You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BitCrushed

What typically goes on sale for Black Friday?

38 comments in this topic

[NOVUM]
Members
68 posts
4,899 battles

Is the annual Black Friday sale usually just for stuff in the Premium Shop or do things like coal ships go on sale in the Armory too? 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,589 posts
21,091 battles

For the past two years, it's been Black Friday crates in the Premium Shop, which have a chance to drop "B" versions of existing premium ships, like Tirpitz B. They're painted black, count as a different ship, but are otherwise identical to the non-B versions.

[CRUEL]
Members
504 posts
8,542 battles
10 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

For the past two years, it's been Black Friday crates in the Premium Shop, which have a chance to drop "B" versions of existing premium ships, like Tirpitz B. They're painted black, count as a different ship, but are otherwise identical to the non-B versions.

They are also discounted pretty nicely. I picked up an asashio b 2 years ago for about 20-25 bucks if I remember correctly. I think it's like 30% off. Also last year they had special 11pt b commanders too. You can grab them for doubloons in the armory or for cash in the prem shop. But they dont just do a wholesale discount on ships.

Members
4,358 posts
4,615 battles

First year was just black friday crates for reskinned version of premiums. 

Second year they introduce some extra goodies you can buy in the armory such a patches, captains and flags. My avatar and patch are the Graf Zeppelin ones. I use the flag on some of my ships. 

Spoiler

shot-20_10.05_14_23.44-0281.thumb.jpg.79ac2cc98e699de6969f9edfcadbd59a.jpgshot-20_10.05_14_23.32-0726.thumb.jpg.b0276934c64cc05e81db1e3ac03878b7.jpg

Edited by Yoshiblue

[FORM]
Members
1,980 posts
12,653 battles
12 minutes ago, Darmokattenagra said:

They are also discounted pretty nicely. I picked up an asashio b 2 years ago for about 20-25 bucks if I remember correctly. I think it's like 30% off. Also last year they had special 11pt b commanders too. You can grab them for doubloons in the armory or for cash in the prem shop. But they dont just do a wholesale discount on ships.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure 2 years ago you could only get a ship by buying the crates. Am I mistaken?

Members
4,358 posts
4,615 battles
4 minutes ago, TheArc said:

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure 2 years ago you could only get a ship by buying the crates. Am I mistaken?

Last year you were able to just up and buy them yeah. 

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/black-friday-2019/

Edited by Yoshiblue

[FORM]
Members
1,980 posts
12,653 battles
9 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

Last year you were able to just up and buy them yeah. 

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/black-friday-2019/

Yeah, but he said 2 years ago, and that's when I got mine... through a crate, which I think was the only way they were available in 2018

[NOVUM]
Members
68 posts
4,899 battles

Thanks for the replies.

I'm close to having enough coal for a T9 or T10 and was wondering if I should hold off till next month. 

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
1 minute ago, BitCrushed said:

Thanks for the replies.

I'm close to having enough coal for a T9 or T10 and was wondering if I should hold off till next month. 

I'd just say try and use the coupon before it resets, if you havent already.

Members
4,358 posts
4,615 battles
15 minutes ago, TheArc said:

Yeah, but he said 2 years ago, and that's when I got mine... through a crate, which I think was the only way they were available in 2018

Oh, then yeah. BF 2018, you could only get the ships in crates. 

13 minutes ago, BitCrushed said:

Thanks for the replies.

Everything cost doubloons and money the last few years, so maybe hold onto it if you think it will change this year? 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[-KAK-]
Members
608 posts
12,151 battles
21 minutes ago, BitCrushed said:

Thanks for the replies.

The only discount WG has ever given thus far for coal/steel ships has be the biannual coupons. I'm not saying that they won't do a discount (It's actually a pretty decent idea), but there's no precedent for it at the moment.

[NOVUM]
Members
68 posts
4,899 battles
4 hours ago, Akeno017 said:

I'd just say try and use the coupon before it resets, if you havent already.

Coupon is good till December 19th so no problem.

Edited by BitCrushed

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,894 posts
25,145 battles

The -B ships tend to be pretty decent ones.  Scharnhorst, Atago, Massachusetts, ALASKA.  Wonder what the next -B ships will be.

[CRUEL]
Members
504 posts
8,542 battles
3 hours ago, TheArc said:

Yea I remember because I decided I would just get it. I know it was only for like 3 or 4 days. There was a countdown. It was the first premium I ever bought outright.

[CRUEL]
Members
504 posts
8,542 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The -B ships tend to be pretty decent ones.  Scharnhorst, Atago, Massachusetts, ALASKA.  Wonder what the next -B ships will be.

I wish it would be the Jean bart b but I know that's dreaming. My bet is georgia or agir, maybe bagatration and orkan? Would be fun if someone started a betting pool :Smile_coin:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,894 posts
25,145 battles
21 minutes ago, Darmokattenagra said:

I wish it would be the Jean bart b but I know that's dreaming. My bet is georgia or agir, maybe bagatration and orkan? Would be fun if someone started a betting pool :Smile_coin:

That's some hefty dreaming imagining JB-B coming :Smile_trollface:

Georgia-B would be a safe bet for a Battleship.  It'd sell pretty good, I bet.

For Cruiser, my bet is Mainz-B.

For Destroyer, I'd go with something odd:  Le Terrible-B.

[TIMT]
Members
1,145 posts

Imagine the flood of money should they release Smolensk B and Jean Bart B. I mean, I really don't like pouring more money into WG, but then again...

Georgia B might be an option. Also I think there were more B options for straight up buying compared to what you could get in the boxes last year, so that might be something to consider.

[DENY]
Members
641 posts
9,912 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I want a Minotaur B, so I can have radar and smoke mino.

[YARRR]
[YARRR]
Members
259 posts
5,518 battles

JB-B, Smolensk-B, Musashi-B, Missouri-B. I bet they could price the crates at $50 and they'd still sell.

[ARRSE]
Members
213 posts
1,405 battles
5 hours ago, Xanthro said:

I want a Minotaur B, so I can have radar and smoke mino.

It would make a lot of sense (and $$$ for WG) if they allowed players to buy two or three copies of tech tree ships. That would be an an excellent way to have different ship/capt builds.

[CO-OP]
Members
1,862 posts
26,718 battles

The only thing I've really looked out for was premium time, got enough just now to see out my interest in this game I think (over 600 days), the B ships are really not much of a carrot for me. 

[CO-OP]
Members
1,862 posts
26,718 battles

Ignore this, wrong thread.

Edited by Efros

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
1,290 posts
19,971 battles

It will be 4-6 ships with black paint, using aloot box mechanic. Odds are not bad usually, but Christmas is soon afterwards and offers a better value for your money.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,474 posts
16,322 battles
39 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

using aloot box mechanic

No, I'm pretty sure they'll also sell them outright. Certainly last year's new-release ships went out for money as well as in boxes.

I didn't buy any of last year's because I already had Sims and Scharn, didn't want Alaska (also, too much money for a ship I could easily get with FXP), and didn't see the need for Graf Zep.  I did, however, succumb to curiosity and buy the Asashio B at a substantial discount. Considering picking up the Atago B this year if the price is right, unless they offer something else I badly want (Kaga B please, WG?).

Members
4,358 posts
4,615 battles

For this year my money is on,

• Azuma B
  • Cossack B
  • Gascogne B
  • Kaga B

Because the trend from the last two years were one of each class, two popular ships and two unpopular ships. 

Edited by Yoshiblue