Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CaptainZade_NA

For My First High Tier Premium Ship...

108 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

22
[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles

     Which one should I get? I feel like I can take on high tiers well already, after all I'm on the Iowa already and the Iowa was fun. I really wanted a premium version but it looks like I can't get the Missouri anymore, but I see that there are other options in the premium store and most of the high tier ships look good but I just don't know if I'm actually ready and which one to pick. Check my stats if you have to, I'm perfectly fine with it, as long as I can get an answer I'll be grateful!

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,359
[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,265 posts
22,222 battles

If you don't know if you're ready then you are not ready. Stick to tech trees until you unlock your first tier 10

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,229
[ARGSY]
Members
22,351 posts
16,264 battles
11 minutes ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

Which one should I get?

None of them, yet.

IMHO you need at least a thousand battles under your belt across multiple ship types and lines before you consider going shopping. Until then, there are quite a few mid tier coal premium and one relatively inexpensive FXP premium (Nelson) for the having.

I know you are saving up for the Salem, but some of the mid-tier stuff is worth a look.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
733
[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles
7 minutes ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

     Which one should I get? I feel like I can take on high tiers well already, after all I'm on the Iowa already and the Iowa was fun. I really wanted a premium version but it looks like I can't get the Missouri anymore, but I see that there are other options in the premium store and most of the high tier ships look good but I just don't know if I'm actually ready and which one to pick. Check my stats if you have to, I'm perfectly fine with it, as long as I can get an answer I'll be grateful!

Massachusetts is the stronger tier 8 American battleship but Alabama fits more of the same style as Iowa..better concealment than the Massachusetts..slightly more accurate.....like i said Massachusetts is the stronger ship but Alabama is nice also and is similar to the Iowa...My Youtube channel Meta_Man2002 has an Alabama and Massachusetts comparison video...please subscribe if you find the video helpful..good luck on making a choice. 

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

None of them, yet.

You need at least a thousand battles under your belt before you consider going shopping. Until then, there are plenty of coal premiums for the having (I know you are saving up for the Salem, but some of the mid-tier stuff is worth a look).

     A thousand battles? Geez I guess I'll have to get a new PC faster somehow and I'll see you all in a few months. Oh and also, I did see that I can get the Oktyabrskaya already with the coupon, what about that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
576
[WOLFG]
Members
1,006 posts
12 minutes ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

     Which one should I get? I feel like I can take on high tiers well already, after all I'm on the Iowa already and the Iowa was fun. I really wanted a premium version but it looks like I can't get the Missouri anymore, but I see that there are other options in the premium store and most of the high tier ships look good but I just don't know if I'm actually ready and which one to pick. Check my stats if you have to, I'm perfectly fine with it, as long as I can get an answer I'll be grateful!

They are all great!  Buy any of them.  Go into tier ten Randoms and rush in and kill those Reds!  Don't worry about having any experience in  tier ten.  You can  learn as you go!

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles
2 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

Massachusetts is the stronger tier 8 American battleship but Alabama fits more of the same style as Iowa..better concealment than the Massachusetts..slightly more accurate.....like i said Massachusetts is the stronger ship but Alabama is nice also and is similar to the Iowa...My Youtube channel Meta_Man2002 has an Alabama and Massachusetts comparison video...please subscribe if you find the video helpful..good luck on making a choice. 

Oh I heard that the Massachussetts is really great but it needs a 19 skill point captain to perform effectively and I don't really have any of those so maybe I'll consider the Alabama then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,106 posts
12,142 battles
10 minutes ago, Triela50 said:

If you don't know if you're ready then you are not ready. Stick to tech trees until you unlock your first tier 10

I half agree with you.  It sounds like he’s not ready, he should have some idea what class he’s good at.  However he shouldn’t have to wait till T10.  I got my first Premium at T7-8 (granted back then Atlanta was the only Cruiser available but that’s neither here nor there).  

Edited by Airglide2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67
[VAST_]
Members
146 posts
4,617 battles

If you want a premium BB I would honestly start with Warspite or maybe WV unless you have already spent some time in the BBQ pit that is Tier 8-10.

Cheers

Edit: missed where you said you did fine w Iowa. So never mind  Happy shopping

 

Edited by CapnCazuul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,972
[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,167 posts
22,715 battles
2 minutes ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

     A thousand battles? Geez I guess I'll have to get a new PC faster somehow and I'll see you all in a few months. Oh and also, I did see that I can get the Oktyabrskaya already with the coupon, what about that?

A thousand battles is a "rule of thumb" for some. Others would say a couple of hundred, or 500. I bought Warspite when I first started playing this game at the start of open beta in July 2015. I did not do well with her and that was because I really didn't know what I was doing. She is my only BB that has a sub-50% win rate and that was because I wasn't ready for her. Get that high tier premium when you want to but, if you find yourself having trouble, make her a port queen and get back to low/mid tiers for more experience.

It's your money so spend it however you want to to have fun. This is a game meant to be entertaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles
Just now, CapnCazuul said:

If you want a premium BB I would honestly start with Warspite or maybe WV unless you have already spent some time in the BBQ pit that is Tier 8-10.

Cheers

 

     I mean, I've already got Warspite and it's very fun to play, and I rushed the US BB line, stuck with the Iowa and it's becoming my favorite US BB by far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,229
[ARGSY]
Members
22,351 posts
16,264 battles
4 minutes ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

I did see that I can get the Oktyabrskaya already with the coupon, what about that?

Go up the Russian BB line as far as the Izmail. If that entertains you, consider the Okt.

If you want to shortcut the process, download the Public Test client when that's next in session and you can try out pretty much any tech-tree ship you want. OktRev, Gangut and Izmail are all more or less based on the same historical ship.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67
[VAST_]
Members
146 posts
4,617 battles
1 minute ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

     I mean, I've already got Warspite and it's very fun to play, and I rushed the US BB line, stuck with the Iowa and it's becoming my favorite US BB by far!

Sorry you beat me to response before I had chance to edit my post. Saw after I posted that I had missed where you have Iowa already. If you have done well w that why not continue w the USN and get Georgia. Although I don't have that one but it might be my next acquisition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles
2 minutes ago, CapnCazuul said:

Sorry you beat me to response before I had chance to edit my post. Saw after I posted that I had missed where you have Iowa already. If you have done well w that why not continue w the USN and get Georgia. Although I don't have that one but it might be my next acquisition.

    I do like the 457mm guns that Georgia has but I'm not too comfortable with the fact that it has 6 guns only, plus people say it's very easy to make mistakes on it so I'm very hesitant on getting it, so maybe I should just get Iowa's permanent camo?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
733
[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles
26 minutes ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

Oh I heard that the Massachussetts is really great but it needs a 19 skill point captain to perform effectively and I don't really have any of those so maybe I'll consider the Alabama then?

Checkout my video I explain the differences and style that Alabama plays,good luck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,252
[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
20 minutes ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

     Which one should I get? I feel like I can take on high tiers well already, after all I'm on the Iowa already and the Iowa was fun. I really wanted a premium version but it looks like I can't get the Missouri anymore, but I see that there are other options in the premium store and most of the high tier ships look good but I just don't know if I'm actually ready and which one to pick. Check my stats if you have to, I'm perfectly fine with it, as long as I can get an answer I'll be grateful!

Alabama, Massachusetts and Georgia come to mind if you like USN BBs.  I actually enjoy playing my Alabama more than my Missouri if I have to be honest and it doesn't need a special captain.  Still if I was buying now, I would probably buy either the Mass or the Georgia over the Alabama and just work up a captain for them.  Honestly, not having a 19 point captain on either the Mass or Georgia just means you can't take advantage of the secondaries as much which just makes them more like the tech tree USN BBs in that regard.

Oh as far as all the people telling you not to buy one.....they is horse hockey.    There unfortunately is a bit of elitism going on in this game and many people don't think your good enough to play with them until you have thousands of battles.   To be fair there are a ton of Potatoes (low skilled players) playing the high tiers and it can be frustrating when they are on your team so I get WHY people don't want you to buy a high tiered premium if you don't have a lot of experience but at the end of the day the whole point of this game is that YOU have fun.  If running around in a high tiered premium is fun for you, do it.

One thing I will say though is buying a premium is risky for you if you don't have a huge amount of experience.  What I mean is, I have a ton of premiums that I just outright do not enjoy playing and there is no way to know that until you actually get the ship. WG doesn't really allow you to test drive any of them and even if they did, many require a 10 point captain to really show off what they can do.  If you like the Iowa, any of the BBs I mentioned above will probably be just as enjoyable as the Iowa even without a 19 point captain and potentially better when you do get that 19 point captain so they are pretty safe, however you go with a Warspite, it plays nothing like an Iowa and you might hate it because of those differences.  However if you  had played a lot and also played the Tech Tree Queen Elizabeth, and enjoyed that, then you will love the Warspite.  Basically, having a lot of experience with many different ships allows you to select a premium based on the characteristics you enjoy out of a ship.  Without that experience, your taking a big risk that you will spend money and regret what you bought.  Just something to think about.

As far as other premium BBs to consider.

-Scharnhorst - Probably one of my favorite ships in the game, hell I think it is probably my number 1 favorite to be honest  butonly 11 inch guns so more like a Super Cruiser with BB armor than a actual BB.

-Arizona -  A very fun ship similar to New Mexico but better in every way in my opinion.

-Tirpitz - Very enjoyable German BB with Torps, but VERY, VERY different than USN BBs

-Pommern - Don't have this one but everyone who does seems to rave about it.  This is a pure brawler so again very different than USN BB.

-Georgia - Mentioned her above.  I don't have her but I don't know anyone who does have her that doesn't love her.

-Lenin - Russian version of the Nelson.  Very different playstyle than USN BBs and some people can't get good with it but for those it clicks with it can be a beast.

But aside from the Georgia, the are not "Safe" bets that your going to enjoy the playstyle required because you don't have experience with similar ships.

Anyway, again, buy a premium.  They are a lot of fun, great for earning credits when you run short and can be great for training captains if you plan out what you want to focus on.  

 

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
831
[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
2 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

Alabama, Massachusetts and Georgia come to mind if you like USN BBs.  I actually enjoy playing my Alabama more than my Missouri if I have to be honest and it doesn't need a special captain.  Still if I was buying now, I would probably buy either the Mass or the Georgia over the Alabama and just work up a captain for them.  Honestly, not having a 19 point captain on either the Mass or Georgia just means you can't take advantage of the secondaries as much which just makes them more like the tech tree USN BBs in that regard.

I'd second this.

Georgia is probably the closest to a premium Iowa you can get without having Missouri. Whether you want to buy it or not is a thing that you need to consider.
If your already at Iowa, I see no reason why you shouldn''t buy a Georgia if you want one etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,252
[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
18 minutes ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

    I do like the 457mm guns that Georgia has but I'm not too comfortable with the fact that it has 6 guns only, plus people say it's very easy to make mistakes on it so I'm very hesitant on getting it, so maybe I should just get Iowa's permanent camo?

It is easy to over-extend on a Georgia because it is so fast.  That is the mistake people make.  It has a base speed of like 33 knots which is 3-4 knots faster than most BBs and with the speed boost consumable and speed flag can damn near reach 40 knots.  This causes many people to rush so far ahead that they become the focus of enemy fire and they die.

My advice, go to youtube and watch videos on all the premium ships your considering.  Look for reviews but be a bit wary of those marked WIP (work in progress) because many times things change.  Try to find final impressions and such.   The opinions of these youtubers can be a bit baised, for example, Flamu is a very competitive player so his critiques tend to reflect how the ship performs from a competitive standpoint, often entirely neglecting the fun factor.  No Zoup for you, is pretty good because he tends to give you perspective from all points and another good, balanced yourtuber is Notser.  

As far as the permanent camo, don't unless you just have money to spare.  All it is going to do is make it cheaper to run the Iowa so you can earn a bit more silver.  A premium allows for so much more and will make so much more silver as well.   The only time to buy permanent camo in my opinion is if you love a ship so much you never intend to play anything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles
1 minute ago, Midnitewolf said:

It is easy to over-extend on a Georgia because it is so fast.  That is the mistake people make.  It has a base speed of like 33 knots which is 3-4 knots faster than most BBs and with the speed boost consumable and speed flag can damn near reach 40 knots.  This causes many people to rush so far ahead that they become the focus of enemy fire and they die.

My advice, go to youtube and watch videos on all the premium ships your considering.  Look for reviews but be a bit wary of those marked WIP (work in progress) because many times things change.  Try to find final impressions and such.   The opinions of these youtubers can be a bit baised, for example, Flamu is a very competitive player so his critiques tend to reflect how the ship performs from a competitive standpoint, often entirely neglecting the fun factor.  No Zoup for you, is pretty good because he tends to give you perspective from all points and another good, balanced yourtuber is Notser.  

As far as the permanent camo, don't unless you just have money to spare.  All it is going to do is make it cheaper to run the Iowa so you can earn a bit more silver.  A premium allows for so much more and will make so much more silver as well.   The only time to buy permanent camo in my opinion is if you love a ship so much you never intend to play anything else. 

     Thanks for the advice, I just wish that there'll be a premium version of the Iowa but I'll definitely watch some videos about the Georgia then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles
4 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

The correct answer seems to be Massachusetts. Enjoy!

     Sorry but I'm not really into that ship, it seems for me that it relies mostly on its secondaries and not the main guns which I don't really like, but thanks anyway, you were helpful for me at least!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,728
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,173 posts
4,766 battles
1 hour ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

Which one should I get?

NONE.  Not yet. 

Play 100 games each in cruisers and destroyers and another nation's BBs.  Then think about it. 

If the money is just burning a hole in your pocket, consider Texas, W.Virginia '41, or Arizona.

Also, don't waste your remaining protected games (your first 200) above Tier IV.  Play Random battle in cruisers and DDs until you hit 200.  (Better rewards. )

Edited by iDuckman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,229
[ARGSY]
Members
22,351 posts
16,264 battles
Just now, iDuckman said:

Also, don't waste your remaining protected game (your first 200) above Tier IV. 

He's already way, way above that. Read his first post. He power-ground to the Iowa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,728
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,173 posts
4,766 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

He's already way, way above that. Read his first post. He power-ground to the Iowa.

Look at his battle count - ALL in BBs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,252
[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
Just now, CaptainZade_NA said:

     Thanks for the advice, I just wish that there'll be a premium version of the Iowa but I'll definitely watch some videos about the Georgia then!

I just want to add something for you to think about.

 

Why would you want  to spend real money on a ship that is just a copy of a ship you already have and can play to your hearts content for free?  

 

In my mind, one of the big reasons to buy a premium is to get something different from what you already have.  That is why most premiums come with crazy quirks and gimmicks.  The key in my mind for a first premium would be to try to find something comfortable and familiar enough that you don't have to relearn everything new to accommodate the premium ship, but at the same time be able to get a new experience as well.  

 

As far as the Georgia,  you will be able to run your Iowa captain just fine in her.  The big difference are going to be the fact she has only 6 guns but those guns are highly accurate with dispersion much lower than the Iowa. Basically you have less shells but you will hit with more of them.  The 457mm guns also hit like a truck. They take the already extremely good USN BB AP shells and make them better.  They are a little be slower though so you will have to give a tad bit more lead on your targets.   You will also get the speed boost which can be a huge advantage as it makes the Georgia the fastest BB in the game, able to even outrun most cruisers and quite a few DDs, at least for a few minutes at a time.

What your losing with using the Iowa captain is the excellent secondaries.  Its not like they will be worse than the Iowa's secondaries, in fact they will be slightly better so you won't likely even realize that your missing out of anything as you transition from the Iowa to the Georgia.  However, if you have a captain spec'ed for secondaries and build the upgrades for secondaries, they can reach out to like 11.7 km and are highly accurate which can be very useful and fun.  On the other hand,  many people say that these secondaries are the reason why many people make mistakes with the Georgia and overextend because at its core, Georgia isn't a brawler.  You honestly should probably avoid brawling if you can so you might just find yourself performing better, without building for secondaries.  

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×