You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Smarter Bots?

8 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
5,873 posts
18,075 battles

Had a battle where the best and worst examples of bot behavior were demonstrated.

Looked bad from the start as there were 7 green bots on our team. Me in a Jutland. Other human in a Pomm. Map had 3 caps, east- west across the middle.

Things actually progressed pretty balanced for losses. Midway thru the match I saw a red bot cruiser fire torpedoes out the wrong side of the ship. (no possible targets in the direction of the launch). Definitely a target on his other side. Dumb bot

A bit later it was me and our Pomm vs  a Pomm and  a cruiser. Enemy Pomm was in my sights in C cap and I put 5 torps into it, but it did not sink.  Friendly Pomm was over 15K away killing the red cruiser. I tried to smoke up but was hydro'd (bot using a consumable correctly!) and killed waiting for my torps to load. Green Pomm was much healthier than the red Pomm so it should still be an easy win. He even was coming out ahead in the initial exchange of salvos.

Red Pomm disappeared behind an island heading NE while capping C. Our Pomm moved to intercept on the north side of the island. Red Pomm instead made about a 270 degree turn and came out (hidden from view) heading straight east to the B cap. Didn't know he was there until B started turning red. Green Pomm had to reverse course  and come back around the island to get to  guns on target. Red ship continued east after being spotted heading for A cap directly away from our Pomm. We had no caps and red team was pulling ahead on points as they now had B and C caps.

Normally I would expect the red ship to charge directly at the last remaining green ship but this one seemed to comprehend it had less HP so would lose a gunfight but they could win on points. Fortunately our last man standing managed to finally run down and kill the red bot before time ran out. Seems a very strange behavior for a bot. Never knew bot were programmed to cap instead of chasing down the enemy.

[WOLF1]
Members
565 posts
1,540 battles

Well i recently brawled a bot Musashi and won....the bot never saw my Helena 2km away blasting away with every gun on the ship and didn’t turn its large 18inch guns to smack a couple citadels into my Helena, too busy engaging a target 17km away.

:cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo:

Edited by Boomer625

[WOLF9]
Members
4,671 posts
3 hours ago, Boomer625 said:

Well i recently brawled a bot Musashi and won....the bot never saw my Helena 2km away blasting away with every gun on the ship and didn’t turn its large 18inch guns to smack a couple citadels into my Helena, too busy engaging a target 17km away.

:cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo:

Ah yes,  gotta love the "special" bots, lol.  

Unless, of course, YOU are that ship way over yonder getting buttraped by shots from the blue.    In my last DD game, my Sims was gutted for 2/3 of it's health, and all modules blown out  by a single salvo from an RN BB  in A cap (I was in C)- who was completely ignoring the DD/CL combo that was about to yolo torp it...    With a Helena and a BB in my face, that was the last thing I needed.

Come to think of it,  that's the game that caused me to put any further DD play on indefinite hiatus.     As I seem to ALWAYS get "THOSE" bots whenever I play one.

The phenominon of the running, capping lone BB isn't new- I've seen it often over the last couple of years.   Those are truly annoying as well, lol.   Running away bots seem to have magic dispersion powers- shots fired at them always disperse wildly and any hits tend to do little damage.   Thus it takes forever to whittle one down.   On the plus side, if you wait for it to start capping before you shoot, you can amass quite a collection of cap defense ribbons, lol.

[CVA16]
Members
5,873 posts
18,075 battles

Had a game today where:

1) I didn't freeze up and have to exit and reenter the game

2) the bot CV was actually hitting me with dive bombers on a regular basis. 

Driving a Mogami so not the best AA. When attacked by a bot CV I usually hit the sector AA and go about my business. The bombs usually fall harmlessly aft. Torps may need dodging and rockets are a joke. This time I noted I was getting hit by the DB on about half of the attack runs and many of the other were close straddles. I eventually killed the CV but it was suddenly not a sure thing as my HP was kinda low. It seemed attacks from the  behind had the best chance to land hits.

WG tweak the CV ai?

Rocket planes were still a joke however. 

[WPORT]
Members
7,142 posts
12,161 battles

They (the 'Bots) might be a tad more competent at CV play in the higher tiers.  Mogami plays in the higher-tier match-making.

Thanks for the report.  :-)

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
6 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

They (the 'Bots) might be a tad more competent at CV play in the higher tiers.  Mogami plays in the higher-tier match-making.

Thanks for the report.  :-)

I noticed carrier bots landing more hits than they normally would(aka 0) with dive bombers and rockets at all tiers(if the squadron made it through AA).

It seems rare though, and that mag ne just from me driving ships with less AA than im used to.

• Thanks 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,873 posts
18,075 battles
15 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

and rockets at all tiers

Still seems like the bots can't use rockets. They launch from too close in every time and the rockets all fall well off the opposite side of the ship. They might get a hit on a fast ship from the stern, but I have only been hit by bot rockets  a few times since the rework.  Bomb and torp hits are uncommon but do happen with the uptick in bomb hits noted above.