You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Tier 6 Premium UK BB Warspite: Admitting your mistakes.

12 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
22,245 posts
16,204 battles

Could I have been the hero of the hour if not so kill-greedy toward the end? Or was it always going to end badly?

I think I screwed up horribly and cost my team the win, and in the vid I discuss what I might have done. See if you agree.

Tagging @Epic_Baller, who was on the other side in this fight.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,272 posts

Appreciate the game, nice to watch. :Smile_honoring:

You mention the CV could have done better, but I can only say he would have been doing the best he/she can (sometimes It just doesn't work out). You also mention the phrase 'luck of the draw' and sometimes that is what it comes down to (good ol luck/RNG).

I would agree with your thoughts on going forward into B, as I think with about 6 mins left on the clock, stopping them getting points from B was the better option - along with having eyes on the London and having an island between you and a CQ battle with the Iron Duke (that you may have had to still do, once the London was finished).

But we all make those choices sometimes - I would have said 'Damn, I could have done better and chose wiser!', then when the game was over, try to do better in the next one. There are 12 people on each side and all make choices throughout the game that affect the outcome. Yes, you can highlight your mistake, but most of your team are already dead. I'm happy you enjoyed the game and took something away from it. :cap_like:

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,179 posts

Okay... you spend a lot of time broadside to known enemy positions. I noticed this from the start of the map. I look for players who do this, try to remember them. IMO I think you had a couple better opportunities to kill some cruisers which were not pursued. IMO. 

You may have done better if you had turned NxNE around that island to support your team mate chasing that single red ship near the end. The two of you could then have cut back south around the island, focusing fire on the Duke hiding behind the island.

One thing I'm sure of... I never count on any type of killing shot anymore when I really, really need it. Can't tell you how many times doing so has cost me my ship - or potentially the game. 

Personally, I'd like to have seen the end of battle recap too. :cap_like: I like knowing how it all panned out. 

Your audio sounded much better in this video. Your videos are much better than they were initially. Keep it up I might have to sub your channel! 

[ARGSY]
Members
22,245 posts
16,204 battles
11 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

You may have done better if you had turned NxNE around that island to support your team mate chasing that single red ship near the end

Can you give me a timestamp for that?

11 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Your videos are much better than they were initially.

In terms of audio/video quality? Yeah, I got myself a much better rig. The older one is okay for playing, and I can stream or do vids if I really, REALLY have to, but I wanted to make sure I was interested in making a solid go of YouTubing and streaming before I spent as much money as I did.

27 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

You mention the CV could have done better,

Is that the bit where I say "And it's a crime and a shame that he didn't [kill the Bayern]"? Yeah, that came off a bit harsh, but I was more trying to express regret at his failure (given the eventual consequences) than blaming him for it. He did indeed do as well as he could in the circumstances. It looked for all the world like he still had another flight to take a further shot with and I was wondering at the time why he didn't take it, but maybe I misinterpreted that.

I do know that in his shoes, I would have grabbed the nearest planes I could (rockets, bombs, anything) and gone back for the Bayern until it was thoroughly dead. Perhaps that coloured my impression of the way he played.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,179 posts
24 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Can you give me a timestamp for that?

Around the 13:13 mark. You lobbed one shot at it then pondered your next move. I think if you'd have pursued both of them you may have survived a bit longer. 

As to the carrier... often muscle memory kicks in before we can intercept it, especially for us, ahem, older players. I know nothing of the player but presume it is quite possible they are trained in the "one drop and leave" attack mode. They may have cursed themselves for hitting the F key, you just never know. 

It's happened to me - and yup, cursed myself. 

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles

Yeah, your problem definitely was at the end there when you pushed around the island and went broadside at point blank to the Iron Duke. You should have just went straight into the cap and pushed around him. Other than that you played a good match. It does suck that the Bayern didn't get finished off earlier, but it's not really fair to blame the CV. He literally had just 1 torp bomber left in that squadron.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,245 posts
16,204 battles
8 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Around the 13:13 mark. You lobbed one shot at it then pondered your next move.

Oh, the red Algerie. Yeah, I neglected to chase him because I didn't want to fall into the supposed trap of multiple ships chasing a doomed cripple.

10 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

It's happened to me - and yup, cursed myself. 

The other thing I've sometimes done is gone to hit D and hit F instead. I really wish they'd move the recall key somewhere else, and I know I'm not alone in that.

[YARRR]
[YARRR]
Members
259 posts
5,471 battles

I'm not really sure you made an error there at the end - you were absolutely in a race to get another kill to strip enough red points to keep the match going. Had you turned out to the northwest with the Sinop you would have survived, but your Texas badly misplayed by pushing out to where I could get at him alone and once he was down your CV was caught in the open like 7km right past him. If you hadn't died going after the Iron Duke, the Ryujo would have only been a few seconds behind you which would have ended the match anyway.

Your Hawkins and Nurnberg threw their ships away in the first 5 minutes, and your DD could have contested the center cap a lot better. Your Fiji kinda died stupidly, too. That would have been a very tough match to carry.

Well played match regardless!

[USCC2]
Members
6,272 posts
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Is that the bit where I say "And it's a crime and a shame that he didn't [kill the Bayern]"? Yeah, that came off a bit harsh, but I was more trying to express regret at his failure (given the eventual consequences) than blaming him for it. He did indeed do as well as he could in the circumstances. It looked for all the world like he still had another flight to take a further shot with and I was wondering at the time why he didn't take it, but maybe I misinterpreted that.

I do know that in his shoes, I would have grabbed the nearest planes I could (rockets, bombs, anything) and gone back for the Bayern until it was thoroughly dead. Perhaps that coloured my impression of the way he played.

You didn't come off harsh :Smile_honoring: More me just agreeing it was a shame - but sometimes luck just doesn't go your way.

I would have also pressed the attack if in the CV. As stated, a good game to watch, thank you.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,245 posts
16,204 battles
44 minutes ago, Epic_Baller said:

If you hadn't died going after the Iron Duke, the Ryujo would have only been a few seconds behind you which would have ended the match anyway.

That makes me feel a lot better.

When I salvoed him and he didn't blow up, I realised that things were finally going the full belly-up. If I'd managed to devstrike the Duke without taking a solid hit in return, I might have been in a position to turn my guns on you and maybe keep you busy enough to let the Ryujo slip away. 

I think it's possible to argue that fate screwed me over a few times - one more shell on each of the Bayern and the Shchors would have made a big difference, as would at least one cit on the Kongo. The Kongo was as good as dead anyway (he evaporated at about the same time as the Gneis did) but killing him earlier would have given us a few more ticks. The other thing that might have made a difference earlier is right at the start where I popped my spotter to get a shot on the London. He disappeared just before I could judge the lead, but what if he'd lost eight or ten thousand HP to AP shells earlier in the battle?

Coulda, woulda, shoulda... didn't. Still a great battle, and one of the losses I'm sort of proud to call my own.

[YARRR]
[YARRR]
Members
259 posts
5,471 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

When I salvoed him and he didn't blow up, I realised that things were finally going the full belly-up. If I'd managed to devstrike the Duke without taking a solid hit in return, I might have been in a position to turn my guns on you and maybe keep you busy enough to let the Ryujo slip away. 

Nope. I was taking pains to avoid exactly that - I spent the whole match avoiding you and the Sinop while bullying everyone else. Towards the end I risked taking a moderately angled shot from you to close with that Texas and get to cover. By the time you engaged the Iron Duke I was free to have my way with that Texas and the Ryujo while being masked from you and Sinop. They were doomed and the win was already a sure thing at that point. Even if you had chosen to focus me exclusively I don't think you'd have gotten another effective volley off at me, and you'd have been at the mercy of 3 of my teammates while trying to engage me as I pretended to be a 60k HP cruiser :Smile_trollface:

While it's always good to break down and critique your own performance, I think even if you had avoided the few minor mistakes you made a win was probably still out of reach - or would have required a major misplay by more than one of our remaining ships.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,245 posts
16,204 battles
10 minutes ago, Epic_Baller said:

While it's always good to break down and critique your own performance, I think even if you had avoided the few minor mistakes you made a win was probably still out of reach - or would have required a major misplay by more than one of our remaining ships.

That's why I put it up with a question mark at the end. It was my feeling that I was if not THE major influencer on my team, at least one of the big ones - and by letting myself get killed like that, I'd both brought the battle to its abrupt end and removed any chance my team had of winning because its heavy hitter was dead. I didn't automatically want to comfort myself with the thought that the battle had been lost by my team dying like flies.

It's rare as rocking horse s**t to be able to discuss and analyze the whole thing with the leading player on the enemy team - especially one who, reading between your lines, considered me a serious threat and took pains to stay out of my way. Last time that happened, a Japanese submarine commander swore under oath that he would have sunk the Indianapolis anyway.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu