You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CaptainZade_NA

Sorry to Ask But..

10 comments in this topic

[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles

Sorry to keep asking questions over and over in the forums but now that I'll be trying out the DD classes I'll probably try and do CVs for the first time too, so can anyone tell me which CV line to grind? I'm sorry again for asking too much

[TIMT]
Members
1,122 posts
4,481 battles

We just recently discussed this but the thread got buried quite a bit:

Basically, start with US CVs. But please consider your choices, you don't have to join the dark side.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,734 battles

I wouldn't get in a aircraft carrier until you have mastery of destroyers... you have some understanding of the flow of the game and can you read the mini map and meaningfully affect the outcome. Like a thousand games at least.

otherwise it is very likely you will perform poorly, lose,  and learn nothing.  And get yelled at by your teammates

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
11,964 posts
19,495 battles

There is no way I will recommend the CV to any brave lad just wet behind the WOWS bottom keel.

That is the one flavor of ice cream you will have to avoid at all cost for now.

But if you must insist... Someone will enlighten your thirst for mischief.

• Cool 1

[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles
20 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

We just recently discussed this but the thread got buried quite a bit:

Basically, start with US CVs. But please consider your choices, you don't have to join the dark side.

14 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

I wouldn't get in a aircraft carrier until you have mastery of destroyers... you have some understanding of the flow of the game and can you read the mini map and meaningfully affect the outcome. Like a thousand games at least.

otherwise it is very likely you will perform poorly, lose,  and learn nothing.  And get yelled at by your teammates

5 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

There is no way I will recommend the CV to any brave lad just wet behind the WOWS bottom keel.

That is the one flavor of ice cream you will have to avoid at all cost for now.

But if you must insist... Someone will enlighten your thirst for mischief.

From what I can gather, the CV player's got a lot of responsibility so yeah I think I'll stay and try the DDs first,  thanks for the answers though!

[TIMT]
Members
1,122 posts
4,481 battles
34 minutes ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

the CV player's got a lot of responsibility

Well, whether we like it or not the presence of CVs change how the game gets played for all ships and everyone needs to adjust their tactics. At lower tiers this is not that obvious, but at higher tiers this becomes very clear. Thus, in some sense your are correct in that they have a lot of responsibility and if the CV on your team is bad they put their team at a strong disadvantage.

Further, be warned. Many people don't like playing with CVs for a variety of reasons which I shall not mention here (very (!!) controversial subject around here) and CV players are target of a lot of anger and toxicity from some players. From that perspective I would also caution against playing them as this aspect might ruin the experience for a new player.

My general advice is to start multiple lines and just see what you like. unless you are at T5 to T6 you don't really need to focus on any line in particular, and going up 2-3 lines in parallel is beneficial for getting better in all aspects. Don't rush up the tiers, it will only end in frustration.

[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles
19 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

Don't rush up the tiers, it will only end in frustration.

Yeah I think I'm too late for that, already got the Iowa but I don't think I'm a liability for the team since some times I actually do well in it.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,182 posts
1 hour ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

Yeah I think I'm too late for that, already got the Iowa but I don't think I'm a liability for the team since some times I actually do well in it.

Against the advice of others, I would suggest finishing the USN BB line then before I went elsewhere.. You get a huge amount of satisfaction when you pull the trigger and purchase your first Tier X ship. 

Personally, I would also advise you then take a look at  cruisers before going for DDs, sort of a "be the hunter not the hunted" view. DDs will get you just as much negative feedback as CVs. Plus too, you have the potential of sinking a whole lot of friendlies via accidental team kills. 

As to your original question, there are a number of really good CV players who would point you to some of their videos for the starting carrier player. 

I will say tho I am in, somewhat, agreement with everyone here. You can cause a team to lose faster than you can say One Mississippi when you play a CV or a DD. IMO and FWIW. 

All the best. 

• Cool 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,049 posts
11,140 battles
4 hours ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

Sorry to keep asking questions over and over in the forums but now that I'll be trying out the DD classes I'll probably try and do CVs for the first time too, so can anyone tell me which CV line to grind? I'm sorry again for asking too much

Always good to see new players ask questions. That’s what the forums are for in part. I would agree that some more dd games will help with some cv tactics but I think it’s also helpful to understand dd against cv tactics. In any event, I don’t play cv much anymore but have heard from many that the Japanese cv line is very good, especially at high tiers

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,377 posts
16,264 battles

The American carriers are the most user-friendly overall IMHO, and I've played all of them up to T6.

Keep your options open, though. Don't get rid of your Tier 4 US, IJN, UK and German destroyers or move the captains up the instant you finish grinding their successors; the CVs are unlocked from the destroyer line. (This will mean quite a lot of time in the Isokaze, as she is the branchpoint for THREE separate lines - torp DD, gunboat DD, CV).

Don't listen to the bullying sociopaths who want to drive carriers out of the game.

You have the advantage that the T4 grind is much less than it used to be (40,000 XP compared to nearly 70,000 a few months ago).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1