You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Megatron1984

Armory Steel ships (re-poll)

Armory Steel ships (re-poll)  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which Armory Steel ship should I get?

• Franklin D Roosevelt
    • Shikishima
    • Bourgogne
    • Stalingrad
    • Somers
    • None. Convert your steel to coal

9 comments in this topic

Members
33 posts
6,002 battles

The armory changed a lot since my last poll, and I never did get enough steel to get any of the higher tier steel ships (Flint and Black will be missed). But now there are some new steel ships on the block, so let’s take a look.

somers- this DD is still around from earlier. It has 8 127mm guns and 12 torps, a +38 knot speed, and great concealment, as well as the US DD smoke. However, Somers is a bit of a glass cannon. It can’t take the damage it can dish, Even when compared to other DDs. 

stalingrad- the wisened veteran of the steel ships, Stalingrad has been around the longest. It features armor that is solid at long distance, and guns that are accurate at long range and feature good penetration. It also helps that Stalingrad is very tanky for a cruiser, being a mini battleship of sorts. However, getting into close range fights will mean death.

bourgogne- another of the older steel ships, Bourgogne is similar to jean Bart in that it’s a speedy BB with low caliber guns, but a quick reload and MBRB. Bourgogne is a very flexible BB because of its speed and Consumables.

Shikishima- basically, a Yamato with the nine 460mm guns swapped for six 510 mm guns. This gives Shikishima unparalleled danage per shell and penetration. Shiki is perfect for hunting BBs and heavy cruisers, but will struggle to not over penetrate light cruisers and especially DDs at close distance. Because of the size and number of shikishima’s guns, it is not a brawler, and should be in the back for long-range attacks.

Franklin D Roosevelt- this aircraft carrier may just be the “new cancer ship” on the block, but that’s up to personal preference. This ship has TANKY plane squadrons that can dish some  serious damage. The planes are slow and cannot repair, plus they have a very long time before you can come back and execute another strike. Also, no fighter consumable, so you are pretty much a dedicated attacker, and enemy fighters will rip your squadrons apart. But good lord, if you catch a cruiser or BB alone, this ship will be their absolute worst nightmare. 

[ALLY]
Members
353 posts
19,810 battles

Megatron,

To my knowledge, Stalingrad is the oldest.  Not sure their plans to pull anything, but they usually pull the oldest first.  If you do not want to wait for it to possibly come back around or miss out entirely, that is up to you.

C130 signing out.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,478 posts
16,356 battles
5 hours ago, Megatron1984 said:

Flint and Black will be missed

Flint, Black and Neustrashimy will be returning for coal at some point. 

Members
33 posts
6,002 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Flint, Black and Neustrashimy will be returning for coal at some point. 

Really? Sounds neat. Though I’ll probably be saving my coal for other ships.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,478 posts
16,356 battles
3 minutes ago, Megatron1984 said:

Though I’ll probably be saving my coal for other ships.

Oh, by all means. Save it for what interests you. But out of all the coal ships currently available:

a) I don't want any that I haven't already got.

b) Two resource ships that I did want either turned out to be either "Not so good and not for coal" (FDR) or "desirable but not for coal" (Paolo Emilio). 

So I have a whole lot of it lying around (creeping up on 400K) and nothing right now that I want to spend it on. May as well keep it for two ships that would otherwise have been completely out of my reach (Flint, Neustra; I bought Black last Christmas).

[ROXY]
Members
309 posts

Stalingrad is good, but I heard it's boring. I heard from players and Unicums that Bourgogne is very fun. Plus it's immune to citadel damage from AP bombs unlike Stalingrad which nowadays gets nuked by MVR AP bombs. 

All your choice!

[DOG]
Members
1,222 posts
12,699 battles

I have Somers and Bourgogne, and they are both a lot of fun.

Somers has no AA, and the guns fire slowly and the turrets rotate slowly.  But they are still okay.  And the torps are fantastic.

Bougogne is low on HP for a tier X BB, but you can get around this to some extent by using its speed and maneuverability to dodge damage instead of tanking it.  And the reload booster is hilarious, especially since the main guns have a fast reload to begin with.  Secondaries are great.

If you are looking at getting the ship that is most likely to be removed, my money is on Stalingrad.  They are super common, especially in ranked and clan battles.  The general consensus is that the ship is also overpowered.  I never really wanted one, because parking next to an island and bow tanking doesn't sound like fun to me, but if you are just looking for something that does consistent damage and doesn't require you to think too hard at the beginning of a match about what you are going to do...