Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
g452

Audio alert for impending beaching?

6 comments in this topic

[ANZ4C]
Members
25 posts
5,424 battles

Hi all

First post.  And I have a problem.

The gentle beep beep beep warning that you are about to node right into the dirt just doesn't get through to my brain quickly enough when engaged.  By the time it does I might as well roll out my towel, slap on some sun screen and watch the fire rain down on my stationary boat.  Yeah, there is the visual indicator too but that is also minor enough for executive function to push behind dodging and aiming.  I also have not seen anywhere where you can change this alert within the in game client settings.

I know there are the sounds mods for other warning (ie torpedoes) so is there one for 'you are about to beach you great pillock'?  I think I need something that basically reaches out of my speakers, grabs me by the scruff and rubs my nose in that pending fact.

Cheers

[PVE]
Members
7,234 posts
23,080 battles
34 minutes ago, g452 said:

Hi all

First post.  And I have a problem.

The gentle beep beep beep warning that you are about to node right into the dirt just doesn't get through to my brain quickly enough when engaged.  By the time it does I might as well roll out my towel, slap on some sun screen and watch the fire rain down on my stationary boat.  Yeah, there is the visual indicator too but that is also minor enough for executive function to push behind dodging and aiming.  I also have not seen anywhere where you can change this alert within the in game client settings.

I know there are the sounds mods for other warning (ie torpedoes) so is there one for 'you are about to beach you great pillock'?  I think I need something that basically reaches out of my speakers, grabs me by the scruff and rubs my nose in that pending fact.

Cheers

1st off...Welcome to the Forums :-)

There is the ability to have the ship steer you away from islands but most turn it off so they have full control of their ships w/out unexpected turning occuring.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[ANZ4C]
Members
25 posts
5,424 battles

Cheers  👍

Yeah, tried that both on and off.  Largely its the same result - sucks on the beach.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,178 posts

You got maybe a shot by looking into Aslain's modpak... its possible someone may have provided an alternate sound for the situation of which you speak. 

I'll give you some unwanted advice, probably, but here it is anyhow. When you play this game, no matter the ship, your eyes should be on the mini-map nearly all the time. Only time you want it elsewhere is when you are ready to fire torps/main batteries or you're flying an aircraft. Otherwise, drive by the mini-map.

You can config that puppy any number of ways. You can also increase its size by using the plus key. 

Now, go have fun - and for future reference, when you beach like that... it's called "pulling a Notser". 

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,082 battles
1 hour ago, g452 said:

And I have a problem.

That would be not paying attention. 

The solution is not a louder, flashier alert. The solution is to pay attention to what you are doing.

[ANZ4C]
Members
25 posts
5,424 battles

That would be not paying attention. 

The solution is not a louder, flashier alert. The solution is to pay attention to what you are doing.

Oh I pay attention - too much attention to dodging and aiming at times.  That executive function thing I mentioned in first post - ADHD (late life diag).  Fixating on things does happen, and that leaves everything else waaaay in the background.

Cheers on the Aslains modpak suggestion Herr_Reitz - will take a look.  And as above when the shells start flying the minimap gets in that backseat too.   Though I do try and watch that as much as possible.

Edited by g452

Sign in to follow this