Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snarky_Wombat

Turret damage changes, have I got the details right?

3 comments in this topic

Members
913 posts
2,737 battles

So WG said to stop the "zero damage penetration" ribbons they are changing the way turrets take damage.  I mean they could have just change the ribbon from a penetration to non-penetration or just left it as is, seems pretty simple to me.  Ok, sure, it's just another weird WG way of doing easy things the hard way I guess.

Regarding the new damage model, is this about right?

• A turret now has 50% less HP. 
  • If a shell penetrates after a bounce check it will do 3.3 times (330%) less damage to the turret HP pool than the previous damage method.  What is that in terms of a shell's maximum damage?
  • A penetrated turret will also apply 10% maximum shell damage to the ship's hull HP.
  • Damage done to ship hull HP by turret damage is treated as light damage.

What does "The barbette models have been updated" actually mean?  Assuming the HP pool but it may not.

Yes? No?

Edited by Snarky_Wombat

[WOLFG]
Beta Testers
4,320 posts

A turret now has 50% less HP. 

Self-explanatory. If for example a turret had 20000 hit points, they've been decreased to 10000.

If a shell penetrates after a bounce check it will do 3.3 times (330%) less damage to the turret HP pool than the previous damage method.  What is that in terms of a shell's maximum damage?

The maximum damage a turret could take before these changes was equal to 33% of the maximum shell damage. Montana's AP shells deal a maximum of 13500 damage, so in the previous damage method they could deal 4455 damage to a turret. In this new system, the damage that turrets take from penetrating hits is equal to 10% of the maximum shell damage, so the same Montana AP shell now can only deal 1350 damage to a turret on a penetrating hit. Given that turrets now take 3.3x less damage and have 2x less HP,  they're actually more durable than before by a small margin.

A penetrated turret will also apply 10% maximum shell damage to the ship's hull HP.

That's to prevent zero damage penetrations, and reduce overall ship survivability. I suppose they want people to die faster on top of reducing confusion?

Damage done to ship hull HP by turret damage is treated as light damage.

Light damage is 100% repairable by the Repair Party consumables, just like Fire and Flooding damage.

"The barbette models have been updated"

Usually this just means they corrected the armor and models of the barbettes for some ships that were incorrect, and should have little noteworthy gameplay impact.

Edited by ICodyVenomChl
  • Thanks 1

Members
913 posts
2,737 battles
56 minutes ago, ICodyVenomChl said:

Self-explanatory. If for example a turret had 20000 hit points, they've been decreased to 10000. 

Yes thank you, that was rather obvious. 

The maximum damage a turret could take before these changes was equal to 33% of the maximum shell damage. Montana's AP shells deal a maximum of 13500 damage, so in the previous damage method they could deal 4455 damage to a turret. In this new system, the damage that turrets take from penetrating hits is equal to 10% of the maximum shell damage, so the same Montana AP shell now can only deal 1350 damage to a turret on a penetrating hit. Given that turrets now take 3.3x less damage and have 2x less HP,  they're actually more durable than before by a small margin. 

Are you sure about that?  The text is "The amount of damage dealt to the main battery turret modules in case of a penetration has been reduced 3.3 times."

But how that interacts with the "Any damage dealt to a main battery turret also entails damage to the ship in the amount of 1/10 of the maximum damage of the shell." point seems a little unclear to me at least.  My read is the turret will take 330% less damage that it did before, applied to a turret HP pool 50% smaller than it was pre-change and the ship HP pool also takes 10% of the max shell damage per penetration to the turret.  Two separate calculations.

I would like to know what the actual damage calculations are.

That's to prevent zero damage penetrations, and reduce overall ship survivability. I suppose they want people to die faster on top of reducing confusion?

I wasn't asking why.  It was a statement I believe is correct, but this where the 10% part comes from.  I believe the ship hull takes 10% max shell damage alongside the separate equation for the turret HP pool.

Light damage is 100% repairable by the Repair Party consumables, just like Fire and Flooding damage.

Yes, thank you.  I wasn't asking what it meant.  Seems like it is classed as repairable "light damage".

Usually this just means they corrected the armor and models of the barbettes for some ships that were incorrect, and should have little noteworthy gameplay impact. 

Yes, generally, but in the context of this change I would like to know what it actually means. 

For the others playing at home this is correct?  Answers to the other two questions posed would be fantastic too.

• A turret now has 50% less HP. 
  • If a shell penetrates after a bounce check it will do 3.3 times (330%) less damage to the turret HP pool than the previous damage method.  What is that in terms of a shell's maximum damage?
  • A penetrated turret will also apply 10% maximum shell damage per shell penetration to the ship's hull HP.
  • Damage done to ship hull HP by turret damage is treated as light damage.

What does "The barbette models have been updated" actually mean?  Assuming the HP pool but it may not.

Cheers.

Edited by Snarky_Wombat

Sign in to follow this