You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Bismarck vs Hood footage

9 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

Experience the epic battle between the Bismarck and Hood battleships. The original film has been upscaled, frame interpolated to 60 fps and colorized using artificial intelligence.

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,530 posts
26,273 battles

They go through all that effort and then mess up with the sound ...

[YK]
Members
2,237 posts
11,091 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

How so?
I would be lying if I said I wasn't surprised they had cameras that could record audio during this time.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,530 posts
26,273 battles
1 hour ago, Akeno017 said:

How so?
I would be lying if I said I wasn't surprised they had cameras that could record audio during this time.

The audio is added by the production team behind the video restoration.

How they messed up: Sound has a speed of about 300 m/s at normal airpressure. The footage from that ship places it at least several hundred meters away from the camera. For every 300 meters distance the sound would need a second to travel, thus we wouldn't hear the bang at the exact same time as see the muzzle flash of them firing.

• Cool 1

[YK]
Members
2,237 posts
11,091 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

How they messed up: Sound has a speed of about 300 m/s at normal airpressure. The footage from that ship places it at least several hundred meters away from the camera. For every 300 meters distance the sound would need a second to travel, thus we wouldn't hear the bang at the exact same time as see the muzzle flash of them firing.

So the sounds are fake?
Or just not correctly in sync to the film?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,530 posts
26,273 battles
11 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

So the sounds are fake?

I'm 100% sure they're fake, too - as in, not original recording from those guns of that caliber firing. To my mind, over that distance across open water with nothing but open water around us, the sounds would be dull, relatively deep, thud, instead of a quick airy pop with that high pitched hissing sound right after. Even if the camera used had sound recording feature and even if the team restored original sound, said microphone certainly wouldn't have had the fidelity to record that air hissing part of the sound. Plus, if the sounds had been authentic, why would the team go out of their way to put them in synch with the muzzle flash, instead of leaving them where they belong? Which incidentally would allow us to tell exactly how far the ship is from the camera by counting the delay.

<Edit> Not to mention that over that distance the high pitched air hissing part of the sound would've faded; low pitched booming travels further than high pitched hissing sounds. Listen to actual war footage from the news; there's always a delay between the muzzle flashes and the sound, and the gun firing sounds are always sharp cracks or pops from small arms to thuds for larger weapons.

Edited by Lert

[YK]
Members
2,237 posts
11,091 battles
7 minutes ago, Lert said:

I'm 100% sure they're fake, too - as in, not original recording from those guns of that caliber firing. To my mind, over that distance across open water with nothing but open water around us, the sounds would be dull, relatively deep, thud, instead of a quick airy pop with that high pitched hissing sound right after.

I figured that'd be the case.
Nothing is ever so cool as to actually hear the guns of the Bismarck.
I half wander who would be mad enough to actually film an active warship engagement like that.

[NATO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,612 posts
9,995 battles
On 10/3/2020 at 6:47 AM, Akeno017 said:

I figured that'd be the case.
Nothing is ever so cool as to actually hear the guns of the Bismarck.
I half wander who would be mad enough to actually film an active warship engagement like that.

The Bismarck also had video of its engagement with Hood, but was obviously destroyed/lost in the final battle. According to some (true or not, who knows) the video footage of the trip and final mail from the crew was to be flown off the Bismarck once it was determined that the Bismarck would not make it to France.  However it was not to be as the catapult had been damaged by a hit from PoW.

It seems incredibly fluky how that whole trip went. Hood being extremely unlucky either way you look at it (the incredible timing of the hit when Hood was most vulnerable or a problem/misfire in Y turret that resulted in self destruction), Bismarck taking very few hits but those hits that a) ruined fuel and thus forcing a return to port, b) knocked out her rudder and c) knocked out her catapults. Not to mention being spotted by a US plane when Bismarck had basically disappeared into the Atlantic.

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,612 posts
20,079 battles

I often wonder how a computer can make a decision on what the colors were......

FYI, the ship the camera is on is obviously Prinz Eugen

On 10/3/2020 at 3:11 AM, Lert said:

I agree

On 10/3/2020 at 4:55 AM, Akeno017 said:

How so?

The cameras of this time were film cameras. No film camera was able to record sound until the 70s. That is why the motion picture industry uses the clacker. It helps to sync up the film with the separately recorded sound.

61tVJvmdn5L._SL1200_.jpg

On 10/3/2020 at 6:23 AM, Lert said:

@Akeno017

This is what Lert is talking about.
This is 1980s footage recorded by a VHS Camcorder. I supplied two different videos that record the gunfire from different distances.