Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
brewakeg

Radar- ability to incapacitate or destroy

18 comments in this topic

Members
271 posts
9,747 battles

So my thought is all ships carrying radar into a battle should have a "module" or area, located on the top of the bridge, that opposing ships should be able to damage or destroy.

Repair time should be greater than cool down time, or if the radar is active, damaging it will turn it off.

Everything else on our ships can be damaged- why not those flimsy arrays rotating above the bridge?

Edited by brewakeg
  • Cool 3
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 1

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,755 battles
12 minutes ago, brewakeg said:

So my thought is all ships carrying radar into a battle should have a "module" or area, located on the top of the bridge, that opposing ships should be able to damage or destroy.

Repair time should be greater than cool down time, or if the radar is active, damaging it will turn it off.

Everything else on our ships can be damaged- why not those flimsy arrays rotating above the bridge?

Something like that would only happen if it were a threat to BB.

• Haha 1
  • Boring 3

[PVE]
Members
7,314 posts
23,183 battles
37 minutes ago, brewakeg said:

Everything else on our ships can be damaged

No other consumables (other than planes) can be damaged...radar is a consumable.

Damage Control/Hydro/Smoke/torp or turret Reload Boosters/Heal/DFAA/etc.

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,789 posts

You probably are referring to Electronic Counter Warfare. As in Jamming the enemy radar.

In those days a secret process was used to jam radar, specific cut length aluminum strips or similar were bundled and sortied forward of the main strike group. Then dropped in massive "Walls" that take forever to fall 35000 feet. The enemy radar is properly jammed. Made into a hash.

I think they pretty much quit doing that because the jamming is a form of saying here we come, come get us if you can. Nyah nyah nyah.

Finally and not last. To Jam enemy radar is to create a situation where you are located anyway when they find the strongest bearing your signal is at leading straight back to you.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Meh 1

[7AES]
Members
2,163 posts
33,460 battles
43 minutes ago, brewakeg said:

I’ve always bought this as well. Yes, should happen.

Everything should have a damage/incapacitation potential.

[TWWB]
Members
116 posts

Don't agree with this for a few reasons... So far every consumable I have seen has some tie-in with a module (whether already existing or could exist with declaring new modules (generators/exhaust manifolds for smoke, plane launchers for spotting/fighter aircraft, the crew that hangs on for dear life for repair party and etc in the game code)). They would have to reclassify radar as a module and not a consumable, lest if they don't being able to damage a consumable breaks something in game play along the way (why invite disaster after all?).....

Though the one that I view as most important is that as a consumable you can't single out radar and leave the others left alone. This would give the perception of discrimination against the consumable. If you can damage the radar, then why not be able to damage the smoke generator... Or the spotting/fighter aircraft launcher?

If your looking for a way to counter it, then perhaps they can add a radar jamming or stealth consumable (outside of the smoke generator/concealment skill perk). Throwing some ballpark concepts the stealth/radar jamming consumable would last for either a short time or preferably reduce the effectiveness of the radar consumable (they would have to be close to you in order for you appearing on radar while using the radar jamming/stealth consumable). To prevent it being OP the consumable could not be available for a ship that has smoke generator (or give a choice between smoke generator or stealth/radar jamming). Upgrades/perks/misc should not increase/enhance the consumable's effectiveness/duration/number of charges. 

Edited by scoots76

[WOLFG]
Members
31,377 posts
9,655 battles
14 hours ago, xHeavy said:

You probably are referring to Electronic Counter Warfare. As in Jamming the enemy radar.

No, he's thinking more of just blasting the radar dish off of the ship, like a ballistically launched, unguided HARM.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,789 posts

Well blasting a radar dish in battle? Eh...

In Kindergarden children build cubes and shapes using tubes out of a small barrel. I forget the name of it.

In Battle Im pretty sure anyone on the ship can throw a wire mattress up there and hook it to power. I have no stories of such things so... eh. Maybe the Naval Academy in Annapolis might know.

[HTDGS]
Members
464 posts
10,924 battles
14 hours ago, scoots76 said:

Don't agree with this for a few reasons... So far every consumable I have seen has some tie-in with a module (whether already existing or could exist with declaring new modules (generators/exhaust manifolds for smoke, plane launchers for spotting/fighter aircraft, the crew that hangs on for dear life for repair party and etc in the game code)). They would have to reclassify radar as a module and not a consumable, lest if they don't being able to damage a consumable breaks something in game play along the way (why invite disaster after all?).....

Though the one that I view as most important is that as a consumable you can't single out radar and leave the others left alone. This would give the perception of discrimination against the consumable. If you can damage the radar, then why not be able to damage the smoke generator... Or the spotting/fighter aircraft launcher?

If your looking for a way to counter it, then perhaps they can add a radar jamming or stealth consumable (outside of the smoke generator/concealment skill perk). Throwing some ballpark concepts the stealth/radar jamming consumable would last for either a short time or preferably reduce the effectiveness of the radar consumable (they would have to be close to you in order for you appearing on radar while using the radar jamming/stealth consumable). To prevent it being OP the consumable could not be available for a ship that has smoke generator (or give a choice between smoke generator or stealth/radar jamming). Upgrades/perks/misc should not increase/enhance the consumable's effectiveness/duration/number of charges. 

If people are looking for a way to counter it, maybe consider being good enough to play around them, have your team help kill them, learn their cooldowns, not rush caps before you know where they are, etc.

You know, playing it smart.

[TWWB]
Members
116 posts
6 hours ago, Dr_Drunk_AKA said:

If people are looking for a way to counter it, maybe consider being good enough to play around them, have your team help kill them, learn their cooldowns, not rush caps before you know where they are, etc.

Very true and originally I had mentioned something similar but edited it out.

I figured given the motions and effort used in the creation of this thread on the subject, the idea/notion of just learning to live and cope with it was not part of the process.

Edited by scoots76
  • Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
5,589 posts
9,012 battles

Consumables cannot be incapacitated. If you’re having trouble dealing with radar ships, research better strategies instead of trying to change the game. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,106 posts
12,142 battles
On 10/3/2020 at 8:02 PM, brewakeg said:

why not those flimsy arrays rotating above the bridge?

Because I'm to busy wiggling my booty to aim for the damn dish (Especially with IJN DD's horrible turret rotation).

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
732 posts
6,016 battles
11 hours ago, Dr_Drunk_AKA said:

You're in the wrong place for this. If people could play smart they wouldn't see CV's as the all powerful hand of God. 

Play and counterplay. It's all part of being a better captain. 

• Cool 1

[HTDGS]
Members
464 posts
10,924 battles
9 hours ago, HyperFish said:

You're in the wrong place for this. If people could play smart they wouldn't see CV's as the all powerful hand of God. 

Play and counterplay. It's all part of being a better captain. 

We all know from the past year or so of playing the game the average player is barely able to hit "W" 4 times and use their mouse to aim.

I guess I'm asking too much out of the playerbase.

[-TKS-]
Members
271 posts
9,087 battles

or can we just not have radar work through land masses? Cuz a LITTLE more realism with radar would balance the game alot.

• Cool 1

[WKY04]
Members
591 posts
11,820 battles
On 10/3/2020 at 7:02 PM, brewakeg said:

An alternate and necessarily conjunctive idea would be to have the consumables (all of them) also have a severely reduced but passive effect. For instance, your DCP could very slowly repair your ship all during the battle (like regeneration booster during arms race) and your radar could have a permanent reduced effect (like 35% range when not active). There could also be benefits for turn them off entirely (increased passive DCP effect, fire and flood control, or increased AA flak or continuous damage, for example).

just thoughts, since we’re just thinking. Do the damage control people become inert when there is no damage? I’m an army guy so I don’t know, but I assume crew members multitask. Could AA be enhanced during a raid by putting idle personnel to work? I don’t know but I always need more ammo for my ma deuce.

just the fact of having lots of consumables could be a useful ship statistic.

Edited by Spirit_of_76

Sign in to follow this