You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

How come no one ever talks about the ...

26 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

Republique!

About three months ago I finally jumped into the French line and now have two great BBs, the Richelieu and Alsace along with the Algerie and Aigle.  At this point, I'm working my way to the Republique and have noticed that it's hardly ever praised or even mentioned.

Is it a Mehbote?

:fish_nerv:

• Boring 1

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
679 posts
9,831 battles

a while back the Richelieu  was recognized as the king of tier 8 bb, taking over from North Carolina, im sure now the Jean Bart beats her but she is still a good ship

• Meh 1

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles

I got her very quickly after release ( release Alsace was just such a fun ship to play)
Had some good games in her with very nice damage numbers, but afterawhile I just sorta forgot about her.
I'd wager others have similiar fews, shes just kinda forgettable.

Only started picking her up again because I might as well grind her legendary module while I have the chance to.

[PISD]
Members
1,658 posts
5,828 battles

No, but yes.

French BB are flankers, and the CV heavy meta make it harder to do successfully. Also, the number of HE spammer increased and French BB are especially fragile to that. Lastly, they tier 8-9 got hit hard with the IFHE rework, making their secondaries almost irrelevant.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
11,915 posts
19,462 battles

More like its a high tier BB... Out of all the tier X BBs, other then being

• over capable,
  • agile then cruisers
  • over achieving ordnance
  • less dependent on cruisers, having cruiser consumables,

Some can come to the conclusion, all tier X BBs are meh.. Not just the Republique.

• Boring 1

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

I look at the Repub with its two turrets and instantly get sleepy. If you don't want to limit yourself to just four barrels you have to show your side. No thank you.

:Smile_hiding:

[WPORT]
Members
7,089 posts
12,076 battles
12 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

a while back the Richelieu  was recognized as the king of tier 8 bb, taking over from North Carolina, im sure now the Jean Bart beats her but she is still a good ship

I recently welcomed the Richelieu and have had the Jean Bart for a while.
Jean Bart has more consumables, so her capabilities are better in the game, and that's why she's at Tier-9.
In real life, they were sisters of the same ship class (if I recall correctly).
I was reading about their interesting and challenging careers, the other night.  

I like both of them.

Though.... they each have some residual feelings regarding some of the other ships that are in my port ... :cap_yes:

But, I'm sure it can all be worked out and we can all move forward in togetherness.  :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,812 posts
15,393 battles

I'm honestly in the camp that Republique is not very good. 

The firepower is pretty meh as it's German dispersion, 8 guns and the reload doesn't make up for it. The horizontal dispersion shooting at bow-on targets is particularly rubbish. The main plus is decent pen and 30mm overmatch. It's good against broadsides like all BB, but lacks the special tricks of HE or AP overmatch of Thunderer, Conqueror or Yamato. 

Survivability wise you're 32mm everywhere like the British only without the super repair. The citadel protection is good but not as reliable as the German turtleback. 

The handling is utterly unremarkable, in fact generally quite sluggish, this is only improved by the engine boost, but compared to Georgia and Bourgogne you don't really handle well. 

[JFSOC]
Members
75 posts
5,393 battles
1 hour ago, DevilD0g said:

Jean Barts a tier 9

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
1 hour ago, DevilD0g said:

Except Jean Bart is a T9 ship, not T8.

1 hour ago, Y_Nagato said:

No, but yes.

French BB are flankers, and the CV heavy meta make it harder to do successfully. Also, the number of HE spammer increased and French BB are especially fragile to that. Lastly, they tier 8-9 got hit hard with the IFHE rework, making their secondaries almost irrelevant.

This, plus the one other thing that Republique used to have going for it was it had overmatch capabilities with the 431mm guns.  But now that almost every new T10 BB has overmatch ability, she's lost even more shine to her.

Members
696 posts
61 battles

Republique is an excellent warship in WOWS, one of, if not, the most fun, tX tech tree bbs.

Reload booster coupled with adrenaline rush makes for lots of unhappy reds. But keep this to yourself, we don't want Repub getting too popular!

1 hour ago, mofton said:

but compared to Georgia and Bourgogne you don't really handle well

But these are, not tech tree ships. Bourgogne is a tier 11 bb sold for steel, so not readily available to average tech tree casuals. Georgia is sold for coal right? 

2 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Is it a Mehbote?

There is a tendency for all tier 10 tech tree bbs to be powercrept by reward/premiums.

Repub < Bourg

Conq < Thunderer

Montana < ecetera//

Although in random battles this shouldn't matter too much, Repub, whatever those who are terrified about their "stats" might say, is a funbote. You just need to play life and WOWS close to the edge.

Edited by hateboat

[STAR]
Members
564 posts
21,128 battles
2 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

No one said that like... ever? Innacurate guns that are easy to K.O. and also overpens cruisers all day long + lacks overmatch...

You are literally the first player i found that mentioned it.

[UN1]
Members
1,292 posts
4,040 battles
2 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I look at the Repub with its two turrets and instantly get sleepy. If you don't want to limit yourself to just four barrels you have to show your side. No thank you.

:Smile_hiding:

Republique is hard to master. Richelieu, Jean Bart, and Alsace are very easy to play, but the Republique isn't. Her guns are beyond insane, but that super fast reload, enormous size (Republique is one of the largest battleships in the game, just under the GK), and 32mm armor means you're visible to the enemy aaaalllllll the time. I think the trick to playing her is learning how to not get the enemy's attention while blasting away with your obviously punishing main battery. 

[WOLFC]
Members
2,153 posts
10,518 battles
1 hour ago, mofton said:

The firepower is pretty meh as it's German dispersion, 8 guns and the reload doesn't make up for it. The horizontal dispersion shooting at bow-on targets is particularly rubbish. The main plus is decent pen and 30mm overmatch. It's good against broadsides like all BB, but lacks the special tricks of HE or AP overmatch of Thunderer, Conqueror or Yamato. 

The funny thing is that this “German dispersion” is no longer German. German BBs use the UK/USN dispersion curve now, so the only ships that still use the “German” curve are French or Italian.

Edited by Nevermore135

Members
992 posts
1,387 battles
23 minutes ago, hateboat said:

Conq < Thunderer

23 minutes ago, hateboat said:

There is a tendency for all tier 10 tech tree bbs to be powercrept by reward/premiums

Conqueror is the tech tree Tier 10 UK BB.

[TOG]
Members
207 posts
11,185 battles

Repub is fun. The reload with AR makes it so you are banging out salvos fast enuf to make up for the four gun turrets.

If you are a brawler, the secondaries reach out to over 12 km. I make mine a secondary build with tank build options.

And be careful to manage your damage control and repair party.

• Cool 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,509 posts
18,105 battles

Danny Devito No GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Who exactly made that claim? It is likely the worst of the Tier 8 battleships and I have never read anywhere where a CC, reviewer, or sober adult claiming it was the best. Let's see some proof or this assertion is bogus. 

Oh and by the way the Jean Bart is a Tier 9 battleship. 

Edited by Jolly_Rodgered
  • Meh 1

Members
474 posts
10,013 battles

Richelieu is definitely tankier than NC, but I wouldn't call her/him "the king of tier 8 bb". NC's guns still have superior vertical dispersion.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,812 posts
15,393 battles
11 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

The funny thing is that this “German dispersion” is no longer German. German BBs use the UK/USN dispersion curve now, so the only ships that still use the “German” curve are French or Italian.

Amusingly true, maybe it should be renamed 'Mediterranean' as it seems the preserve of Italy and France these days. 

36 minutes ago, hateboat said:

There is a tendency for all tier 10 tech tree bbs to be powercrept by reward/premiums.

The balance of the premium/special ships is a problem, but a separate one. 

You emphasize fun, but honestly I don't enjoy Republique. If I want a big hammer I go with something else, fire farming Conq, stupid secondary death attack GK, Republique is both bad and just not fun. I don't enjoy being farmed with her armor scheme, I don't enjoy her unrewarding guns. I don't enjoy being merely a Montana maneuverability wise whenever engine boost is on cooldown. 

I compared Repub to those other ships to highlight how sad her maneuverability trait is, I think she should get a 20% boost or maybe 32kt base speed to make her actually fun to drive around. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,153 posts
10,518 battles
1 minute ago, Singularity_invader said:

Richelieu is definitely tankier than NC, but I wouldn't call her/him "the king of tier 8 bb". NC's guns still have superior vertical dispersion.

NC also has superior horizontal dispersion, as she uses the superior UK/US/KM dispersion curve rather than the French/Italian curve. Whether or not Richelieu is tankier than NC is debatable, since despite her spaced armor she’s covered in 32mm plating. I love melting French BBs with my cruisers. NC has more vulnerable sides (to both shells and torps) but that’s about it and I’m not sure is makes up for the lack of 38mm deck.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,348 posts
22,147 battles

Bft, aft, fp.

I don't use CE because the guns are allways shooting.

With 11.7 or 11.3 secondaries I have surprised several destroyers and cruisers.

I'll never forget 2 years ago in a clan battle dev striking a zao that got spotted within 5 min of match at 26km....

Sadly the Bourgogne,  thunderer & Ohio have outshines her.

I love to flank then push in mid game to brawl.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,234 posts
9,589 battles
1 hour ago, Cpt_JM_Nascimento said:

No one said that like... ever? Innacurate guns that are easy to K.O. and also overpens cruisers all day long + lacks overmatch...

You are literally the first player i found that mentioned it.

The funny thing is, I find the guns pretty accurate out past 20km. It's only when I get into mid-range they sometimes infuriate me lol.

I've lost guns a few times, but yeah, if you try that stationary/reverse bowtanking crap, the guns take up a lot of your profile, and get hit a lot. I tend to keep moving at max speed, and present an angled target, so people are less likely to aim at them specifically.

I wouldn't call it "the king", but I certainly find it as good as any other T8 BB I've played. (except maybe Amagi)

Members
3,354 posts
17,002 battles

Republic is a good BB but it just got lost in my port over time.  After getting JB it was so much fun in both T9 and T10 that  I forgot all about Republic although I share the same captain.