You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheArc

Seeking suggestions about grinding the UUs before year end.

16 comments in this topic

[FORM]
Members
1,969 posts
12,622 battles

As I suspect you all know, WG moved UUs to the Research Bureau and if you had a T10 before the start of 2020, they gave us til the end of 2020 to still grind it out by the old method. With that said, I'm seeking suggestions about grinding the UUs before year end. 

First off, tnx to @Kizarvexis for his awesome threads about the UUs (MASTER LINK) - which has a ton of info about this. But even after reading his reviews and remarks I'm still very undecided on any of these ships I have still to grind out as if they're actually worth working towards before the 12/31 deadline.

I have the following T10 ships in various degrees of near completion towards earning the UUs: Gearing, Shimakaze, Moskva, Minotaur, Conqueror, Republique, Yueyang

So, do any of you recommend or use any of the UUs on these ships? Why? I have read all Kizarvexis' thoughts, but I'd love more input before I put in the work... because to me, I'm hard pressed to see the value with any of them. Also... are any particularly useful for CB or ranked?

Tnx.

• Cool 1

Members
92 posts
5,694 battles
1 minute ago, TheArc said:

As I suspect you all know, WG moved UUs to the Research Bureau and if you had a T10 before the start of 2020, they gave us til the end of 2020 to still grind it out by the old method. With that said, I'm seeking suggestions about grinding the UUs before year end. 

First off, tnx to @Kizarvexis for his awesome threads about the UUs (MASTER LINK) - which has a ton of info about this. But even after reading his reviews and remarks I'm still very undecided on any of these ships I have still to grind out as if they're actually worth working towards before the 12/31 deadline.

I have the following T10 ships in various degrees of near completion towards earning the UUs: Gearing, Shimakaze, Moskva, Minotaur, Conqueror, Republique, Yueyang

So, do any of you recommend or use any of the UUs on these ships? Why? I have read all Kizarvexis' thoughts, but I'd love more input before I put in the work... because to me, I'm hard pressed to see the value with any of them. Also... are any particularly useful for CB or ranked?

Tnx.

dose did not matter if you are not being treated to fair play in a session,

• Confused 2

Members
16 posts
3,714 battles
6 minutes ago, TheArc said:

Tnx.

I’d try to knock them all out. They may be Meh right now but WG did say they would change them if needed. Start with the ship you enjoy the most to the least. You have three months so that 2 1/3 a month to do.

[FORM]
Members
1,969 posts
12,622 battles
13 minutes ago, Katakoyzenos said:

Umm... huh?

7 minutes ago, Soviet_CareBear said:

I’d try to knock them all out. They may be Meh right now but WG did say they would change them if needed.

While I am probably one of the top 5% active players I don't think I've got the drive to get them all done. WG already did some tweaks, but that was (and correct me if I'm wrong,) to make sure the player win rates were nearly the same with or without the UU. Since the UU is supposed to just offer a different play style and not be a flat improvement/buff for the ship. Either way, do you have a top 2 or 3 out of my ship list you would recommend as is now?

[_TKS_]
Members
1,268 posts
9,912 battles
4 minutes ago, TheArc said:

Umm... huh?

While I am probably one of the top 5% active players I don't think I've got the drive to get them all done. WG already did some tweaks, but that was (and correct me if I'm wrong,) to make sure the player win rates were nearly the same with or without the UU. Since the UU is supposed to just offer a different play style and not be a flat improvement/buff for the ship. Either way, do you have a top 2 or 3 out of my ship list you would recommend as is now?

Of your list? Not that I can think of. Moskva WAS really good but it got changed recently so I can’t say for certain now. Republique maybe? Honestly with the list you have it’s entirely your call.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,171 posts
22,715 battles
18 minutes ago, TheArc said:

Tnx.

I've finished off Des Moines, Wooster, and Gearing because I like those ships. Working on Shima now and then Grozovoi. Not sure I'll complete either as I really, REALLY, hate the grind. Are they worth it? I think it beats grinding the RB points for them. But I haven't used them, yet...

• Thanks 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,583 posts
21,045 battles

The only UU on that list I consider viable in its current form is Gearing's. Maybe Republique if you want to medium-range brawl with it, but BBs covered in 32mm aren't in a good place right now, and 457s have become way common on far less vulnerable platforms.

The other UUs aren't particularly good; if you grind them, you'd be doing it on a gamble that they might some day get buffed into usefulness, or the meta will somehow change to make those configurations relevant.

As for how to grind UUs... this is going to sound weird, but I recommend Ranked Battles. A lot of ships do better under 8v8 conditions than 12v12, and you can grind out some extra rewards if you happen to hit a win streak. And if you happen to be playing in the low ranks, the enemy players will be easier (on average) than in Randoms too. No real down side to doing it. Might need to turn on your salt filter though. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

[FORM]
Members
1,969 posts
12,622 battles
1 minute ago, Edgecase said:

As for how to grind UUs... this is going to sound weird, but I recommend Ranked Battles.

I don't think that's a weird suggestion at all. Now that I hit rank 10 (and got the 10% flag,) that was a very likely approach to it - depending on what ship(s) folks recommended. 

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,171 posts
22,715 battles

I'm grinding mine in Ranked almost exclusively. Flags and cammos are flying!

[F4E]
Members
261 posts
5,969 battles

I don't think any of the ships listed are really meta for Clan Battles.

I hear good things about the Moskva UU, and for me personally I LOVE the Conq's UU.

I know the Conq's UU takes away the concealment module, but typically I'm engaging around the 15km+ range.  It makes the rudder shifting really responsive, good for dodging incoming fire, torps etc.  It almost feels like driving a cruiser, with a really big punch and a super heal.  Besides the Des Moines, probably the most enjoyable UU I have.

• Thanks 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,843 posts
28,192 battles
58 minutes ago, Katakoyzenos said:

I think that you're responding in the wrong thread.  This isn't the "fair play" thread.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,410 posts
16,285 battles
37 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

The only UU on that list I consider viable in its current form is Gearing's.

If I read correctly, the Minotaur UU has been changed to basically give the ship crawling smoke a la the Commonwealth ships (except Vampire). However, IIRC it also occupies Slot 5, and concealment is life for the Minotaur; if you're considering running radar at any point, it becomes counterproductive and then you must either destroy it (once sold it cannot be recovered, although maybe the RB changes that?) or use doubloons to unmount it.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,184 posts
26,825 battles
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

Not sure I'll complete either as I really, REALLY, hate the grind. Are they worth it? I think it beats grinding the RB points for them. But I haven't used them, yet...

Pretty much this.

1 hour ago, TheArc said:

I don't think that's a weird suggestion at all. Now that I hit rank 10 (and got the 10% flag,) that was a very likely approach to it - depending on what ship(s) folks recommended. 

Ranked ceased being worth anything but the season flag long ago.

I don’t mind a grind, but beating my head against a wall isn’t something I find enjoyable.

1 hour ago, Khafni said:

I'm grinding mine in Ranked almost exclusively. Flags and cammos are flying!

Masochist.

• Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[GGWP]
Members
85 posts
3,832 battles

Gearing's is essential if you want to use it in competitive clan play. Mino's is good for memes. Shima's is also good for comp, and I know some O7 players use it in randoms, but it's a personal choice. YY's is good to have, and you can experiment with different builds with it. I know @Destroyer_KuroshioKai recently posted a video using YY's leg mod with smoke and he did well above 200k iirc. The others I can't speak to; idk what they are or what they do.

Edited by TadpoleFishTaco
  • Cool 1

Members
16 posts
3,714 battles
1 hour ago, TheArc said:

Umm... huh?

Moskva, Gearing, Conq, and Shima are all decent. 

I personally run Shima’s but it is very niche for most players.

• Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
20,111 posts
12,952 battles
12 hours ago, TheArc said:

Tnx.

The UUs I posted are now out of date. I'm not updating them as that is WGs job. Good luck.