You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
shinytrashcan

rant about ranked

11 comments in this topic

[TIMT]
Members
1,122 posts
4,481 battles

OK, up to this point I was pretty zen with ranked this season since I only saw it as a method to farm credits.

But today was just soooo bad. I started at 5.2, which was admittedly not that bad. It just was very few players up there and most of them I have to admit were much better than me. So before long I was back at rank 6 and here the shitshow started. I had teams where I was the only person with a WR above 50%. I had teams with GKs yoloing into the enemy and people thinking "hey lets put all our BBs on the flank where the reds are not, the yoshino and that DM can hold the rest".

I am seriously frustrated with this, especially since more often than not the last BB alive usually saves the star and cruiser or DD mains can just f*ck off

In my last match I detonated. At least I got those flags again now...

I mean, what is this travesty of a gamemode where you have to rely on RNG MM to get above a magical barrier where all of a sudden MM sucks because it takes 5 minutes to get into a game and then you see the same 6 unicums again distributed across teams.This crapis beyond grinding right now, this is pure masochism. Good thing a rework for this abomination is finally in the works.

Good night folks. That is it for me this weekend.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
Members
13,826 posts
6 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

In my last match I detonated.

Are you out of flags or do you not use them in ranked?

[RST]
[RST]
Beta Testers
167 posts
9,922 battles
9 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

OK, up to this point I was pretty zen with ranked this season since I only saw it as a method to farm credits.

But today was just soooo bad. I started at 5.2, which was admittedly not that bad. It just was very few players up there and most of them I have to admit were much better than me. So before long I was back at rank 6 and here the shitshow started. I had teams where I was the only person with a WR above 50%. I had teams with GKs yoloing into the enemy and people thinking "hey lets put all our BBs on the flank where the reds are not, the yoshino and that DM can hold the rest".

I am seriously frustrated with this, especially since more often than not the last BB alive usually saves the star and cruiser or DD mains can just f*ck off

I mean, what is this travesty of a gamemode where you have to rely on RNG MM to get above a magical barrier where all of a sudden MM sucks because it takes 5 minutes to get into a game and then you see the same 6 unicums again distributed across teams.This crapis beyond grinding right now, this is pure masochism. Good thing a rework for this abomination is finally in the works.

I play Rank just long enough to get the season flag and maybe some steel.  I don't waste my time after that.  So long as there's a "save a star" built into the game mode, it's not worth the hassle.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WHARF]
Members
296 posts
18,463 battles

When will you people learn that ranked is just random battles with better prizes....and that why we play clan battles to have some control over a team in a game...happy hunting

[PVE]
Members
4,823 posts
21,183 battles
10 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

Well, you got beyond 10 so you are a patient person !!!  Honestly, there is not any "real value" anymore in Random or Ranked play.   Win rate means nothing.  Luck is everything......  The Barney level players (unicums) use ranked to farm.   One stomp is too many and a waste of precious time....  Multiple stomps and losses of stars is just the definition of insanity:  doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome......  Face it:  the mode is hosed.   Look at what some of the kiddies are doing:  playing a ranked match, one after the other and running into the closest cap to die trying and then, entering another match as fast as they can............all day long till they Rank low enough or out.   Some have actually ranked out doing that !!!!  An ex-clan mate of mine tried a variation of that and had 18 wins and 2 losses and did relatively nothing.........all, based on luck of the draw.       And, you want to play Randoms or Ranked why????  Skill???   Pass. 

The statistics simply are NOT balanced or infer any value added use of time.....  

• Boring 3

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
398 posts
13,023 battles

My first 50 battles or so, I reached rank 6 with 3 stars.  One away from 5.  Had a 69% win rate, and my avg damage and PR were both great.  Really feeling good.

Then the Update to 9.9.

After, 45 battles, win rate in the 40% range, avg damage and PR lousey, and am at rank 9.  The first day after the update I had the bad stutter that was reported on the forum which really threw me off, however, that seems to have been fixed, but my god, this has been terrible.  On terrible teams for the most part, and working like I did prior in the first 50 battles, I have no one that is spotted to shoot at, while I am always spotted and suffer.  

I have never seen two such different rolls.  Its like wow,  time to just close it up.

[TIMT]
Members
1,122 posts
4,481 battles
6 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

I usually use them, just must have run out a while back without realizing. Well, now I got a few more again.

Edit: to expand a bit on this, in randoms when grinding etc I usually don't use them because I don't really mind detonations that much. Also this allows you to rack up a good amount of them. In ranked I just found it to be an unnecessary risk so I put the flags on. Then I ran out and realized it only when I got new flags the hard way...

3 hours ago, dadeoo said:

When will you people learn that ranked is just random battles with better prizes....and that why we play clan battles to have some control over a team in a game...happy hunting

I started the season with exactly this mantra. I needed to grind a large amoutn of credits and cXP anyway, so I thought I can do it just as well in ranked to get some extra rewards. For the first few days this worked really well and I got past 10 quick, then relatively fast up to 7. Then I jumped up to 5 where I took a short break.

When I came back the issue was that at 5 the MM changed drastically since you are in a new bracket. I was running wows monitor to get a feeling of the odds and for some time it was actually interesting to see how teams were doing and how well stats correlated with results etc. But what I saw at rank 5 was very different, as there were very few players actually i the queue making me wait 5 minutes for my first game. Then half the team was purple or cyan, which granted is a little out of my league. So I was not too surprised when I slipped back to r6, since I was clearly the underperformer here.

But what I saw back at rank 6 was atttrocious. I had teams with average WR of 46%! Roflstomps galore, and at times I was the only player in a team with a WR above 50%. Overall the RNG in that MM was harsh and it is very easy to lose a lot of ranks. I don't know if I actually want to continue that only to get kicked back down immediately from rank 5.

2 hours ago, Designated_Survivor said:

Yep some days its great.. other days you might as well shut your eyes and hope for the best!

The thing is, I made the observation that ranked also affects random MM since a lot of players are playing ranked. So in a way it breaks both at times.

Anyway, this was all more intended as a rant to vent and not really to start a discussion on what we already know. Thanks for the comments though

Edited by shinytrashcan

[REVY]
Members
2,565 posts
13,838 battles
13 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

going into the weekend I had gotten up to Rank 9.2, a personal best.

Enter the weekend.

Suddenly I have teams where the BBs fire HE at broadside ships, DDs that hide behind islands or run behind the CV (in some cases), or (and what really frustrates me) the team has numerical advantage on the otherside of the map, where my side is basically facing the majority of the enemy team. I rack up almost 3 million in potential damage delaying them, while trying to stay alive. After my inevitable death, I look up and find the the otherside has been completely deleted!

To top it off, I've just gotten my first ever chat ban!

Complete sh*t weekend of ranked. Now I'm at Rank 11.

6 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

It honestly depends on the ship.

If I am in DDs, yes I fly them always.

Weaker skinned CLs, yes

CAs and BBs, usually never. Its a been really rare for me to det in a BB. It has happened, but its very rare.

Members
2,357 posts
32,791 battles

I'm not playing much this season.  I'll play when the remake comes around next season though.  And it sounds like it's a continuous game mode with very short breaks between "seasons."