You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaRaptor

Battle Report: Franklin D. Roosevelt - "Patience Is A Virtue"

44 comments in this topic

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,685 posts
13,038 battles

New Tier X Premium American aircraft carrier Franklin D. Roosevelt plays unlike the majority of carriers in World of Warships. Most flattops are a threat to enemy destroyers, whereas FDR isn't (other than being able to spot them). What she is, however, is a jerk to opposing battleships.

• Meh 2

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

She looks OP to me to be honest.  Those squadrons are much too durable and they do way too much damage to anything but DDs.  Truth be told, it would be an ideal BB for me since I can't dodge flak for anything but I suck.  In the hands of a competent CV player, she is going to be very toxic.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles

Very interesting video and ship, was a good watch.

I doubt I'll get FDR, simply a combination of lack of steAl income, wanting shikishima and FDR looking like something you'd need to play to really know if shes a worthwhile buy.

• Cool 1

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
4 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Very interesting video and ship, was a good watch.

I doubt I'll get FDR, simply a combination of lack of steAl income, wanting shikishima and FDR looking like something you'd need to play to really know if shes a worthwhile buy.

Yeah I will never have enough steel for her so she is never going to be mind even if I wanted her.   Though to be honest, she is probably the only Tier 10 CV I could do well in.

Members
2,440 posts
5,404 battles

More OP ships for the OP Unicum crowd to pad their stats more against people who just try to enjoy the game while not playing try hard clan battles. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,136 posts
26,755 battles
7 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

More OP ships for the OP Unicum crowd to pad their stats more against people who just try to enjoy the game while not playing try hard clan battles. 

Pretty much like Tanks.

Cater to the tryhards, and don’t give a damn about anyone else.

[BONKS]
Members
957 posts
3,767 battles

A CV that hold less influence than all the other T10's. Audacious is a better pick. Time is what this ships needs, to get damage done. Not win. It is not a CV that can carry. It just farms a BB or 2 to death slowly. But with games being on average 10 mins. Some games you don't even get time to do that. Worst CV in it's group. Only good for padding damage numbers. 

• Boring 1

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
Just now, TorpedoBonk said:

A CV that hold less influence than all the other T10's. Audacious is a better pick. Time is what this ships needs, to get damage done. Not win. It is not a CV that can carry. It just farms a BB or 2 to death slowly. But with games being on average 10 mins. Some games you don't even get time to do that. Worst CV in it's group. Only good for padding damage numbers. 

You realize that for some people, carrying isn't what it is all about right?  Me personally, I just want to have fun and get big numbers.  This CV would probably be fun for someone crappy at CVs like me and put up those big numbers.

[SNGNS]
Members
585 posts
6,817 battles
1 minute ago, TorpedoBonk said:

from what i have seen it also does gigantic chunk damage to cruisers. which is kinda important for winning matches.

Members
2,440 posts
5,404 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Pretty much like Tanks.

Cater to the tryhards, and don’t give a damn about anyone else.

And I would love to play clan battles, but I do not have the time (with two kids) to do any. So I’m SOL.

[O7]
Supertester
339 posts
12,971 battles

FDR looks powerful in theory, but is likely one of the weaker CVs in practice. Good at smashing stationary BBs and cruisers but pays with slow strikes and general inflexibility. 

By the time the FDR gets a strike, other CVs can get 2-3 in easily and against different targets. It sucks for the one ship in particular, but an unsuccessful strike sets back the FDR far more than other CVs. 

Watching Gaishu (one of the top CV players on NA) play FDR highlighted his dislike of the new ship. He regretted his purchase after 1 game, which is generally a bad sign. 

Edited by Your_SAT_Score
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,429 posts
14,814 battles
1 hour ago, Midnitewolf said:

She looks OP to me to be honest.  Those squadrons are much too durable and they do way too much damage to anything but DDs.  Truth be told, it would be an ideal BB for me since I can't dodge flak for anything but I suck.  In the hands of a competent CV player, she is going to be very toxic.

The FDR has a high skill floor which SeaRaptor is able to exceed easily with his unicum skills so it will appear over powered. Wait for more average players to get her to get a better feel for over/under powered.

Members
2,440 posts
5,404 battles
24 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The FDR has a high skill floor which SeaRaptor is able to exceed easily with his unicum skills so it will appear over powered. Wait for more average players to get her to get a better feel for over/under powered.

I just watched one of that gaishu streams. Don’t know who he is never heard of him, but he just flew a squadron over entire enemy team in a rank match and did not lose his his squadron. Able to get off 2 strikes. Seriously? 

Edited by Legio_X_

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles
19 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

I just watched one of that gaishu streams. Don’t know who he is never heard of him, but he just flew a squadron over entire enemy team in a rank match and did not lose his his squadron. Able to get off 2 strikes. Seriously? 

you know those giant [edited]squadrons that you only see in some military parade?yeah,they just decided that it would be great if those formations were used in game.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,429 posts
14,814 battles
14 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

The Squadrons are huge and the respawn is glacial so it doesn't take long before it will be toothless. I see the FDR being much like the Smolensk where the people that grabbed it first were well above average.

26 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

He is well above average and trust me you can laugh at the FDR in the hands of average or less players like myself. Overpowered is when players of all skill levels do much better than in other ships of the same type.

[CLUMP]
Members
1,153 posts
1,429 battles

This FDR seems like a tactical CV meaning you really need to think and plan out a strategy  :Smile_bajan2: So I am guessing unicums are going to be a very terrifying force with these :fish_panic:  No reason not be a yolo warrior with one these around in a match :Smile_hiding:

Edited by LastRemnant
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,429 posts
14,814 battles
10 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

you know those giant [edited]squadrons that you only see in some military parade?yeah,they just decided that it would be great if those formations were used in game.

Those huge squadrons look great but the planes are slow and take a lot of damage so most players will not be getting of many more attacks than they do in other CV's.

2 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

This FDR seems like a tactical CV meaning you really need to think and plan out a strategy  :Smile_bajan2: So I am guessing unicums are going to be a very terrifying force with these :fish_panic:  No reason not be a yolo warrior with one these around in a match :Smile_hiding:

This but the flip side is lesser players will be a joke.

Members
2,440 posts
5,404 battles

So the ship is basically a juiced up version of CVs we have today. If the FDR player wants you dead there is nothing you can do about it and it will hurt like heck after every strike. That seems very toxic.

you see planes come in and instead of getting death by a thousand cuts your just gonna say “welp guess im gonna die” 

it seems even with a couple of ships backing u up and supporting you it will not matter. Kindof defeats the purpose of sailing together to negate CV planes strike ability. Yeah nice, fun, and engaging gameplay!

[CLUMP]
Members
1,153 posts
1,429 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Those huge squadrons look great but the planes are slow and take a lot of damage so most players will not be getting of many more attacks than they do in other CV's.

This but the flip side is lesser players will be a joke.

Yeah I would suck really hard with this :Smile_popcorn:At first I would probably get the hang of it but 33k steel and impossibility for me :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[SC]
[SC]
Beta Testers
48 posts
8,570 battles

just played 2 battles against FDR. Russ T9 Soyuz CV killed me in 3 waves. In t10 Brit i was 100% 82,9k hps I squadron of bombers put 5 fires in  2 strikes. FDR followed up with RCKTs and i was sunk. Have defensive fire killed 6 planes. Seems way way op though I admit Im average in BB's.  

[F4E-2]
Alpha Tester
1,060 posts

Seems at a glance like a beefed-up Saipan;  Great in the hands of someone who can adjust to the different style but painful & ineffective if you can’t.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,310 posts
6,358 battles
5 hours ago, SeaRaptor said:

New Tier X Premium American aircraft carrier Franklin D. Roosevelt plays unlike the majority of carriers in World of Warships. Most flattops are a threat to enemy destroyers, whereas FDR isn't (other than being able to spot them). What she is, however, is a jerk to opposing battleships.

Oink, So much those DD player Noobists whined... We get now cruiser and battleships CVs. What is going to happen? The same Noobists playing CA or BB will whine... It's a never ending story. I suggest serious players to join the War on Noobism. Goltz.

• Boring 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,283 posts
11,835 battles

It's like most things, it is somewhat manageable if you understand how it works. Like @gbgentry said above it is basically a super-Saipan. The big differences are Saipan's planes are rather fast for their tier and FDR's are very, very slow for any tier. Also the recovery time after attacking is very, very long so the defending ship has time to maneuver. 

The first time I ran into one in Midway it chunked almost 1/3 of my health off. Once I realized how slow the planes are I realized that the other CV can use fighters to run FDR off of targets.  Any other T10 planes can basically keep ahead of them and drop fighters. Fighters (including catapult fighters) are FDR's biggest bane. Her planes can't outrun them and they will kill them one-for one regardless of health. Best thing is for surface ships to launch floatplanes if FDR's planes are anywhere nearby. 

Rockets are Midway's HVARS but FDR launches a LOT more of them in a single salvo. The reticule is gigantic though and they launch from very far away and are very, very slow traveling. Angle in or out when they are attacking. Anything but a BB or CV will have time to turn into them. DDs can largely ignore them as the arming distance is larger than the  air spotting distance of any DD. Apparently you can almost depth-charge smokescreens with them though since the reticule is so big if the DD fails to enlarge its smoke screen. The last thing is they drop down very low to fire rockets like the German CVs so you can use terrain to block the rockets. From what I've seen its attack planes don't have a fighter consumable either. 

TBs can be treated the same as Midway's. She launches 8 instead of 6 but they do even less damage individually and with an awful aim reticule that never converges. It pretty much can't hit anything other than a stationary GK with all torps and damage on ships with any sort of torpedo defense is very low. Keep moving and angle and the damage is minor. 

The DBs are basically level bombers with Midway bombs so they hit very hard.  They drop from very high though unlike Midway so the drop is very slow forcing you to lead the target a lot and the bomb drop is pretty inaccurate. DDs and nimbler CAs and CLs can change speeds and dodge them while the bombs are falling. 

From facing them and watching video of CCs playing them over the last day or so, it is basically a dedicated battleship buster. It can do work against other classes if they let it, but it mainly feasts on stationary, or slow-moving BBs and supercruisers. Once I realized what I did every time I faced one in Midway I would run around ahead of him and try to drop fighters to cripple his airgroups. 

For air defense beyond fighters you need buffed flak, preferably from a good AA ship that spent captain points and upgrades and has DFAA. You really need that +300% on top of a good buffed base AA number to hurt them. Her airgroups are physically quite large in addition to being slow so they have some difficulty avoiding flak. Most T10 CVs can boost and power through flak, FDR can't do that very easily. On the other hand, continuous AA is absolutely worthless against them on its own. It doesn't do much against most CVs, but it barely scratches FDR's planes at all.  It doesn't do enough damage on its own and any damage you do short of killing the plane is basically wasted. 

I'm not sure how much use FDR will be for anything other than randoms though where it basically has 5 BBs to hunt in every match. It is probably one of the worst CVs for area control and team vision. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,685 posts
13,038 battles
On 10/1/2020 at 9:31 PM, Tzarevitch said:

I'm not sure how much use FDR will be for anything other than randoms though where it basically has 5 BBs to hunt in every match.

Concur.  This is not a ship that will see a lot of play in competitive modes, IMHO.  She's too specific, too focused on harassing capital ships.  Competitive modes need more flexibility.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:31 PM, Tzarevitch said:

It is probably one of the worst CVs for area control and team vision. 

Here I'm not sure I agree.  The fact that FDR does a really good job of beating up and driving back enemy battleships means that if she chooses her targets smartly, she can have a BIG impact on area control by forcing the other team's board control pieces away from the action where they are less impactful.  Vision wise is a double-edged sword.  I don't mention it in the video, but her rocket planes do NOT have fighters.  That hurts her vision possibilities.  However, the fact that her planes have so much HP means that they can potentially stay "on station" a lot longer and get critical spotting damage when it's needed to finish off a target.  The key is (a) having a CV player that knows to do that, and (b) having a team that will take advantage of it.  In randoms that's going to be challenging, but the opportunity is there for FDR to do critical spotting that other CVs might struggle with.

• Cool 1