You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review: Paolo Emilio

88 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,769 posts
20,226 battles

2GD1eB2.gif

I'll be skipping this one. Not a DD player really, DD play is in a poor state at the moment and though her gimmick looks like a fun and unique one, just don't wanna bother the time regrinding lines to get her.

• Cool 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2

[WOLF5]
Members
1,304 posts
10,102 battles

Thanks for this well developed and documented review. Obviously there were many independent calculations performed that really added to the review and this effort is appreciated.

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles

Good read and review.

Ship doest interest me enough to divert from grinding for fake-Pobeda however.

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,784 posts
5,099 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Part of the reason she's so hefty is that she's actually armoured!  Khabarovsk and other high-tier Soviet destroyers show their Italian pedigree when you look at what Paolo Emilio is sporting here.  She has belt armour.  She has armoured turrets and barbettes.  She actually has reinforced magazine protection and a turtleback to protect her machine spaces for crying out loud.

This is not accurate at all. Lesta took a mid 30s destroyer leader proposal for the VMF from Ansaldo and frankensteined it per their own admission. This has nothing to do with actual Italian destroyer designs.

1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Paolo Emilio's anti-aircraft damage numbers aren't terrible.  They're downright respectable even.  The issue here is that she doesn't have the range to give her guns enough time on target to do anything.

Which is criminal since Lesta had plenty of time to update the ship model this once it switched from a low tier cruiser.

Regardless I'm sure everyone was ready to enjoy the very first Italian "destroyer" to actually go public. Oh wait....

I just remind myself this is the Lesta devs when it comes to Italian ships.

tenor.gif?itemid=13967596

• Meh 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,324 posts
10,458 battles
10 minutes ago, SparvieroVV said:

This is not accurate at all. Lesta took a mid 30s destroyer leader proposal for the VMF from Ansaldo and frankensteined it per their own admission. This has nothing to do with actual Italian destroyer designs.

This sounds like a big fat case of:
135.png

Khabarovsk was inspired by an Italian design.  What came after does not negate that.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[UNC]
Members
852 posts
6,196 battles

Thank you, as always for your insight!  This ship was not even on my radar, but it's good to see my feelings about it confirmed.  Not interested in the RB anyhow, so this is an easy pass.  Looking forward to your thoughts on Florida, but please make sure you are taking time for yourself!!

[SIM]
Members
5,587 posts
9,012 battles

Thanks for all of your hard work Mouse. Emilio being in the Research Bureau means that I’ll never have her, but at least now I understand how to deal with her.  

• Cool 3

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,480 posts
9,751 battles

I'd maybe buy Paolo for coal, but RP?

image.jpg

And as always, thanks for the review!

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

I had some very high hopes for this after the first previews came out BUT.....WG ditched everything I found great about her and came up with this abomination.  

I honestly feel she is a meme ship designed for those players who are very bored with the game and need a new gimmick to keep their interest for a few hours longer.  For the rest of us, she is garbage and she won't even be helpful on a team because she brings nothing to the table except the occasional yolo run to kill and enemy BB.  I mean lets face it, she can't scout or cap with that detection range and her guns aren't good enough to actually run and gun, not with any real game altering effectiveness anyway.  Additionally her playstyle just means that those playing her are going to do risky things to set up those yolo runs and will probably fail at it 9 times out of 10 which will result in them being useless to the team.

• Cool 2

[DOG]
Members
1,217 posts
12,624 battles

A pity it's locked behind a RB wall.  While it might be fun to play around with just because it's different and weird, I can't see it being a ship I'd play every day.  The grind is just not worth it for a curiosity.

[SALVO]
Members
4,522 posts
20,818 battles

@LittleWhiteMouse

63fbbe8c394bbf9aa9e4afd5bcdb2f07.thumb.jpg.b4f163a7efa07cae93056f73bb6cd339.jpg

well might just have to get it just for the fun of it.

Thanks as always, now I know what to kind of expect with it for the investment.

Edited by SilverPhatShips

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,815 posts
15,397 battles

I don't think she's very good, and worse I find her very boring. The ship has very little to do when her consumables are on cooldown, and the cooldowns are long. 

So far I've had three games, the reds have kited in all of them so the ship was particularly ineffectual. That was with 'good' carrier free matchmaking too. 

• Cool 3

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,784 posts
5,099 battles
2 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

This sounds like a big fat case of:
135.png

Khabarovsk was inspired by an Italian design.  What came after does not negate that.

You are saying armored destroyers are an Italian thing. No they are not. Look at all the Regia Marina destroyers and possible projects for destroyers that we know of. The ultimate expression of which, which Lesta tried a little maskirova to hide the provenance of this ship, show no such features. Splinter protection is not the same as armored to be proof against a certain caliber of rifle.  Why is it so hard to admit this is a fever dream of Lesta’s? Did the modern destroyer program get its genesis from Italian designs? Yes. These impossible designs? No.

And before you decide to die on this hill there is a quote from Phoenix in this forum you should review first. Engage in some semantics to save face if you must. 

With that I leave this thread alone. 

• Boring 4

[--K--]
Supertester
1,396 posts
13,124 battles
1 hour ago, SilverPhatShips said:

@LittleWhiteMouse

63fbbe8c394bbf9aa9e4afd5bcdb2f07.thumb.jpg.b4f163a7efa07cae93056f73bb6cd339.jpg

well might just have to get it just for the fun of it.

Thanks as always, now I know what to kind of expect with it for the investment.

Let me know when you do, I'll play another dd to fix those refrigerator problems :p

• Funny 1

Members
1,106 posts
12,142 battles
25 minutes ago, SparvieroVV said:

You are saying armored destroyers are an Italian thing. No they are not. Look at all the Regia Marina destroyers and possible projects for destroyers that we know of. The ultimate expression of which, which Lesta tried a little maskirova to hide the provenance of this ship, show no such features. Splinter protection is not the same as armored to be proof against a certain caliber of rifle.  Why is it so hard to admit this is a fever dream of Lesta’s? Did the modern destroyer program get its genesis from Italian designs? Yes. These impossible designs? No.

And before you decide to die on this hill there is a quote from Phoenix in this forum you should review first. Engage in some semantics to save face if you must. 

With that I leave this thread alone. 

Just curious, but did you know your avatar disappeared?  What happened to the red devil?

Members
1,106 posts
12,142 battles

Hmmmmmm.   This also crusty-old-"Molotov is love, Molotov is life" veteran, is intrigued by the difficulty level.  On the one hand, this will put my skills to the test (like training in 100x gravity) and see how far I've come along as a captain.  But on the other hand, I could be faced with a Neustrashimy situation where the ship is just that unpopular (for good reason), thereby losing out on other meaningful purchases for a long time.  Brightside...I get to sing a favorite song of mine that goes with the name.

Not sure if you should put up how to earn this ship, but I'm not on WOWS much so I'm out of the loop on purchasing it (don't worry, I'll google it).  That aside, great article Peanut Butter Princess.  Lert, if your reading this, I wanna know what the hell was going through your head when she asked your for another way to say "Detection."

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,571 posts
4,223 battles

My favorite quote I've heard about Paolo is "there's not much stopping her from becoming a terminal cruise missile."

And while I don't like the fact that I have to start on the RB to get her (congrats WG, you made do the RB), I do think it's actually a wise choice. Most players would just throw the ship away in killing one ship AND people would learn to counter it. Keeping it in the RB will hopefully keep it rarer, allowing it to be a bit of surprise and hopefully having mostly competent players.

And if they do T9 3v3 Ranked Sprint again this thing will be hilarious...

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,324 posts
10,458 battles
1 hour ago, SinqueScheiDeMona said:

You are saying armored destroyers are an Italian thing.

No, I am not.  I am saying that Khabarovsk (and other comparable, high-tier Soviet destroyers) shows her Italian design pedigree when you compare her to Paolo Emilio.  No more, no less.

• Cool 1

[BBICT]
Members
3,886 posts
4,243 battles

Wow what a crazy mixed up little big ship . I would have no idea where to start in her to be honest. I can YOLOOOOoooo with the best of them, but that doesn't win a ton of games. I am curious as to how well she sells. Research points are hard to come by unless you are hardcore, and there seems to be better choices, or at least ones that are not a one trick pony.

Odd thought for the day: Is the Kit Kat supposed to be a hard counter for this thing? "Wait, what are you talking about Onion man?!?" Picture this:

Oh look, that's a nice high speed angry smokescreen heading toward my BBs...it would be a shame if I sent 20 torps into it...:Smile_ohmy:

But yeah, to much radar and hydro at tier 9 for her to be her best.

But thanks for all you do Mouse!!:Smile_medal:

Members
1,106 posts
12,142 battles
2 minutes ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

unless you are hardcore,

"I used to be 'hardcore', but then they changed what 'hardcore' was.  Now what I'm with isn't 'hardcore' anymore, and what's 'hardcore' seems weird and scary."

"It'll happen to you!"

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,769 posts
20,226 battles
4 hours ago, Airglide2 said:

Lert, if your reading this, I wanna know what the hell was going through your head when she asked your for another way to say "Detection."

She caught me a bit off guard with her question so I just said the first thing that came to mind that was obviously wrong to give myself a moment to think.

Mouse: I need a shorter term than "Vision Control" -- one word preferably so that it fits in the vertical summary pictures.
Lert: Refrigerator.
Mouse: Synonymous to it, smarty pants.
Lert: Oh.

From 'premium ship review Musashi'.

Just 'detection' or 'stealth' doesn't quite cover it, as 'vision control' doesn't just mean how visible or sneaky the ship itself is, but how well it can see other ships too by ways of like hydro, radar, etc. So until someone comes up with a better term, 'Refrigerator' it is.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1