Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
puckhead77

Coal Upgrades worth stockpiling?

13 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
212 posts
15,375 battles

I am working my way up most lines and am around tier VI - VII across the board. I have over 100k coal and while I am saving for ships, I also recognize the value of the coupons we get monthly and use those as we get them. I am wondering what other players think about the upgrades available and if it is worthwhile using the 25% off to stockpile a few of the upgrades for future ships that I may want to try out. I have a smoke generator stashed and was thinking about the hydro or radar for this month. Info and (most) comments are appreciated, thanks.

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,421 posts
17,182 battles

The radar mod is useful on the large cruisers and some of the Russian CLs, and the engine boost mod is good on the French cruisers and destroyers as well as Georgia and Bourgogne. If you earn the minimum amount of coal each day with three crates and the daily missions (1760 with clan bonuses but over time it tends to average higher than that), it’s about a week’s grind for each coal mod. Personally I wouldn’t buy one every month to stockpile so I can save up coal for ships quicker, but every now and then I’ll grab one when I get a new ship that I want to put one on. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,427 posts
29,049 battles

Stockpiling? Do you have a ship acquisition plan? If so then stockpiling makes sense. If not then buy when needed.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,812 battles
8 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Stockpiling? Do you have a ship acquisition plan? If so then stockpiling makes sense. If not then buy when needed.

He is using the coupons, and you know they expire if not used.  Scenario is if he gets to T8 on two lines on the same month, needing Radar mods.

[OIL-1]
Members
2,306 posts

I've had one of those upgrades sitting in inventory for well over a year and never mounted it.
You go through ships so fast that it isn't worth the coal.

I used coal coupons to buy papa flags back when I was after FXP ships, and don't regret it,
but I have over 600 papa flags right now.

Think about your big coupon that expires at the end of the year.
You only get one every 6 months.

If you start saving now, and combine it with the December Snowflake event,
you might have enough to get the Thunderer.
If you like to play big ships, You won't get tired of playing the Thunderer, and it doesn't lose credits.

[-VT-]
Members
1,023 posts
42,656 battles

First, you are new to the game.  As such, you should be avoiding any ships from the armory that are above your normal playing tier.  Spending on such ships when you don’t have the game experience will lead to a series of bad experiences.

Second, these mods for coal are very useful and, as you acquire ships, you will need many of them.  Hydro, radar and DFAA especially.  So buying the mods with the coupons is most cost effective.

The question is....how much do you play?  If you play a good bit you might see yourself needing the mods on a regular basis.  In that instance taking advantage of the coupon each month makes sense.  OTOH, if you are a slow grinder then skipping a coupon here and there won’t cause you any distress.

So...buy if you have a need.  Buy if you foresee a need in the next couple of weeks.  Do not buy just to inventory.  And don’t splurge on ships you have no idea how to play OR have no accumulated experience in that ship’s tier.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
212 posts
15,375 battles

I guess I should've mentioned that while I am at Tier VI - VII across the board, I am also at Tier IX on a few lines so while I am new, I am not unfamiliar. Thanks for the replies and I think I will buy a few to have on hand. I do play every day and I am enjoying the journey since that's what is all about.

[BELCH]
Members
97 posts
46,305 battles

When grinding lines for the first time, most people will be starved for credit. So selling ships helps to get newly researched ships. But when you get to the point where you want to collect ships, you will probably want them configured for best play, so you will want the Special Upgrades for them.

So I would encourage you to purchase Special Upgrades with the coupon before it expires.

I have 83 Special Upgrades, - 35 Engine Boost, 18 Hydroacoustic Search, 14 Surveillance Radar, 12 Defensive AA, minimal other - from this you can tell that I'm a DD main. So you will want to spend your coupons based on your plans for acquiring / keeping ships.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Keep in mind that WG feels free to "rebalance" those upgrades on a whim, so what you buy today could be reduced to useless tomorrow.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

Since coal is relatively hard to get and most anything decent requires 100s of thousands of coal,  I find myself having a hard time justifying the upgrades.  Then again, there are no less than 5 Tier 9/10 ships  costing 228-258k each and 3-4 175k coal cost captains I would like to have.  That being the case, I don't know that I would really consider stockpiling upgrades on the off chance I might want/need them down the road.  For myself, I buy them on a case by case basis. If I feel the ship I am using can greatly benefit from them and I know I will play that ship often as one of my favorites, I will buy them, otherwise, I just save my coal.

[PHD]
Members
2,216 posts
9,796 battles

The special speed boost is also useful in IJN DDs, as they tend to be a little slow, and the speed boost helps them get or stay, out of detection from faster cruisers and even some BBs.

If you are just working through the line probably not worth it. But if it is a ship you are going to keep, it might be nice. 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,608 posts
5,065 battles

I don't stockpile them, but I do have at least one of each to play with.  There's only a couple ships that they stay on.  If I somehow got Paolo Emilio, I'd definitely want the Engine Boost Mod, but I can buy one any time.

Since the coupons reset so often, keeping more than one extra does not make a lot of sense.

[Typing around this cat takes four times as long.]

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

I spend mine with steel on the italian containers which is grossly overpriced. I hate to leave collections unfinished. It will be about spring before all of that is finished.