You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CheezWeez

WoWs on Mac

31 comments in this topic

[YETI]
Members
23 posts
1,638 battles

They're removing WoWs on Mac, and I know WoWs doesn't function well on Mac anyway, but I still wanna play the game. I don't wanna pay $5 a month for GeForce, and the free membership is trash. Anyone got ideas on what the hell to do? (I only have a Mac OSx btw)

• Sad 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,301 posts

Buy a PC? :Smile_hiding:

A PC powerful enough to run WoWs is going to be reasonably cheap.  WoWs is not at all a hardware demanding game.  My laptop I use on the go once in a while has an old 970 mobile in it, which is now an almost 7 year old card, it still runs the game great on medium to highish settings.  I imagine it's probably worth about $200-$300 used at this point.

Not to mention that it would really open up your gaming options vs a mac.

• Cool 1

Members
3,354 posts
17,087 battles
37 minutes ago, CheezWeez said:

They're removing WoWs on Mac, and I know WoWs doesn't function well on Mac anyway, but I still wanna play the game. I don't wanna pay $5 a month for GeForce, and the free membership is trash. Anyone got ideas on what the hell to do? (I only have a Mac OSx btw)

So when you play on your Mac is that "Mac and Cheese"?   (drum roll)

[SYN]
Members
15,880 posts
12,803 battles

You can play WoWs Blitz on iOS/Android, although I don't think you can transfer anything from the PC version.

If you want to play the PC version, buy a PC. A desktop, including a monitor that can play WoWs is most likely going to be cheaper than the cheapest macbook air.

[VORTX]
Members
472 posts
6,844 battles
1 hour ago, CheezWeez said:

I am pretty annoyed at the whole thing. Its not end of the world, I could use a forced break from the game but well see. 

One option might be to build a duel boot on your mac depending on what you are running. Windows runs really stable on macs. I am running a maxed out 2012 mac pro tower setup with windows on a partitioned drive. When I am booting up I have the option of which drive I'd like to boot from. Its not too complicated to setup and there are plenty of web pages out there to give you instructions. I keep it in case I get to the day where I hate mac more than windows or need to switch systems for work at some point. I've updated it periodically so its an option for me. I would really prefer not to, but there it is. The other options are pretty crap-tacular. 

Edited by Fifi_Macaffee

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,343 posts
13,470 battles

The only reason it ever had Mac client was coincidence. Current Macs happen to use the same CPUs as Windows. And there are tools that translate Windows API calls to Mac ones (WINE). So it didn't take much effort for WG to get it sort of working on Mac. The just repackaged the existing binaries and had it run in the translator.

Apple's macOS security measure has been ramping up for quite some time and it makes such translator harder and harder to work in every new OS release. No one is going to invest the money to make them work the way Apple wants just to gain a very small number of customers.

And then there's the ARM switch coming soon. That makes the convenient repacking of existing code impossible. WG has to actually port the game to a new CPU on a entirely different OS. There's also no Direct3D on Mac.

Get a PC or use cloud gaming service. Playing games on Mac natively has always been sketchy. You chose the platform. This is part of your "privileges."

• Cool 1

[NONE]
Members
3,757 posts

You could just skip all the wrapper and emulator overhead and just run a 64-bit x86 virtual machine. Install Windows and Bob's your uncle.

• Cool 2

[DAZE]
Members
4 posts
995 battles

I'm in the same boat.  Oh well, no more World of Warships for me.  The most disappointing thing is I actually kinda got into it for the subs.  Got to play the last test was looking forward to more and now I'll probably be done forever.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,765 posts
5,406 battles

In other words you don't wanna spend 300 dollars after tax for any of the wal mart windows laptops to play the game?

Talk about tight fisted. How ironic.

• Meh 2

[GCCN]
[GCCN]
Members
27 posts
4,360 battles

I'm pretty annoyed at this as well.  I've spent a small but not insignificant amount of money on this game, and now I will no longer be able to play without purchasing a whole new platform or dual booting.   

Edited by mikebiang

[GCCN]
[GCCN]
Members
27 posts
4,360 battles
1 minute ago, mikebiang said:

I'm pretty annoyed at this as well.  I've spent a small but not insignificant amount of money on this game, and now I will no longer be able to play without purchasing a whole new platform or dual booting.   Very disappointing WG.

And I should say, I totally get the technically issues involved with supporting Macs.   Just a bummer of an announcement to see this morning.

Edited by mikebiang

[SNGNS]
Members
588 posts
6,853 battles

i do love all the people who go "just buy a pc, lol." for some people, 300 is not nothing.

for running wows on mac, i think the best idea may be to try and run a virtual machine or bootcamp, sadly i have no clue how that works as im a proud pc noob.

[AMIK]
Members
67 posts
5,625 battles

Yeah, for some of us $300 is a hell of a lot of money.

I use a Mac because of work needs, nothing more, nothing less.    The change form Win 7 to Win 10 pretty much forced me into a Mac.

Five years playing WOW, now this.   Thanks for nothing WG.  :(

• Thanks 1

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
5 minutes ago, maiingun said:

I use a Mac because of work needs, nothing more, nothing less.    The change form Win 7 to Win 10 pretty much forced me into a Mac.

This is not all of a sudden they have spoken of this for a very long time.

• Cool 1

[GCCN]
[GCCN]
Members
27 posts
4,360 battles
16 hours ago, Vaffu said:

This is not all of a sudden they have spoken of this for a very long time.

Ahh I see so we probably shouldn't have spent all that money on premiums then :).    They warned us.

[BB35]
Members
116 posts
20,793 battles

Honestly the best and least expensive option is boot camp if you don’t want to replace the Mac or buy a another computer. Windows keys can be had for not a lot of money.  The downside is if you’ve got a Mac with a smaller ssd (256gb or less) you probably don’t have this option.  I would not recommend running it in a windows vm under macOS.

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
18 minutes ago, mikebiang said:

Ahh I see so we probably shouldn't have spent all that money on premiums then :).    They warned us.

That would have made sense.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,310 posts
6,380 battles
On 10/2/2020 at 6:36 PM, CheezWeez said:

Oink. I'm detecting the Noobist in you. Goltz.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[A-D-F]
8,301 posts
On 10/2/2020 at 3:05 PM, TobTorp said:

i do love all the people who go "just buy a pc, lol." for some people, 300 is not nothing.

for running wows on mac, i think the best idea may be to try and run a virtual machine or bootcamp, sadly i have no clue how that works as im a proud pc noob.

On 10/2/2020 at 3:59 PM, maiingun said:

Computer gaming costs money.  No matter what, given enough time, you were going to have to spend money to keep up with the progress of video games as the games become more demanding.  There is no getting around that everyone's initial investment will need to be replaced with a new one, eventually.

Nothing lasts forever.

[SNGNS]
Members
588 posts
6,853 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

Computer gaming costs money.  No matter what, given enough time, you were going to have to spend money to keep up with the progress of video games as the games become more demanding.  There is no getting around that everyone's initial investment will need to be replaced with a new one, eventually.

...yeah, but buying another machine just for gaming is sometimes not fiscally viable. having one pc for everyday use is something most can get behind. getting another one just for one particular use is maybe too much already.

[A-D-F]
8,301 posts
3 minutes ago, TobTorp said:

...yeah, but buying another machine just for gaming is sometimes not fiscally viable. having one pc for everyday use is something most can get behind. getting another one just for one particular use is maybe too much already.

It is easily possible to dual boot and use the same machine for both operating systems.

[SNGNS]
Members
588 posts
6,853 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It is easily possible to dual boot and use the same machine for both operating systems.

...yes, that was what i had written...

[A-D-F]
8,301 posts
11 minutes ago, TobTorp said:

...yes, that was what i had written...

Yes, I understand.  My point was that I would do it the other way around and run Window's natively, as a gamer.