You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

Florida Man - a short review

66 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,593 posts
7,430 battles

TIER 7 USN - Fast Battleship Florida

image.thumb.png.c9c70c8cb75ff568bd3b643672fd8dc4.png

My Loadout:

I built for range and maneuverability - as you always should

image.png.c8d12f5170b9d627e119dadfd8ff20e2.png

Artillery:

image.png.88f84dcec108f07846932f378fa77b29.png

Pros:

• 12 guns - 14 inch
  • Stupid accurate broadsides
  • Rear turret is in good position to land full salvos
  • Fantastic HE - which can citadel those paper thin cruisers running amock
  • 24% percent fire chance (this is without flags and demo)

Cons:

• 33 second reload - adren rush a must
  • 14 inch guns (the bigger guys can bounce you)

Speed:

image.png.ecbfc1180d0d0d9dcc71804bf080ab97.png

• I'm faster than most ships I will face
  • I can turn and avoid torps
  • I can reposition around the map when needed quickly

Armor:

image.thumb.png.ba06efbc76826fb03178ccf8ca299bc6.png

BOW TANKING IS A LAST RESORT

I can angle the boat pretty well and bounce, which IMHO is pretty easy to do with the speed.

The very bad:

You see that orange? That is your citadel...see how the deck is pretty open. AP bombers will feast on you. This is almost German deck bad.

image.thumb.png.0843c84f4b269252bde783720b14c730.png

Playstyle:

I built my Florida for speed and accuracy. She's not someone who should be bow tanking, as she'll eat 16 through the nose as I found out. She is basically a Tier 7 super cruiser, she zips around the map taking shots of opportunity at people with tunnel vision and who are too slow to correct. I exploited this on many ships at or above my tier. In the three games so far, I found she is the direct opposite of California. Her armor scheme will stop most shells, barring 14 inch on up...so don't get hit in the side if you can. 

Overall:

For the 40 dollar price tag, I found Florida to be worth it IMHO. She's an NC at tier 7 with smaller/more guns. You can do some insane things with it given a cool head and situational awareness. The secondaries as with all USN boats are trash, but with the rework coming I imagine this will get better. The range is so low on it, it's not worth the investment. Let the 14 inch rifles do the talking, and watch the dev strikes on cruisers/dd roll in. 

BUY THIS BOAT

image.thumb.png.d4e7897d0da0b7acbeed9d439ba9ec6a.png

• Cool 8
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 6

[-TKS-]
Members
1,333 posts
13,271 battles

Don’t have the ship yet, but heavily considering purchasing. I’ve noticed people panning it for being overmatched, but I think that comes down to people not playing it right. I’m seeing posts saying the US BB’s strength is going bow on. I have NO idea where this notion came from. Tier VIII and beyond, a US BB’s strength is it’s ability to relocate and stay mobile. A bow on BB in today’s meta is just asking for HE spam, and on a lot of cases, AP spam. Florida allows for a mobile play style at the detriment of being squishy. Reminds me of the USN BB line prior to their citadels being submerged. I’ll give it some more time and thought but for now... it seems enticing.

[SALVO]
6,593 posts
7,430 battles

The accuracy of the guns, with the spotter plane, makes those HE spammers afraid of you. I've popped cruisers doing the island farming nonsense in Cali...and Florida does it just the same - if not better.

• Boring 2

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles
1 minute ago, Usedcarjock said:

Don’t have the ship yet, but heavily considering purchasing. I’ve noticed people panning it for being overmatched, but I think that comes down to people not playing it right. I’m seeing posts saying the US BB’s strength is going bow on. I have NO idea where this notion came from. Tier VIII and beyond, a US BB’s strength is it’s ability to relocate and stay mobile. A bow on BB in today’s meta is just asking for HE spam, and on a lot of cases, AP spam. Florida allows for a mobile play style at the detriment of being squishy. Reminds me of the USN BB line prior to their citadels being submerged. I’ll give it some more time and thought but for now... it seems enticing.

i'm too thinking about it but at the same time,i just got a ps4 and i'm thinking about so many games to buy with the money i would use for florida.

• Cool 1

Members
1,155 posts
12,294 battles

Like a NC my a**.  She looks like one but isnt, not even close (within gameplay context).

Edited by Airglide2
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[SALVO]
6,593 posts
7,430 battles
1 minute ago, CHAOS_in_the_N1GHT said:

Waiting to see what LittleWhiteMouse thinks of Florida and new US BBs.

I asked her that this morning, she's far behind on other reviews. 

• Cool 1
  • Sad 1

[BUOY]
Members
2,136 posts
21,725 battles

Also note: the Flordia is available from the Premium Shop directly for $40 here https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/vehicles/15986/

so unless you REALLY want the Eagle camo for her and/or are going for the T9/10 Permas, you're paying a LOT less than you will be getting her through the sequential bundles even if you earn all the grindable tokens possible.

• Cool 2

[-TKS-]
Members
1,333 posts
13,271 battles
Just now, Cruxdei said:

i'm too thinking about it but at the same time,i just got a ps4 and i'm thinking about so many games to buy with the money i would use for florida.

Ace Combat 7. SALVATION!

Nah but really Florida will probably be added to the store permanently so no sweat about making a swift purchase... I think.

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,320 posts

This ship has the Slava gimmick the farther away you are the tighter your dispersion I am citting cruisers at near 20km  

Edited by Triela50

[SALVO]
6,593 posts
7,430 battles
1 minute ago, lloyd1701 said:

Also note: the Flordia is available from the Premium Shop directly for $40 here https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/vehicles/15986/

so unless you REALLY want the Eagle camo for her and/or are going for the T9/10 Permas, you're paying a LOT less than you will be getting her through the sequential bundles even if you earn all the grindable tokens possible.

That was my logic, I also needed a trainer for a USN BB Fast Battleship. 

My Vermont CO is on the Cali, my Montana CO is on the Florida.

Members
1,155 posts
12,294 battles
2 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I asked her that this morning, she's far behind on other reviews. 

Neustrishimi review when?

1 minute ago, Usedcarjock said:

Ace Combat 7. SALVATION!

Nah but really Florida will probably be added to the store permanently so no sweat about making a swift purchase... I think.

Except Multiplayer.  Where your twirling around endlessly.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,333 posts
13,271 battles
2 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

Except Multiplayer.  Where your twirling around endlessly.

Just use F-4E memes with SASMs. Cowboy Squadron style.

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles
13 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

BUY THIS BOAT

I seriously considered it, but then Carbine Carlito started running a giveaway on YouTube so I'd rather try to win her first. 

8 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

My Vermont CO is on the Cali,

I'd have thought WV41 was a better match given the gun calibre. Or are you going for a ship that sees more of the same tiers that Vermont would encounter?

7 minutes ago, CHAOS_in_the_N1GHT said:

I'm almost hoping she comes to the opposite conclusion as Venture. Not that I think it would make either of them right or wrong; I just want to see a couple of opposing opinions in writing.

3 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

Neustrishimi review when?

Watch @Destroyer_KuroshioKai's YouTube vids on her to learn everything about her you will ever need to know.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
6,593 posts
7,430 battles
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I seriously considered it, but then Carbine Carlito started running a giveaway on YouTube so I'd rather try to win her first. 

I'd have thought WV41 was a better match given the gun calibre. Or are you going for a ship that sees more of the same tiers that Vermont would encounter?

I'm almost hoping she comes to the opposite conclusion as Venture. Not that I think it would make either of them right or wrong; I just want to see a couple of opposing opinions in writing.

Watch @Destroyer_KuroshioKai's YouTube vids on her to learn everything about her you will ever need to know.

WV41 is a good match, but the thic/slow playstyle with the longer reload is right on the money with Vermont. Cali has fantastic striking potential, as does Vermont. 

If she does, she does. Her and I differ greatly when it comes to California...she hates it...I absolutely love it. 

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Venture said:

WV41 is a good match, but the thic/slow playstyle with the longer reload is right on the money with Vermont.

Ah! So that's the reason. Good point.

Members
1,155 posts
12,294 battles
16 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It’s just personal preference to hear what she has to say about the ship.  

From the peanut butter princess herself! 😆

• Boring 1

Members
1,377 posts
42 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

A bow on BB in today’s meta is just asking for HE spam, and on a lot of cases, AP spam.

US BBs utilize islands just like US CAs do, and the 32 mm bow on ships from tier 8 and above ensures that you'll bounce all but Yamato, Musashi, and Shikishima's AP shells.

You'll get HE spammed as a BB no matter how often you relocate or how mobile you are, especially at high tiers, where your low concealment would just be exploited by HE spammers left and right.

• Cool 2

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,284 battles
18 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Her and I differ greatly when it comes to California...she hates it...I absolutely love it. 

So I’m not the only one who frequently gets a negative first impression from ships that I eventually grow to like? :Smile_veryhappy:

A391C467-D2F0-4C4A-ADB0-A15A8156DC72.png

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[SVF]
Members
2,893 posts
2,776 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

Pros:

• 12 guns - 14 inch
  • Stupid accurate broadsides
  • Rear turret is in good position to land full salvos
  • Fantastic HE - which can citadel those paper thin cruisers running amock
  • 24% percent fire chance (this is without flags and demo)

I'm unsure how you came to the conclusion that Florida's HE is "fantastic".  It has the standard 1/6 caliber penetration (in this case that means ~59mm) and slightly lower than usual damage for USN 356mm HE (4750 compared to the normal 5k).  As for the fire chance?  24% is most definitely not a Pro.  It is actually quite low for 356mm, seeing as how all other USN BBs armed with 356mm shells have a 30% fire chance.  Alaska and PR's 305mm HE have a 27% fire chance, *Wyoming's* much older 305mm HE has a 23% chance.  So, no, Florida's HE is quite poor for what it is.

Edited by landcollector
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[SALVO]
6,593 posts
7,430 battles
2 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

So I’m not the only one who frequently gets a negative first impression from ships that I eventually grow to like? :Smile_veryhappy:

Pretty much

Members
1,377 posts
3 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Knowing a ship's weakness is way more important than knowing her strength. There's nothing wrong with holding a critical attitude initially.

Edited by Singularity_invader

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,608 posts
5,065 battles
49 minutes ago, CHAOS_in_the_N1GHT said:

They are two different animals, and she won't review the tech tree ones anyway.  I too am interested in what she has to say about Florida.  She tempts me.

• Cool 5

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,284 battles
7 minutes ago, Singularity_invader said:

Knowing a ship's weakness is way more important than knowing her strength. There's nothing wrong with holding a critical attitude initially.

For sure, I wasn’t being perjorative by pointing it out. I literally do the exact same thing.