You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Bingo

Sell me on one of these...

19 comments in this topic

[ICEY]
Members
190 posts
5,279 battles

I'm looking at some premium ships that I sold a long time ago (due to credit shortage) and I am having a hard time to choose one to restore via the premium ship restoration thing in support. None of them I actually bought with money, they were either coal ships or free from events. Can any of you sell me on one of the ships below? I can only choose one because I don't have enough credits for more than one.

I am somewhat acquainted with each of their playstyles, but I still can't choose lol.

Exeter

Admiral Graf Spee

Anshan

Texas

Aigle

Blyskawica

Sims

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsia

Any help to get me off from sitting on the fence would be appreciated.

Members
3,889 posts
14,039 battles

The Sims, I think, is one of those ships with a special hidden XP modifier (like the ATL, I think). It's somewhat powercrept, but alot of those ships listed are.

But it's a "special" one. The Anshan with the camo, has some credit modifier free xp modifier; but you need the camo. 

Edited by Rollingonit

[SIMP]
Members
1,610 posts

I would go in this order because of my playstyles (and which ships I think would be of most general use and play).

Sims

Texas

Admiral Graf Spee

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsia

Exeter

Blyskawica

Aigle

Anshan

But those are my preferences, your mileage may vary. Good luck! :cap_rambo:

[WPORT]
Members
7,215 posts
12,216 battles
9 minutes ago, Admiral_Bingo said:

I'm looking at some premium ships that I sold a long time ago (due to credit shortage) and I am having a hard time to choose one to restore via the premium ship restoration thing in support. None of them I actually bought with money, they were either coal ships or free from events. Can any of you sell me on one of the ships below? I can only choose one because I don't have enough credits for more than one.

I am somewhat acquainted with each of their playstyles, but I still can't choose lol.

Exeter

Admiral Graf Spee

Anshan

Texas

Aigle

Blyskawica

Sims

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsia

Exeter = surprisingly fun for this sort of ship.  I'm keeping mine.  Go get yer own.  :-)

Admiral Graf Spee = an interesting ship that I wish had one more forward turret.  Oh well.  She's fun in co-op and scenario operations.  I'm not an expert on taking her into random battles.

Aigle = I had some good times with this little 'bote while Operation Dynamo was still available.  I think she's worth the coal.  I'm keeping mine.  Go get yer own.  :-)

Not enough experience to comment on the others, as I don't own them.

Good luck, have fun.  :-)

[PVE]
Members
10,755 posts
18,502 battles
29 minutes ago, Admiral_Bingo said:

Exeter                                         Good ship

Admiral Graf Spee                    Situational Ship

Anshan                                       Good Ship, Camo offers 100% FXP bonus

Texas                                          Good Ship, Slow, long reload

Aigle                                            Good Ship

Blyskawica                                 Good Ship, Takes forever to get a 19 point Commander

Sims                                            Good Ship

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsia         Good Ship, Fast cool down on damage control team but limited to 4 or 5 with superintendent

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,174 posts
22,715 battles
35 minutes ago, Admiral_Bingo said:

Exeter

Admiral Graf Spee

Anshan

Texas

Aigle

Blyskawica

Sims

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsia

I am a DD main so here is my take.

Sims has the "extra base XP" earnings. There was a lot of grief showered on the forums when T7 Ranked was happening. Many Sims players were top of the losing team and the argument was because of the XP multiplier. I like my Sims. Sure there has been some creep but she is still very competitive and her torps are no longer quite as weak as they once were.

Anshan is a good bote. Her permacamo provides not only the +50% XP but also a +100% free XP bonus. Nice to have. If you like Russian DD you will like Anshan (a Gnevny clone).

Now Blyskawica has been power crept quite a bit. She is still lethal when played right which, to me, is more standoff gunboat than cap competitor. She handles a bit sluggish but has 7 guns but small caliber. Good for fires.

Aigle is meh. IMHO she doesn't do enough in any area (except speed) to comment on.

Exeter is fun to play. As fragile as she is when she hits with those 203's it matters.

Spee has durability and very nice torps at her tier. Her heal is a strength.

Texas, and OR are also meh. But I am not into BB.

Good luck with your choice!

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Bingo said:

Exeter

Admiral Graf Spee

Anshan

Texas

Aigle

Blyskawica

Sims

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsia

Depends on your style of play , my youtube channel Meta_Man2002 has Aigle and Graf Spee  videos explaining how I use them and both are monsters when played correctly..texas is good but not a carry ship..i can carry in GS and aigle..happy hunting captain..to me when looking at ships I either like a good ship or a little unorthodox CARRY ship..just my opinion 

Edited by Meta_Man

[KAPPA]
Members
3,118 posts
8,846 battles

Sims is great for missions requiring torp hits. Her torps don't hit very hard, so if you play your cards right you can really pile torp hits high in co-op.

Of course, the EU DDs and CVs do torp ribbons better, but they don't always count for missions. US DD only, for instance, would outright disqualify them.

Aigle, on the other hand, is the only T6 DD I'd willingly take into operations. She's like a RN CL but worse, yes, but lower detection and smoke bloom often means you can do some reaaaal cheeky plays there.

As for fun... Texas is fun if you like bullying T4 CVs and October is hilarious if you like not being on fire. Slot the dam con mod on October and DDs might as well just not bother shooting you.

[KWF]
Members
5,267 posts
6,659 battles

Out of all the ships you mention, Exeter is the strongest tier for tier and class for class. 

That said, I would go with Sims. 

Decent USN DD trainer, amazing agility, surprisingly fun torpedoes and improved XP earnings. Moreover she is a decent ship that can be used in Narai and Ranked, normal or Sprint.

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,756 posts
4,221 battles

Only one I would reeeally suggest is the Spee.

It takes a while to build damage at the start of the game, what with only having 6 barrels and a seemingly long reload of 20 seconds, but it's not that bad. Strangely enough she does more damage per shell than Scharnhorst, by a fair bit too and that helps. Her 8km torpedoes have fantastic fireing arcs which make aggressive, fairly close range plays much deadlier for your foes. Focus cruisers and broadside battleships and you'll get the damage numbers. Hydro will keep you aware of torpedoes and makes assaulting smoke screens super easy.

Just remember you *are* in a cruiser, not a battleship. Those 11 inch guns will serve well but if you think you can take anything and everything at once, well, talk to the ship yard workers as you'll be needed a new ship before long :)

[CDOH]
Members
650 posts
7,679 battles

There all Meh. would not spend any money on them.  If you want good mid tier American BB get the West Virgina.  She over matches everything at her tier and tiers up really well. Or get Arizona tanky and 12 guns and very accurate.

Sims is good

Graf Spee is ok.

Okt Revelotion i think you can get for free.  Or you use to be able.  Its a solid ship.

Edited by Rothgar_57
  • Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
7,321 posts
23,193 battles
7 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

The Sims, I think, is one of those ships with a special hidden XP modifier (like the ATL, I think). It's somewhat powercrept, but alot of those ships listed are.

But it's a "special" one. The Anshan with the camo, has some credit modifier free xp modifier; but you need the camo. 

(Edit: Apparently I had false data about this paragraph...please disregard).

Atlanta doesn't get the "extra" baked in XP modifier...all premiums get an XP modifier via their camo but Sims is the only 1 that has the "extra" modifier baked in.

7 hours ago, Admiral_Bingo said:

Exeter

Admiral Graf Spee

Anshan

Texas

Aigle

Blyskawica

Sims

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsia

Sims is also 1 of the 1st 3 ships in the game (the other 2 being Yubari & Gremy).

Only have the Yubari of those 3 so can't give any opinion of the Sims (other than playing against it... it's a US DD that seems to do US DD things quite well as far as that goes).

As for the others on your list I only have 4 (which I also got for free...though only 3 were from the missions when released...the Texas was a gifted Santa crate).

Spee: Takes getting used to the dispersion but once you got it down it's quite powerful in the right circumstances.

Texas: If you like US BBs it can get the job done quite nicely. Decent AA...was OP AA before the rework though.

Okt Revolution: Decent BB if you can control you DC consumable well as it only gets a few stock ones...but not enough experience in RU BBs to know if it is a good trainer for the line in other regards (haven't played much since RU BBs we're introduced...which also lets you know my evaluations are a little out dated).

Aigle: Nice run (fast) & gun DD but I forget it's torp range as I haven't played it in awhile obviously...but remember it was more reliable as a gun boat so guessing that was probably it's main attraction...but it's torps may be OP also for all I can remember...if so it's dual purpose.

As a note...even though it is rare...occasionally super containers drop ships...& from what I've heard (as it's never happened to me because I never sell them) it's really annoying to finally get a SC to drop a ship...only to have it 1 of the ships you already owned & sold.

So my advice is to get them all back as soon as you can afford to get the extra credits to do so.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[SALVO]
Members
25,863 posts
28,228 battles
4 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Exeter                                         Good ship

Admiral Graf Spee                    Situational Ship

Anshan                                       Good Ship, Camo offers 100% FXP bonus

Texas                                          Good Ship, Slow, long reload

Aigle                                            Good Ship

Blyskawica                                 Good Ship, Takes forever to get a 19 point Commander

Sims                                            Good Ship

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsia         Good Ship, Fast cool down on damage control team but limited to 4 or 5 with superintendent

Not as long now for the Blys, since there's a Euro DD line.  Admittedly, the skill set for a Euro DD line DD may not be a perfect fit for the Blys, but it's better than it was before.

Members
3,889 posts
14,039 battles
6 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Atlanta doesn't get the "extra" baked in XP modifier...all premiums get an XP modifier via their camo but Sims is the only 1 that has the "extra" modifier baked in.

It's been speculated before. Ive always felt like it did, when I played it.

Quoted from LWM in the 2nd linked post

Some premium ships do have a [mystery descriptor word -- what could it be?  You'll never know!] base experience earning coefficient than their peers.  But then again, some tech tree ships also have modified experience earning coefficients.  This is before any modification for flags, signals, camouflage, events, etc.  Sims and Atlanta are two ships that appear to have spiked earning yields. - LWM

[PVE]
Members
7,321 posts
23,193 battles
58 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

It's been speculated before. Ive always felt like it did, when I played it.

Quoted from LWM in the 2nd linked post

Some premium ships do have a [mystery descriptor word -- what could it be?  You'll never know!] base experience earning coefficient than their peers.  But then again, some tech tree ships also have modified experience earning coefficients.  This is before any modification for flags, signals, camouflage, events, etc.  Sims and Atlanta are two ships that appear to have spiked earning yields. - LWM

Based on the T7 only ranked season in which Sims was the only ship being mentioned as always taking top of the BXP board & Atlanta wasn't (despite it being quite common that ranked season also) I was under the assumption that only Sims had it.

I wasn't a forumites back then though so missed all of those threads...can't doubt LWM knowledge of that even if there wasn't the WG official announcements about the tree ships getting boosts also.

Members
3,889 posts
14,039 battles
7 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Based on the T7 only ranked season in which Sims was the only ship being mentioned as always taking top of the BXP board & Atlanta wasn't (despite it being quite common that ranked season also) I was under the assumption that only Sims had it.

I wasn't a forumites back then though so missed all of those threads...can't doubt LWM knowledge of that even if there wasn't the WG official announcements about the tree ships getting boosts also.

It's just recognizable when you play the ship. Even mediocre performance games produce high XP. Ive always noticed that when playing it.

But I havent played it in months, so maybe it got nerfed.

Members
1,834 posts
11,835 battles

I have Sims, Aigle, Texas, Spee and I'd say they're all good ships so just get the one that suits your play style.

Edited by Rouxi

[PVE]
Members
7,321 posts
23,193 battles
7 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

It's just recognizable when you play the ship. Even mediocre performance games produce high XP. Ive always noticed that when playing it.

But I havent played it in months, so maybe it got nerfed.

I've got over 1k battles in it but never noticed an abundant amount of BXP in it...but it does hold my co-op BXP total of 1400+ BXP so I guess there could be something to it...although I've played many late night games where I was the only human on the team & a DD heavy T9 battle is what I always assumed was the scenario where that occured (7 kills is my record & 7 T9 kills could have accounted for it...maybe)...although I can say for certain I have no idea as I noticed the record just by checking out of curiosity 1 day & don't remember the specific battle it occured in...but it was definitely before the 9 per side era when there were only 8 per side.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos