You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
rabidrabit

FDR vs Midway?

15 comments in this topic

Members
285 posts
19,446 battles

Any reason to want the FDR beyond to have another tier 10?  It has AP rockets?  Any reason to have it over the Midway?  Debating whether to buy it or just keep waiting.

Members
171 posts
5,740 battles

FDR plays very different from any current CV from what I understand, even the Midway.

For example, it doesn't have the ability to drop fighters, its planes are slow (compared to other planes, still much faster than any ship in the game), it has a whopping 25 second waiting period between drops, etc.

BUT it also has like 14 planes per flight, each with so much HP you basically ignore continuous AA DPS (Flack still hurts), and each attack (2 planes per run, for 7 attack runs per flight) has ridiculous damage potential (26 rockets per plane, 4 torps per plane, etc.).

It looks fun, but don't get it because you want something that is similar to other CVs. Its a completely different beast.

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,285 posts
11,850 battles
2 minutes ago, JimmyTheRealPirate said:

FDR plays very different from any current CV from what I understand, even the Midway.

For example, it doesn't have the ability to drop fighters, its planes are slow (compared to other planes, still much faster than any ship in the game), it has a whopping 25 second waiting period between drops, etc.

BUT it also has like 14 planes per flight, each with so much HP you basically ignore continuous AA DPS (Flack still hurts), and each attack (2 planes per run, for 7 attack runs per flight) has ridiculous damage potential (26 rockets per plane, 4 torps per plane, etc.).

It looks fun, but don't get it because you want something that is similar to other CVs. Its a completely different beast.

^This.  To add: 

Rocket planes it only use HVARs. No option to use Tiny Tims. It fires a metric buttload of them though with a gigantic reticule. It also drops down and fires them very low into the side of ships like the German AP rockets, so terrain is an issue. The reticule also is far away so it can't spot a DD and arm the rockets, and the rockets travel slow.

For TBs, it drops 8 torps per drop (each plane drops 4). Torps are slow, individually do even less damage than Midway's and the launch tracks never converge. They fan out so it is unlikely you will ever hit with all of them except on a really big stationary BBs. 

The bombers are level bombers like the UK CVs. They seem to drop fewer bombs though and they individually hit hard but the bomb fall is very slow. 

• Cool 1

Members
16 posts
3,691 battles
8 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

^This.  To add: 

Rocket planes it only use HVARs. No option to use Tiny Tims. It fires a metric buttload of them though with a gigantic reticule. It also drops down and fires them very low into the side of ships like the German AP rockets, so terrain is an issue. The reticule also is far away so it can't spot a DD and arm the rockets, and the rockets travel slow.

For TBs, it drops 8 torps per drop (each plane drops 4). Torps are slow, individually do even less damage than Midway's and the launch tracks never converge. They fan out so it is unlikely you will ever hit with all of them except on a really big stationary BBs. 

The bombers are level bombers like the UK CVs. They seem to drop fewer bombs though and they individually hit hard but the bomb fall is very slow. 

The DB bombs IIRC are the upgraded midway bombs. They drop 4 per plane.

[GRETA]
Members
1,249 posts
10,108 battles

I predict FDR is going to be an absolute monster in clan battles.   Limited ships and the ability to control the pace of the match will make the FDR strengths shine.  For randoms it's probably a toss up depending on what all  the  random players do.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,734 posts
7,251 battles
1 hour ago, JimmyTheRealPirate said:

It only loses fighters on its rocket planes, other than that all else seems accurate

[LODGE]
Members
15 posts
12,235 battles

they are both just ship that play coop in randoms.  The surface ship has 'priority sector' big woop.  As your just playing against the AI  it is just glorified coop. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,714 posts
1 hour ago, rabidrabit said:

Any reason to want the FDR beyond to have another tier 10?  It has AP rockets?  Any reason to have it over the Midway?  Debating whether to buy it or just keep waiting.

Think of the FDR as a CV "battleship" -- it attacks more slowly but its planes are tankier and pack a bigger punch.

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,558 posts
25,385 battles
27 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

I predict FDR is going to be an absolute monster in clan battles.   Limited ships and the ability to control the pace of the match will make the FDR strengths shine.  For randoms it's probably a toss up depending on what all  the  random players do.

I disagree. A random team doesn't take into account overlapping AA, whereas a clan worth its name will account for that. Yes, those planes are tanky but they can ignore AA if that AA is coordinated (or simply stacked high enough) and in return, the plane replacement rate is 2 to 3 times higher for FDR than any other CV. FDR also cant counter DDs well, and honestly, the torps and bombs can honestly be partially dodged by cruisers that are moving. Here's iChase's video. Yes, he seems to do well but read between the lines. He's attacking randoms that are spaced out and most of his damage is simply from battleships, some of which aren't moving all to much. He doesn't target but one DD all match and doesn't actually damage it before it's killed and really does limited damage against cruisers.  About 14k to Yoshino and 16K to Buffalo in total out of 244,000 (46,700 of which is fire and flooding).

[FML]
Members
4,120 posts
16,057 battles
46 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Think of the FDR as a CV "battleship" -- it attacks more slowly but its planes are tankier and pack a bigger punch.

Hmm. I was thinking that the FDR was the CV you play when you want to demolish an enemy CV at the start of the match. It’s plane HO is so high that even CV AA won’t shoot them all down; carriers are also more likely to be stationary behind an island.

True, they are also great against stopped or reversing BBs - my JB got utterly thumped by a super tester, where my 25k AA damage on the approach appeared to have no effect - so those BBs would be good secondary targets. 

But FDR looks like the CV to get if you hate enemy CVs. Similar concept - but utterly different method of execution - to a pre-rework AS Saipan, I think. 

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,268 posts
2 hours ago, Capt_6iron said:

they are both just ship that play coop in randoms.  The surface ship has 'priority sector' big woop.  As your just playing against the AI  it is just glorified coop. 

Huh?

Every ship in the game that has any AA, has priority sector. The FDR is a T10 CV that can only be had with steel.  It can be played in any mode.

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
785 posts
4,952 battles
5 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Hmm. I was thinking that the FDR was the CV you play when you want to demolish an enemy CV at the start of the match. It’s plane HO is so high that even CV AA won’t shoot them all down; carriers are also more likely to be stationary behind an island.

True, they are also great against stopped or reversing BBs - my JB got utterly thumped by a super tester, where my 25k AA damage on the approach appeared to have no effect - so those BBs would be good secondary targets. 

But FDR looks like the CV to get if you hate enemy CVs. Similar concept - but utterly different method of execution - to a pre-rework AS Saipan, I think. 

I doubt it. 

The planes are so slow it will take forever to get to the enemy CV, and although you are right about the AA, remember that CVs can launch a CAP whenever they're spotted. 

The FDR planes are so slow they are likely to be intercepted before they even strike. 

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,304 posts
9,903 battles
5 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

FDR would be a horrible CV to use to snipe another CV. 

It doesn't matter how high the HP is on FDR planes, CAP always takes out planes on a 1 to 1 basis and losing all those planes at once means losing a major strength in FDR for the remainder of the game as the regen is abysmal

Plus the planes are really slow for tier 10 maps and the amount of time needed to even kill a stationary CV would take too long to make it even worth it.

Beta Testers
968 posts
4,151 battles
9 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

CAP fighters and Tier X CV flak will chew up FDR. The flights are big and slow and its 30s between attacks. So multiple trips through fighters and flak as that's literally enough time for the target CV to launch multiple extra CAP. 

No, what FDR is going to be for is if someone is isolated (only their own flak) it will kill them.

[NUWES]
Members
3,285 posts
11,850 battles
11 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I ran into several in Midway just before it left testing. I thought it was basically just a Midway until it took about 1/3 of my health off with the rockets in a couple of passes. IT does hit other CVs very hard, but that is only if you let it. It is actually an easy CV for other CVs to counter if they put effort into it. FDR's planes are massively vulnerable to fighters because they are so slow and fighters don't care about plane health. Any T10 CV has planes that can just run around ahead of FDR's planes and drop fighters in its path which it can't easily escape. When I switched to doing that it worked well and nearly deplaned him. 

I don't have FDR and will probably never get enough steel to get it, but I graphed out FDR's planes and damage a while back and the only place where she is significantly nastier than Midway is the rockets. Damage from the TBs and the bombers is not noticeably different from what Midway puts out. The difference is in how it does it (more weaker torpedoes for example with the TBs). FDR's damage tends to be based on sustained attacks from the group of planes in the air. It also has the worst overall plane regen in the game. It puts Saipan to shame. It doesn't have a lot of planes on deck either.

For the most part FDR is a T10 Saipan. It fights the match with the planes it started the match with and it has to make do with those. The difference is Saipan's planes are tough and fast for their tier and can use speed to dash away from fighters. FDR's planes are REALLY tough, but are quite slow and that limits their flexibility. 

For CVs facing FDR - Harass him with fighter consumables. He can't run from you. At minimum it'll force him to hard turn and spend a lot of time looking for a new target with slow planes. If you do it well you can trap his planes with the fighters a kill a lot of them. You can rinse and repeat it and there is really nothing he can do about it. Try and save some fighters for the endgame though because that's when FDR becomes really powerful as defensive AA and ship numbers facing it decline. 

For other ships facing FDR - The most powerful thing, amusingly, is floatplane fighters for the same reasons. They don't care about health. The slow speed of FDR's planes means it can't outrun them and it takes a while for FDR's slow planes to get into position so you have time to get the planes in the air. Every ship nearby should be launching them. Next best thing is buffed flak via upgrades and DFAA. You need that +300% on top of a high base number so that the flak can kick the damage into yellow on the planes. Continuous AA is nearly worthless against FDR's planes. It can't kill them fast enough to make a difference without the flak. They won't even notice the damage. 

• Cool 1