacious has been overshadowed and is in the need of some love. Her rockets are in dire need of a change and overall she would benefit more on a less heavy reliance on damage over time as her impact.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,812 posts
15,393 battles

You're quite right, the other T10 carriers could use a nerf.

• Boring 1

Members
3,637 posts
42,218 battles

I think WG should take away rockets. And add more planes to the other two types. Have all CVs at tier 8 drop 4 or more per attack, make the alpha be higher and add heal to dive bombers too.

For each type additional fighter drops, boosts, and heals.

There are plenty of players that do great dropping torps on DDs.

To make up for that, just have all air dropped torps have a minimum of 55 knots base speed.

By eliminating rockets, you give DDs a fighting chance to evade rather than lightning strike them with rockets in the first place.

I never liked rockets and while I can strike any DD with them, it seemed dirty since the attack is instantaneous and no real means for a DD to dodge that split second.

But torps are dropped in the water and arm. This gives any player time to execute an evasive maneuver.

Obviously dive bombers come in flavors, so allow a CV Player to switch in game from AP to HE. And tune the reticle so a wide shotguns and a tight focuses. 

I think that about sums it up.

By the way, I am usually going to use torps on a DD first because that takes some skill. Just like it does to evade.

I only use rockets when someone is irritating my behind. So come close, get rockets, capice?🤺

Anyway, that is my tactical CV analysis and opinion. This is from extensively tormenting DDs with rockets and torpedoes alike.😱 Other data acquired from attacking cruisers and fat botes.😱

Needless to say. I can be a meanie and not say anything about it now, or I can be a nice guy and say it here.👼

Give the little DDs a fighting Chance. Let me make them dance is all I ask💃.🤔😏

[SEAST]
Members
63 posts
10,229 battles

Indeed, Audacious needs some huge buffs. She was the already weakest Tier 10 CV before the reticle change, but the power gap was not that significant, and her unique playstyle was pretty fun so I guess it was ok. However, the recent two nerfs have impacted her way more that they have done to other CVs and now she is just bad, and not fun. 

Her strengths were 1) rockets of large quantity to strike hard on DDs / some light cruisers, and 2) setting up fires and floods. 

The reticle change was supposed to let ships mitigate damage by proper angling, while being punished if showing broadside. This somehow is true for other CVs, but isn't for Audacious. After the change I have been consistently doing less damage even if the target is showing full broadside (I posted this earlier and other people are replying the same), and if the target angles against you, you are only going to tickle him a little. Also, rocket planes were a handy tool to re-ignite a BB after your carpet bombers forced DCP. A lot of the rockets would shatter, but thanks to the numbers hit, chances to cause fire were high. Now not only you have to first fly to its side, and even then your expected hits are lower.

Update 0.9.9 has an undocumented change that disabled "tapping". While this applies to all CVs (except for Indomitable), it has the most impact on Audacious. Speed is essential for fires and floods, I now often find myself unable to re-engage a target before his DCP is ready. 

Your first proposed change sounds reasonable. In fact I am happy with anything that improves the accuracy of the rockets. I don't really agree with the second one tho, because they would change her characteristics, and will further hinder her ability to damage most battleships while causing more pain on others. Instead, her squadron speed should be increased.

Members
57 posts
3,402 battles
3 hours ago, _Thanagor_ said:

Your first proposed change sounds reasonable. In fact I am happy with anything that improves the accuracy of the rockets. I don't really agree with the second one tho, because they would change her characteristics, and will further hinder her ability to damage most battleships while causing more pain on others. Instead, her squadron speed should be increased.

I’ve found Audacious’s planes are fairly quick such as being able to outrun Midway’s destroyers, the main thing that makes them “slow” is that their attack aircraft don’t fly faster than the other squadrons. I feel that the buffs here would be limited as to not outrun the Hakuryu. Perhaps changing the attack plane to a faster one instead would be reasonable to dedicate yourself to relighting that fire. Though I suppose that’s probably the whole point of the legendary mod existing.

The idea behind increasing the bomb damage (while nerfing fire chance) as well as torpedo damage is to nudge it closer towards Midway in balancing out DoT reliance with damage with it being recommended in competitive modes and all. While it is taking notes from Midway, it shouldn’t harm the character of Audacious too much as both carriers love DoTs despite the different deliveries. This would in theory solve the common criticism that she lacks carrying power due to her worse alpha, as well as a torpedo buff to help answer the heavily armored battleships. Essentially solving this criticism requires harder hitting to many targets.

Edited by eMercody_Viveleny
Forgot the legendary mod.

[SEAST]
Members
63 posts
10,229 battles
3 minutes ago, eMercody_Viveleny said:

This would in theory solve the common criticism that she lacks carrying power due to her worse alpha

The thing is, Audacious carpet bombers have very good alpha, but lacks penetration. If you reduce some fire chance but increase some direct damage, Japanese/German/Soviet BBs will become even a greater problem to Audacious, while US/British/French BBs will suffer too much. 

Sign in to follow this