You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Tier VII Battleship Agility Changes

30 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,328 posts
10,459 battles

Hello, everyone.  I'm working on my Florida review and thought this was interesting enough to share on its own merits.  Back with patch 0.9.6 a few months back, the agility parameters of a few ships were changed.  The tier VII battleships were noteworthy in having quite a few changes worth talking about, namely:

1. American tech-tree Standard-type battleships were nerfed significantly.
    The biggest change by far was that Colorado (along with New Mexico) lost their improved energy preservation in the turn. On paper, they appeared to be buffed, with their turning circle radius shrinking.  However, the loss of speed meant that they now handled much more sluggishly and came about more slowly.
  2. Mid to High tier German battleships were slightly nerfed.
    A lot of the German battleships had their turning radius bumped up by 10m to 20m.  This really doesn't make that much of a difference as you can see below.
  3. Sinop was nerfed.
    Sinop was turning too well prior to patch 0.9.6.  This brought her into line with what she should have been doing.

TpMia39.jpg
Ships with stars have been changed or added since patch 0.9.6.

Hope this helps visualize these changes better.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 12
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1

Members
139 posts
2,003 battles

Thanks LWM!! 
and probably so they don’t have to give the improved energy retention to the new thicc bois 

[WG-CC]
12,328 posts
10,459 battles
1 minute ago, Taichunger said:

Thanks. @LittleWhiteMouse what was the rationale for nerfing US standards' turning speed?

Consistency, I imagine.  With the new American battleship line coming, having "special" tech tree ships was inconvenient.  Moreover, these were old-timey hold-overs from pre-Open Beta.  They ended up being problem children wherein their in-port values were incorrect.

• Cool 1

Members
1,112 posts
4,792 battles

Wouldya look at that. The Gneisenau has better wiggle than most battleships in the game. 4.5* / second is downright absurd for such a large ship, and I love it.

-Shrayes

Edit: Also, wth is that radius on the Lyon. 4.5* / sec at 700 meters!? Holy mother of...RNGeebus

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula

[GPORT]
Members
198 posts
12,112 battles

While you may not think much of the nerf , on the Scharnhorst with the turn radius AND the speed drop while turning makes her a bit sluggish now .

And before anybody thinks to say anything I have over 3k battles on that ship alone , so I notice it .

[SALVO]
Members
25,883 posts
28,240 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Consistency, I imagine.  With the new American battleship line coming, having "special" tech tree ships was inconvenient.  Moreover, these were old-timey hold-overs from pre-Open Beta.  They ended up being problem children wherein their in-port values were incorrect.

The thing is that longer, thinner ships should be slower to turn, while shorter, wider ships are supposedly more agile and quicker to turn.  BBs like the Arizona should turn more quickly than longer, thinner BBs like the Iowa or Montana.  It seems INconsistent to me to go against this.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,814 posts

As long the 180 turn of the turrets match the 180 turn more or less Im happy. I don't care how much room it takes to turn in open water. When I come about and settle those turrets need to be settled and ready to shoot from the other side.

Some ships eat up forward speed and fall apart in turns. Then drag while you get shot up for your trouble. I usually equip rudder to them. But not the rudder shift three. It takes too much away from top end.

Only in certain ships. Otherwise you get torped to death unable to turn much.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,348 battles
3 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Hello, everyone.

Hello back at ya!

Thanks for the 411, and also for the late night efforts to keep us up to date. You're burning the candle into the wee hours of the morning.

Your efforts are appreciated.

Christmas Mouse Carrying Burning Candle, Illustration Art Print by joyart |  Society6

Stay warm and cozy now that the weather is turning chilly!

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
12,328 posts
10,459 battles
8 hours ago, Gafwmn said:

While you may not think much of the nerf , on the Scharnhorst with the turn radius AND the speed drop while turning makes her a bit sluggish now .

And before anybody thinks to say anything I have over 3k battles on that ship alone , so I notice it .

Scharnhorst was not changed.  I have plenty of turning data both before 0.9.5 and post 0.9.6.

[DOG]
Members
1,222 posts
12,686 battles
10 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Yikes.  Seems like it might have made better sense to just change the in-port values.  These ships are already severely hampered by being slow.  To make them slow down even further while making a turn will make them miserable to play.

I made the mistake of getting Massachusetts and Georgia before finishing the grind on the tech tree.  As a result, I just can't make myself finish grinding New Mexico, knowing all I'll have to look forward to at the end of it is grinding Colorado.  Although North Carolina, Iowa, and Montana look fun.  I have a feeling I'll be burning some FXP at some point.

Members
4,358 posts
4,615 battles

Oh, Poltava. Look how they massacred my girl.  Could have sworn she turned better than Hood though.

[WORX]
Members
12,061 posts
19,521 battles

All I saw was a rainbow and some skittles.:Smile_popcorn:

I suggest, comparing two data...

• This one on this thread...
  • AND the before nerfed  visuals up...

That way I can have a rare double rainbow of knowledge.. ITs all thanks to LWM...

Edited by Navalpride33

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

The moment we learned that the existing BBs were losing their energy retention bonus, and that the new BBs wouldn't have it, I washed my hands of the new BBs entirely, and pretty much keep NM around only for flakes now.

[WG-CC]
12,328 posts
10,459 battles
10 hours ago, Gafwmn said:

Scharnhorst 360º turn times:

From December 2017:

• 4/4: 22.6 knots, 82.6s
  • 3/4: 18.8 knots, 96.8s
  • 1/2: 13.8 knots, 138.6s
  • 1/4: 7.3 knots, 338.45

From 2018:

22.6 knots

• 82.5s

Average: 82.56

From post 0.9.6 in 2020:

30kts | 22.6kts

• 1:22.60
  • 1:22.63
  • 1:22.41
  • 1:22.80
  • 1:22.57

4/4 Max Speed: 30.0 / 4/4 Sustained Turning Speed: 22.6

• 1:22.62
  • 1:22.61
  • 1:22.56
  • 1:22.55
  • 1:22.75
  • 1:22.66
  • 1:22.51
  • 1:22.68

As you can see, she has been consistent for years.  These are numbers independently pulled from different players from different servers.

[GPORT]
Members
198 posts
12,112 battles

I believe the numbers you have here , it's just that it " feels " a little more sluggish than before . 

[WG-CC]
12,328 posts
10,459 battles
3 minutes ago, Gafwmn said:

I believe the numbers you have here , it's just that it " feels " a little more sluggish than before . 

And that's totally fair, which leads to the question on why it feels more sluggish.  It could be there's more need for her to manoeuvre than before.  Faster fish, more frequent air drops, more cluttered maps, etc. 

[A-I-M]
Members
3,600 posts
14,502 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The moment we learned that the existing BBs were losing their energy retention bonus, and that the new BBs wouldn't have it, I washed my hands of the new BBs entirely, and pretty much keep NM around only for flakes now.

I make no effort to cash in T7 and lower flakes, unless they pay coal.

[WOLF3]
Members
456 posts
11,356 battles
1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I make no effort to cash in T7 and lower flakes, unless they pay coal.

i run coops for the two camos that can be sold for 100k, which is an ok return for about 3 minutes.

[WG-CC]
12,328 posts
10,459 battles
24 minutes ago, Drifter_X said:

Just how much is the energy conservation being nerfed?

• Colorado 4/4 Speed: 21 knots
  • Sustained 4/4 Turning Speed (0.9.5):  19.2 knots
  • Sustained 4/4 Turning Speed (0.9.6):  15.9 knots
  • Cool 1

Members
1,112 posts
4,792 battles
12 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:
  • Colorado 4/4 Speed: 21 knots
  • Sustained 4/4 Turning Speed (0.9.5):  19.2 knots
  • Sustained 4/4 Turning Speed (0.9.6):  15.9 knots

Yeow, that's gonna sting

-Shrayes

[WOLF3]
Members
456 posts
11,356 battles
9 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Yeow, that's gonna sting

-Shrayes

Well, i guess you will turn faster to the orientation you want earlier so you can make the speed back up?