Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
fredsfamily2

Anchorage questions

28 comments in this topic

[TRFFG]
Members
41 posts
608 battles

I just finished building the Anchorage and was wondering what setup i need and should use in the upgrades and commander skills i should use any help would be very helpful 

be safe and thanks 

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,806 posts

I patterned mine after a airdefense model where possible.

I eventually sold the ship when I realized just how SLOW those main guns are in battle. [edited]deep in enemies and wait all day for reloading long enough to get deleted. And I consider myself fairly good with Cruisers. I equal the Anchorage to the Indianapolis (Another cruiser in US Navy) in the game which has similar behavior as was sold years ago for credits after getting sunk too much.

I choose cruisers with fast firing and airdefense as a priority. Deleting planes today with say the Minotaur is a joy. Kill 60-70 planes in a match even with a human CV player. Sort of a revenge against being harrassed all the time in destroyers.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

[SVF]
Members
1,781 posts
2,335 battles
2 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

I eventually sold the ship when I realized just how SLOW those main guns are in battle. [edited]deep in enemies and wait all day for reloading long enough to get deleted. And I consider myself fairly good with Cruisers. I equal the Anchorage to the Indianapolis (Another cruiser in US Navy) in the game which has similar behavior as was sold years ago for credits after getting sunk too much.

I choose cruisers with fast firing and airdefense as a priority. Deleting planes today with say the Minotaur is a joy. Kill 60-70 planes in a match even with a human CV player. Sort of a revenge against being harrassed all the time in destroyers.

Selling Anchorage after spending the time and money to acquire her was a significant error for you to commit imo.  At the very least, should have kept her for anniversary/Xmas first win gifts.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
22,445 posts
16,308 battles
4 minutes ago, landcollector said:

At the very least, should have kept her for anniversary/Xmas first win gifts.

Or to prevent him from ever winning her back in a routine supercontainer that might contain better things.

[SBS]
Members
6,135 posts
10 minutes ago, landcollector said:

Selling Anchorage after spending the time and money to acquire her was a significant error for you to commit imo.  At the very least, should have kept her for anniversary/Xmas first win gifts.

5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Or to prevent him from ever winning her back in a routine supercontainer that might contain better things.

What are you guys talking about, freeing up a port slot and getting a few credits back is totally worth 35k doubloons. :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,806 posts
1 hour ago, landcollector said:

Oh I know it.

Not to mention the first 20 levels paid for with 105 dollars in real money to complete the first day it came out live. However I cannot complain too much, I got a bunch of useful flags and so forth during that time.

I MAY reorder the ship in Support Ticket to bring her back at a cost in credits. I don't know yet. There are a few ships in the Sold Pile that are able to be paid for in credits and restored by WG once a day in their support system.

I am in a particular frame of mind when it comes to ships now. I tend to research and learn everything about a ship before I buy it.

• Confused 2

[BOTO]
Members
1,421 posts
17,050 battles
1 hour ago, xHeavy said:

You're wasting captain skill points building for AA as AA pretty much sucks nowadays.  You're also vastly exaggerating the number of plane kills you're getting as your record in PvP is 35 with a Benson. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
1,421 posts
17,050 battles
1 hour ago, fredsfamily2 said:

I just finished building the Anchorage and was wondering what setup i need and should use in the upgrades and commander skills i should use any help would be very helpful 

be safe and thanks 

She's basically a Buffalo at Tier 8 with smoke and torpedoes but no radar, much longer reload, and New Orleans guns/shells.  You'd build her like any other USN CA, PT, AR, DE, CE for a 10 point captain.  After that I'd go with EL, EM, SI, and that leaves you three points to play with.  As far as upgrades, I'd go with:

Slot 1 - MAM1

Slot 2 - ERP1

Slot 3 - ASM1

Slot 4 - PM1 or SGM1, whichever you value most

Slot 5 - CSM1

Fairly standard USN CA build.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,281 posts
26,944 battles

I keep all my ships...................all 386 of them....................hehehehehe

• Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,194 posts
26,846 battles
11 minutes ago, Tachnechdorus said:

I keep all my ships...................all 386 of them....................hehehehehe

Pretty much this.

I have some low tier ships I hated and sold back in the day, (2016,) but may buy back in order to fill out trees, and to get my collection achievements.

[WOLFG]
Members
662 posts
14,131 battles
15 minutes ago, Steeler_Nation_USA said:

damn does it suck that bad? It looks cool. I would think smoke is pretty dang useful. 

I have found the smoke very useful, and it looks awesome with that permanent camo. I like it. I don't think it sucks.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[JHF]
[JHF]
Members
273 posts
5,019 battles
2 hours ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

You're wasting captain skill points building for AA as AA pretty much sucks nowadays.  You're also vastly exaggerating the number of plane kills you're getting as your record in PvP is 35 with a Benson. :Smile_Default:

I think it was 42 in a Mino in ranked?  May have changed

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,806 posts
5 hours ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

35, 42 and 65 in Coop. Thats where the figure that high comes in.

Since the last patch with CV introducing powerful attack planes I made air defense my priority. I don't contribute very well with secondaries, torps and so on with cruisers. I usually get deleted before I have time to do so.

I appreciate the others checking stats, however thats what I generally do with air defense for a primary reason. I usually follow DD's into objectives. And there is awful lot of enemy CV humans trying to hunt the DD to death. When they find that I am a good AA protecting it after having some planes melted they back off. We make progress then.

[NUWES]
Members
3,298 posts
11,882 battles
On 10/3/2020 at 3:03 PM, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

It's not that AA sucks. It's Anchorage's AA sucks by USN standards and she doesn't even sport DFAA to prop it up. It isn't worth speccing into it unless you have no place else for th epoints. 

[BOTO]
Members
1,421 posts
17,050 battles
On 10/3/2020 at 8:45 PM, xHeavy said:

35, 42 and 65 in Coop. Thats where the figure that high comes in.

Since the last patch with CV introducing powerful attack planes I made air defense my priority. I don't contribute very well with secondaries, torps and so on with cruisers. I usually get deleted before I have time to do so.

I appreciate the others checking stats, however thats what I generally do with air defense for a primary reason. I usually follow DD's into objectives. And there is awful lot of enemy CV humans trying to hunt the DD to death. When they find that I am a good AA protecting it after having some planes melted they back off. We make progress then.

Co-op is not pertinent when it comes to AA.  Bot planes are terrible and are incredibly easy to shoot down without wasting any captain points/upgrade slots for AA builds.  Even if you're a co-op main this would be a waste, they're just not a threat.

It's definitely not worth it in randoms where even mediocre CV players are far better than the bots you're facing in co-op.  Those points and upgrade slots can be used on other things that are far more useful.

[RLGN]
Members
15,194 posts
26,846 battles
On 10/3/2020 at 2:11 PM, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

She's basically a Buffalo at Tier 8 with smoke and torpedoes but no radar, much longer reload, and New Orleans guns/shells.  You'd build her like any other USN CA, PT, AR, DE, CE for a 10 point captain.

Why AR? Instead of EM?

My experience has been it either you're barely scratched, and it's a wasted two points; or you're dead, and it's a wasted two points.

Members
4,358 posts
4,615 battles

I equal the Anchorage to the Indianapolis (Another cruiser in US Navy) in the game which has similar behavior as was sold years ago for credits after getting sunk too much.

Wait Anchorage doesn't have access to heavy AP? Also how is Wichita these days? 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[O7]
Supertester
349 posts
13,027 battles
14 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Why AR? Instead of EM?

My experience has been it either you're barely scratched, and it's a wasted two points; or you're dead, and it's a wasted two points.

Anchorage can easily take a few hits thanks to her armor scheme. As long as you aren't showing broadside and taking 30k hits, Anchorage can mitigate hits and combine that extra firepower with smoke usage. 

30s turret traverse is mediocre for a cruiser, but acceptable and you should be planning your turret rotation in advance anyways. EM can be taken later. 

9 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

Wait Anchorage doesn't have access to heavy AP? Also how is Wichita these days? 

Anchorage uses the Mk 19 AP shells, which are not super heavy. 

Wichita is hard to justify given her similar performance to Baltimore, a free tech tree ship. Only reason to buy Wichita is for her history. 

[RLGN]
Members
15,194 posts
26,846 battles
1 hour ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

Anchorage can easily take a few hits thanks to her armor scheme. As long as you aren't showing broadside and taking 30k hits, Anchorage can mitigate hits and combine that extra firepower with smoke usage.

For running away? 203s usually make smoke meaningless...

Yeah, yeah, not at longer ranges; but again; my experience has been there’s always some roach you can’t see that ruins such things for you.

30s turret traverse is mediocre for a cruiser, but acceptable and you should be planning your turret rotation in advance anyways. EM can be taken later.

Wasted points or not, I can’t honestly say I’ve ever consciously noticed AR actually making any difference.

Did a test game in Co-op, and a comment somewhere about it being similar to Buffalo (which I like,) seems to bear out.

Wichita is hard to justify given her similar performance to Baltimore, a free tech tree ship. Only reason to buy Wichita is for her history. 

Squishy as hell, even angled; but again; only tested in Co-op.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[O7]
Supertester
349 posts
13,027 battles

8km smoke detect is perfectly usable. Her max gun range is 15.6km, giving you a 7.6km buffer zone where you cannot be detected by ship. Anchorage also gets 27mm armor, which bounces 15" shells and lower.

Co-op is generally a poor indicator of the ship's performance in randoms. People behave differently than bots. 

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
1 hour ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

8km smoke detect is perfectly usable. Her max gun range is 15.6km, giving you a 7.6km buffer zone where you cannot be detected by ship. Anchorage also gets 27mm armor, which bounces 15" shells and lower.

Co-op is generally a poor indicator of the ship's performance in randoms. People behave differently than bots. 

the comment in COOP is true. I do enjoy Anchorage in COOP however even with its slower reload. the smoke it has makes it a beast when it comes to not getting shot, and the armor makes it trollish to some of the BBs it sees too.

[BOTO]
Members
1,421 posts
17,050 battles
8 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Why AR? Instead of EM?

Because AR is such a great captain skill and it's just more valuable than EM.  Personally I'm going to have both because I'm going to have at least a 15 point captain in a Tier VIII cruiser.  However, if for some reason I've only got a 10 point captain (which is the lowest point captain I'd use in a Tier VIII ship) then I value AR greater than EM.  Unless I'm really lucky I know I'm going to take damage and every extra bit of DPM I get helps.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying EM would be a bad choice over AR with a 10 point captain, personally I'd take AR first.

[RLGN]
Members
15,194 posts
26,846 battles
4 hours ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

Because AR is such a great captain skill and it's just more valuable than EM.  Personally I'm going to have both because I'm going to have at least a 15 point captain in a Tier VIII cruiser.  However, if for some reason I've only got a 10 point captain (which is the lowest point captain I'd use in a Tier VIII ship) then I value AR greater than EM.  Unless I'm really lucky I know I'm going to take damage and every extra bit of DPM I get helps.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying EM would be a bad choice over AR with a 10 point captain, personally I'd take AR first.

Apparently I’m not sensitive to whatever the effect is. Pathetic fractions of a second ‘faster’ don’t register with me.

[ODIN]
Members
216 posts
8,323 battles
43 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Apparently I’m not sensitive to whatever the effect is. Pathetic fractions of a second ‘faster’ don’t register with me.

AR is a .2% decrease in reload of all Main Armaments. To put that in perspective, at 50% health, you will be reloading 10% faster. Thats the same effect as BFT, and it works for ALL ships. Its hard to notice it on fast reloading ships, but on a BB, thats 3 seconds taken off your reload time at 50% health, which is absolutely amazing.

Sign in to follow this