Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

What are we gonna do about the Wiki?

18 comments in this topic

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,335 posts

It gets updated all the time.  What is two years out of date?

• Cool 3

[TIMT]
Members
1,140 posts

I noticed also that a few of the ingame tech tree descriptions are off. But yeah, it might be time for a more coordinated effort to update all of that to reflect the latest changes. Having said that, with the current policy of small incremental nerfs/buffs (which I agree with) keeping track of all of the changes might be difficult though.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,222 posts
4,766 battles
10 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

It's about two years out of date now.

:Smile_sad:

What are you [edited] about, Blasto?

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,091 posts
7,983 battles

Ohay~

The wiki is a community program first and foremost. Almost every player can edit ship pages, and if one can't, it's because they either haven't played more than 100 games or because they misbehaved and got locked out. So if you see a ship page not reflecting a recent change, you are more than welcome to change it.

Keeping older ship pages perfectly up to date is not really possible unless there are editors that spent several hours to do the research and do these edits. But saying that the wiki is several years behind is not really fair either, some corners are (like the AA values, but those are WG's responsibilities and we editors have no real means to change them), but ship mechanics pages for example should be up to date.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,823 posts
15,416 battles

The wiki simply is what it is.

The ship entries are too WG-led to be deeply useful for stats etc. and the fact that WG CBA on the server side to update AA values is pretty emblematic. Wowsft and GM3D are very much more useful for stats and figures. Peons like us can't be trusted with complex numbers.

The most useful parts of it are really the concise lists of consumables and captain skills. 

I'd complain but I've been thinking about rewriting parts of the armor mechanics for instance. 

[PVE]
Members
10,755 posts
18,502 battles
40 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

:Smile_sad:

Well, you did use a period at the end of your sentence, maybe you could become a WIKI Editor and fix it.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,348 posts
26,854 battles

You do know that with every patch there are some subtle changes.  There are over 400 ships that would need to be updated every 4 weeks, plus adjusting the entries for specific items that are affected by each patch.  That is a lot of work for a bunch of volunteers.  

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,342 battles
1 hour ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Well, go ask WG for a job and then GET BUSY!!

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,222 posts
4,766 battles
1 hour ago, mofton said:

I'd complain but I've been thinking about rewriting parts of the armor mechanics for instance. 

Yeah, me too.  But it's a huge job. IMO it could most do with re-structuring.  If you have ideas/outline, I'd like to see them.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
196 posts
9,743 battles

Well, "we" does include everybody, so even if its just 1 or 2 lines of edits at a time every bit helps.  

If you're on it looking something up and you find something you know to be erroneous or just out of date, editing individual items is much easier than the full articles, etc :). 

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
1,289 posts
19,959 battles

Afaik they don't pay anyone to maintain the wiki it's volunteers?

Edited by Cit_the_bed

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,222 posts
4,766 battles
17 minutes ago, ToxicSymphony said:

Well, "we" does include everybody, so even if its just 1 or 2 lines of edits at a time every bit helps.  

If you're on it looking something up and you find something you know to be erroneous or just out of date, editing individual items is much easier than the full articles, etc :). 

Ship pages can be pretty daunting.  If you don't feel up to doing the edit yourself, point out the issue on the associated Discussion page.

15 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

Afaik they don't pay anyone to maintain the wiki it's volunteers?

Yep.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,823 posts
15,416 battles
3 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Yeah, me too.  But it's a huge job. IMO it could most do with re-structuring.  If you have ideas/outline, I'd like to see them.

I think some flow charts would be nicer, I'd also get rid of a lot of the extraneous information - the pic of Iron Duke and the concept of Immunity zone. It needs to either be gameplay mechanics or history, not both.

I'd like to go through a flow for AP - hit, overmatch check, angle check, fuse arm check, shell travel, did it land in a turret y/n, explosion, saturation.

[PVE]
Members
7,325 posts
23,193 battles

Gotta love the "we" in the title...as if it implies he's willing to jump in & help as opposed to look for a group of other like minded entitled individual "we"s (aka :Smile_trollface:s) to demand changes to it & just make a bunch of whine threads about it until it gets done.

(BTW...you forgot to threaten to not spend any money if you don't get your way).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this