Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

The Case For A Tier 3 Italian Battleship

17 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
2,995 posts
24,108 battles

Well It seems to me and a number of others that once again The Regia Marina that has got the "Short End Of The Stick " once more, one only has to look at the low to mid tier Italian Cruisers.

This seems to be a growing trend with several of the preceding lines that have come out,  RN Cruisers, Pan Ikea Destroyers etc etc and finally culminating with the current USN "Sea Snails ".

There are some exceptions of course, Russian Cruisers which most of the community didn't really want apart from fanboys and people that needed to stroke there ego with design of this line.

WG there is still time to ad a Tier 3 battleship to the RM line, here are some ships that might be suitable for it.

This design I believe @IJN_Yamato_BB17 suggested is this ship.  

Regina Elena-class battleship

Regina_Elena_class_diagrams_Brasseys_1912.jpg

Displacement:13,807 long tons (14,029 t)

Length:144.6 m (474 ft)

Beam:22.4 m (73 ft)

Draft:8.58 m (28.1 ft)

Propulsion:2 Triple expansion steam engines

Speed:22 knots (41 km/h; 25 mph)

Range:10,000 nmi (19,000 km; 12,000 mi) at 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph)

Complement:742–764

Armament:

2 × 12-inch (305 mm)/40 guns

12 × 203 mm (8 in)/45 guns

16 × 76 mm (3 in)/40 guns

2 × 17.7 in (450 mm) torpedo tubes

Armor:

Belt: 9.8 in (250 mm)

Turrets: 8 in (200 mm)

Decks: 1.5 in (38 mm)

Conning tower: 10 in (250 mm)

On paper this looks under gunned but it has never stopped WG from altering ship design to fit in the game.

1 example would be to change the single forward and aft turrets to twin guns, change the all 8 inch guns to 12 inch guns, then adding 8 more 3 inch guns to her compliment which was historical for two of her sister ships Roma and Napoli.

A alternative to this would be to amalgamate a number of ships designs in to one ship again something also done by WG in the past.

Regina Margherita-class battleship

Ammiraglio di Saint Bon-class battleship

Combining characteristics of the above two ships classes with Regina Elena-class battleship should do the job.

SAP 

Now people have mentioned this in another post suggesting this could be the reason why there is no Tier 3 because it would be to effective but lets face it the dispersion and accuracy at this Tier will be average at best.

There should be a Tier 3 Italian battleship WG.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
381 posts
3,212 battles
53 minutes ago, tm63au said:

There are some exceptions of course, Russian Cruisers which most of the community didn't really want apart from fanboys and people that needed to stroke there ego with design of this line.

Nicely put.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,482 posts
16,362 battles
1 hour ago, tm63au said:

one only has to look at the low to mid tier Italian Cruisers.

I had a co-op battle in the Taranto (Tier 3) a few weeks ago that'd knock your socks off. Six kills, 80K-plus damage. The vid comes out on Tuesday.

There is nothing at all wrong with the low-tier Italian cruisers.

• Cool 2

[POP]
Members
2,995 posts
24,108 battles
40 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I had a co-op battle in the Taranto (Tier 3) a few weeks ago that'd knock your socks off. Six kills, 80K-plus damage. The vid comes out on Tuesday.

There is nothing at all wrong with the low-tier Italian cruisers.

Hey look your you can have great moments in most ships in this game, true i'm talking my experiences but I have read a lot of posts over time from other players that find the line disappointing.

I plan to get Taranto some time this century as I do want to get the lower Tiers for fun and games in Coop.

cheers

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
2 hours ago, tm63au said:

There should be a Tier 3 Italian battleship WG.

While I don't disagree, WG stopped caring about lower tiers years ago.

There isn't enough player population (apparently) and not enough $$$ to be had by investing in those tiers.

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,784 posts
5,099 battles

After playing Kawachi ooh boy. Drunk Sunday league softball. Stil an adaptation of the Cuniberti design seems within capabilities. Oh well. 

Everything about this release is odd. Three ships are not art ready. No premium announced?

Meanwhile WoT had a slick production video even if it was a bit...loose with history. :Smile_teethhappy:

[BBICT]
Members
3,886 posts
4,243 battles

I don't want to sound too clueless, but are they for sure gonna skip tier 3? Just go to tier 4 from the cruiser line? I guess I missed that, d'oh..

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,784 posts
5,099 battles
33 minutes ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

I don't want to sound too clueless, but are they for sure gonna skip tier 3? Just go to tier 4 from the cruiser line? I guess I missed that, d'oh..

In the live stream it was stated there will not be a tier III. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,482 posts
16,362 battles
59 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

While I don't disagree, WG stopped caring about lower tiers years ago.

The Five Epochs campaign suggests a turnaround in that area, but we can agree to disagree while we wait to see what the future brings.

[SALVO]
Members
6,066 posts
4,995 battles

Regina Elena is a Pre-Dred, in game terms it makes her T2, with her speed and if the secondary battery was given good enough values and if your main guns have a really good sigma (and sap oc) maybe it could be fitted. The biggest problem is only 2 guns in her main battery, with T3 dispersion, that's a no no. The amount of work requiered to balance and fit the ship into the game is out of proportion with the expected result, few people plays T3 BBs and the overwhelming majority will just FXP past her. Sorry but I don't think her to be viable.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The Five Epochs campaign suggests a turnaround in that area, but we can agree to disagree while we wait to see what the future brings.

I hope you are correct, my friend.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,482 posts
16,362 battles
3 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

The amount of work requiered to balance and fit the ship into the game is out of proportion with the expected result, few people plays T3 BBs and the overwhelming majority will just FXP past her.

The only way I see her being viable is matching the 12 inch and 8-inch ballistics and treating it all as primary armament (a piece of handwaving I could live with), or giving her an abnormally long range on the secondaries and giving her the ASM-0 module that the Katori and Yubari enjoy to make a pair of 12-inch even half viable. As a premium, she might be of interest in either one of those contexts.

[SALVO]
Members
6,066 posts
4,995 battles
25 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The only way I see her being viable is matching the 12 inch and 8-inch ballistics and treating it all as primary armament (a piece of handwaving I could live with), or giving her an abnormally long range on the secondaries and giving her the ASM-0 module that the Katori and Yubari enjoy to make a pair of 12-inch even half viable. As a premium, she might be of interest in either one of those contexts.

I confess I would be very curious about a T3 "secondary powerhouse" fast BB, it could be interesting to zip around peppering 203mm secondaries on anyone within 8 km range or something like that, but overall is complicated to make it functional, either pool it together as you say or make 203s primary and have the 2 big guns as an alternate like torps could be more engaging than firing 2 guns every 30 secs. In any case this is a pipe dream, it won't happen. T1-T3 is forlorn. 

[GRAVE]
Members
1,414 posts
19,933 battles
5 hours ago, SparvieroVV said:

Everything about this release is odd. Three ships are not art ready. No premium announced?

I’m not sure why they would of shown off the line when Agleiheri (sp) Cavour and Lepanto are not ready, maybe because Leoanto is a hodgepodge of other designs, or maybe because giving essentially a Nicholai and Cesar (if Cavour is in its 1940 refit) SAP went as well as you’d expect

As for the (most likely) free premium, it’s not uncommon for those premiums not to be first shown off with its respective line. Lazo (RU BB event) was shown off almost 3 months before the first RU BBs were shown. Exeter was shown off Dec 2018, about a month after British CVs were unveiled, and earned just before Brit CVs went live

OK was first revealed one month after the US Super Standards, and will be a collection reward during US BBs part 2 next patch

so maybe the ITL premium will be announced end of this patch, my guess being a T6, maybe Caio Duilio, which is more or less a Cesar just copy pasted into T6 with slightly more range, slightly better reload, and HE, and will be earnable through Directives during Italian BB arc Part 2, likely in February 2021. 

[APEZ]
Members
2,516 posts
8,937 battles

Well

I don't even think RM fan boys will play a tier 3 BB. I understand why WG has decided it's a waste of resources 

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,784 posts
5,099 battles
14 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

Well

I don't even think RM fan boys will play a tier 3 BB. I understand why WG has decided it's a waste of resources 

I mean if Lesta made ops for all tiers it would be a consideration. However PVE content is apparently the devil.

Sign in to follow this