Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

Is This A Reverse Cycle Air Conditioner ?

8 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
2,988 posts
24,073 battles

Have seem this quite a bit when playing this ship always thought it looked odd and wondered what it was, finally decided to screen shot it and find out.

looks like a air conditioner hope its reverse cycle, can you set the timer on it just in case the crew is in a battle and cant get to the controls to it on and off.

Hey WG does it a have a two year parts and labour warranty, if your at sea does the air conditioning repair man still come out to fix it, if he is on a hour rate and its out of warranty that could be hell one of a bill for travel time. 

Actually looks pretty small will that even cool the entire ship.

shot-20_10.02_13_13.36-0808.thumb.jpg.b327d1c3c249eddfd70b36f898ab7611.jpg

Edited by tm63au
  • Funny 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,757 posts
5,404 battles

We would call that a swamp cooler.

Run tons of water through it every hour make water fall inside like rain between large racks. The air passing through that is cooled.

You will want to cool the magazines and gunnery spaces. About 40 to 60 men in the turret will heat the space in a short time working hard and exhaling all that gases and raising the temps never mind the hot guns after a time. Heat stroke etc becomes a real possibility and your warship can turn into a useless paper tiger.

Also some spaces with Radar, Radio etc require cooling. Same as our computers today. I have a 360mm radiator cooling my CPU and holds it at 43C in the game. Thats enough to increase the temperature slowly in the room that it's in. I run the air conditioning to cool it or open a window in winter. Its sufficient to keep me warm as a space heater at night in winter.

One time years ago I bought a pair of Asus Matrix video cards. The room that computer was in when I ran them through a game the first night raised my house from 70 to about 84 which became too hot for me. I sold the cards on the bay and found better cards that will stay cooler with less heat. It can and does sometimes raise my current temps with that radiator from 70F to about 80F if the air conditioning is off.

Edited by xHeavy

[WOLFG]
Members
11,139 posts
10,380 battles
13 hours ago, xHeavy said:

We would call that a swamp cooler.

That's a big aft swamp cooler.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,517 posts
18,144 battles

Hamster Wheel GIF by TikTok - Find & Share on GIPHY

I believe that's the generator room for the servers. 

• Haha 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,757 posts
5,404 battles
22 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

That's a big aft swamp cooler.

Indeed.

I have a hobby playing with trains Im past 50 coming up on 60 and can play choo choo. (Wells Nevada NCRR program of instruction in steam) and related to that thinking on cooling technology, I recalled that my grandparents had one of the original ice boxes that had the dangerous gases in it from the late 20's era. That thing lasted all the way to the sale of the house at roughly 1990. The home is still there under it's original 100 year old slate roof with a white treatment applied using modern tech for reflecting sun to cool. That home is three stories and built like a chimney. You pull in cold air from the coal chute and alley window (Relatively cold, if its' 90 outside its still cold) with fans plural. Then two more floor fans direct the heat up the stairs and 4 more fans drove the heat rising out of the home through windows on both ends. We would have 110 degree weather in the city and no problems. The basement was always 68 minus one section during laundry day or coal furnace.

In railroading cooled temperature controlled perishables was after about 1915. Prior to that we cut ice blocks in winter, stored it then shipped it all over the Nation. Sometimes from Alaska and Arctic. After WW1 we just built cold storage for cooling.

An examination of the Warships in WW2 certainly had cooling. Freezer ships shipped Beef by tonnage across the Atlantic and Pacific etc. The British had a Carrier very late in the war sent to the US Pacific Theatre and found that it's just Way too HOT to function. So they went to the States and had airconditioning installed. Then they did better.

I would have to sit and read minutae on cooling technology in warships before I can proceed further on this topic. People in those days simply did without most of the time. No air conditioning and the bodies and behaviors changed to adapt. For example in Trucking down Mexico when I get to about 10 am local time I park and hit the sleeper with the cab air on and nap 4 hours until 2. Siesta time of the hottest part of the day. Its a real slow living nothing is going to get done for 4 hours so it reduces the stress on everyone. If you did get hungry you can get food its easy fix. So the idea of summer time nappy time here in America is not a normal one for most of us to manage heat without air conditioning.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this