You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
cheekywarship2018

Upgrades that Can be Skipped

28 comments in this topic

[_BDA_]
Members
119 posts
3,523 battles

As I'm you are all aware, upgrades are meant to give a boost in performance be it better range, more hp, etc. However, some upgrades are questionable to say the least and, are in my opinion not worth researching or their cost in credits. The following are some upgrades that I feel can be skipped, please note that this my personal opinion, feel free to agree or disagree. Also, I am aware that the research and purchase costs for some of these upgrades is minimal, however, not everyone has as much time to devote to the game as they would probably like or want, as such, any time shaved off grinding is useful.

New York: Range Upgrade, I feel that this upgrade is unnecessary for the reason that you can take Artillery Plotting Room 1 which boosts the range of your main battery guns by 16%. On New York, this boosts you range from 16.5 km stock to 19km, which is on the higher end of the scale for BBs within her matchmaking spread, though the tradeoff is slower turret traverse as you will not be able to equip Main Battery Modification 2. The Range upgrade on the other hand "only" increases it to 18km and needs to be researched.  

North Carolina: Range Upgrade, Same reason you can skip the Range Upgrade on Kongo.

Kongo: Range Upgrade, This upgrade doesn't really improve the ship much for the reason that Kongo already has plenty of range at 19.3 km stock. The extra range from the Range Upgrade will only be useful on rare occasions since engagements are rarely sustained at that range and you don't have the accuracy to fully make use of that extra range. 

Fuso: Range Upgrade, The same reason as to why you can skip the Range Upgrade on Kongo.

Myoko: Torpedo Upgrade, The benefits that this upgrade provides are very minuscule to the point that they will rarely come into play. (The upgraded torpedoes trade 6 seconds of reload for slightly more damage speed, emphasize on slightly) 

Emerald: Torpedo Upgrade, This is probably going to be controversial and my opinion is tempered by personal bias. This upgrade, unlike others so far, does provide some decent boost to your torpedo power(most notably range), however I'm of the opinion that these torpedoes will so rarely come into use, even with the upgrades that it is not worth researching and equipping them.

Leander: Torpedo Upgrade, Same reason why you can skip the Torpedo Upgrade on Emerald.

Fiji: Torpedo Upgrade, Same reason why you can skip the Torpedo Upgrade on Myoko

Neptune: Torpedo Upgrade, Same reason why you can skip the Torpedo Upgrade on Myoko. 

Those were just a few and I'm sure there are more out there so feel free to point out some that I missed.

Edited by cheekywarship2018
  • Meh 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,159 posts
12,178 battles

Richelieu hull B upgrade involves a serious pondering of what capabilities one wants the ship to have.

The aircraft consumable is removed with the installation of the Hull-B (after is is researched).

[_BDA_]
Members
119 posts
3,523 battles
9 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Richelieu hull B upgrade involves a serious pondering of what capabilities one wants the ship to have.

The aircraft consumable is removed with the installation of the Hull-B (after is is researched).

It does, though I think this one much more straightforward. In my opinion, gaining almost 10k more hp as well as a slight boost to your rudder shift and AA is worth the sacrifice of a Spotting Aircraft/ Fighter. Plus Richelieu already has pretty good range for a tier 8 BB.

Edited by cheekywarship2018

[PVE]
Members
7,284 posts
23,174 battles

Just as a counter example...1 of the Clemson upgrades (forget which 1 & haven't got game up to check) shows no benefit when you toggle it in port...yet doubles your ROF on the guns (think it turns your single barrels into double barrels but may by wrong about that...probably a hull upgrade...maybe???).

Ran it originally (many years ago) & never upgraded it as it showed no benefit & credits were tight then) & didn't actually upgrade it until the 1st snowflake event (credits were WAY flush at that point).

Had always heard how "OP" it was supposed to be & just didn't see it (other than the double racks of torps on each side...which is always a bit OP)...then I did :Smile_facepalm:

Never went back to club w/it since then & only ran it for the flake...but definitely would have been worthy to have on the initial grind.

51 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Mogami's 203mm upgrade is easily skippable, as the stock 155mm's offer a more fun playstyle.

Gotta agree w/this whole heartedly...& it's not like you can't punish a broadside at close quarters w/the AP...took out quite a few T10 cruisers coming around an island at point blank (just a little over 2km so you ain't spotted by assured acquisition) range w/the 155 AP...just gotta split the volley into the 9 fronts 1st & the 6 rears to finish so the 15 rounds at once don't disperse so wide.

Distinctly remember a full life DM taking 7 from the front & 2 from the rear to end his camping ways that battle.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[POP]
Members
4,749 posts
12,813 battles
46 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Mogami's 203mm upgrade is easily skippable, as the stock 155mm's offer a more fun playstyle.

Ah yes, the one of the original upgrades to be skipped. To add to that, the 420s on FdG after the buffs WG gave the 406s. I'd also lean toward avoiding the range upgrades on the German battleships (or at least saving them for last), but that's more of a personal preference since I don't feel the guns are consistent enough to make reliable use of the extra range in most situations. I'd definitely rather have the engine and hull upgrades first.

[_BDA_]
Members
119 posts
3,523 battles
2 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Just as a counter example...1 of the Clemson upgrades (forget which 1 & haven't got game up to check) shows no benefit when you toggle it in port...yet doubles your ROF on the guns.

Ran it originally (many years ago) & never upgraded it as it showed no benefit & credits were right then) & didn't actually upgrade it until the 1st snowflake event (credits were WAY flush at that point).

Had always heard how "OP" it was supposed to be & just didn't see it (other than the double racks of torps on each side...which is always a bit OP)...then I did :Smile_facepalm:

I didn't base my opinions solely on those numbers as those are rather misleading as said with Clemson's Gun Upgrade which literally doubles its firepower yet only gets plus 1 on the firepower rating.  

• Thanks 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,197 posts
10,553 battles
4 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Just as a counter example...1 of the Clemson upgrades (forget which 1 & haven't got game up to check) shows no benefit when you toggle it in port...yet doubles your ROF on the guns.

It doesn’t double the ROF, it doubles the number of barrels, replacing the single mounts with twin mounts.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
7,284 posts
23,174 battles
5 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

It doesn’t double the ROF, it doubles the number of barrels, replacing the single mounts with twin mounts.

TY...I remembered that & edited it in as a possibility but you ninja'd me...:-)

6 minutes ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

I didn't base my opinions solely on those numbers as those are rather misleading as said with Clemson's Gun Upgrade which literally doubles its firepower yet only gets plus 1 on the firepower rating.  

Ah yes...TY too..it was the gun upgrade...

Still kicking myself over never taking that 1...remember now it showed the +1 to gun rating...but either it didn't show the double barrel upgrade or I missed it the 1st time.

But I was just mentioning it as 1 you don't wanna skip despite it seeming to be worthless.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,488 posts
14,823 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

With how IFHE was changed I feel this is more of a To-mate-o To-mot-o kind of choice now. What I wish they would do is to have both in the tree because she spent most of her life with the big guns.

Edited by BrushWolf

[CVA16]
Members
5,878 posts
18,090 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Beat me to it.  Iskipped it (so far ) on mine. The only downside is it requires a unique commander, not compatible with the any other IJN cruisers

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,168 posts
22,715 battles

When I used to captain the Nicholas I never mounted the B hull even though it brought more health and AA. The 127/51's on the A hull were nowhere near as floaty as the 127/38's on the B hull and every US DD thereafter. Much more accurate with those shells. Still 4 guns and the same ROF and traverse.

Members
6,189 posts
7,988 battles
46 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

With how IFHE was changed I feel this is more of a To-mate-o To-mot-o kind of choice now. What I wish they would do is to have both in the tree because she spent most of her life with the big guns.

Premium T7 155mm Mogami please.

Not on a stock Mogami hull.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,159 posts
12,178 battles
2 hours ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

It does, though I think this one much more straightforward. In my opinion, gaining almost 10k more hp as well as a slight boost to your rudder shift and AA is worth the sacrifice of a Spotting Aircraft/ Fighter. Plus Richelieu already has pretty good range for a tier 8 BB.

I'm sure I'll research and install, so I can try both configurations.  Seeing over islands has been useful at times (fighter/spotter), though.

Members
1,108 posts
4,792 battles
2 hours ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

Emerald: Torpedo Upgrade, This is probably going to be controversial and my opinion is tempered by personal bias. This upgrade, unlike others so far, does provide some decent boost to your torpedo power(most notably range), however I'm of the opinion that these torpedoes will so rarely come into use, even with the upgrades that it is not worth researching and equipping them.

Leander: Torpedo Upgrade, Same reason why you can skip the Torpedo Upgrade on Emerald.

Fiji: Torpedo Upgrade, Same reason why you can skip the Torpedo Upgrade on Myoko

Neptune: Torpedo Upgrade, Same reason why you can skip the Torpedo Upgrade on Myoko. 

Emerald gets a range boost.

Leander gets a Range Boost

Fiji is the one you can skip

Neptune might not seem that important, but that damage increase is very important. Trust me on that one

-Shrayes

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,199 posts
12,101 battles

I find most upgrades that don't get me to the next ship skippable, other than some torp upgrades on DD's. I don't really need the range, few ships need the speed and few ships have gun upgrades that you have to have.

2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

15 rounds of auto-pen every 10 seconds vs 10 rounds every 15. I'd argue that it was more Mate vs Mot before the 8+ buff/7- nerf where you only just cleared a threshold to autopen bows, now that it can pen 38 mm 155 mm with higher RoF and overall volume seems far superior.

But that's me.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,488 posts
14,823 battles
59 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

I find most upgrades that don't get me to the next ship skippable, other than some torp upgrades on DD's. I don't really need the range, few ships need the speed and few ships have gun upgrades that you have to have.

15 rounds of auto-pen every 10 seconds vs 10 rounds every 15. I'd argue that it was more Mate vs Mot before the 8+ buff/7- nerf where you only just cleared a threshold to autopen bows, now that it can pen 38 mm 155 mm with higher RoF and overall volume seems far superior.

But that's me.

The 155mm/6" guns are good against cruisers and DD's but with the 203mm/8" guns you can hurt BB's which is why I say it is a to-mat-o to-mate-o situation, YMMV.

[PVE]
Members
7,284 posts
23,174 battles
3 hours ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

Emerald torps...rarely come into use

The RN CL line...w/it's detection & smoke...are mostly interchangeable as DDs...especially the Emerald (& Neptune) w/the double racks on each side that can delete just about any BB in their prospective metas w/just 1 sides worth.

These aren't just DD support vessels...they are DDs...w/a citadel...yes...but w/more tools than any other DD in the game can even dream about.

Same RN AP shells (velocity only variances) as the T10 Mino/already mentioned double torp racks on each side...that can be single fired btw/hydro/looooong lasting smoke/extra HP compared to same tier DDs/& let's not forget the extra ship they can all print w/that juicy RN heal (that's not to mention Neptune's option for radar instead of smoke...but...of course the plane option probably shouldn't be mentioned...because...why?).

Summary...those torps are very viable weapons & that extra range & damage make them extremely more dangerous when all of them can be planted at once...devastatingly so actually...& w/the Emeralds comparative maneuverability being on par w/most T5 DDs (& Neptune's not being too shabby either) they can come into play quite often when run properly (aka quick moving agile ambushers as opposed to island campers which is where they are usually wasted by those not aware of their actual merits).

Members
504 posts
209 battles

Well yes.  Any 'upgrade' that doesn't lead to another upgrade is skippable.  As below, fiji torps don't 'unlock' another module so these can be skipped.  

To get to the next tier, the hull will need to be unlocked.

image.png.65c992939d208eb33cf521c35f373302.png

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,772 posts
5,414 battles

I generally skip the range and bigger gun upgrade unless the original stock guns are truly bad. But still skip the range.

The Shimakaze has all three torp modules ready at any time. Take out deep hiding BB's or knife fight at 8 km or less with really fast torps.

It would be really cool to have all three types loaded in the three launchers at any time and select-able.

I have learned not to shoot at range. All it does it gets you detected faster and you then get focused and deleted. So I hold fire until detected or closer.

Finally some guns become orbital planetary strike weapons with a 5 minute wait until the shells arrive and you have to not only correct for bearing but also for vertical shell fall. I don't have time for all that.

Edited by xHeavy

[ARGSY]
Members
22,372 posts
16,264 battles
10 hours ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

However, some upgrades are questionable to say the least and, are in my opinion not worth researching or their cost in credits.

I certainly don't agree with all your choices (actually most of them), but you laid out your reasons based on experience and I don't feel inclined to argue any points.

Things have become much easier since they streamlined the research pathway and made guns, hulls, torps, engines, etc. independent of each other. e.g. I found Amagi somewhat painful until I'd got the extended range on the fire control, but I had to grind through the entire B hull to get it. Now that roadblock is removed. Likewise, Charles Martel had a rather complicated upgrade path through the second set of guns, but future players will find that one straight-lined also. Ditto Kagero's B torps, the research path from Minsk to Ognevoi, and so on. 

[WOLFG]
Members
31,352 posts
9,649 battles
11 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Plus, if you have Myoko and/or Ibuki, you have pretty much the same ship as a 203mm Mogami.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,352 posts
9,649 battles
6 hours ago, Laser_Beam said:

Well yes.  Any 'upgrade' that doesn't lead to another upgrade is skippable.  As below, fiji torps don't 'unlock' another module so these can be skipped.  

To get to the next tier, the hull will need to be unlocked.

image.png.65c992939d208eb33cf521c35f373302.png

I think his point was more about need from a gameplay standpoint. 

For example, hull upgrades are generally necessary, not because you need it to unlock the next ship, but because the extra HP, and better rudder shift are going to help you, no matter how you play the ship.

Myself, if a BB has 20km or more base range, I don't typically shoot further than that, and there's no point adding another 3km of gun bloom for extra range I won't use. 

[WOLFG]
Members
31,352 posts
9,649 battles

10 hours ago, Khafni said:

When I used to captain the Nicholas I never mounted the B hull even though it brought more health and AA. The 127/51's on the A hull were nowhere near as floaty as the 127/38's on the B hull and every US DD thereafter. Much more accurate with those shells. Still 4 guns and the same ROF and traverse.

I was the same for a bit, then I went to the Mk.38s, simply because I figured I wanted to be somewhat proficient with them before getting Farragut. I did like those guns though.

Luckily, they released the PA DDs, so I can still play with those guns (with a faster hull to boot) on Shenyang.

• Cool 1