You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shrayes_Bhagavatula

Just Another Proposal: HMS Dido

10 comments in this topic

Members
1,108 posts
4,792 battles

Just Another Proposal: HMS Dido 

HMS Dido (37) - Wikipedia

Dido-dee, Dido-dum, Where is my British AA gun?

What it is: HMS Dido, a doy-eee. Dido was the lead ship of her class, designed as British Anti-Aircraft Cruisers before the start of the war, armed with a unique complement of 5.25 inch guns as opposed to the 5 inch guns of other AA cruisers such as the Atlanta. 

What context it has: Seriously? Do I even need to explain this? Heck, both [edited] and WoWS Blitz get the Dido, but not us? What the hell, WeeGee?

For the sake of game balance, HMS Dido will appear at Tier VI as she was in 1944, with all 10 guns and her full Anti-Aircraft retrofit

Armor

• Displacement: 7,600 Tons full load
  • HP Pool: 24,000
  • Plating: 16mm
  • Main Belt Armor: 76mm
  • Deck Armor: 25mm
  • Turret Armor: 21mm
  • Superstructure Armor: 13mm
  • Torpedo Reduction: 0%
  • Access to Repair Party: Yes

The Dido is squishy, as in, has less health than the Huanghe, at just 24000 hitpoints, and that, combined with it’s pathetic 76mm plating, make it super susceptible to cruiser and destroyer AP shells and Battleship HE shells. While it is similar to the Smolensk in the fact that AP shells will overpenetrate due to the way that AP shell fuse timers work, her citadel is exposed on the surface of the ship, much like other Royal Navy cruisers, again, making her extremely vulnerable, especially around her Engine and Magazine spaces. The only saving grace here is access to the Halland’s Repair Party, which is similar to the Royal Navy DD heal but ticks over for a few extra seconds. 

Artillery

Artillery Armament: 5 x 2 QF 5.25 Mk I

• Caliber: 133mm
  • Barrel Length: 50 Calibers
  • Range: 12.2km
  • Reload Speed: 5.45 seconds
  • HE Shell: 1,900 Alpha, 8.0% fire chance, 22mm HE pen. 814 m/s velocity
  • AP Shell:  2,600 Alpha, 55-70* Autobounce, 0.015 second fuse, 814 m/s velocity
  • Sigma: 2.0
  • Dispersion: Cruiser
  • Rotation Rate: 10.00* / second
  • Firing Angles: 300* on all turrets 

Right then, the Dido has firepower issues as well. Her gun caliber is just 133mm, which is paltry compared to the 152mm firepower of the other light cruisers at this tier. This lack of caliber also leads to a multitude of other problems. For starters, her HE shells cannot penetrate the extremities of equal or higher-tier battleships and cruisers without IFHE, and her AP shell penetration is somewhat lacking compared to her tiermates, despite her rather good gun performance of 11 rounds per minute. She also lacks range, with just 12.2km compared to the 13km range of other cruisers. However, Dido has two things to compensate

1. Dido’s captain can take Basic and Advanced Firing Training to boost gun performance; given that her guns are only 133mm in caliber, they fall under the category of BFT and AFT enhancement capacity. With BFT, the reload time drops to 6 seconds, and with AFT, her range increases to 14.7 kilometers, more than enough for Tier VI

2. Dido’s AP shells are improved; While not to the degree of the Leander’s AP shells, they pack a fairly respectable set of improvements that also make them nasty against BB superstructures and upper belts, though it is not enough to strike down lolibotes like Leander or Mysore can.

Additionally, Dido’s gun arcs are quite floaty, and while it is a double edged sword similar to Atlanta’s 5 inch popguns, it allows Dido to farm damage without putting herself in danger, though it limits her ability to fight DDs.

Torpedoes

• Launchers: 2 x 3 Tr Mk IV
  • Caliber: 533mm
  • Torpedo Carried: 533mm Mk IX*
  • Range: 8.01km
  • Speed: 61 knots
  • Damage: 15,867 Alpha
  • Flood Chance: 265%
  • Detectability: 1.3 kilometers
  • Reload: 72 seconds
  • Firing Options: Single / Narrow

To back up her main battery, Dido comes equipped with a suite of torpedoes. However, these are the same triple launchers found on Fiji and the Exeter, not the Leander’s fish. With 8 kilometers of range and decent speed and damage, these are not the short range kill weapons that are carried aboard the Atlanta, but they are good enough for taking on capital ships at shorter ranges or as an area denial tool against hostile cruisers that try to rush her down. A single fire option also allows for surgical precision against larger targets.

AA Defenses

Long Range AA Defenses: 5 x 2 QF 5.25 Mark I

• Range: 5.2km
  • DPS: 52.5
  • Flak: 3+1 @ 1,330 Damage

Mid Range AA Defenses: 3 x 4 40mm Vickers 2-pdr “Pom Pom”

• Range: 3.5km
  • DPS: 54.4

Short Range AA Defenses: 2 x 1, 4 x 2 20mm Oerlikion

• Range: 2.0km
  • DPS: 49.1

Access to Defensive AA Fire: Yes

“AA Cruiser”, right? Well, yes and no. You see, Dido’s main battery guns are dual purpose, but for all intents, they severely lack in the department they were designed to be. On top of that, her overall AA suite is rather uninspiring, and lacks against the likes of Dallas and Budyonny. Oh well, at least she gets access to DFAA. 

Oh ho, but this is the USN DD DFAA, not just regular Defensive AA. This boosts her AA capability up to the likes of the Dallas and Budyonny, though she still lacks range, as she does not wield the Vanguard’s Mk 1* mounts with 6km of AA range. 

Agility

Velocity Characteristics

• Top Speed: 32.3 knots ( 33.9 with Sierra Mike )

• Acceleration: RN Cruiser standard

• Turning Speed: 30.6 knots

Handling Characteristics

• Turning Radius: 690 meters
  • Rudder Shift: 8.1 seconds
  • Rotational Characteristics: 8.4* / second

Dido, being of British pedigree, has exceptional handling. With a relatively tight radius and high acceleration rate, the Dido is a handling champ at Tier VI. The only unfortunate thing is that she almost out-turns her own turrets, though that can be solved by Expert Marksman or the Turret Traverse Module

Stealth

• Surface Detection Radius: 9.8km
  • Aerial Detection Range: 5.7km
  • Smoke Firing Penalty: 4.1km
  • Assured Detection Radius: 2.0km

Again, Dido’s british pedigree shows here with her exceptionally low detection radius of 9.8km, capable of minimizing to 8.9 kilometers with Concealment Expert

Build and Consumables

Consumables

• Damage Control Party: Standard Cruiser

• Repair Party: Pan-European DD Heal, 3 charges base

• Hydroacoustic Search: Standard Hydroacoustic Search

• Defensive AA Fire: USN Destroyer Defensive AA Fire

Build

• Slot 1: Magazine Modification 1

• Slot 2: Engine Room Modification 1

• Slot 3: Aiming Systems Modification 1 OR Turret Traverse Modification 1

• Slot 4: Steering Gears Modification 2

Commander

10-pt build

• Priority Target OR Incoming Fire Alert ( Take one, not both )

• Last Stand ( Vulnerable Engine Room ) 

• Superintendent

• Concealment Expert

19-pt build

• Priority Target or Incoming Fire Alert

• Last Stand

• Superintendent

• Concealment Expert

• Adrenaline Rush OR Expert Marksman

• Basic Firing Training OR Demolition Expert ( Take one, not both )

• Advanced Firing Training

( I swear, if you goofs take IFHE, I am going to hurt you )

Standard cruiser build, though I highly recommend taking Last Stand due to the vulnerability of her engine spaces. If Dido wasn’t shackled to LS, It would free up two points and allow her to take something like Expert Marksman to boost her rather abysmal gun traverse rate. I just suggest taking the Turret Traverse mod instead

Welp, that’s all I’ve got for you fellas today. I hope you enjoy

-Shrayes

PS: @Lert, obligatory mention

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula
censors the name of that other ship game for some reason, smh
  • Cool 1

Members
1,011 posts
1,399 battles

It is a British CL. You can forget everything you said about HE shells. She will still have a chance of setting fires, due to her secondary battery of ONE 102mm DP gun that you forgot to mention. :cap_hmm:

Members
1,108 posts
4,792 battles
6 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

It is a British CL. You can forget everything you said about HE shells. She will still have a chance of setting fires, due to her secondary battery of ONE 102mm DP gun that you forgot to mention. :cap_hmm:

The 102mm gun was a heavy caliber AA gun that was removed in her 1941-43 Refit, where it was replaced by the ( by that time ready ) fifth Twin 133mm gun. Also, she gets HE, not just AP shells

-Shrayes

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula

Members
1,011 posts
1,399 battles
4 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Also, she gets HE, not just AP shells

None of the other CL's save Hawkins & Belfast have them, besides I was imagining the reactions of HE spammers getting this & then realizing that nowhere in the description did it say HE.

Members
1,108 posts
4,792 battles
5 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

None of the other CL's save Hawkins & Belfast have them, besides I was imagining the reactions of HE spammers getting this & then realizing that nowhere in the description did it say HE.

Oh, so that's what it was...also, since when is Hawkins a CL?

-Shrayes

Members
1,011 posts
1,399 battles
2 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

also, since when is Hawkins a CL?

It could also be C, or PC, not quite sure what the abbreviation for protected cruiser is.

Members
1,108 posts
4,792 battles
Just now, black_hull4 said:

It could also be C, or PC, not quite sure what the abbreviation for protected cruiser is.

ACR, I think

-Shrayes

[SALVO]
Members
25,826 posts
28,174 battles
Just now, black_hull4 said:

black_hull4, the concept of the "protected cruiser" pre-dates the creation of the system of codes for different ship types, i.e. BB, C, CL, CA, DD, and so on.

Members
1,011 posts
1,399 battles
1 minute ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

ACR, I think

-Shrayes

Nah, that was the USN's designation for armoured cruiser. And the Hellenic navy used CA since they didn't have modern heavy cruisers, so confusing.

Just now, Crucis said:

black_hull4, the concept of the "protected cruiser" pre-dates the creation of the system of codes for different ship types, i.e. BB, C, CL, CA, DD, and so on.

Which makes it more confusing.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,816 posts
15,410 battles

Ah Dido, I would love to see her. I did a write up myself, more background than stats oriented some time ago. I'd love to show it here:

But WG have decided to arbitrarily archive some posts at 6 months old, I did that a couple of years ago and I've been here for 5 years so obviously I think that system is super brilliant... They'll lock your threads before they add the ships but whatever.

I wouldn't really call the Dido an anti-aircraft cruiser. At least Friedman doesn't. The gun is all about killing enemy destroyers with DP as a very nice secondary function. The shell is really too heavy for AA but designed to do more in one hit with an 80lb shell than a 50lb typical ~5in projectile. It does overall make quite a lot of sense, an 800lb anti-surface broadside is more than an Arethusa (672lb) and a bit less than a Leander (896lb) and the anti-aircraft broadside is in theory 800lb vs. 124lb for a typical British cruiser (2x2 4in/45 per side). All that on a ship of 5,450t. Not bad in concept, the execution let them down.

I think your implementation is probably ok, I don't desperately like the strong AA focus and I might at least improve the concealment a little bit. HE vs. AP is an interesting one. She's not a bad little fire starter if you don't bother with IFHE, 110 rounds a minute at 8% fire chance. For T6 that is quite spicy. It's nice not to be IFHE dependent given that skill has no real place on any RN captains. The AP probably has the pen and if given better angles and fuse arming time could pose a good anti-destroyer threat, while saving the BB's from 8.8 fires/min - which is more than Budyonny or Dallas, at the cost of pen damage.

You can put the available information for Dido's guns into a ballistics calculator. From the gun being a secondary we know the MV is 792m/s (not quite sure where you're getting 814m/s from) the shell mass is 36.3kg, the drag is 0.321, the damage and fire chance as you say are 1,900 for HE and 8%.

If you plug MV, mass and drag into this calculator you get decent flight times. As we've not seen a krupp value I've stuck with the default 2,300 for the below.

In short ballistically the shells take about 7.3s to 10km, compared to 8.7s for Atlanta, and 6.7s for the RN 6in gun. Armor penetration wise at 10km it looks like about 82mm, much better than the 50mm of Atlanta, but well behind the 117mm of the RN 6in gun. That does give you a better chance of racking up some citadels on low armor cruisers, and also allows you to penetrate some distributed armor at some angles.

https://jcw780.github.io/wows_ballistics/

image.thumb.png.c35dc6f39964756a7af0aad66020bcf1.png

image.thumb.png.f2ae6361f8235fdf7eb60d09c0c92413.png

Anyway, very glad to see Dido get some support - especially as she's in Blitz bUt WeeGee nEeD bLuEPiNtS...

• Cool 2