You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Barleywine

macOS Players tossed aside

61 comments in this topic

[BUSHI]
[BUSHI]
Members
65 posts
9,493 battles

Well, wargaming decided to cast all of their macOS players into the ditch.  This weekend they gave us notice that 0.9.9 would be the last patch we could play.  A whole 3 weeks.  After 8800+ games the screen will go dark on my 200+ ships, bunch of lvl19 captains, and all the resources accumulated over 5 years.  I've enjoyed the game immensely and am disappointed that wargaming doesn't think the mac community is worth their time.

Enjoy the game folks, its been a please,

Barleywine

• Cool 1
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 4

[BUSHI]
[BUSHI]
Members
65 posts
9,493 battles
1 minute ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

You'll be fine. All you have to do is transfer your account to a new device, and you'll be good to go.

-Shrayes

Need the new device.  :-)  Home infrastructure is macOS based and can't really justify spending the $$ just to play a game.

[RGPLT]
Members
669 posts
17,755 battles

Your cast aside, as you should be, because Macintosh computers are NOT FOR GAMING AND HAVEN'T BEEN SINCE THE FIRST ONE WAS MADE. I don't get why its so hard for people to understand this. Mac's are for art and text documents and general internet use.

If you want to play pc games you get the tool that is made for pc games. That is a windows based computer system. Nothing else is supported because no other system has the install base like windows does.

WG and all other pc game companies have to dump all non-windows based computer systems to focus on making the best game possible instead of wasting time trying to get the game to work on MacOS and Unix etc.

• Cool 8
  • Boring 2

[KERMT]
Members
1,067 posts
14,456 battles
11 minutes ago, Barleywine said:

Well, wargaming decided to cast all of their macOS players into the ditch.  This weekend they gave us notice that 0.9.9 would be the last patch we could play.  A whole 3 weeks.  After 8800+ games the screen will go dark on my 200+ ships, bunch of lvl19 captains, and all the resources accumulated over 5 years.  I've enjoyed the game immensely and am disappointed that wargaming doesn't think the mac community is worth their time.

Barleywine

Your account will still work on a PC, I am sorry this has happened but you can always buy a PC to continue playing. 

Until then 07 

Legit sorry for your loss. 

Members
4 posts
35 minutes ago, Barleywine said:

Barleywine

Not WG's fault you're too much of a hipster to get a PC.  Macs always have and always will suck for gaming.  The fact that you haven't realized this, or you have realized this and chosen to ignore it, means that it's your own damn fault.

"But muh house runs on macOS!"

You dug your grave, now sleep in it.  Or do the smart thing and get a laptop or a PC that will run WoWs and other games.  Because guess what bud, it's soon going to be fact that 99% of games wont' be running on your [edited] mac.

• Cool 2
  • Haha 3
  • Boring 4

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,564 posts
4,223 battles

Ah yes, tossing away all 6 of you that play on Mac:Smile_facepalm: Yes it sucks that you can't play on your overpriced typewriter anymore, but let's not pretend like any significant portion of the playerbase uses a Mac. And as it's holding back development it's absolutely the right choice. No one I know who has even a passing interest in gaming uses a Mac. I get that some people love them, and they are good at certain things, but gaming isn't one of them and there's no reason WG should hold back the game for a very small subset. The dedicated players to WOWS probably either have a second machine with windows or will get one. And the people who aren't dedicated probably weren't spending that much money anyway. So yeah, I don't think WG is losing much by discontinuing Mac support (which was always sketchy to begin with).

Also, you can partition your drive and run windows on a Mac, and if you're so dedicated to iOS as you say that should be well within your capabilities. So stop being dramatic, if you care so much about playing just put some effort into the other options.

• Cool 3
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,268 posts

I said this in another thread about the same thing.  My old laptop runs a 970m, which is a 7 year old card.  It runs WoWs great.  It's worth about $200-$300.  Computer gaming can cost a lot of money but, picking up something used and cheap, will fix the problem.  WoWs is a very easy game to run.

I don't blame WG.  It takes a lot of development time to make a piece of software run on several operating systems and Mac gamers are a tiny percentage.  It's likely just not worth their time/money anymore.

• Cool 1

[VIGOR]
Members
106 posts
20,757 battles

I have a mac that i use for online banking, purchasing, news etc.. i have a windows that i use only for wows. i also have the money to easily do both of them. wows should never have offered the game to mac users knowing that mac is less than ideal for running the game.

• Haha 1

[GLF]
Members
1,071 posts
17,530 battles
4 minutes ago, Mad_Dog_Magoo said:

mac is less than ideal

First time ever a mac user has ever said this in any context.  lol.  

I should have played with mac though, it would finally have given me the push that i need to quit this game for good :(     

Members
5,506 posts
10,663 battles

Already a couple threads on the subject form when it was announced - before this last weekend and I would suggest using search and checking them out. 

[KMS]
[KMS]
3,679 posts
12,225 battles

Hello Mac users.  I was told as was growing up in a PC world.  Mac = Music/graphic design  PC= Gaming.  Guess I'm the only one that has this Memo?

• Cool 2

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles

Why are you surprised by this?

The entire history of MacOs gaming is one of no support or support being discontinued. Buy chickens, expect eggs.
If you can afford overpriced apple products, I'm sure a PC capable of running WoWS is easy enough.

• Cool 1

Members
3,431 posts
6,908 battles

WOWs require so little hardware resources to run...I suggest you build one little by little as you have a lot of bucks on ships/capts and otherwise.  You don't have to get some PC with raytrace capability on the graphics card.    I would suggest a Older Alienware 15 ot 17 laptop

Heres one:

Alienware m15x i7 2ghz 8gb Ram 240gb SSD Win10 Gaming Laptop PC 15" Ati 5000

Pre-Owned · Alienware
$579.99

Members
35 posts
17,697 battles

I was wondering why they didn't do it much sooner. It would've gave a lot of people a much-needed relief from dealing with all the heating up, crashing and reconfiguring. 🤠

Edited by Richard_Hansen1
  • Cool 1

Members
35 posts
17,697 battles
12 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

WOWs require so little hardware resources to run...I suggest you build one little by little as you have a lot of bucks on ships/capts and otherwise.  You don't have to get some PC with raytrace capability on the graphics card.    I would suggest a Older Alienware 15 ot 17 laptop

Heres one:

Alienware m15x i7 2ghz 8gb Ram 240gb SSD Win10 Gaming Laptop PC 15" Ati 5000

Pre-Owned · Alienware
$579.99

And then get yourself a big old 22 inch monitor her plug her in!

• Cool 1

[BUSHI]
[BUSHI]
Members
65 posts
9,493 battles

So much Mac hate. If they didn’t want to invest in Mac they shouldn’t have done so in the beginning and kept it up for years. My problem is with the timing, not that they are stopping. If I had know 6months ago this was happening I would have stopped putting any money into the game and used up the resources I had. 3 weeks notice is sucks as they probably knew this was happening for months. 

• Boring 2

[A-D-F]
8,268 posts
31 minutes ago, Barleywine said:

So much Mac hate. If they didn’t want to invest in Mac they shouldn’t have done so in the beginning and kept it up for years. My problem is with the timing, not that they are stopping. If I had know 6months ago this was happening I would have stopped putting any money into the game and used up the resources I had. 3 weeks notice is sucks as they probably knew this was happening for months. 

I have never heard of a gaming company dropping an O/S support for a game but announcing it, half a year in advance.  It's a private business and their money to spend.  They can invest in, pick and choose, whatever they want.

We could all wake up tomorrow morning with the servers down and the website simply saying, "It's been fun yall, thanks for the money.  WoWs is closed".

• Thanks 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,451 posts
14,821 battles
3 hours ago, Barleywine said:

Barleywine

They pulled the plug on what little support Mac's had because there are a minuscule number of people using Mac's. You have two choices, Bootcamp to dual boot or pick up a PC that will play the game.

Edited by BrushWolf
  • Thanks 1

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,566 posts

Uses MAC and Complains about Video games working on it in 2020.

Id assume you would be used to this by now... Its nothing new

• Cool 1

[CHBK]
Members
1,041 posts
3,938 battles
3 hours ago, Barleywine said:

Need the new device.  :-)  Home infrastructure is macOS based and can't really justify spending the $$ just to play a game.

"Home infrastructure is macOS based"

That is literally irrelevant.

"really justify spending the $$ just to play a game."

You have 76 premium ships.  I'm sure you got some for free but I am going to go ahead and guess between the ships and other things you've spent more than the cost of a new laptop on this game.

I built my wife a PC for work and her onboard AMD APU can play WoWs fine.  A $300 dollar used laptop could play this game.  Also, like others said, you could just dual boot and don't even have to buy new hardware.

"So much Mac hate."

Well, for me personally, I don't so much hate macs as I hate Apple.  They have shown themselves to be progressively and consistently anti-consumer rights.  i.e. they don't want you to take your mac or iphone to a local repair shop and get it fixed for 50 bucks.  They want you to take it to the genius bar and have some dimwit highschooler tell you its going to cost the cost of a new device to fix so you may as well buy a new device.  They are enforcing this by constantly going after mom and pop repair shops for daring to touch their devices by suing them and through lobbying.  They also do it through creating things like proprietary screws for their cases that no readily available tool can access.

There have been news exposes done on "the genius bar" where either their repair techs literally have no clue what they are doing or its company policy to lie to you to get you to spend more money than you need to.

Edited by Taco_De_Moist
  • Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,341 posts
13,466 battles

WG's mistake is having made the Mac "version" official. It's a hack and never worked well enough to be regarded as a shipping product. Should have just spun off as a fan/side project.

Members
35 posts
17,697 battles
56 minutes ago, Barleywine said:

It's not hate. I have a Mac mini myself and used to play on it. They have beautiful graphics but they just were not made to run video games.

Edited by Richard_Hansen1